Partying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been partying more in med school than in college

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Istanbul is nice, a lot of things to do. Ankara is nice too.

Yeah, Turkey is hella nice in general. The beaches are amazing too, second only to Dubai in the region

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're not supposed to ask a girl her age. But I'd wager mid to late 20s?

You're not supposed to ask a girl her age. But I'd wager mid to late 20s?

Very true..... but if you do ask..... always say something like "Oh but you look 21ish. Good genes ;)"

I assume you are in your early 20s?

Members don't see this ad :)
In Pittsburgh on the south side there's a bar called "The Library" so you can go to the library on a Monday night, get drunk, and not get judged so hard.

In Pittsburgh on the south side there's a bar called "The Library" so you can go to the library on a Monday night, get drunk, and not get judged so hard.

*adds Pitt on the Common App*

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget to add Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne, Point Park, Carlow, and Chatham that are also in Pitt... Not to mention the others that are in the general area :D

If you're partying 5x a week, you're not going hard enough....

@neur0goddess OP, I think the issue is that you seem like you've become accustomed to partying regularly in high school, and hope to continue to do so in college, but are also pursuing medicine.
At some point, you're going to have to learn to sacrifice all of that to succeed in med school, residency, patient care, etc...
You'll have to let it go at some point while you watch your friends go out regularly, take vacations, get married, have kids, etc.. while you're slaving away intern year.
Don't spoil yourself with too much fun and free time (as depressing as that may sound lol)

@neur0goddess OP, I think the issue is that you seem like you've become accustomed to partying regularly in high school, and hope to continue to do so in college, but are also pursuing medicine.
At some point, you're going to have to learn to sacrifice all of that to succeed in med school, residency, patient care, etc...
You'll have to let it go at some point while you watch your friends go out regularly, take vacations, get married, have kids, etc.. while you're slaving away intern year.
Don't spoil yourself with too much fun and free time (as depressing as that may sound lol)

Yeah, you're spot on there...let's see how much I can get out of my system in undergrad lol

Wait, you haven't even applied to college yet? Why is this in pre-allo and not the high school forum?

because it's a question about being pre-allo? it makes no sense for it to be in hsdn. I don't want high schoolers' thoughts on something they haven't experienced yet

because it's a question about being pre-allo? it makes no sense for it to be in hsdn. I don't want high schoolers' thoughts on something they haven't experienced yet

Last edited:
I would bet a significant amount of money you will not end up in medical school if you party 5 times per week. You will understand once you're actually a premed

By no means is it advisable, but I'm sure a number of people could pull it off. I am not one of these people because I go HAM when I party. Twice per week is plenty enough.

my cousin partied hard his first year of college, which tanked his GPA (think mid-2.o's). He's doing a neurosurgery residency now, but it took him an extra 3 years to get into med school.

I partied once my freshman year and twice my sophomore year. I guess I don't see that much appeal in parties, especially after seeing one of my friends really struggle academically from going out too much. I mean, there are probably some 4.0's out there who're wild party animals but I'm already struggling in balancing my life lol.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer to hang out with the gf over cruising bars/clubs. At least if we are talking on a regular basis.
Smashing>>>>>getting hammered after all:p

1455502067738607651.jpg

High School is a complete and utter joke compared to college. Do not think it will be even remotely close. College isnt insanely hard. Its just that Public education in the United States is a complete disaster.

High School is a complete and utter joke compared to college. Do not think it will be even remotely close. College isnt insanely hard. Its just that Public education in the United States is a complete disaster.

The elite high schools are usually much more difficult than most colleges sans the Ivy Leagues/top tiers. We see people spamming AP/IB credits and dual-enrollment credits on top of maintaining lots of strong ECs

Even "average" high schools in affluent areas can surpass many colleges in difficulty.

If OP is partying every night, I doubt she goes to an IB school. Calling it like it is.

I go to a top ranked private school...

Simple answer: Yes.
5 days a week? No. Nor do I think you'd even want to be partying that much -- you'd quickly get sick of it.
Like everything else, moderation is fine. But there are going to be times when you'll need to buckle down for a week or two straight without doing much else. Just be prepared for that. You'll get over it and it'll become status quo in no time.

The elite high schools are usually much more difficult than most colleges sans the Ivy Leagues/top tiers. We see people spamming AP/IB credits and dual-enrollment credits on top of maintaining lots of strong ECs

Even "average" high schools in affluent areas can surpass many colleges in difficulty.
I go to a top ranked private school...

My post made it pretty clear I was referring to Public high schools..... ( "Its just that Public education in the United States is a complete disaster.")

My post made it pretty clear I was referring to Public high schools..... ( "Its just that Public education in the United States is a complete disaster.")

I was referring to public high schools. There are many many high schools (public and private) that provide excellent education that completely surpasses education in most colleges. Sure they can be in affluent areas or are very selective, but it is wrong to say that high school is a joke compared to college.

For instance, many students who partake and win in high school international science olympiad competition are those who can breeze through college curricula in MIT/Chicago etc. Good high school education establishes a powerful foundation to succeed quite comfortably in college.

I know, but you were implying that I attend a public school when I don't. And as lawper said, there are many rigorous public college prep high schools, esp. in affluent areas, that are much more challenging than some colleges, at least in the underclassmen level.

I was referring to public high schools. There are many many high schools (public and private) that provide excellent education that completely surpasses education in most colleges. Sure they can be in affluent areas or are very selective, but it is wrong to say that high school is a joke compared to college.

For instance, many students who partake and win in high school international science olympiad competition are those who can breeze through college curricula in MIT/Chicago etc. Good high school education establishes a powerful foundation to succeed quite comfortably in college.

You are looking at a small percentage of public high schools. You even said "elite" high schools prior in the post you made before this one. Most public high schools and most high school students for that matter, are not in this opportunity bubble that you are describing. Especially high schools in small rural towns across the United States particularly in the Midwest and the South. Large City high schools are not all immune to this either. Many inner city high schools provide extremely poor educational opportunities as well. For each of those high schools you are describing, there are probably 3-4 high schools that provide extremely poor education. I would not be surprised if there were even more.

My high school consisted of our calculus teacher playing video games on his computer, our AP Bio class consisted of playing card games, chess and filling in coloring books, and so forth. This is just 1 High school in some random city. I've heard about much worse cases from friends in college at a large public state state school where college attendees come from across the USA. This is the state of affairs with many many high schools in low city budget areas.

Last edited:
You are looking at a small percentage of public high schools. You even said "elite" high schools prior in the post you made before this one. Most public high schools and most high school students for that matter, are not in this opportunity bubble that you are describing. Especially high schools in small rural towns across the United States particularly in the Midwest and the South. Large City high schools are not all immune to this either. Many inner city high schools provide extremely poor educational opportunities as well. For each of those high schools you are describing, there is probably 3-4 high schools that provide extremely poor education. I would not be surprised if there were even more.

My high school consisted of our calculus teacher playing video games on his computer, our AP Bio class consisted of playing card games, chess and filling in coloring books, and so forth. This is the state of affairs with many many high schools in low city budget areas.

I'm not disputing what you're saying at all. In my town, there are two public high schools that sound exactly like yours. I have many friends taking full AP course loads and getting 4.0s with minimal effort bc the teachers don't check anything or even take attendance. Those are students who go to do miserably in college, as they are not in the least bit prepared for college-level work. Those are the students who drop pre-med so early in their freshman year; someone who has been thoroughly prepped for college with rigorous classes, on the other hand, can definitely breeze through, at least until they get into their upper-division classes. I agree that these students are definitely not in the majority. That being said, public education reform in this country is vital.

I'm not disputing what you're saying at all. In my town, there are two public high schools that sound exactly like yours. I have many friends taking full AP course loads and getting 4.0s with minimal effort bc the teachers don't check anything or even take attendance. Those are students who go to do miserably in college, as they are not in the least bit prepared for college-level work. Those are the students who drop pre-med so early in their freshman year; someone who has been thoroughly prepped for college with rigorous classes, on the other hand, can definitely breeze through, at least until they get into their upper-division classes. I agree that these students are definitely not in the majority. That being said, public education reform in this country is vital.

Well its good that you have a few examples in your town as thats further confirmation of what I'm talking about. But I dont think that means those students are going to do miserably in college. I graduated from one of the many joke high schools in our country and I ended up with a higher GPa than MD school matriculants. This wasn't from a community college or anything either. It was from a Large public state school. I'm sure there are many like me. I wont say that it was fun starting out being behind the other kids though. It became quickly apparent how much REAL education a lot of my peers had received. That being said, I've always been a big advocate of public educational reform. Because for every one of those "elite" public high schools, there are most likely (probably more) 3-4 laughable high schools.

If you can manage your time well and get things done, it's entirely realistic to get out on a near daily basis. Heck, as a first year medical student, it is possible to do this.

Being a pledge meant 6 nights a week (Tuesdays we were let off easy and only had pledge duty.) That was freshman year.
Sophomore year was a huge mistake for me and it varied from not going out at all for months at a time to parting literally every single day.
Junior and senior year I barely went out once a week.
Once I was accepted to medical school, I kept it easy til I got my degree. Then I went hard that summer with the fraternity.

M1 = 1-2x a week, depending on the week
M2 = I could get away with it 1x a week in the fall, but in the spring my family probably never heard from me. My then-girlfriend didn't see me unless she was in the library or spent the night.
M3? Hell naw
M4 = 2x a week if I have a better rotation and if I'm on leave for an interview. I like to stay a little extra if I can to explore the new city and the night life (if time permits, which is rare)

EDIT: I have had girlfriends all my life starting in 9th grade, so I never saw a need for going out much anyway.

Last edited:
Well its good that you have a few examples in your town as thats further confirmation of what I'm talking about. But I dont think that means those students are going to do miserably in college. I graduated from one of the many joke high schools in our country and I ended up with a higher GPa than MD school matriculants. This wasn't from a community college or anything either. It was from a Large public state school. I'm sure there are many like me. I wont say that it was fun starting out being behind the other kids though. It became quickly apparent how much REAL education a lot of my peers had received. That being said, I've always been a big advocate of public educational reform. Because for every one of those "elite" public high schools, there are most likely (probably more) 3-4 laughable high schools.

Oh yeah, I definitely didn't mean to sound like I meant students from ****ty schools will always be failures lol. Future success is up to the STUDENT themself, not the institution. High achieving people, such as yourself, would've excelled anywhere. Likewise, top students at a top high school would've probably done equally well had they attended a backwards high school. In fact, students who quickly learn to revamp their study habits usually don't burn out as fast and are therefore in it for the long haul. I don't think that the same applies, generally, to students who have been putting in 110% effort every year since 9th grade. And yeah, the US' school system is laughable. And people wonder why companies hire so many international students o_O

Oh yeah, I definitely didn't mean to sound like I meant students from ****ty schools will always be failures lol. Future success is up to the STUDENT themself, not the institution. High achieving people, such as yourself, would've excelled anywhere. Likewise, top students at a top high school would've probably done equally well had they attended a backwards high school. In fact, students who quickly learn to revamp their study habits usually don't burn out as fast and are therefore in it for the long haul. I don't think that the same applies, generally, to students who have been putting in 110% effort every year since 9th grade. And yeah, the US' school system is laughable. And people wonder why companies hire so many international students o_O

You know, I actually have never met anyone from anywhere that thought High school was actually tough if they put in the effort. But yea, did you know that ACT scores/Regional District scores having apparently hit an all time low in the last decade according to the media? I dont know how credible that is, but they were airing news about how pitiful our Public Education system is on CNN. Usually, I'm very wary of what the media has to say, but this time I'm inclined to agree with them.

You are looking at a small percentage of public high schools. You even said "elite" high schools prior in the post you made before this one. Most public high schools and most high school students for that matter, are not in this opportunity bubble that you are describing. Especially high schools in small rural towns across the United States particularly in the Midwest and the South. Large City high schools are not all immune to this either. Many inner city high schools provide extremely poor educational opportunities as well. For each of those high schools you are describing, there are probably 3-4 high schools that provide extremely poor education. I would not be surprised if there were even more.

My high school consisted of our calculus teacher playing video games on his computer, our AP Bio class consisted of playing card games, chess and filling in coloring books, and so forth. This is just 1 High school in some random city. I've heard about much worse cases from friends in college at a large public state state school where college attendees come from across the USA. This is the state of affairs with many many high schools in low city budget areas.

I even made the case that those who did well in elite high schools can smash through elite colleges but okay. The point is simple: high schools in well to do areas provide a strong foundation for students to excel in college. As such, it directly rejects your assertion that high school is uniformly a joke to college.

I even made the case that those who did well in elite high schools can smash through elite colleges but okay. The point is simple: high schools in well to do areas provide a strong foundation for students to excel in college. As such, it directly rejects your assertion that high school is uniformly a joke to college.

I guess I can clarify right now then that I did not mean every single public high school. Regardless, my point about the majority of our public education being a joke still stands.

You know, I actually have never met anyone from anywhere that thought High school was actually tough if they put in the effort. But yea, did you know that ACT scores/Regional District scores having apparently hit an all time low in the last decade according to the media? I dont know how credible that is, but they were airing news about how pitiful our Public Education system is on CNN. Usually, I'm very wary of what the media has to say, but this time I'm inclined to agree with them.

Hm. Well I don't think that high school in general is tough if you just scrape by doing the bare minimal, striving for the avg. GPA in the nation which is about a 3.0. But if you go above and beyond to challenge yourself, which is a must if you're aiming for highly selective schools, I would say that many would call that tough. But again, this doesn't amount to high school in and of itself being tough, but the circumstances which the student chooses certainly make it tough, at least for junior and senior year.
That's so disturbing tbh. That's exactly why Trump is doing so well in the polls right now- people are fed up, and Trump is telling everyone what they want to hear. Is he being honest about being independent of third-party $$$? Does he actually have what it takes to do what he claims? Who knows. But what he's saying about wanting to make America #1 again certainly resonates with people who are tired of seeing us suck, especially in education. He's even called out Jeb Bush's implementation of Common Core dozens of times :laugh:

College is not as hard as all these people are trying to make it out to be.

The short list of how to win at college

1. Pre read chapters
2. Show up to class (being conscious preferred)
3. Re read chapter over lectured content

(Repeat until homework assigned)

4. Do homework

(Repeat until test day)

5. Take test
6. Win

It's pretty straightforward for science-y majors.

College is not as hard as all these people are trying to make it out to be.

The short list of how to win at college

1. Pre read chapters
2. Show up to class (being conscious preferred)
3. Re read chapter over lectured content

(Repeat until homework assigned)

4. Do homework

(Repeat until test day)

5. Take test
6. Win

It's pretty straightforward for science-y majors.

I mean, if you actually pre-read chapters, actually show up to class, actually re-read every chapter, then you had better do well :)

I went out pretty often in freshman/sophomore year. It was fun every once in a while, but I can't imagine going out five times a week. That's just exhausting to me. I cooled down a lot once I hit junior year, not for lack of time, but lack of interest. Now I prefer a nice glass of wine and the company of my dog and SO.

As I write this I realize I aged about forty years in a span of one summer.

EDIT: P.S. Don't do drugs stay in school don't talk to strangers look both ways before crossing the street etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.