schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not kidding, this appears to be a new medical school opening up in Florida. It is listed in the LCME as a developing medical school so I googled it and found their website.

Here in the LCME as an "applicant school":
http://www.lcme.org/newschoolprocess.htm

Their website:
http://www.palmbeachmedicalcollege.com/

Florida appears to be especially fecund in popping out med schools as of late...
Who wants to bet that if this school gets off the ground it's going to get tons of apps just because of the name? :laugh:

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm not kidding, this appears to be a new medical school opening up in Florida. It is listed in the LCME as a developing medical school so I googled it and found their website.

Their website:

Florida appears to be especially fecund in popping out med schools as of late...
Who wants to bet that if this school gets off the ground it's going to get tons of apps just because of the name? :laugh:
I know Florida Atlantic University(FAU), which is in Palm Beach County is about to open a medical school in 2011; however, I dont if they gonna call it "Palm Beach Medical College" to make it attractive to applicants.

bold text

reality is irrelevant.
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Palm Beach Medical College certainly has a nice ring to it..

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
I know Florida Atlantic University(FAU), which is in Palm Beach County is about to open a medical school in 2011; however, I dont if they gonna call it "Palm Beach Medical College" to make it attractive to applicants.
It doesn't mention FAU on its website at all though, so I don't know if FAU's medical school and this one are the same thing.

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
According to their website their objective is to create a "private proprietary" medical school in the US. Basically a Caribbean-style school. It also sounds like it is going to be a lot more guided toward a "for profit" model.

I'm not entirely sure this is the way to tackle the physician shortage that they claim they are trying to address...

Weird and a bit unsettling!

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
According to their website their objective is to create a "private proprietary" medical school in the US. Basically a Caribbean-style school. It also sounds like it is going to be a lot more guided toward a "for profit" model.

I'm not entirely sure this is the way to tackle the physician shortage that they claim they are trying to address...

Weird and a bit unsettling!
Um, I doubt it. A Caribbean-style school would be a school that weeds during the medical school years with low entrance standards. Seeing as this school will be in Florida and is seeking LCME accreditation, the LCME would never allow a Caribbean-style school to be accredited in the US.

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
Um, I doubt it. A Caribbean-style school would be a school that weeds during the medical school years with low entrance standards. Seeing as this school will be in Florida and is seeking LCME accreditation, the LCME would never allow a Caribbean-style school to be accredited in the US.
You'd think, right? But they even mention this same thing in the website. They say something like: "even though it was thought unlikely LCME would grant accreditation to such a school, times have changed." Then in another section they state that their objective is to create a school which they describe with the same adjectives and qualifiers they used when talking about Caribbean schools... Well, they never state this outright, they just seem to imply it. Kinda weird.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
You'd think, right? But they even mention this same thing in the website. They say something like: "even though it was thought unlikely LCME would grant accreditation to such a school, times have changed." Then in another section they state that their objective is to create a school which they describe with the same adjectives and qualifiers they used when talking about Caribbean schools... Well, they never state this outright, they just seem to imply it. Kinda weird.
I did a little looking at the website and it says:
At present, there are 131 (six were created in the last 24 months) accredited Allopathic Medical Schools and 26 Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine in the USA. With one exception, they are all either private or public and not for profit.

Proprietary schools, have been good business propositions in the Caribbean, (there are 60 of these schools spread over many islands), have not been established in continental USA because for many years it was assumed that accreditation requirements will not approve such a school. This situation is changing and in fact, one proprietary osteopathic medical school has just been established and accredited, and there are other plans for investor developed medical schools.
So that means that this will be a for-profit medical school. There is already a for-profit osteopathic med school (Rocky Vista). So it wouldn't really be Caribbean-style in the sense of low admission standards, weeding and clinicals linked with hospitals all over the place but it would follow a proprietary model. Hmm.

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
I did a little looking at the website and it says:

So that means that this will be a for-profit medical school. There is already a for-profit osteopathic med school (Rocky Vista). So it wouldn't really be Caribbean-style in the sense of low admission standards, weeding and clinicals linked with hospitals all over the place but it would follow a proprietary model. Hmm.
Well, under the "Our Plan" tab they say:

Our goal is to develop the first Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredited private and proprietary academic Medical College and Academic Health Center in the United States, located in Palm Beach County, Florida.
They are not saying explicitly that they are opening a Caribbean-inspired medical school, but they are making implicit links that suggest that is indeed their goal...

Also, under their "consortium" model, the clinicals would be all over the place in Palm Beach county... There is no evidence that they will have low standards for acceptance, but they are not making any efforts in differentiating themselves from Caribbean schools. If anything, they are trying to associate the their plans to the idea of Caribbean schools.

Last edited:

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I heard about this one ... Rumor has it they are trying to skirt the LCME's not for-profit requirements.

Good luck ...

Oh and just btw ... I commented about this school a while back, and how they were essentially tip-toeing around a for-profit MD model in the US, and people were acting like I was insane.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, under the "Our Plan" tab they say:

They are not saying explicitly that they are opening a Caribbean-inspired medical school, but they are making implicit links that suggest that is indeed their goal...

Also, under their "consortium" model, the clinicals would be all over the place in Palm Beach county... There is no evidence that they will have low standards for acceptance, but they are not making any efforts in differentiating themselves from Caribbean schools. If anything, they are trying to associate the their plans to the idea of Caribbean schools.
Yeah, I'd agree that they should distance themselves from mentioning the word "Caribbean" because there's some cred lost there by association. They are actually pretty honest for an administration about their intents.

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, surprisingly frank... my guess is that at this stage they are throwing out code words to attract investors, rather than woo students.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, surprisingly frank... my guess is that at this stage they are throwing out code words to attract investors, rather than woo students.
Well, they can't recruit students at the moment as a school with applicant status. I think LCME is strict about this, too.

Haha, clearly aesthetics will not be part of the admission criteria!
lawl well look at the LCME website, it doesn't even try to cater to aesthetics.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
www.ryanaycock.com
Status
Attending Physician
Just a clarification: FAU is in Boca Raton and is no way affiliated with Palm Beach Medical College. I have never heard of this program and seriously doubt it will ever reach accreditation.

gravitywave

fourth year
Dec 19, 2009
s/p ERAS
Status
Medical Student
they had wanted to start up a for-profit US medical school, and LCME isn't going to allow that. their business model is toast, and so are they.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]

Their website:

I think Palm Beach medical college has potential. My ex roommate's sister graduated from pharm school from there when it was just a new pharm school starting. She was in one of their starting classes if not their charter class for pharm school from there. It was a pretty decent school.

However, that being said, they are still in a phase behind FAU's med school so it will be at least another year if not longer before they get to the final phase for partial accreditation and accepting applications. FAU med is the next one to start since its process was sped up by the fact that it was already a med school under Umiami before breaking off and already had a lot of things in order.

FAU med apps will come out in feb according to a student who knows people there because he's in one of their last classes under the UMiami name.

There are actually a lot of med schools popping up.

When FSU started in 2000 it had been 25 years since a new med school showed up on the scene because AMA and other organizations blocking the advent of new schools. THen after that it has gone to a lot of new schools everywhere. UC Riverside, UCF, FIU, Oakland U in mich, CMU in mich, Hofstra in NY, FAU med, and now palm beach college. There's others on that last on the link you gave as well.

I don't think its going to make med admissions easier though. All it is going to do is put a few less people in the islands. The advent of new med schools is to reduce the amount of foreign grads filling residency spots. its not going to make things easier for US people so much as it is going to make getting residency for foreigners more difficult.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
So did you even click on the link that they cited?????????? if you did you'd see that FAU med and Palm Beach medical college are two different universities altogether.

FAU med is FAU med. it is its own university separate of all things to do with palm beach college.

FAU is a public school for one, and it is a school previously affiliated with UMiami's med school until recently. If you clickedo n the LCME link you would see it is in phase 2, and by february they predict it will be in phase 3 and starting med applications for this cycle and just for this year through non amcas means. Next year and beyond through amcas.

Palm beach college is one of several universities putting a bid in to get a med school that is still in phase 1 with no guarantee of passing onto phase 2.

Before i read the rest of the posts on here I was under the assumption it would be like the other med schools here, but now i wonder. I know though that they have a pretty decent pharm school there.

Not sure what their med school model would be like.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
It doesn't mention FAU on its website at all though, so I don't know if FAU's medical school and this one are the same thing.
Again as I stated in mjy series of posts above, it is not. The LCME website clearly lists FAU's med school in phase 2 and right now the only one in phase 2 though it will be in phase 3 soon enough this spring if all goes well.

Also to the person that asked when this school was opening. Schools in phase 1 of the process for starting a med school are not necessarily guaranteed moving on to the second phase and 3rd phase.

Judging from the site FAU med will be the next one since its in phase 2 and likely to pass phase 3.

then its a matter of time in seeing if all or only some of the ones in phase 1 will move fwd.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
I'm pretty sure this school is affiliated with FAU:

" Local healthcare organizations are eager to participate in clinical training with PBMC because affiliation with a public university presents several advantages,"

http://www.palmbeachmedicalcollege.com/model.htm
Please read the LCME site and you'd see FAU med is FAU med and palm beach college is palm beach college.

Nomdeplume

(nom nom nom)
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone else find it odd that the site's writing and grammar is really below standard? It seems like this site was launched in a big hurry, or on a low budget, or both.

Charles_Carmichael

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Status
Non-Student
Yea, I have a feeling that Palm Beach is not going to get through the LCME accreditation process. I have a hard time believe that the LCME would be cool with a for-profit institution...

Socrates25

7+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
So did you even click on the link that they cited?????????? if you did you'd see that FAU med and Palm Beach medical college are two different universities altogether.

Not sure what their med school model would be like.
I know EXACTLY what their model is going to be like. For the first 2 years it will all be pre-packaged "online" learning with the same 5 MDs and PhDs giving lectures to a hundred students via video hookups. They'll ship out their scab med students to 50 different states in crappy rural primary care clinics that consists solely of shadowing doctors where they'll be lucky if they get to do a physical exam solo on a patient. Many of the crappy DO schools already do this.

After a few years if they are able to fool enough investors to put money into this sinking ship, they'll start bribing larger academic medical centers to take their students and pay them handsome fees, displacing students from LEGIT med schools such as UF or UMiami who dont have the private investor backing to compete w/ these scalawags for clinical training sites (similar to St George's deal with the NYC hospital group). Basically its a "jack in the box" medical school if you want to call it that.

I doubt the LCME would accredit such a crappy program, but then again the osteopathic accrediting body shockingly approved Rocky Vista, so you never know. We are rapidly approaching law school status where the school you attend means everything. Currently you can get into plastic surgery regardless of whether you attended Harvard or some random state med school. With at least 35 new med schools planned, thats going to change very soon. You'll see primary care factories like Palm Beach where their students have ZERO chance of matching into competitive subspecialties, even if they have 250 Step I scores.

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
you bumped this thread, why?