Paraneoplastic syndrome renal cell carcinoma erythropoietin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javksmith93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello so I don't think i understand paraneoplastic syndromes.

I was taught in school that paraneoplastic syndromes are symptoms that don't make sense because of where the tumor is (is this wrong?) (alternatively the wiki definition is the same as what i was taught ie is a syndrome (a set of signs and symptoms) that is the consequence of cancer in the body but that, unlike mass effect, is not due to the local presence of cancer cells")

My confusion stems from if the above is right is why renal cell carcinoma cause a paraneoplastic syndrome of Polycythemia by releasing erythropoietin. To me that seems like the kidneys usually produce erythropoietin so it makes sense that they would cause polycythemia and thus this would not be a paraneoplastic syndrome or taking the wiki definition there is a local presence of cancer cells in the kidney which causes the extra release of erythropoietin.

To me it seems the same as Cushing syndrome where if it is caused by Adrenocortical carcinoma it is not considered a paraneoplastic syndrome.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello so I don't think i understand paraneoplastic syndromes.

I was taught in school that paraneoplastic syndromes are symptoms that don't make sense because of where the tumor is (is this wrong?) (alternatively the wiki definition is the same as what i was taught ie is a syndrome (a set of signs and symptoms) that is the consequence of cancer in the body but that, unlike mass effect, is not due to the local presence of cancer cells")

My confusion stems from if the above is right is why renal cell carcinoma cause a paraneoplastic syndrome of Polycythemia by releasing erythropoietin. To me that seems like the kidneys usually produce erythropoietin so it makes sense that they would cause polycythemia and thus this would not be a paraneoplastic syndrome or taking the wiki definition there is a local presence of cancer cells in the kidney which causes the extra release of erythropoietin.

To me it seems the same as Cushing syndrome where if it is caused by Adrenocortical carcinoma it is not considered a paraneoplastic syndrome.

Renal cell carcinoma is derived from PCT cells. EPO is made by the peritubular cells. These are two related but different tissues. That's why it's paraneoplastic, you wouldn't expect PCT cells themselves to make EPO.

Also of note, EPO is also synthesized in the liver.

Reactions: 1 users