Packing list for BOLC/DCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fried Plantaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about the packing list, as this summer I'll be attending DCC/BOLC in Fort Still/SA

1. Is it advised to get 2 pairs of combat boots? (It says to do so but someone said you can get away with just one)
2. Is it better to get an ASU from Marlowe & White or try and assemble one at the exchange? The employee lady at the exchange said one component from it was currently being phased out and I would have to match it as closely as possible. But on the other hand I believe M&W will end up costing more $$
3. We are supposed to get 2 Unit patches but I haven't received my unit info yet. Should I wait until I get there for this part?

Also I wear contacts, but they show as contraband for field exercises. Does this mean I must wear glasses for that portion? I have read from others who wore contacts and gotten away so wondering how strict that requirement is

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't wear contacts as they might gas you. I tried to put my contacts in a tylenol bottle and ruined them.

1) I got away with 1, but it's a risk you have to weigh. If you aren't comfortable with the idea of having to wear wet boots, just buy another pair.

2) I have always bought my stuff in person so I can try it on and know it fits appropriately.

3) Don't worry about patches. I believe I signed for one at DCC and at BOLC I wore an AMEDD patch I previously had. They'll tell you what to get when you show up.

Bring glasses. Yes you can get away with wearing contacts, but keeping them clean in a field environment is difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wear your boots for a while before you go. Nothing like friction blisters to ruin your day.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few questions about the packing list, as this summer I'll be attending DCC/BOLC in Fort Still/SA

1. Is it advised to get 2 pairs of combat boots? (It says to do so but someone said you can get away with just one)
2. Is it better to get an ASU from Marlowe & White or try and assemble one at the exchange? The employee lady at the exchange said one component from it was currently being phased out and I would have to match it as closely as possible. But on the other hand I believe M&W will end up costing more $$
3. We are supposed to get 2 Unit patches but I haven't received my unit info yet. Should I wait until I get there for this part?

Also I wear contacts, but they show as contraband for field exercises. Does this mean I must wear glasses for that portion? I have read from others who wore contacts and gotten away so wondering how strict that requirement is

Thanks

1) I brought one and it went just fine. I’ve had some people say they did layouts (the bane of everything Army) at the beginning...sounds like it’s a roll of the dice

2) getting an ASU was the talk of the town when I went through BOLC. Everyone was stressing out about it and trying to get theirs from the exchange. I got one from the exchange when I got there and then it sat in my suitcase the entire time. I honestly wished I had gotten one from M&W cuz I had a buddy that did and damn, that thing was nice. This was 10 years ago so maybe there’s an absolute requirement for BOLC now but we did graduation in our ACUs.

3) wait till you get there

4)don’t be the guy/girl who tries to sneak by wearing contacts in the field then has something happen and gets those over-the-top cadre all fired up. a dingbat in our platoon learned the hard way. Just wear glasses, in the grand scheme of things it’s only for a short period of time.

From a prior service stand point sometimes the packing list is required to be as is to make sure the weight is correct so I would personally bring both. You can find good basic issue boots for like 40$ at most surplus stores. As for contacts, DO NOT WEAR THEM. Most times they are worried about getting something in your eye and it causing abrasions. Hope this was helpful and you have some fun this summer!!!

Thanks

1. Get 2 pairs of boots (one heavier pair for rucking and one lighter pair for just being in clinic and walking around) and then break them in now.

2. I would suggest getting ASU from Marlow White. Yes it's a little more expensive, but the quality is much better. The blue and black ASU is being phased out eventually in 2028, but can still be worn. The army green service uniform still isn't widely available. When I went to BOLC last summer I did not need my ASU as we did not have a graduation and at DCC in fall of 2019 we graduated wearing our combat uniforms. If you are active duty you will need the current ASU (blue and black) and the green ASU when it becomes available unfortunately. Get it from Marlow White as they sell a commissioning kit that gives you everything you need and then when you get to BOLC you can go to clothing and sales to the tailors and they can alter it if need be. I wouldn't count on being able to get the blue/black ASU items at Fort Sill (it is a TRADOC base, but you'll be confined to the school house side and won't have much access to clothing and sales and most of the stuff is picked over and they do not have much medical stuff for ASU's). Fort Sam is the same way. They have so many school houses going on that clothing and sales is always picked over for dress uniform items. Just get Marlow white and then you can pick up any extra items you may need.

3. Don't worry about unit patches. You will be issued a unit patch identifying you as a school house student at DCC (It will be the ADA battery patch) and you will wear this patch the entire school and maybe the last couple days you will wear your unit patch. You belong to the schoolhouse unit until you graduate. When you get to BOLC it's the same. You wear a BOLC patch identifying you to everyone that you are in BOLC. Once you know your actual unit you can pick their patch up at clothing and sales easily.

As for contacts you will not be able to wear them in the field. You will be taken to optometry during DCC and eyes tested and issued army glasses, combat inserts, and gas mask inserts. You will wear your Army glasses during DCC. They were big on this when I went through it.