overwhelmed by practice passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txprodigal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i started my mcat prep about two weeks ago for the june 18 administration

my goal is to work through BR/Nova physics, BR chemistry, EK bio and 1001 bio, EK verbal 101, and EK/BR organic and then just take practice tests afterwards while working through practice passages in the PR science workbook.

i have been really pushing myself to do ALL the problems from the chapter i cover each day, but i am feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

is it really necessary to do all the problems in a particular BR chapter, Nova chapter, and EK 101/1001 to get a high score (35-40ish range)?

i plan on taking 11 full length practice tests (including AAMC #3-10) beginning the middle of march until test time (roughly 1/week)

should i just hit at least one passage from each topic, do as many of the rest that i can and call it a day? how have you guys approached it?

i have a tough semester ahead of me, so i am 90% sure i will not be able to devote as much time to the mcat during the semester (5-20 hrs/week) as i have over the break (30-50 hrs/week).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude, my plan is EXACTLY like yours. Looks like you did your research well and got the best books.

I have EK Verbal 101, EK 1001 Bio, BR Physics and BR Gen. Chem, and EK Ochem.

I made a schedule for myself where I do each section of BR entirely every 2 days, and 6 passages of Bio. for 1001, and 1 Verbal Test.

I however have a fairly relaxed semester, but this is definitely keeping me immensely busy. Good luck with it man.

EK Bio isnt really a good book IMO. It's way to condensed. If you look at the 30+ tips thread, the majority of students making 12+ in the Bio section used either TPR or Kaplan. EK 1001 Bio is excellent, though. Just my 2 cents.

Make sure that you don't sacrifice your current studies for MCAT study time. Doing lots of practice problems is definitely important, but it may be unrealistic to be in school and still do all the practice problems from a number of resources. Do as many practice problems as you can but definitely focus on the areas in which you are weaker.

Do as much as you can in the time you have but don't burn out!

Good luck with the studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, my plan is EXACTLY like yours. Looks like you did your research well and got the best books.

I have EK Verbal 101, EK 1001 Bio, BR Physics and BR Gen. Chem, and EK Ochem.

I made a schedule for myself where I do each section of BR entirely every 2 days, and 6 passages of Bio. for 1001, and 1 Verbal Test.

I however have a fairly relaxed semester, but this is definitely keeping me immensely busy. Good luck with it man.

good luck to you too!

EK Bio isnt really a good book IMO. It's way to condensed. If you look at the 30+ tips thread, the majority of students making 12+ in the Bio section used either TPR or Kaplan. EK 1001 Bio is excellent, though. Just my 2 cents.

i have kaplan and i will be supplementing ek with that - thanks for the input.

Make sure that you don't sacrifice your current studies for MCAT study time. Doing lots of practice problems is definitely important, but it may be unrealistic to be in school and still do all the practice problems from a number of resources. Do as many practice problems as you can but definitely focus on the areas in which you are weaker.

Do as much as you can in the time you have but don't burn out!

Good luck with the studying!

thanks, i'm taking bio I, physics II, and organic I in the spring while TAing chemistry and biology II, so i'm hoping for the best!

hey guys, i started my mcat prep about two weeks ago for the june 18 administration

my goal is to work through BR/Nova physics, BR chemistry, EK bio and 1001 bio, EK verbal 101, and EK/BR organic and then just take practice tests afterwards while working through practice passages in the PR science workbook.

i have been really pushing myself to do ALL the problems from the chapter i cover each day, but i am feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

is it really necessary to do all the problems in a particular BR chapter, Nova chapter, and EK 101/1001 to get a high score (35-40ish range)?

i plan on taking 11 full length practice tests (including AAMC #3-10) beginning the middle of march until test time (roughly 1/week)

should i just hit at least one passage from each topic, do as many of the rest that i can and call it a day? how have you guys approached it?

i have a tough semester ahead of me, so i am 90% sure i will not be able to devote as much time to the mcat during the semester (5-20 hrs/week) as i have over the break (30-50 hrs/week).

You DO NOT have to do all the BR passages. The key is to do passages in your WEAK areas. If you feel strong in translational motion, then do a few and if you do well then move on. Good luck.

thanks, i'm taking bio I, physics II, and organic I in the spring while TAing chemistry and biology II, so i'm hoping for the best!

A few question real quick-

-How can you TA bio 2 if you are IN bio 1?!

-You might want to wait on the MCAT...if you're JUST starting Orgo and bio and hoping to do well in June it could be rough! Many students taking MCAT have already had 3 yrs bio and 3 yrs chemistry...but I wish you the best of luck!

i can TA,, cuz i'm a bad ***** ****** (i took bio 2 before bio 1)

i am a post - bacc., so my situation is unique

cool, me too! at my school bio 2 wasn't really connected to bio 1... depends on the school though...