Pacific University, Forest Grove OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pillcrusher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread for all those apply to pacific. Who got there app sent in befor the priority deadline?, who got interviews?, who got accepted?, why are you apply to Pacific, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck Pillcrusher... Are you applying for this App cycle???

~above~

hey aboveliquidice, is Pacific rolling admission? I know they started apps a bit late, so i'm not sure if it's still early or not.. probably average...

Members don't see this ad :)
^ According to their website, Pacific University is on rolling admissions. People meeting the priority deadline (postmarked by today, 9/28) may be offered invites to the first two interview dates (11/8 and 1/17). I'm assuming all interviews afterward will include both priority and normal applicants.

I mailed my app back in late August and got a confirmation email September 10th. Last year invites were getting sent out early October, so I'm definitely starting to get anxious. :scared:

I turned in my application today, just in time. I hope they consider it as "meeting" the priority deadline.

I hope to get an interview to this school. Lonnie Anderson is so sweet and is always willing to answer your questions. I hope this is a reflection to how helpful the rest of their staff is as well!

Good luck Pillcrusher... Are you applying for this App cycle???

~above~

yes I completed my application on sept. 12, Im real excited about Pacific university and hope things work out for me and everyone else applying there. aboveliquidice what are your thought on the pharmacy school there? any advice you can give to everyone applyin there?

Good luck to everyone!

I received an email confirmation of them receiving my app on 9/26 (fingers crossed for all)

Adios

I turned in my application today, just in time. I hope they consider it as "meeting" the priority deadline.

I hope to get an interview to this school. Lonnie Anderson is so sweet and is always willing to answer your questions. I hope this is a reflection to how helpful the rest of their staff is as well!

Im pretty sure you will be considered meeting the regular deadline, not the priority deadline! I submitted mine online on 9/24, and sent my supp the next day thinking i met the priority deadline. Guess what? Today I called in and talked to someone in the Amissions office and she said I will be considered for the last two interview days, since the online system takes 4-6 weeks to process my application. So if I submitted early August or so I would have met the priority deadline, but since I submitted late September, my app. would not be processed until the next 4 weeks or so...
I was shocked, since I didnt know it took that long for my online appl. to be processed. Maybe I missed that point in the instruction or something...Oh well what else can I do but waiting a little longer... :eek:

Im pretty sure you will be considered meeting the regular deadline, not the priority deadline! I submitted mine online on 9/24, and sent my supp the next day thinking i met the priority deadline. Guess what? Today I called in and talked to someone in the Amissions office and she said I will be considered for the last two interview days, since the online system takes 4-6 weeks to process my application. So if I submitted early August or so I would have met the priority deadline, but since I submitted late September, my app. would not be processed until the next 4 weeks or so...
I was shocked, since I didnt know it took that long for my online appl. to be processed. Maybe I missed that point in the instruction or something...Oh well what else can I do but waiting a little longer... :eek:

Wow, I had no idea it was like that either! I received an email today stating I would be considered for the regular deadline as well because I was missing a transcript that I did not send in until today. I was pretty mad because I ordered this transcript a month ago and the school kept "forgetting" to mail it everytime I called even though they didn't "forget" to charge my credit card.

Good luck to everyone applying to Pacific! :) It seems they don't get as many applications as other schools because they are not on PharmCAS

I received an email dated the 26th of September confirming my completed application. However, it said nothing regarding priority or regular deadline. I am waiting for a call back however because I phoned them just to ensure they have everything.

Good luck to everyone!!

I also recieved a confirmation of my supp. being complete on sept 21st. does anyone have any idea when they start sending out invites?

I e-mailed Lonnie today about the priority deadline. I submitted and mailed everything on Sept. 27th. This was her response.

Yes, your application will be considered as meeting the priority deadline date. All materials needed to be submitted and postmarked by September 29.

At this point, once all of your materials are matched (which may take a few days due to the large number of applications received), it will be given to the Admissions Committee for review. The earliest you may hear back from us would be late October but it could take up until mid-January for you to find out your final status (invite to interview or denial).

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best,

Lonnie

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed Lonnie today about the priority deadline. I submitted and mailed everything on Sept. 27th. This was her response.

Yes, your application will be considered as meeting the priority deadline date. All materials needed to be submitted and postmarked by September 29.

At this point, once all of your materials are matched (which may take a few days due to the large number of applications received), it will be given to the Admissions Committee for review. The earliest you may hear back from us would be late October but it could take up until mid-January for you to find out your final status (invite to interview or denial).

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best,

Lonnie

I believe I didnt talk to Lonnie, but thats good if it is true. The one i talked to was trying to convince me that my online app. would not reach them before 9/29! And i havent received my confirmation email yet. I emailed them asking if they have received my supp. yet (mailed out on 9/25), Lonnie said please expect up to 2 weeks (compared to "a few days" as in the message above) to receive the email since they were working on a stack of a hundred supp. apps coming in. Well im not stalking them anymore haha... But yea thanks for your info. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

so i been trying to work on the application, and it says calculate your GPA and when i click on it it opens a page that says A, A- B .... and x 4.0...
how do you do this? like how do i list the class??
Please help. those who have submitted.
Thanks

so i been trying to work on the application, and it says calculate your GPA and when i click on it it opens a page that says A, A- B .... and x 4.0...
how do you do this? like how do i list the class??
Please help. those who have submitted.
Thanks

On that worksheet, you dont have to list classes. Just count how many semester hours you got As and put that number under the As column, and the same for other grades (A-, B+...). The calculations will be automatically done by the system.

Were you one of the student ambassadors at the open house by any chance?

Sorry for the late reply... Yes - I was one of the ambassadors at the open house.

If you guys have any specific questions about pacific - please do not hesitate to ask.

~above~

@above: Last year you said some unlucky students had to travel far to do distant experiential rotations. Has the situation improved any since then? Is there anything you wish you had known about Pacific U before applying there? Thanks. :)

Just wanted to shout out to say that I also applied to Pacific University...I applied on September 2nd and got a confirmation on September 10th saying that the adcom has received my main app and supplemental...doesnt say if I am considered for priority or not though :oops:

I also went to the PacificU open house a few weeks back and actually ran into aboveliquidice in the restroom when I was washing my hands to eat :laugh: He's a super nice guy and is always willing to answer your questions.

Anyways, good luck to you all! I will be sure to let you guys know if I hear anything from PacificU :crosses fingers:

Last edited:
I'm definitely starting to get anxious. :scared:

Well that makes two of us buddy! Hopefully I will see you at the first interview session :)

Well that makes two of us buddy! Hopefully I will see you at the first interview session :)

Hqd003, it says you are from Forest Grove, Oregon, do you live close to Pacific U? How do you like the area?

Just wanted to shout out to say that I also applied to Pacific University...I applied on September 2nd and got a confirmation on September 10th saying that the adcom has received my main app and supplemental...doesnt say if I am considered for priority or not though :oops:

I also went to the PacificU open house a few weeks back and actually ran into aboveliquidice in the restroom when I was washing my hands to eat :laugh: He's a super nice guy and is always willing to answer your questions.

Anyways, good luck to you all! I will be sure to let you guys know if I hear anything from PacificU :crosses fingers:

HAHAHAH - That totally gives the wrong impression... :D

@ mochiko - There isn't any good resolution to that. ACPE is requiring pharmacy schools to involve their students in pharmacy practice settings starting from the first year. This means that at any given time - Pacific has 96 technicians (1st years in Oregon are considered Techs), and 192 interns. There simply isnt enough pharmacies in the greater hillsboro area to take them all in. As a result - some have to travel to Portland, Salem, Tigard, Vancouver, and elsewhere. It is simply the nature of the beast.

I would measure my 1st year rotation as "rough" - but then, my rotation was with Walmart - pretty rough around the edges...

My summer rotation was with Walgreen's - which was great - and this year it is with Kaiser - also great. I now have some idea of what I like and what I dont like. You wouldn't have heard me say it in November of last year - but I am thankful for the lessons I learned at Wally world during my first year.

Personally (and I think most people know this) - I love Pac U's Program. Is it perfect - no. Is it a great way to go through pharmacy school? Hell yeah - I haven't regretted my choice to skip on FL schools for the one out in Oregon - not once.

~above~

HAHAHAH - That totally gives the wrong impression... :D

hahaha, hey man, im just saying it how it is :laugh:

Hqd003, it says you are from Forest Grove, Oregon, do you live close to Pacific U? How do you like the area?

I actually just recently moved here cause my girlfriend is actually attending optometry school at PacificU. The campus itself is split into 2 areas, the main undergrad campus is over in Forest Grove whereas the health professions campus (Pharmacy, PA, Dental hygiene, etc...) is in Hillsboro. I actually live in Forest Grove cause the Optometry program is over at the main campus and work in Hillsboro so I get to see both areas on a daily basis. I have no idea where you are from, but I'm from California and there isn't as much stuff to do over here, but I can definitely say that it is a great study environment. Of course if you are looking for things to do, there is always Portland, which is about a 30 minute drive from Hillsboro. I haven't really had the opportunity to go explore around too much cause I work and go to school full-time but all in all, it isn't a bad place to live. The rent is decent and there is no sales tax on anything!

hahaha, hey man, im just saying it how it is :laugh:

I actually just recently moved here cause my girlfriend is actually attending optometry school at PacificU. The campus itself is split into 2 areas, the main undergrad campus is over in Forest Grove whereas the health professions campus (Pharmacy, PA, Dental hygiene, etc...) is in Hillsboro. I actually live in Forest Grove cause the Optometry program is over at the main campus and work in Hillsboro so I get to see both areas on a daily basis. I have no idea where you are from, but I'm from California and there isn't as much stuff to do over here, but I can definitely say that it is a great study environment. Of course if you are looking for things to do, there is always Portland, which is about a 30 minute drive from Hillsboro. I haven't really had the opportunity to go explore around too much cause I work and go to school full-time but all in all, it isn't a bad place to live. The rent is decent and there is no sales tax on anything!

I'm from southern California. I wouldn't mind a change of scenery though since I was born and raised in So Cal. How is the weather in Oregon? No sales tax sounds very tempting as well :) Let's hope everyone gets interviews this year! :)

I'm from southern California. I wouldn't mind a change of scenery though since I was born and raised in So Cal. How is the weather in Oregon? No sales tax sounds very tempting as well :) Let's hope everyone gets interviews this year! :)

haha...I am actually from SoCal too...Seal Beach to be exact. I have only been up here for about a month so I haven't had too much experience with the weather but its been sunny since I moved here with an occasional rainy day but from what I hear towards the wintertime it is going be cold and be overcast/rainy until February or March...but I don't believe it until I see it. It is definitely a nice change from the sunny and warm SoCal weather though. But one thing I do miss is In N Out :( Maybe you can bring me some when I see you at the the interview! :laugh:

No sales tax is awesome! I'm gonna go on a shopping spree come Black Friday.

for those already applied.
can someone please tell me how to fill out the GPA calculation part ?

if I took a course and repeat it, do I list both grades in there, or take the average ?

also, they have last 45 semester hours GPA ? wtf ? is that mean you start listing from the last date of your transcript and going backward until you get to 45 credits ?

Damn confusing...

haha...I am actually from SoCal too...Seal Beach to be exact. I have only been up here for about a month so I haven't had too much experience with the weather but its been sunny since I moved here with an occasional rainy day but from what I hear towards the wintertime it is going be cold and be overcast/rainy until February or March...but I don't believe it until I see it. It is definitely a nice change from the sunny and warm SoCal weather though. But one thing I do miss is In N Out :( Maybe you can bring me some when I see you at the the interview! :laugh:

No sales tax is awesome! I'm gonna go on a shopping spree come Black Friday.

Haha, let's hope I get an interview first! I don't know if I could live without In N Out though! I'm from the Pasadena area, but a little farther east! Glad to hear the weather is warm though :)

@InternDoc: From Pac U's Application Instructions:
"For all repeated course(s), you must include both the original grade(s) and the final grade(s), even if your institution does not include these grades in their GPA calculation."

"Last 45 Semester Hours (68 Quarter Hours): The most recently completed 45 semester hours. If 45 semester hours fall in the middle of the semester/quarter, you may choose which courses to use, but you must stay within a total of 42-48 semester hours."

I know I'm in the minority, but I welcome the rainy weather! I've never been a fan of the year-round oven climate down in southern California. :thumbdown:

@InternDoc: From Pac U's Application Instructions:
"For all repeated course(s), you must include both the original grade(s) and the final grade(s), even if your institution does not include these grades in their GPA calculation."

"Last 45 Semester Hours (68 Quarter Hours): The most recently completed 45 semester hours. If 45 semester hours fall in the middle of the semester/quarter, you may choose which courses to use, but you must stay within a total of 42-48 semester hours."

I know I'm in the minority, but I welcome the rainy weather! I've never been a fan of the year-round oven climate down in southern California. :thumbdown:

Did everybody get there stuff in??? Cant wait to see you all on the 8th...

~above~

~above~

sigh... i misread the directions saying to send the transcripts "directly" to the school and had the address to Pacific. I have to call the two schools monday to cancel those transcripts and send them to my house (hopefully that can be done), so I can package them together. I should have read the entire application before rushing to send transcipts out... damn holiday I rushed to get things out today because otherwise I would have to wait till Tuesday and my Tuesday-Thursday schedule is jam packed. Just started to fill out pacific application and thought it would be good to get the transcripts out early. I was finishing up on two other schools which I also sent out today, so kind of late to the game.

Last edited:

~above~
With the first interview less than a month away, do you know when invites will be sent out and if they are sending them through email or snail mail? :D

Haha, for some reason that was always me too; I always enjoyed the rainy days in SoCal. It hasn't rained much since I moved up here but I am looking forward to it!

With the first interview less than a month away, do you know when invites will be sent out and if they are sending them through email or snail mail? :D

Last year I remember it was sent through email...I did not get a hard copy in the mail or anything, so I am assuming it is the same this year. I really hope I hear from PacificU soon, the suspense is killing me! :scared:

Does anyone know if Pacific specifically weighs the last 40 semester hour GPA more heavily than your overall GPA? I know that was one of the GPAs they ask you to calculate & in my case, my last 40 semester hour GPA is higher than overall GPA :oops:

Does anyone know if Pacific specifically weighs the last 40 semester hour GPA more heavily than your overall GPA? I know that was one of the GPAs they ask you to calculate & in my case, my last 40 semester hour GPA is higher than overall GPA :oops:

Thats how mine is too, unfortunately. I think this can go either way though...since your overall gpa is lower and the last 45 is higher, this could possibly show that you have matured in your studies and have your priorities straight now.

~above~

Yep!

I need to quick checking my email every hour though its ridiculous :)

wats on the 8th? is that the first interview date? has anyone heard about interviews yet?

wats on the 8th? is that the first interview date? has anyone heard about interviews yet?

Yeah, first interview date is on November 8. Then the next one is in January and two in February I believe...pretty big gap between the first and second interview dates so here's to hoping that we can all get the first interview date so we can calm our nerves a bit!

I don't think anyone has heard anything about interviews yet...no news is good news at this point!

Hey everyone,

I applied to Pacific Univ. on 10/6 and my supplemental materials should have gotten there today. I would be so excited to get in, but it seems very competitive. I love Portland area, spent 4 months there onetime years ago, it is so pretty, roses everywhere. I hope those of you that go on 11/8 for an interview will let us know how it went. I wish I had started applying sooner.

Pacific is my A-number-one choice. This waiting is driving me mad!

I just love their block-style curriculum. Do any other schools do it this way?

Here's hoping they write soon.

It is your last 45 hours (not 40) - They are both very important. Cum GPA tells the ADCOM how well you have done over your entire collegate career. It is an important indicator of academic abilities. The last 45 GPA is used to obtain your most recent academic trend. Sometimes, a student may have a lower overall GPA - but have a stellar last 45 - which can be taken into account by the ADCOM.

I would say both are important - and you want them to be as high as possible.

Congrats to those that have turned everything turned in. The hardest part is over.

~above~

University of Southern Nevada also does block. I think I read somewhere before that Pacific U modeled their program after that of USN's. However, I can't remember from where, so I could be wrong.

Pacific is my A-number-one choice. This waiting is driving me mad!

Here's hoping they write soon.

Could someone please explain to me block-style curriculum?

Could someone please explain to me block-style curriculum?

Its basically like summer school. Rather than the traditional semester/quarter system where you are taking 3-4 classes at any given time and have finals all in one week towards the end of the quarter/semester, the block curriculum is when you take one class and have a "final" every other week. Rather than attending the 3-4 classes throughout the week, you just attend one class from 8 am-3 pm everyday and have a test every other friday (at pacific). If you pass then you get a 3 day weekend and begin class again the following tuesday and repeat the whole cycle over again...class from tuesday until next thursday and "final" on friday. Everyone says this makes for an intense schedule, but I find myself to do much better focusing on one class than several all at once.

So basically its just concentrating one one course rather than 3-4 at any one time, kind of like summer school.

Did that make sense? Haha.

Its basically like summer school. Rather than the traditional semester/quarter system where you are taking 3-4 classes at any given time and have finals all in one week towards the end of the quarter/semester, the block curriculum is when you take one class and have a "final" every other week. Rather than attending the 3-4 classes throughout the week, you just attend one class from 8 am-3 pm everyday and have a test every other friday (at pacific). If you pass then you get a 3 day weekend and begin class again the following tuesday and repeat the whole cycle over again...class from tuesday until next thursday and "final" on friday. Everyone says this makes for an intense schedule, but I find myself to do much better focusing on one class than several all at once.

So basically its just concentrating one one course rather than 3-4 at any one time, kind of like summer school.

Did that make sense? Haha.

Wow, that sounds awesome! Thanks for the detailed explanation! This makes the school sound even better.

Hi everyone, I'm on my way finishing the application!!!!!!! And I already feel the heat of competition!!!! To those that already in the program, please tell me that I am not that late!!!! cause I feel like I am +.+

Hi everyone, I'm on my way finishing the application!!!!!!! And I already feel the heat of competition!!!! To those that already in the program, please tell me that I am not that late!!!! cause I feel like I am +.+

I mailed all of my suppl. materials by Sep. 30th, but Lonnie said they didn't get one of my transcripts yet!!
I requested one again now, and then it will be arrived some time next week..:scared:
I'm afraid they select all the students from the first interview. :confused:

I mailed all of my suppl. materials by Sep. 30th, but Lonnie said they didn't get one of my transcripts yet!!
I requested one again now, and then it will be arrived some time next week..:scared:

Don't sweat it too much (I know..easy to say)

Applying early does provide its advantages but the bottom line is if you don't have the qualifications it doesn't matter when you apply. Don't feel rushed because of the priority deadline, it's not the final deadline. Some people will submit a not-so-great app just to meet the priority deadline. And those people will be bumped by those who have a solid application that were submitted even after the priority deadline.

Good luck to you!

END RAMBLING :)

Yeah don't even trip. A buddy of mine went to the 3rd interview session (out of 4) and got a call from Lonnie saying that he got in 3 days after his interview. I hate him to this day for taking my spot. :p