Paramedic to DO - pipe dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesposito

Idiot paramedic premed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a paramedic for a long time, got my MS and now I teach and do administrative stuff at a hospital-based EMS system in the Chicago area.

I've thought on and off for years of going to medical school to be an ER doc. I was a firefighter/paramedic for several years but the medical always appealed to me more than the fire side.

Anyone out there go to medical school after being a paramedic for some time? I'm 43 years old... am I fooling myself into thinking I'll like the ER as much as I loved the field?

I'd also have to go retake all my prereqs as I took them so long ago, my chances of doing well with the MCAT would be painfully slim.

Oh, and if you were wondering, I'm thinking DO instead of MD because I live five minutes from CCOM. Location, location, location.

Audrey

Members don't see this ad.

EMT/paramedic --> MD/DO is a very common transition for people and having the experience in the field is very important. It gives you a definite edge in the application process in my opinion.

Don't let your age stop you. TONS of DO students are non-trads and don't even start med school until they're in their 50's. Taking the pre-reqs will only take you a couple years right? You have time :)

I will say this though- as much as I am pro-DO, don't limit yourself to CCOM just because you're so close. The Chicago area is SO full of medical schools! Just definitely make sure you are solid on DO because some schools will really drill you on why you applied there. Some people will argue otherwise, but I personally think it's important to have good answers to "why DO?" during your interviews. Good luck deciding- it's a big change for sure!

Certainly not a pipe dream at all. There are many that are second career that go on to med school for one reason or another.

Honestly you just have to decide for yourself whether this is a path you want to start on at this age. Just sit down and plan out a realistic time line so you know what you are really dealing with... retaking undergrad courses, 4yrs med school, then 3 yr EM residency plus whatever debt.

The other thing is to look at PA as an option with less time/money commitment which could be a major factor.

Just playing a little devil's advocate, certainly not going to suggest one way or another as I really don't know what I would do in a similar situation, would take a fair bit of soul searchin' before I commit to that journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
NOT a pipe dream! Check out the attachment below :D

Age is a state of mind. And pipe dreams are reserved for people who let life pass them by.

Hi all,

I've been a paramedic for a long time, got my MS and now I teach and do administrative stuff at a hospital-based EMS system in the Chicago area.

I've thought on and off for years of going to medical school to be an ER doc. I was a firefighter/paramedic for several years but the medical always appealed to me more than the fire side.

Anyone out there go to medical school after being a paramedic for some time? I'm 43 years old... am I fooling myself into thinking I'll like the ER as much as I loved the field?

I'd also have to go retake all my prereqs as I took them so long ago, my chances of doing well with the MCAT would be painfully slim.

Oh, and if you were wondering, I'm thinking DO instead of MD because I live five minutes from CCOM. Location, location, location.

Audrey

I think people like you make great physicians! Come to the non-traditional forum and again, welcome!

If you want it bad enough, do it bro!

Paramedic to DO specifically is actually not that hard of jump to make, according to DOs that were Paramedics at one time or current DO students. Talking to a Paramedic friend of mine that applied last year, he described his interview as actually being quite laid back, and saw "Paramedic" written on a sticky on his file. After the interview, he felt confident and found out later that he was accepted, while others didn't feel so at ease after the interview.

There are many of us coming into DO applications, as not only Paramedics but non-traditional students as well. Welcome to the club, and as MexicanDr mentioned you are more than welcome in the non-traditional thread club. :)

Good to see a fellow Paramedic considering med school.

I recently applied for a PA program out in the Pacific NW but am having second thoughts on it. There is something just nagging me about doing it over going to med school. I screwed up a few semesters of undergrad but that's another story and now better thanks to medication (Adult ADHD sucks). I thought med school would be a long shot in Hell but lately my thoughts have changed. If it is what you want to do, go for it. There are a million reasons people say they'd do it again and a million reasons they'd say not to. Just take it all with a grain of salt.

But you are not too old. Take your prereqs again if they are too old and consider a MCAT prep course. Head over to the Non-Trad forum and enjoy the ongoing threads and start some if you want.

Good luck

I was a paramedic for years. Went back to school and graduated from DO school at the age of 43. Interestingly enough, I found EM... well... boring. All the fun stuff had been done already when the patients got to the ED. I am currently the "old lady intern" at a wonderful IM program. You'll find your niche.

If you don't chase your dream you'll be forever looking in the mirror every morning wondering "what if" and knowing that you were the one to tell yourself "no".

I will say this though- as much as I am pro-DO, don't limit yourself to CCOM just because you're so close. The Chicago area is SO full of medical schools! Just definitely make sure you are solid on DO because some schools will really drill you on why you applied there.

Thank you Grace! The closeness is an unavoidable factor though, as I have three children who won't see much of me as it is.

As for being solid on DO, I can sound enthusiastic, LOL.

A

I was a paramedic for years. Went back to school and graduated from DO school at the age of 43. Interestingly enough, I found EM... well... boring. All the fun stuff had been done already when the patients got to the ED.

And that's my worry. What if I get to the ER and it's not all about, well, "ER"? My hospital is a busy trauma center and I have watched plenty of stuff in our ER, but that doesn't mean it will translate to the same feelings I had as a medic.

On the other hand, emergency medicine interests me, and I know I'm smart enough to do it. But it would be a waste of 7+ years to do something just because I'm smart enough...

A

Hi all,

Audrey

Have you head of Bryan Bledsoe, DO?

http://www.jems.com/index.php?q=authors/bryan-e-bledsoe-do-facep-faaem

EMT-B '89-91, NREMT-P '91-03. DO '07, just graduated from EM program this year. Plenty of people doing what you're thinking of doing. Thought that after 12 years as a medic, that anesthesia was for me. Guess not.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I decided to change careers after a long career in another field, I met with admission folks at several schools to get their thoughts on how to start/put together my best application. I found this extremely helpful in getting me to focus immediately on classes and volunteering.

You should make an appointment with someone in the admissions department at CCOM and have them give you some pointers on putting together your best application. Good luck!

Yes I have, met him a few times at various things. He's made sure that EVERYONE has heard of Bryan Bledsoe, DO.

If I turned out like Bledsoe, that would NOT be a selling point, LOL (oops, sorry, should have said that in my in-my-head voice).

A

Well, I didn't know that about him. Now, I do. I only wanted to point the whole EMT-P, DO thing.

Thank you Grace! The closeness is an unavoidable factor though, as I have three children who won't see much of me as it is.

As for being solid on DO, I can sound enthusiastic, LOL.

A
Hey you do whatever you have to do when it comes down to it! I have visited Midwestern's campus and really liked the area, but I am not familiar with the rest of the school locations in the Chicago area. Are they just really that far? I would never try to sway you away from CCOM- it's a great program! A little pricey for my liking though, so if you're an IL resident, some of those state tuition prices might tempt you later on if you get accepted. Especially starting at a later age, the debt is just really overwhelming! Good luck deciding!

I was a paramedic for years. Went back to school and graduated from DO school at the age of 43. Interestingly enough, I found EM... well... boring. All the fun stuff had been done already when the patients got to the ED. I am currently the "old lady intern" at a wonderful IM program. You'll find your niche.

If you don't chase your dream you'll be forever looking in the mirror every morning wondering "what if" and knowing that you were the one to tell yourself "no".

Couldn't agree more. I'm already feeling the "what if" syndrome, LOL. Great post, Shyrem, thank you for posting!

Thank you everyone for your helpful answers!

Any other thoughts on whether I'll enjoy the ER as much as the prehospital field (based on personal experience, I assume)?

A

You know, it's interesting. Of all the paramedics and EMTs I know that went to med school (we're talking about 30 here total), it seems the paramedics do NOT go for EM, and the EMT-Bs and Is do go for EM. Paramedics tend to go for psych, IM, or anesthesia. Just personal observation.

Keep an open mind about specialties. I was very surprised by what I enjoyed.

You know, it's interesting. Of all the paramedics and EMTs I know that went to med school (we're talking about 30 here total), it seems the paramedics do NOT go for EM, and the EMT-Bs and Is do go for EM. Paramedics tend to go for psych, IM, or anesthesia. Just personal observation.

Was a medic for 12 years. Went EM. Outlier. Me.

I will, thank you!

A

don't forget that midwestern offeres heatl career professions day that are a wonderful opportunity to checkout the programs, get your face seen and ask questions of those on campus.

Hi all,

Audrey

<----- I did it....don't let age worry you. Just go for it. I will say, however, that after starting medical school my love for the ER wained. It's a different world in the ER as the physician than the medic in the field and I truthfully didn't love it as much. I'm now pursuing Critical Care, but in the end I don't regret it and I don't think you would either.

Paramedic to DO specifically is actually not that hard of jump to make, according to DOs that were Paramedics at one time or current DO students. Talking to a Paramedic friend of mine that applied last year, he described his interview as actually being quite laid back, and saw "Paramedic" written on a sticky on his file. After the interview, he felt confident and found out later that he was accepted, while others didn't feel so at ease after the interview.

There are many of us coming into DO applications, as not only Paramedics but non-traditional students as well. Welcome to the club, and as MexicanDr mentioned you are more than welcome in the non-traditional thread club. :)

My entire interview consisted of calls I had run and different situations my interviewer had in his career. When they found out about my past they put me with an ER interviewer specifically so it worked out well to my advantage. It seemed more like BS'ing with colleagues than an interview.

My entire interview consisted of calls I had run and different situations my interviewer had in his career. When they found out about my past they put me with an ER interviewer specifically so it worked out well to my advantage. It seemed more like BS'ing with colleagues than an interview.
Nice! :thumbup::thumbup: Now just to get to the interview stage :)