Partying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neur0goddess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do you pre-meds get out on a daily basis? Is going out ~5 times a week realistic as a pre-med, at least during freshman year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean it may be realistic, but a waste of time.

Reactions: 4 users
I will readily admit I may have done college wrong but five times a week seems junior or senior level. Definitely don't dig yourself into a GPA hole starting out.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How often do you pre-meds get out on a daily basis? Is going out ~5 times a week realistic as a pre-med, at least during freshman year?

How often on a daily basis? Well, personally, I like to party at least 3 times a day.

Once in the morning after I've had tea, twice before lunch, and if I'm really productive I can get another party in before supper.

Reactions: 20 users
I mean... Yeah it's doable... Do you really want to though? That's a lot of going out. Just thinking about it makes me feel tired.
If you really think going out 5 nights a week is important, then go for it, but make sure your GPA doesn't suffer...

I mean... Yeah it's doable... Do you really want to though? That's a lot of going out. Just thinking about it makes me feel tired.
If you really think going out 5 nights a week is important, then go for it, but make sure your GPA doesn't suffer...

I can't believe people are actually writing out serious responses to this... I'd say based off this thread medicine is probably not for you, OP.

Nothing wrong with partying. 5 times a week though? Seems a bit much.

There have been way too many horror stories about getting off to a poor start in college and having this bite 'em in the behind come junior/senior year. If anything, minimize partying your freshman year to ensure you get off to a great start academically.

Now, when you get to senior year are you're in great academic standing, f*ck **** up.

I cant imagine how awful I would feel going out 5 times a week.

Well what counts as partying? If i'm close enough to smell the booze and hear the music will that count? Lets get LizzM in here...

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know people that do cocaine regularly, and they do not party 5 times a week. But hell, being a pre-med is more hardcore than that. Go get 'em, OP.

I mean, I put "~5" in my first post, signifying around 5 days...I had no idea that going out that much was so crazy to college students. I guess growing up near some major party schools has distorted my view point :shrug: bay area represent

I know people that do cocaine regularly, and they do not party 5 times a week. But hell, being a pre-med is more hardcore than that. Go get 'em, OP.

Ya go for it OP. I personally dance regularly and actively in a zebra outfit.

tumblr_m7353ibDQ51rwoif0o1_500.gif

Reactions: 8 users
How often do you pre-meds get out on a daily basis?

Your question doesn't make any sense. If you are partying on a daily basis, by definition, you are partying daily. This is like asking how many years you'll spend in school annually during undergrad.

Your question doesn't make any sense. If you are partying on a daily basis, by definition, you are partying daily. This is like asking how many years you'll spend in school annually during undergrad.

You're right, that was incorrect semantically. I think I got my point across, though.

If you're going out 5x a week, you're not going hard enough when you go out. Work hard, play hard, and you should be hitting 2-3 days/week max.

Go out like partying and drinking? 5 times a week? Who has that much money?
I went out like four times a month, and I thought I was going off the rails.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, I put "~5" in my first post, signifying around 5 days...I had no idea that going out that much was so crazy to college students. I guess growing up near some major party schools has distorted my view point :shrug: bay area represent
There are some people who do go out 5x a week, but they are definitely not premed and most don't last very long in college at all. And yes everybody knows "somebody" who can pull this off but that is the exception. If you want to put yourself in a position to successfully apply to medical school you will limit yourself to 2, MAYBE 3 times going out a week occasionally. I mean obviously somebody could do it, but if your priorities are to go out that much I don't think your head is in the right place to begin with.

and take it from me, I partied too much freshmen year and made some really really stupid mistakes that actually came back to bite me. My 2nd semester I only pulled a 3.18 and I got an IA for drinking in the dorms , both of which were very detrimental to my application overall and could easily have been avoided. Have fun but make smart choices. Always in moderation.

on the same note, do a big chunk of pre-meds judge "partiers"? I know you can't generalize a whole group of people, but are they usually chill themselves or do they think they're better everyone else because they just study all the time?

There are some people who do go out 5x a week, but they are definitely not premed and most don't last very long in college at all. And yes everybody knows "somebody" who can pull this off but that is the exception. If you want to put yourself in a position to successfully apply to medical school you will limit yourself to 2, MAYBE 3 times going out a week occasionally. I mean obviously somebody could do it, but if your priorities are to go out that much I don't think your head is in the right place to begin with.

I wouldn't call partying a priority, but going out is very important. Tbh, I couldn't handle the stress of a heavy course load if I couldn't channel that frustration into having a fun time. I've been able to balance partying with school pretty well this year with 7 APs/college apps/SAT/subject tests so I was just wondering if that could be doable in college

Streampaw? Dat you?

Reactions: 8 users
If I remember correctly...

Freshman: 2-3 nights/week
Sophomore: 1 night/week
Junior: First part - 1 night/week, second part - ~2 nights/week
Senior: 8 days/week
Senior after getting into medical school: 9 days/week
Med school: depends on the week, but probably average 1-2 nights/week during first half of M1

Reactions: 6 users
If I remember correctly...

Freshman: 2-3 nights/week
Sophomore: 1 night/week
Junior: First part - 1 night/week, second part - ~2 nights/week
Senior: 8 days/week
Senior after getting into medical school: 9 days/week
Med school: depends on the week, but probably average 1-2 nights/week during first half of M1

not too shabby, except for sophomore and junior year :eek: was it really that bad?

Last edited:
I know getting caught with weed isn't an app killer in and of itself, but how about harder drugs, i.e. prescription, coke, shrooms, etc?

on the same note, do a big chunk of pre-meds judge "partiers"? I know you can't generalize a whole group of people, but are they usually chill themselves or do they think they're better everyone else because they just study all the time?

I wouldn't call partying a priority, but going out is very important. Tbh, I couldn't handle the stress of a heavy course load if I couldn't channel that frustration into having a fun time. I've been able to balance partying with school pretty well this year with 7 APs/college apps/SAT/subject tests so I was just wondering if that could be doable in college
There are some of both types. I knew many premeds who liked to party and I knew some who looked down upon it. You will be surprised at the atmosphere in college as you will see people at party's that you would never dreamt you would see them out. It's weird.

It's good to have a form of stress relief. College is harder than high school. Get your dose of partying during orientation week, then buckle down until you are absolutely sure you are doing well in classes (I would wait till after the first midterms if I could go back and change it). Make sure you find friends who can have fun without drinking (they do exist), because some weekends you will need to be studying for a bio or Chem exam on Monday but still want to do something fun on Saturday night. Balance balance balance is the key.

not too bad, except for sophomore and junior year :eek: was it really that bad?

Well, I pledged a frat sophomore year so if you count that, then really for the first part it was around 6 nights/week (on top of two labs and a bunch of other stuff), but I wanted to make sure I did really well in my prereqs, so sophomore year I tried to limit the amount of time going out. I was less successful at this towards the end of the year.

I'd say I would average twice a week Fr-Jn years. Maybe thrice if it was an easy part of the semester. The max I've heard of very successful premeds going out is like 3 times maybe four times a week. Now as an accepted student I'm looking forward to Senior Spring. 12-13 credits+ going out + spring break. Life will be good.

Using them I won't comment on, but getting caught using them would probably be a big hit to your app strength.

so more of a hit than getting caught with weed or getting slapped with an underage drinking charge, but less of a hit then say, a DUI or cheating?

I know getting caught with weed isn't an app killer in and of itself, but how about harder drugs, i.e. prescription, coke, shrooms, etc?

Use some common sense dude. Dont touch that stuff.

Honestly you can say all you want about experimenting and finding yourself and expressing yourself and being able to control yourself with drugs blah blah blah but that is ridiculous, if you want to be a doctor you should not be doing hard drugs. Again if that is your priority, you need to reevaluate. You can easily f*ck up your career prospects for some temporary high and if you truly wanted to be a doctor that is not worth it. Not just directed at OP but anyone in general.

so more of a hit than getting caught with weed or getting slapped with an underage drinking charge, but less of a hit then say, a DUI or cheating?

I don't know how bad.

But it would be bad.

They have thousands of applications to choose from. Why give them a reason to choose someone else?

Nobody is going to let someone who is abusing prescription drugs into MEDICAL SCHOOL. If you are caught, you are toast. I can't even see the Caribbean schools overlooking this

Also OP, find stress relief that doesn't involve abusing poison. Your body, peers and family will thank you.

I have gone out once during my whole college career, and my GPA is not where I want it to be. Also, that one night out was during summer break

Status
Not open for further replies.