Program-Specific Info / Q's Pacific University OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely going to hit Multonomah falls! I would recommend these waterfalls to everyone who will be visiting
I LOVE that place! I am originally from Southern Oregon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am definitely practicing. I haven’t found any other blogs about what they ask for the interviews, but I’ve been trying to find some. Can anyone send me links that they have found to study from?

Common Graduate School Interview Questions: *Tell me about yourself. *What are your strengths and weaknesses? *If you're not accepted into graduate school, what are your plans? *Why did you choose this career? *What do you know about our program? *Why did you choose to apply to our program? *What other schools are you considering? *In what ways have your previous experience prepared you for graduate study in our program? *What do you believe your greatest challenge will be if you are accepted into this program? *In college, what courses did you enjoy the most? The least? Why? *Describe any research project you've worked on. What was the purpose of the project and what was your role in the project? *How would your professors describe you? *How will you be able to make a contribution to this field? *What are your hobbies? *Explain a situation in which you had a conflict and how you resolved it. What would you do differently? Why? *Describe your greatest accomplishment. *Tell me about your experience in this field. What was challenging? What was your contribution? *What are your career goals? How will this program help you achieve your goals? *How do you intend to finance your education? *What skills do you bring to the program? How will you help your mentor in his or her research? *Are you motivated? Explain and provide examples. *Why should we take you and not someone else? *What do you plan to specialize in? *What do you do in your spare time? By Tara Kuther, Ph.D., About.com Guide

This one is more OT specific:
7 Questions to Expect in an OT School Interview

I have also heard a big question right now is, "Why OTD and not MOT?"

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you SO much for these interview tips!!!!
Anyone have any info or helpful tips for the writing portion? I have no clue what to expect on this part of the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I found out that I have been invited to interview last Tuesday the 5th. The interview is March 2nd 10:00-2:30. I was told that they invited 60 students. I have been looking at other OT forums and a lot of people have already accepted at other universities that also applied for Pacific U and they are turning down interviews which could mean you are given their place. Keep in mind also that not everyone that interviews will accept and that also opens up other options. Never lose hope! I was literally crying last week because I had gotten 3 denials and waitlisted for another! I have applied for 8 universities and I may even not get offered a place here. We are all nervous! So keep up the hard work!

I have an interview as well on march 2nd see you there

I received an email today inviting me to do a Skype or Zoom interview. Was anyone else asked to do Skype instead of in person?

I received an email today inviting me to do a Skype or Zoom interview. Was anyone else asked to do Skype instead of in person?

Awesome! I had heard another person did some time back but I believe she lived pretty far away. East coast. Maybe because it is also a bit of short notice to travel.

Does anyone know how many people were/are in each interview round?

I believe it’s 60 per interview date so 120 people interviewed in total. I know there are different interview times, so I’m not sure how many people are in each round.

I believe it’s 60 per interview date so 120 people interviewed in total. I know there are different interview times, so I’m not sure how many people are in each round.
How did things go for people who interviewed today? Has anyone who interviewed the first date heard anything back yet?

How did things go for people who interviewed today? Has anyone who interviewed the first date heard anything back yet?

I actually got an acceptance email Friday afternoon from Jon-Erik. I was surprised because I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after the 2nd set of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

I felt very welcome and really enjoyed myself. I think I did good but who knows, right? It felt more like they wanted us to make sure PU is a good fit for us, less emphasis on whether they think we are a good fit (although that was a theme too...just not as heavily pushed). I really enjoyed myself, I enjoyed learning the history of the school and the department. The tour was short but nice. It is a very quaint campus, a small cohort, but nice! I hope I get in!

Has anyone else been accepted yet? I keep checking my emails!

Has anyone else been accepted yet? I keep checking my emails!
Jon Erik said we won’t here back until March 11/12 or til March 19/20
So first wave of acceptance will be this week!

Jon Erik said we won’t here back until March 11/12 or til March 19/20
So first wave of acceptance will be this week!

Um...I have been biting my nails and refreshing my email every few minutes....I actually had to disable notifications and put my phone in another room!!! I am so nervous! I felt my interview went great!

Additionally, I had sent Jon-Erik an email early last week and his response said he would not be back in the office until the 11th. I believe he may be part of the deliberations so maybe first wave tomorrow?

Um...I have been biting my nails and refreshing my email every few minutes....I actually had to disable notifications and put my phone in another room!!! I am so nervous! I felt my interview went great!

Additionally, I had sent Jon-Erik an email early last week and his response said he would not be back in the office until the 11th. I believe he may be part of the deliberations so maybe first wave tomorrow?

I’m in the same boat, and it’s rough. He also has not responded to an email I sent early last week. Just trying to remember that those making decisions are people with lives that probably have lots of things going on besides determining parts of our fate. (Easy enough to say...)

Just got an email that I was placed in tier 1 of the waitlist at Pacific. I had already been accepted to 5 other schools so I definitely did not give the interview my full effort. Hopefully everyone else will be hearing soon!

Congratulations OTcait!! Is it your top choice?

I got an email today of acceptance and I literally cried for an hour!

Has anyone else heard!?!?!

I got an email for Tier 1 waitlist- this is my top choice so I’m bummed, but I’m staying hopeful!

Received an acceptance email this afternoon, I screamed in public what a sight it was!! This is my top choice and I feel so relieved and lucky. Good luck to everyone! I will be redacting my enrollment in Creighton's OTD program so if any of you are on Creighton's waitlist there will be a spot opening. :)

I got an email for Tier 1 waitlist- this is my top choice so I’m bummed, but I’m staying hopeful!

Dont lose hope!!! Pacific U is a late in the game school. A lot of people have already signed on for other schools potentially from the first group of interviewers! Tier 1 is good!

Received an acceptance email this afternoon, I screamed in public what a sight it was!! This is my top choice and I feel so relieved and lucky. Good luck to everyone! I will be redacting my enrollment in Creighton's OTD program so if any of you are on Creighton's waitlist there will be a spot opening. :)

My top choice too!! I actually had to have someone else read the email after I stopped crying, to make sure it was real.

Congratulations OTcait!! Is it your top choice?

I got an email today of acceptance and I literally cried for an hour!

Has anyone else heard!?!?!
My top choice is University of Washington and I was accepted there.

I think so! I’m also considering Puget Sound and will be visiting both schools next week.

I have heard amazing things about Puget Sound. It is also BEAUTIFUL in Olympia! I almost applied there but ended up not in the end. Good luck with your choice!

I found out yesterday I was accepted as well! I'm so excited! I'll be looking for a roommate or two (preferably two because 3 bedrooms are more affordable). If anyone is potentially interested in being roommates let me know! But I'd also love to start getting to know my future classmates regardless.

I found out yesterday I was accepted as well! I'm so excited! I'll be looking for a roommate or two (preferably two because 3 bedrooms are more affordable). If anyone is potentially interested in being roommates let me know! But I'd also love to start getting to know my future classmates regardless.

Yay! Thats awesome! I am also potentially looking for a roommate, although the cost won't make much difference to me because I would have to rent two rooms. One for myself and one for my almost 11yr old! I am still pondering it though. I have found some decent two bedrooms around hillsboro and beaverton, but it gets more and more expensive. Keep an eye on the market! Do you know where you would want to live? Beaverton is about a 30-40min commute depending on traffic...or...you can ride the train and do homework!

Yay! Thats awesome! I am also potentially looking for a roommate, although the cost won't make much difference to me because I would have to rent two rooms. One for myself and one for my almost 11yr old! I am still pondering it though. I have found some decent two bedrooms around hillsboro and beaverton, but it gets more and more expensive. Keep an eye on the market! Do you know where you would want to live? Beaverton is about a 30-40min commute depending on traffic...or...you can ride the train and do homework!

I'm considering living in either Beaverton or Hillsboro. I'm pretty young (23) and I'll be on my own and paying my own bills for the first time, so I want to keep it as low stress as possible for me. And also to save on gas it'd be awesome to be within biking distance of the campus. The apartments there are pretty expensive though! Luckily it seems like they're all nice quality, so I'm sure you'll find a great place for the both of you. Also congrats on getting accepted!

Does anyone know the chances of being accepted as a waitlist in Tier 1? Or know of anyone who was accepted who was oringinally waitlisted? In the email it says “for the past 2 years, we have dipped into Tier 2”, so that gives me a lot of hope, but the waiting game is stressful since I live in California and can’t wait too long for loans, housing, roommates, etc

Does anyone know the chances of being accepted as a waitlist in Tier 1? Or know of anyone who was accepted who was oringinally waitlisted? In the email it says “for the past 2 years, we have dipped into Tier 2”, so that gives me a lot of hope, but the waiting game is stressful since I live in California and can’t wait too long for loans, housing, roommates, etc

From past years' threads it looks like there were some who were waitlisted Tier 1 who were later admitted. It seems like it took about a month from the date of the first email until they were finally admitted. So don't lose hope! The email I got said the deadline to submit a deposit is March 26th, so once that deadline has passed they might start contacting those from the waitlist if any spots have opened up. Hopefully you hear something soon. I wish you the best of luck!

From past years' threads it looks like there were some who were waitlisted Tier 1 who were later admitted. It seems like it took about a month from the date of the first email until they were finally admitted. So don't lose hope! The email I got said the deadline to submit a deposit is March 26th, so once that deadline has passed they might start contacting those from the waitlist if any spots have opened up. Hopefully you hear something soon. I wish you the best of luck!

Yes, I agree. I have read the past few years of blogs and have found the same thing. Last years interviewees were even saying most of the year one students that were helping out at the interview day were pulled off the waitlist!

I believe tier 1 is good! And even if they are getting through tier 1 to tier 2, that's even better!

Have any folks who’ve been accepted heard anything from financial aid or know when award/loan info is supposed to go out?

Have any folks who’ve been accepted heard anything from financial aid or know when award/loan info is supposed to go out?

Yes, they are going to work on OT financial aid awards the next couple of weeks (I know....I need to know too!!)

I'm considering living in either Beaverton or Hillsboro. I'm pretty young (23) and I'll be on my own and paying my own bills for the first time, so I want to keep it as low stress as possible for me. And also to save on gas it'd be awesome to be within biking distance of the campus. The apartments there are pretty expensive though! Luckily it seems like they're all nice quality, so I'm sure you'll find a great place for the both of you. Also congrats on getting accepted!

Thank you, you too! I'll be 38 this year so I know the routine! Ha... I am also looking in the Beaverton and Hillsboro areas and in between. I think if I end up past beaverton, I may take the train so I can spend that time studying instead of driving!

Hello everyone, for those accepted, I am just wondering if they have received their official letter in the mail yet? Additionally, does anyone know when the facebook page should start?

Hello everyone, for those accepted, I am just wondering if they have received their official letter in the mail yet? Additionally, does anyone know when the facebook page should start?
I have not received a physical letter yet. Based off of last year's thread it seems like the FB group wasn't created until May?

I have not received a physical letter yet. Based off of last year's thread it seems like the FB group wasn't created until May?

I haven't read recieved an official letter yet either, but I just got an email from Jon-Erik with a timeline saying that the FB group will be created in May and our 2nd years OT student mentors will get into contact with us around that time too!

I haven't read recieved an official letter yet either, but I just got an email from Jon-Erik with a timeline saying that the FB group will be created in May and our 2nd years OT student mentors will get into contact with us around that time too!
Thanks for the update! Did he say anything about when financial aid/loan info might be available?

Last edited:
I emailed them directly and she said she will be getting them out and awarded in the next couple weeks. Hopefully it won't turn into another two weeks..haha.

I also got an email from Jon-Erik. Didn't anyone get a scholarship?

I also got an email from Jon-Erik. Didn't anyone get a scholarship?
I met with a financial aid advisor at another private school. My understanding is that there are very few scholarships and grants for grad programs. Most students use a combination of federal loans, private loans, and savings to pay for grad school. Grants and scholarships will take a lot of work on your end; they most likely won't be included in an aid package.

I met with a financial aid advisor at another private school. My understanding is that there are very few scholarships and grants for grad programs. Most students use a combination of federal loans, private loans, and savings to pay for grad school. Grants and scholarships will take a lot of work on your end; they most likely won't be included in an aid package.

Oh, I was asking because I was awarded one.

Oh, I was asking because I was awarded one.
Congratulations! I was awarded one as well. :) Were you at the first interview day? I feel like I met a woman with awesome glasses who had an 11 yo.
It sounds like you may be interested in a part time roommate? I live in Portland, but my commute is an hour and a half by train/bike combo. Ideally, I would like to crash on a couch out there one or two nights a week (it sounded like Mondays and Wednesdays are LONG days on campus.) Feel free to message me if you're interested in exploring that option.

Congratulations! I was awarded one as well. :) Were you at the first interview day? I feel like I met a woman with awesome glasses who had an 11 yo.
It sounds like you may be interested in a part time roommate? I live in Portland, but my commute is an hour and a half by train/bike combo. Ideally, I would like to crash on a couch out there one or two nights a week (it sounded like Mondays and Wednesdays are LONG days on campus.) Feel free to message me if you're interested in exploring that option.

Hello Angie, I was in the second interview cohort on March 2nd! But that's funny, I have an 11yr old and yes, I have glasses. I have not found a place yet, still looking. I think I will have better luck as it gets closer. Lots of great stuff available but not planning to move until end of July, beg. of Aug. When we get a place, I'd totally be down for a part time roomie

Oh and congrats!!! That's awesome you got one too!