Partying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's alright. I'm not into the girls my age anyway. I like MILFs. Hopefully this works out for me if I ever get into med school.

LOL I hope it works out for you, too. Good luck out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's alright. I'm not into the girls my age anyway. I like MILFs. Hopefully this works out for me if I ever get into med school.
That reply didn't go where I was expecting it to go..hahaha. Unexpected twist.

Reactions: 1 users
freshman year: n/a
sophomore year: two or three times total.
junior year (graduated a year early): as often as possible, after i was done with the mcat, of course

wish i discovered how to have fun earlier

Unless you go out in a college town, you have plenty of opportunities to snag some cougars if you get out there.

That reply didn't go where I was expecting it to go..hahaha. Unexpected twist.

NOT_AS_PLANNED.png%7Ec200

This thread is so weird. I imagine you kids writing "party" into your premed life schedule, e.g. "studying: 50 hrs/wk, EC's:1000 hrs/wk, partying: ~5 days/wk. Oh man, I'm living! What a world!" :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is so weird. I imagine you kids writing "party" into your premed life schedule, e.g. "studying: 50 hrs/wk, EC's:1000 hrs/wk, partying: ~5 days/wk. Oh man, I'm living! What a world!" :laugh:
"EC: 1000 hrs/wk" Reminds of what I went through when filling out the AMCAS activities section time slots. T'was a rough life and your comment actually made me LOL at 3am.

How long until OP comes back with a, "Failed my first [insert BCPM class] exam because I didn't study enough. Should I take a W?"

I'm a junior and I've been to one college "party" so 5 a week sounds excessive. Bonfire, movies, poetry slam, and bowling type stuff (allowing me to get home before 1A) probz once a month. Then again I like to sleep and my boyfriend and I are a couch couple so that's probably why my social life doesn't really exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
All these whippersnappers are on my lawn causing a ruckus, listening to their razzmatazz music

Lol, this is pretty much what it feels like reading some of the stuff that gets posted here.

How often do you pre-meds get out on a daily basis? Is going out ~5 times a week realistic as a pre-med, at least during freshman year?

Tbh I knew premeds who were party animals and hit the absurd 5+ nights a week of partying while holding good grades, but they were few and far between. I'm of the opinion that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. There's many other fun or productive things to do in college besides party if you have that much free time and money. Like use that time to get some research, take trips, or get a job to make extra cash so you can ball extra hard when you do go out (instead of spending 5 nights drinking $1 pitchers of natty light)

I've been able to balance partying with school pretty well this year with 7 APs/college apps/SAT/subject tests so I was just wondering if that could be doable in college

If you are still in highschool I highly doubt you are going out5 nights a week lol. And, AP classes are in no way indicative of how college actually is, trust me the pre-reqs are much harder. I got a 5 in AP bio with minimal effort. I literally FAILED THE SAME CLASS during my first semester of college. I was going out ~3 nights a week at that time and it was a big wake up call. Don't do that.

I know getting caught with weed isn't an app killer in and of itself, but how about harder drugs, i.e. prescription, coke, shrooms, etc?

Bad plan. And yes, getting caught with pot is a pretty effective app killer. Getting caught with prescription drugs you wouldn't even be able to get a job sweeping floors in the morgue, much less med school. I know premeds who blew their shot thanks to things like coke and xanax, and while it may sound funny now its actually really sad and these kids lives are totally f***ed. Having to take a year off to go to rehab at 19 is not a fun experience.

How often do you pre-meds get out on a daily basis? Is going out ~5 times a week realistic as a pre-med, at least during freshman year?

As as a freshman possibly, but as you get further into your education, it may be harder to go out.

Tbh I knew premeds who were party animals and hit the absurd 5+ nights a week of partying while holding good grades, but they were few and far between. I'm of the opinion that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. There's many other fun or productive things to do in college besides party if you have that much free time and money. Like use that time to get some research, take trips, or get a job to make extra cash so you can ball extra hard when you do go out (instead of spending 5 nights drinking $1 pitchers of natty light)

If you are still in highschool I highly doubt you are going out5 nights a week lol. And, AP classes are in no way indicative of how college actually is, trust me the pre-reqs are much harder. I got a 5 in AP bio with minimal effort. I literally FAILED THE SAME CLASS during my first semester of college. I was going out ~3 nights a week at that time and it was a big wake up call. Don't do that.

Bad plan. And yes, getting caught with pot is a pretty effective app killer. Getting caught with prescription drugs you wouldn't even be able to get a job sweeping floors in the morgue, much less med school. I know premeds who blew their shot thanks to things like coke and xanax, and while it may sound funny now its actually really sad and these kids lives are totally f***ed. Having to take a year off to go to rehab at 19 is not a fun experience.

Don't be so hard on her man, she's a goddess. She'll have everything handed to her on a silver-trimmed golden platter.

Step 1: Go to UCSB
Step 2: Find an apartment on Del Playa
Step 3: Your 5 days/week will become 24/7

If you consider Bay Area schools to be party schools you'll have work cut out for you down there ;)

I always feel bad for people like this because it was kinda my mindset when I was I college freshman. It wasn't til I spent some time working in a hospital that I realized how stupid and pointless all that crap is by comparison. And by that time I'd damn near wrecked my grades and reputation within my major department. I would hate for OP to make the same mistake that's so easily preventable.

to honestly answer your question, freshman-sophmore year, not much. junior/senior year I went out alot, on average like thursday-saturday, and some sort of sunday funday drinking. I had a ton more time, and i knew how to study. I stopped going to study groups because you find out that people hold you back and you can just read and absorb way faster than 6 idiots all re asking the same question before moving on. It depends on alot of different things. I had a cushy schedule with (what i considered) very easy classes.

How long until OP comes back with a, "Failed my first [insert BCPM class] exam because I didn't study enough. Should I take a W?"

you sound really bitter. not everyone has to spent 50 hours in the library for a decent grade; it's called time management.

you sound really bitter. not everyone has to spent 50 hours in the library for a decent grade; it's called time management.

While this is entirely true, it's not something you should assume you can do if you're not in college yet. College is a different beast than high school (usually).

That's funny because I spent very little time in the library and did fairly well in my classes.

While this is entirely true, it's not something you should assume you can do if you're not in college yet. College is a different beast than high school (usually).

I feel you. I'm sure college will be radically different...it just depresses me when people say that college is SOOO hard. This year, I'm taking 8 courses, 7 of which are APs. In college, most students take around 3-5 courses a semester. How could that possibly be harder than what I'm doing now?

That's funny because I spent very little time in the library and did fairly well in my classes.

Why do you have to hate then. If you can successfully balance a social life with school I don't see why you should look down on people who do the exact same.

it's not necessarily the classes that makes it difficult; for me spending time in research, work, ECs/volunteering, studying for MCAT on top of that was what made it challenging at times

Last edited:
Kids? Aren't you also a premed haha

I pledged a sorority, so going out was expected throughout my college years. The important thing is to never procrastinate with homework so you can go out. you also have to know when to stay home and be responsible. Now that I am legal, I try to go out every Thursday and at least once on the weekend. to do premed, you will need top grades, research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering and leadership. If you can fit a party or two in, that is great.
From your other thread, you also want to go into politics, so remember that foolish acts in college can last a lifetime.

It also depends on your professors. I spend a lot of time in the library, but I feel like my professors don't really teach the material, and they don't really have the time to. I don't see why I even go to class. I have to sit in the library for a long time and teach the material to myself, and that takes forever.

Wait. Is party some kind of euphemism for "go to the library until 10p?" Cause if so, I am down for some parties 5, heck, maybe 6 or 7 nights a week. Bring it!

Reactions: 7 users
I was talking to this nurse at the hospital I volunteer at, and we were talking about life in college. She explained to me that, back when she was in college, she partied a lot and had a great time. She also told me that her gpa was around a 2.7. I laughed to myself. But she is a MILF nurse........:)

And..... did you get her number?

I feel you. I'm sure college will be radically different...it just depresses me when people say that college is SOOO hard. This year, I'm taking 8 courses, 7 of which are APs. In college, most students take around 3-5 courses a semester. How could that possibly be harder than what I'm doing now?

It's not necessarily harder, but the stakes are a lot higher and you're doing more things. In my experience, AP courses are not at all equivalent to college courses. The AP curve is very generous which is not the case in college. But wait and see. Maybe it will be easier for you, maybe not. It's just not something you can assume anything about until you experience it.

Reactions: 2 users
AP courses are a joke compared to college classes. I took 8 AP classes my last semester in HS and college is much harder. Stakes are higher, classes are tougher, labs and lab reports suck, etc.

My advice to all freshman entering college...it's easier to start strong and slack off at the end then try to build your GPA up when its already low. Start your freshman year strong, then once you get the feel of college you can relax and go out more and more

The catch with college is that you need to manage your own time and your own studying. In highschool you show up for class every day and what you do there is in large part a form of studying and learning. In college showing up to class is the presentation of the information, and you then go and learn it on your own. For some this adjustment is easy, and for others it is challenging.

In my experience people who do well in highschool because they're smart and don't need to study much get clobbered in college. The people who actually struggle a little in highschool and develop strong study habits early are usually the ones that are able to hit the ground running.

Also the level of mastery expected, especially in college science courses, is much higher than in highschool. You are expected to not only understand a concept and memorize it, but to apply that knowledge to more complex questions

As as a freshman possibly, but as you get further into your education, it may be harder to go out.

I found it easier to go out as an upperclassman, especially after I turned 21.

As a premed you'll have to take closer to 5-6 a semester (though if you get AP credits for everything, that can lighten the load initially). But it's not about the number of courses - it's about the pace at which they move. A week (2-3 lectures) of college bio/chem/calc/physics covered about what you'd go through in a month in high school. And unlike high school, you don't have infinite opportunities to improve you're grade. If you bomb a test, you very well can be screwed.

Remember, it's only considered alcoholism once you graduate college.

Went out probably once every two weeks. But I was a college athlete and our season went from August-March, so I had other things to worry about. Like keeping my coach from killing me

Wait. Is party some kind of euphemism for "go to the library until 10p?" Cause if so, I am down for some parties 5, heck, maybe 6 or 7 nights a week. Bring it!
10 PM? Everyone knows the "party" doesn't really start until after 1 AM... If that's the case, I can actually say I party every day. Woo!
*sigh* :(

Status
Not open for further replies.