Panda Bear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSails

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble getting to his website?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you hear what happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
what panda bear website? and what does that have to do with premed?

Yeah, it was down yesterday. I just googled "panda bear md" and clicked "CACHED" to read the latest entry.

Well, the Saul you-tube stuff disappears and now the Panda blog disappears. Connection?
51GJ4AXDBSL._SS500_.jpg

Who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree?
Sexual Harassment Panda.
Who explains sexual harassment to you and me?
Sexual Harassment Panda.
"Don't say that! Don't touch there!
Don't be nasty!" says the silly bear.
He's come to tell you what's right and wrong.
Sexual Harassment Panda.

It's been a long time since I read his blog. He's got interesting points of view, but it's just a bit too jaded for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is with this infatuation between college kids and panda bears?? i hear panda this panda that all the time.

It's been a long time since I read his blog. He's got interesting points of view, but it's just a bit too jaded for me.

For me, his view is such a stark contrast to the happy go-lucky "I'm going to save the world!" premeds that I find his blog really quite enjoyable. I don't necessary agree with everything but I appreciate the physician viewpoint on things.

But yeah, I went to check it this morning and it wouldn't work for me. His server must be PMSing or something....

His web site has done this before, I'm just surprised how long it's been this time.

For a supposed ex-marine, I don't think I've ever seen anyone whine so much in my life.

naw, he's just sarcastic, but he's hilarious. some folks don't recognize sarcasm as humor (see thread about offensive ortho, LOL)

For me, his view is such a stark contrast to the happy go-lucky "I'm going to save the world!" premeds that I find his blog really quite enjoyable. I don't necessary agree with everything but I appreciate the physician viewpoint on things.

But yeah, I went to check it this morning and it wouldn't work for me. His server must be PMSing or something....

a physician viewpoint. Blogs like his reflect the same phenomenon we see in voluntary response surveys that skew their results, that is those with strong opinions, more often negative than positive, take the time to voice themselves and cannot be assumed to be representative of the population at hand. That being said he is a good writer and an articulate and more experienced challenge to my worldview.

a physician viewpoint. Blogs like his reflect the same phenomenon we see in voluntary response surveys that skew their results, that is those with strong opinions, more often negative than positive, take the time to voice themselves and cannot be assumed to be representative of the population at hand. That being said he is a good writer and an articulate and more experienced challenge to my worldview.

oh good grief, fine, "A physician viewpoint." clearly he doesn't represent everybody. I mean, duh. give me a break here. I mean an actual doctor versus the nauseating naivete I see spewed around here and at my school all the time...

oh good grief, fine, "A physician viewpoint." clearly he doesn't represent everybody. I mean, duh. give me a break here. I mean an actual doctor versus the nauseating naivete I see spewed around here and at my school all the time...

Naivete? Wait, you mean WE'RE NOT ALL GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD BY BECOMING DOCTORS???? OMG... :(:(:(

Naivete? Wait, you mean WE'RE NOT ALL GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD BY BECOMING DOCTORS???? OMG... :(:(:(

:laugh:

you should hear what some of my classmates say. it's half hilarious, half scary. ok, more like 3/4ths scary, 1/4th funny.

:laugh:

you should hear what some of my classmates say. it's half hilarious, half scary. ok, more like 3/4ths scary, 1/4th funny.

It gets better once you're in med school and hit rotations - then a handful of your classmates will decide they want to be surgeons and everyone else will get a taste of what working 80 hours/week is like and immediately decide on a lifestyle specialty :D.

Yes but do you expose yourself to actual doctors who feel quite different about healthcare than panda? I hear Pandas blog tossed around among premeds as if being jaded before entering a profession is the new black. Saying you are getting into medicine primarily for altruistic reasons is no more audacious then saying you want to become a doctor in the first place if you compare the proportion of people who actualize their original intentions.

Yes but do you expose yourself to actual doctors who feel quite different about healthcare than panda? I hear Pandas blog tossed around among premeds as if being jaded before entering a profession is the new black.

yeah, I agree to a point. I think that having exposure to both sides of the argument of medicine is awesome vs. medicine is hell gives a person a much more reasonable expectation of what they're going to get out of (and have to put into) medicine. of course, I don't just read panda, there's a whole bunch of blogs I read, and there's the real doctors I work with, all of whom have different likes and dislikes when it comes to medicine. as with all things, balance is key.

Yes but do you expose yourself to actual doctors who feel quite different about healthcare than panda? I hear Pandas blog tossed around among premeds as if being jaded before entering a profession is the new black.

YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT. It is waaaaay better to wait until you're in medicine and spent several years of your life and $200,000 to see all the faults that exist in the current system. Because then you're not stuck or anything. Right now I have classmates realizing that they don't really like medicine after all, but they've already spent too much time and money on med school to be able to just get up and leave. Maybe if they had had a little exposure to the negative aspects of the field, and some not-so-lovey-dovey opinions of what medicine is really about, they wouldn't be in this position. Working 80 hours/week is not fun. A lot of the bureaucracy is crap. The patients can be a pain. Those who realize this, and choose medicine anyway, are probably better off than those that insist on painting shiny pictures of the field all the time.

yeah, I agree to a point. I think that having exposure to both sides of the argument of medicine is awesome vs. medicine is hell gives a person a much more reasonable expectation of what they're going to get out of (and have to put into) medicine. of course, I don't just read panda, there's a whole bunch of blogs I read, and there's the real doctors I work with, all of whom have different likes and dislikes when it comes to medicine. as with all things, balance is key.

100% agreed. I just get tired of hearing all these super cynical reactions to people who claim altruism is a central motivator in their decision to pursue medicine. I would be the last person suggesting that people shouldn't entertain as many perspectives as they can get their hands on.

YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT. It is waaaaay better to wait until you're in medicine and spent several years of your life and $200,000 to see all the faults that exist in the current system. Because then you're not stuck or anything. Right now I have classmates realizing that they don't really like medicine after all, but they've already spent too much time and money on med school to be able to just get up and leave. Maybe if they had had a little exposure to the negative aspects of the field, and some not-so-lovey-dovey opinions of what medicine is really about, they wouldn't be in this position. Working 80 hours/week is not fun. A lot of the bureaucracy is crap. The patients can be a pain. Those who realize this, and choose medicine anyway, are probably better off than those that insist on painting shiny pictures of the field all the time.

see above. and CALM DOWN A LITTLE :)

On a related note, who else thinks panda bears are the most awesome creatures on earth? =D

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysTmUTQ5wZE[/YOUTUBE]

I like this one, myself:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRH3iTQPrk[/youtube]

I am not jaded. If I were jaded I would be too bored to write which is not the case. "Cynical" and "jaded" are not necessarily the same thing.

Cynic is what an optimist calls a realist.

For a supposed ex-marine, I don't think I've ever seen anyone whine so much in my life.

"Supposed" nothing. I was an actual muddy, dust-covered, genuine United States Marine Corps infantryman when you were probably still crapping in your Pampers. Now, as you know I am something of a critic of residency training, particularly of the use of sleep-deprivation as an educational tool. The problem with most residents is that when they complain about this, their attendings who have had similar life experiences tell them to toughen up and essentially shame them into keeping their mouths shut.

On the other hand, since I have some life experience at things that are really hard, not just stupid and annoying like a lot of residency training, when some dumb **** senior resident or pasty attending surgeon talks down to me because I don't want to stick around the hospital holding their dicks I can fix 'em with a steely gaze and say, "Hey Buddy, when you can haul a machinegun and eighty pounds of armor and ammunition up and down mountains or patrol through some bug infested jungle for weeks at a time then we'll talk.

I'm doing you a favor by agitating for your welfare. I'm done with call and the long hours so it's really nothing to me.

As for medicine in general, you have a very bambi-centric view of the profession and you are going to be shocked at what you see later on. Look at me and some of the other old-timers here on SDN as the first travellers returning from a fantastic land to tell you about it.

I'm doing you a favor by agitating for your welfare. I'm done with call and the long hours so it's really nothing to me.

I think this sums it up pretty well. If nothing else, the blog is an excellent voice from someone actually in the trenches. If you don't like it, don't read it. Also, if you think he's whining too much - you've got some fun surprises ahead of you.

First off: Panda, you're awesome. I find myself saying "That's what I'm talkin' about!!" all the time when I read your blog. ... It's refreshing to see someone with some frontal lobe activity expressing their opinion on the future sh*thole that our country is headed towards without some serious overhaul.

For you clowns bashing Panda or calling him "whiny"... you're naive at best and an ignorant communist at worst. That's right. Commie.

Finally, I totally agree with your view on the bullsh*t of pointless sleep deprivation ... and being a bit critical of some assclown trying to "pull rank" on you even though you're all civilians and you feel like clocking him in the face.

*sigh*

I don't know how well I'm going to put up with any more bullsh*t hazing in my life... frankly I don't think I'm going to do well with that aspect of internship/residency. Hopefully I won't have toolbags telling me what to do (that isn't warranted at least). I'm done with all that. :)

Keep fighting the good fight Panda!!

Modesty has never been your strong point, has it, Our Savior? :laugh:

First off: Panda, you're awesome. I find myself saying "That's what I'm talkin' about!!" all the time when I read your blog. ... It's refreshing to see someone with some frontal lobe activity expressing their opinion on the future sh*thole that our country is headed towards without some serious overhaul.

For you clowns bashing Panda or calling him "whiny"... you're naive at best and an ignorant communist at worst. That's right. Commie.

Finally, I totally agree with your view on the bullsh*t of pointless sleep deprivation ... and being a bit critical of some assclown trying to "pull rank" on you even though you're all civilians and you feel like clocking him in the face.

*sigh*

I don't know how well I'm going to put up with any more bullsh*t hazing in my life... frankly I don't think I'm going to do well with that aspect of internship/residency. Hopefully I won't have toolbags telling me what to do (that isn't warranted at least). I'm done with all that. :)

Keep fighting the good fight Panda!!

hahahah I need to read the blog...this is my biggest fear...because I am afraid I am going to get myself in trouble... I am a nurse now and its going to be so hard to take crap from first years and attendings...because now I smile and chuckle when i see residents being humiliated by their attendings...and I try to help them when I can...esp in july when the newbies start...its going to be soo hard to it back quietly and understand the hierarchy of a teaching hospital from this side... right now if an attending is out of hand I can tell them to leave me alone and get back to me when they are feeling respectful...as a student and a resident I have to take it and swallow my pride and I don't know if I know how to do that...:)