Part-Time Jobs/Extra-curricular Advice for Second Bachelors before Med School ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docgoals90

Reaction score
My question is what kind of volunteer and/or work experiences should I be looking for from day one? I want to craft as compelling a narrative as possible, given that even after 4-5 years of undergrad study, I still wont have the best GPA. Thoughts on the following points, please:

• I've heard people say shadow doctors. Should I focus on one type of doctor or shadow a variety? (Probably the latter?) Does one just email random doctors to make this happen?
  • Is shadowing the same thing as "clinical experience" ? I've read that this should be a priority in application.
  • Any advice on "social good" volunteer opportunities for populations specifically in need? My career so far has been focused on nonprofit work and political organizing, to give context.
  • I've read some suggest part time work in a hospital, which is appealing. EMT, phlebotomist, medical scribe, medical secretary have been mentioned.

Background Info:

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm pursuing a second bachelor's degree, to provide myself with 4-5 years of rehabilitation for my crazy low undergrad GPA (2.0) and build a foundation in science, as my first degree is in poly sci. Planning to double major in Behavioral Neuroscience and Biomedical Sciences.

I'm going all in - taking student loans and switching to a part time job to work around the school schedule. Luckily alumni get a 50% discount on courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Shadowing is observing/following the doctor around and occasionally asking a few questions. It is not clinical experience.
Clinical experience is where you can interact and touch patients in a hospital or hospice setting.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard people say shadow doctors. Should focus on one type of doctor or shadow a variety? (Probably the latter?) Does one just email random doctors to make this happen?

Try emailing a hospital. They sometimes have shadowing programs, or at least all the forms you need to sign already handy.

I've read some suggest part time work in a hospital, which is appealing. EMT, phlebotomist, medical scribe, medical secretary have been mentioned.

Scribing is a great way to expose yourself to medicine to see if it’s right for you.

For part-time work, you can look into becoming a certified nursing assistant (CNA). It's hard work but you will get a lot of patient interaction. EMT is ok. You won't get nearly as much patient interaction as a CNA. Some hospitals hire for patient transporters (that's what I currently work as and I get enough patient interaction there). There is phlebotomy too.
Don't spread yourself to thin though. Grades and the MCAT is still the meat of an application. Extracurricular activities are the potatoes.