1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

pain managment?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by DOapplicant, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DOapplicant

DOapplicant Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i apologize for my ignorance on this matter. i know what general anesth does.
    but what does pain management exactly do.

if someone could tell or direct me to a good website that explains what a day in the life of pain does i would be very thankful.

also is it one of the more competitive fellowships?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Laryngospasm

Laryngospasm Trench Dog
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    By far the most competitive fellowship, spend about half the week seeing new and chronic pain pts, the other half doing procedures more or less, such as LESI, nerve blocks, Spinal cord stimulators etc, minimal if any call. Good life for many people, if you can deal with the patient population.

4. DOapplicant

DOapplicant Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks so much for the reply laryngospasm.

is this a field where you have to deal w/a lot of malingering? i understand there is bad that comes with the good in every field. but does this end up taking up a large portion of your time.

5. dpat81

dpat81 yup

Medical Student
    exactly how competitive is the pain fellowship?? is it on par to getting a GI fellowship from IM?? thanks

6. Laryngospasm

Laryngospasm Trench Dog
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First, just so there is no confusion, I havent done a pain fellowship, I only speak from my months of experience while on pain. Yes there is malingering, and pretty much any other type of psych problem you can imagine. Pain is a very subjective thing, and some people are incapacitated with pain that others would still go to work with. Its a difficult subject, however there is probably much room for growth and development of the field.

No, it is not as competitive as GI, at least from my understanding of GI fellowships. You may have trpuble getting one of the best interventional fellowships, but you should be able to get one somewhere.