Partial match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PENNYWISETHECLOWN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Firstly, congratulations to all out there that matched this year.

I partially matched into a preliminary year, but not radiology.

How do I go about finding open radiology spots in the upcoming months to prevent entering the match next year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

How do I go about finding open radiology spots in the upcoming months to prevent entering the match next year?

Thanks

First, you should have SOAPed.
Second, at the end of SOAP, NRMP releases a list of programs that are still unfilled. You have access if you are unmatched or partially matched.

First, you should have SOAPed.
Second, at the end of SOAP, NRMP releases a list of programs that are still unfilled. You have access if you are unmatched or partially matched.
No rad positions were available in SOAP except for 1 program which never gave an offer. Currently, the only available positions are for military or government sponsorship. Im actively checking freidas and apdr but nothing yet. Ive heard about aunti minnie but can't seem to find where open positions are posted. Worst case scenario i will enter the match next year and apply for advanced and physician only positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you’ve exhausted the usual suspects. Another option is to cold call (/email) a bunch of programs with your CV and ask for them to keep you in mind if a position opens up.

A lot of open positions are never advertised and end up getting filled by local prelim interns who get vouched for by the surgery or medicine programs.

Sounds like you’ve exhausted the usual suspects. Another option is to cold call (/email) a bunch of programs with your CV and ask for them to keep you in mind if a position opens up.

A lot of open positions are never advertised and end up getting filled by local prelim interns who get vouched for by the surgery or medicine programs.

hmm, I've thought about that idea. I will definitely do this now.

It's surprising not more positions were available via SOAP. There were 16 unfilled DR spots.

There were actually 7 programs with 11 unfilled positions on monday after initial match news. 3 positions are for military or people with government sponsor. Meaning in reality for the normal applicant there were only 8 positions to SOAP in. One program had 4 spots (they went completely filled during SOAP). The other programs had only 1 spot unfilled, which also quickly filled in the first round. After SOAP the only remaining programs only have military/government positions. So basically, no options to choose from.

Sorry to hijack your thread, albeit somewhat related to your situation. To avoid something like this from happening, do you have an option (when you are making a match list) to match into prelim if and only if you also match into a radiology PGY-2 spot? I'd rather do a year of research and reapply as a US senior to both internship and PGY-2 rather than having to apply for a PGY-2 spot during the internship. AFAIK, if you only match into internship and choose not to graduate, that's a match violation.

Sorry to hijack your thread, albeit somewhat related to your situation. To avoid something like this from happening, do you have an option (when you are making a match list) to match into prelim if and only if you also match into a radiology PGY-2 spot? I'd rather do a year of research and reapply as a US senior to both internship and PGY-2 rather than having to apply for a PGY-2 spot during the internship. AFAIK, if you only match into internship and choose not to graduate, that's a match violation.

Yes, if you don’t include prelim programs on your primary rank order list (ROL), then you won’t match a prelim program without matching a rads spot first. You will create an individual supplemental ROL for each indidual rads program on your primary ROL. Only when candidates add prelims programs to the primary ROL is it possible to match a prelim without matching a rads spot.

Hello,

Thanks

The NRMP now has an "all in" policy, so any spots starting in July 2020 that open between now and the ROL deadline for next Match cycle are required to be filled through the Match. Thus, you will likely need to go through Match to have chance at getting PGY-2 spot. The only case where spots for PGY-2/R1 positions starting in July can be filled outside the Match is between March-June of the same year (when there isn't going to be another Match cycle before the position begins).

Then the next question is why you think you didn't match. What were your scores, grades? Are you USMD, DO, or IMG? How many programs did you apply to, and how many interviews did you receive, how many interviews did you go to, and how many programs did you rank? Were they mostly top tier vs mid-tier vs community? Any red flags on your application? Radiology is fairly competitive at the moment and has been since the 2017 Match, so you need to talk to your school advisors and see what you can improve in your application next cycle, or even if a re-application to radiology is realistic. Make sure you have a back-up plan.

Reactions: 1 user