Pacific U (Part II): Roll Call and Info Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is your new home for discussion. Enjoy. :cool:

Here is a link to the old thread in case you want to access it quickly for reference:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=309440

Important Links for Pacific U:

Pacifc's Computer Store Link
http://www.pacificu.edu/uis/generalinfo/computer_purchases.cfm

Pacific's FAQ for students apply for Fall 07 (has not yet been updated for Fall 08)
http://www.pacificu.edu/pharmd/conta...cyFAQs_000.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

I miss the old thread...but anyway. Nothing new to say, except that in my new job I no longer have constant internet access, and thus haven't been posting lately! The weather is starting to get nice in Portland...this summer will be great. I hope out-of-staters get to move to Portland a bit before school starts so they can enjoy the best time of year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Its odd that the mod picked now to stop the thread??? The reasoning of having +1000 threads is a little late considering the number was 11xx - oh well...

Eddie - did you get the info that I posted at the end of the original thread?

~above~

Sorry for not stopping it right at 1000...I took care of it when I noticed. I'll try to do better the next time. :p

I know you guys would have preferred to keep the old thread, sorry about that. :)

Eddie - did you get the info that I posted at the end of the original thread?

~above~

Yeah, I got that last message. Thanks for the info.

Pharm47, I will definitely make a trip in June to enjoy the nice weather. I really can't wait. Hope working in a pharmacy is going well for you. Cause retail can be harsh the first few months.

To the next 1000 posts!

Hello class of 2010!
I hope everybody is doing great! I was able to discover two new brand homes that are close to the school. The homes are just a minute walk from the school and i have pictures taken from the porch of the home showing the Pharmacy building. These are brand new homes, no one has ever lived in them.

It is a three bedroom home with 2 1/2 bath. The land lord is asking for $1275 and that will pass for a good deal considering the proximity to school ( One minute walk)

Any way, currently I have two of your classmates talking to the landlord but they need other students to share with. The land lord has two home available next to each other. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you pictures and the land lord info.

Best of luck in all you do until we see you all by Fall.
God bless!

OOOOOH!!! MEEEEEE!!! SEND SEND

Thanks Kenny.

Last edited:
OOOOOH!!! MEEEEEE!!! SEND SEND!

[email protected]

Thanks Kenny.

I just e-mailed you. Let me if you are interested and I will mail you the paper work, link you with your other classmate and then give you the landlord info. Have a great weekend.

I am definitely interested also. Could you email me pictures and more info? My email is [email protected] Thanks for all of your help!

Yes, the place looks pretty awesome. Thank you for being so helpful in this transition process Kenny!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the place looks pretty awesome. Thank you for being so helpful in this transition process Kenny!

You are so welcome! That is the least I could do to help out.
See you all soon!

Hey guys,
Do you guys have any idea when Pacific's going to send out an updated waiting list?
i've been waiting..... hehehe

Hey guys,
Do you guys have any idea when Pacific's going to send out an updated waiting list?

Kent said sometime in the next couple of weeks - that was around mid March. They may be shooting for an early April, late March update - notifying not just one, but a few people all at the same time...

If anyone has some concrete info - please post... This is all speculation on my part - If it were me - I dont think I would want to continually update the list - one at a time...

~above~

Hey guys,

Well I just received an update letter dated March 22. Thing is, I'm still the same number I was before so I guess it hasn't moved at all yet...boo:(

Well - it was a pretty ineffective update letter wasn't it (insert bad humor here)??? Sorry to hear that Rach - I was hoping they would be sending out like 10 acceptances or so... inviting 1 thru 10 at the same time....

It seems like this year's theme - hurry up and wait! Thanks for the update though Rachel - curious... yet again I receive nothing :confused:

~above~

In regards to the new house, I would love to jump on it but I just can't commit to something as important as housing without seeing the final product first. I know I'll probably regret this later on but whatever. Looks like Tanasbourne is where I'll sign up with come June/July. Hopefully there may still be spots left for the house ACROSS THE STREET from PU, but highly doubt it.

Seth, Rach, hang in there.

Eddie....I just received rejection letter from Loma Linda University hahahahha...the letter is very short and simple. Anyways, I don't want to go to that school ;)

Hey guys!

So, I have emailed the contact person concerning the Walgreens job/intership that we were told about in the email. I haven't heard anything yet.... does anyone else know anything about this at all? I just sent the email on Tuesday, so maybe I will hear something by the end of the week... I will keep everyone posted in case anyone else is interested. Apparently, 3/4 of the current class does this.

Also, I see that Pacific recommends buying either a Dell Latitude D620 or a MacBook. I am not very educated on computers. Does anyone know anything about these two or what would be better?

SHHHH! No Mac vs PC debate. :) But my only advice (and the only one I'll follow) is to buy a mid-priced laptop since anything fancy will be outdated in a year. ALL laptops will eventually break and become a heavy paper weight.

I'm personally going for a Dell E1405 ($799 shipped deal from Dell) laptop since I'm a PC user. The MACs are all really expensive but I've heard nothing but great things about them. I just can't justify spending over $1000 for a laptop for school purposes only and the entry model Mac Powerbooks ($799-$999) don't do it for me. I'd LOOOVE to get a MacBook pro though but at $1799 for a 15 inch model, wow!

I have both a PC and a Mac - My PC is in the xp64 class... and my Mac is an Ibook G3 ($200 off the net) It was cheap, and I needed something just to type lecture notes.

Mac's definitely age better. My G3 Ibook from 2002 runs the latest and greatest operating system (Tiger OSX) Its only a 700 mhz machine - so that is pretty nice

The big issue though with Mac is getting anything special to run on it. I use Safari (web browser) and Office (Microsoft variety) - thats it...

My PC I use for gaming, media streaming (especially DVR) - I wouldn't dream of doing such things with a MAC - no one can write the software AND make it available.

I will be buying a PC laptop when the time gets a bit closer - I really want a tablet though - didnt we have a discussion about Tablets earlier...

~above~

Hi guys...where did you guys see the PC requirement? I did not see it in the school's website.
Hmmhh... I don't know if I need to buy another PC or not.

Hi Ammarha,

Thats interesting..so 3/4ths of the current P1 class works or interns at Walgreens? Is this the same as the experiential every-other-week-pharmacy-gig that the school sets up?

Hey guys!

So, I have emailed the contact person concerning the Walgreens job/intership that we were told about in the email. I haven't heard anything yet.... does anyone else know anything about this at all? I just sent the email on Tuesday, so maybe I will hear something by the end of the week... I will keep everyone posted in case anyone else is interested. Apparently, 3/4 of the current class does this.

Also, I see that Pacific recommends buying either a Dell Latitude D620 or a MacBook. I am not very educated on computers. Does anyone know anything about these two or what would be better?

I got an updated waitlist today dated March 22 and my position did not change also. :(

Hey guys!

Ammarha, where did you get this info? I've been anticipating buying a new laptop, but was waiting to hear Pacific's requirements...

Hey everyone!

All I did was reply to the email the acceptees received from Peter, the Student Ambassador President. I just asked him a few questions about the internship and the laptops. If you want I can forward anyone the email reply. Here is a few excerpts:

Okay for the lap top, check this > >> website form the school link. Make a choice of which one. They have >> > all specifications of what the Lab top should come with. > >> http://www.pacificu.edu/uis/generalinfo/computer_purchases.cfm>

And this is what Peter had to say about the Walgreens internship:

As >> per Job, Walgreens hired almost 3/4 of my class and are still > >> hiring. They hire the students and pay them as an intern hoping >> that > at the end of their first year, they should get thier intern >> license. > so if you are interested in their Job, I will talk to >> the lady and get > you all the information you need and you will do >> all the necessary > test and once that is done , you are hired. They pay 16.50 an hour for the first year and it > increases >> as you get into a new class.
As per job some of the students work for walgreen, others for longs and some for Cosco. I work twice in two weeks when I pass my test or like now that we have our spring break.I know other students who work once a week come rain or sunshine. I think it is a thing of personal decision and know your ability as per the material you are currently studying in each block.

Hope this helps guys!

And thanks again Peter aka Kenny for the great information and all the help!!!!

What I am not positive about is whether or not we HAVE to choose from the DELL Latitude or the MacBook in the website...... or if it is just recommended. I will call or have Peter clarify this. I was also thinking about the Inspiron that Eddie has, since I don't want to spend a whole lot either. It seems like it would be perfect for what we need if for in school..... unless you plan on doing some hard core gaming with it. Anyway, I will see what I can find out.

So after doing a little searching... this was the only bit of decent info I could find...

http://www.payscale.com/mypayscale.aspx?pid=450fd2d7-4c2a-485a-81ed-7f88478dcd7d

Hopefully that link will work - It is to payscale - for which I made a search for pharmacy intern with 0 years of experience (none of us have been real Pharmacy interns yet) The average pay was 14.xx / hour - making the intern deal with Walgreens pretty nice.

- I have read on other posts by students in the portland area of making near 23.xx / hour - if anyone knows more about those jobs - feel free to PM me (hahah)

~above~

You can get any laptop you want. I remember a P1 at my interview told me she got the cheapest $500 laptop she could find and it's fine for her. While she also sees a few of her classmates have the crazy $3000 laptops.

Believe it or not, Wags $16.50/hr is about the lowest for a first year intern in the state of Oregon. Safeway pays $18+/hr and others can go into the low 20's. Kaiser pays it's interns $33/hr, but the positions are very competitive. I'm working for Wags now, but I'm probably going to move to safeway after I get my intern license in 8 weeks.

So after doing a little searching... this was the only bit of decent info I could find...

http://www.payscale.com/mypayscale.aspx?pid=450fd2d7-4c2a-485a-81ed-7f88478dcd7d

Hopefully that link will work - It is to payscale - for which I made a search for pharmacy intern with 0 years of experience (none of us have been real Pharmacy interns yet) The average pay was 14.xx / hour - making the intern deal with Walgreens pretty nice.

- I have read on other posts by students in the portland area of making near 23.xx / hour - if anyone knows more about those jobs - feel free to PM me (hahah)

~above~

Thanks Bio... I knew I had read the info somewhere... I just couldn't remember where...

It may be something that we will need to feel out when we get there...

~above~

Believe it or not, Wags $16.50/hr is about the lowest for a first year intern in the state of Oregon. Safeway pays $18+/hr and others can go into the low 20's. Kaiser pays it's interns $33/hr, but the positions are very competitive. I'm working for Wags now, but I'm probably going to move to safeway after I get my intern license in 8 weeks.

great info!

Wow! Kaiser pays $33 bucks to their interns??!! I work there currently as a pharmacy clerk (in CA) and was thinking of quitting before the summer. After seeing this, maybe I should just stick with Kaiser and transfer positions in Oregon and hope they give preference to their current employees for future internships...

How hard is it to work during the school year (say 8-16 hours a week)?

Thanks!

Ladies & Gents - there has officially been NO movement to the waitlist. I am going to send an email to Kent today inquiring about it... Its very odd to send an update letter to everyone on a waitlist w/o actually updating anything...

I'll post what I find out. :confused:

~above~

Seth,

Did you get a response yet?

Hi all! I just wanted to introduce myself. I will be starting the Pacific University Pharm D program in Fall 2007. I have been working in R&D in the pharmaceutical industry for the past several years, and it has been great, but I am now ready to pursue some different career interests. My wife and I recently moved to Oregon from California, and we really love it. I'm looking forward to corresponding with many of you.

Hello, welcome to Oregon and the Pacific U. thread! There hasn't been much talk lately, but I imagine once the waitlist starts moving, so will this thread.

I dont think the waiting list moved. I recieved a letter a little over a week ago and my rank is still the same.

Hey MAX - Welcome to the thread!!! Congrats on your acceptance - feel free to post about anything - People in this thread are very cool and down to earth...

On a previous note:

I received a response from Kent:

Hello Seth,

Thank you for your kind message and greeting. At this juncture, there
has been no movement on the waitlist. We have been very pleasantly
surprised by the enthusiastic reception we have received from students.

He went on to say that being #1 was a great place to be, and that there was still cause to be optimistic.

You can infer from this that Pacific has received 100 % committment from the accepted class. I am not sure if that includes people that have paid their deposit but have chosen not to go. Only time will tell I suppose.

If anyone else hears something new - please do not hesitate to post.

~above~

Geez... still no movement on the waitlist? I would seem unlikely that everyone who was offered acceptance would be going to Pacific. I bet it is just taking people a while to make a final decision about what school to attend. I think that last year some people where pulled off the waitlist in June, so there definitely still is TONS of hope. But I can imagine the wait is excruciating.

Seth and Ammarha and others,

It doesn't make sense really but know that ~above~ will get in soon!

FYI, I told Jon-Erik on 2/28 that I was withdrawing my spot. I was accepted in late December and paid the Pacific $1000 deposit in early January but after I was accepted to USN a month or so later I decided to eat it and go to USN instead.

Seth and Ammarha and others,

It doesn't make sense really but know that ~above~ will get in soon!

FYI, I told Jon-Erik on 2/28 that I was withdrawing my spot. I was accepted in late December and paid the Pacific $1000 deposit in early January but after I was accepted to USN a month or so later I decided to eat it and go to USN instead.

gssincom: Did you get a confirmation of your withdrawel? I know a few of us had sent in our updated transcripts recently and thought PU received it. Turns out they never did and now I have to resend.

They got really busy between Feb-March with interviews so maybe things are a bit unorganized. I also find it hard to believe no movement from the wait list occurred. Only makes sense if people who deferred last year got those first spots, hence this years wait list still has to wait. :confused:

I am definitely feeling the love guys (and gals) :oops:

I think it is pretty odd - considering even the great schools have people pulled off of the waitlist (alt list). I am really just focusing on making the grade in Org II this semester. If I can do that (trust me, im struggling), then hopefully I will have earned the right to be able to call you guys peers. If not - then I will wait one more year...

Pacific is where I want to be - and I'll get there... ...eventually

Far better men than I have had to wait longer... so I can be patient

~above~

gssincom: Did you get a confirmation of your withdrawel? I know a few of us had sent in our updated transcripts recently and thought PU received it. Turns out they never did and now I have to resend.

They got really busy between Feb-March with interviews so maybe things are a bit unorganized. I also find it hard to believe no movement from the wait list occurred. Only makes sense if people who deferred last year got those first spots, hence this years wait list still has to wait. :confused:

I did get a confirmation of my withdrawl. It all occured the same day (2/28/07).

I am definitely feeling the love guys (and gals) :oops:

I think it is pretty odd - considering even the great schools have people pulled off of the waitlist (alt list). I am really just focusing on making the grade in Org II this semester. If I can do that (trust me, im struggling), then hopefully I will have earned the right to be able to call you guys peers. If not - then I will wait one more year...

Pacific is where I want to be - and I'll get there... ...eventually

Far better men than I have had to wait longer... so I can be patient

~above~

Hello Above,
I do understand how you feel being on the look out for the mail man everyday, hoping and wishing that you get the long awaited call and making your e-mail your second job all because you need to know your stand.

Please be not dismayed. I have been in situation similar to this in the past and what kept me going was my faith in God and prayers. Just stay positive and hope for the best for I real of a truth that miracle do happen.

God's grace as we all pray for you believing God for the best.

Off subject a little bit...I currently work retail at a new Wal-Mart which opened less than a year ago. I have worked since the opening of the store, and it has been a wonderful experience.

Today I am counting pills, directing patients to where topical cremes are located, sending milk through the drive thru, and enjoying all the aspects of retail pharmacy when I was approaced by a manager of the store....She was preparing for the annual Wal-Mart Easter celebration, and was given my name by severl associates as a great candidate to be the easter bunny. I guess it is my personality...needless to say she has a full bunny body suit, face paint and the whole nine yards. She wanted me to sit in easter village for and feed children candy for 6 hours. The other two hours I was going to have a chance to tech dressed as a bunny. I was honored to be asked, but politely turned down the opportunity. Just another example of where pharmacy can take one!!

Continue to hear nothing but great things about the Portland area!!

Happy Easter

Hey guys,

So, if you all haven't received a letter for the President of Pacific stating that decided to INCREASE our tuition; you will be. Anyway, they didn't include how much of an increase it actually will be. It just said to look for details on our discipline web page. Needless to say, nothing new is posted... just the same tuition rate as before. I guess we will have to call to find out how much....baaaaaaa.