Paranoid now about getting emails for interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunionberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my email provider (Hotmail...don't laugh!) decided to just filter out a school I applied to. I had received an interview invite from them, and apparently they send emails when you get one. However, I never got an email due to that filter (wasn't even in the junk mail) and only knew by checking the status of my secondary app on the school's website. I went ahead and added all the schools I applied to as "safe senders" and so I would think it wouldn't be a problem now. But now I'm worried about the schools that don't have secondary apps where I can check my status on. I had my app transmitted in the middle of July and so far that one school is the only one to give me an II. I'm thinking it's possible some potential emails might have been filtered and I may never know about them.

Is it weird to email or call schools to find out about the status of your application? Or am I just being too paranoid?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a better email provider. Switch to gmail and update your email address on AMCAS. Call the individual schools to update them about your email and inquire about the status of your application.

Ah I just realized that I had received confirmation emails about receiving my application from the schools that don't have a secondary...maybe that one school that got filtered was just the anomaly. In any case, I'll probably start switching over to my gmail account. I've just had this Hotmail one for the past 10 or so years and have never had any problems with it before.

Hotmail is notorious for its poor filtering accuracy. Yahoo is another bad one. The best option is to either use your college/work email address, or use a gmail account. I've been using gmail for about 8 years now and I've never had it block an important email.

I wouldn't call up schools asking about your status. That will definitely annoy them. Just change your email address to a service that's good about not blocking important mail. I believe it's one of the few things AMCAS lets you change after submitting your application. You can also call up schools and inform them of the change if you're worried.