Pass/Fail Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you looked at CSU's virtual canine anatomy? It's free online. And in pretty darn good detail for the stuff that's hard to capture in textbooks. And it's easy. Just click on the structure and virtually all the info you need to know on it pops up.

https://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/vetneuro/VCA3/vca.html

Before amputations and major mass removals for things like mast cell tumors and soft tissue sarcomas, i still use this software to make sure I know what is where and what structures to avoid while going over the surgery ahead of time.
Yes, I use that as well! Thanks! It frustrates me when you click on something and the program thinks you clicked on the thing next to it, but other than that it's very helpful! I didn't realize they had an equine one until late in the quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow I never looked at you guy's post counts before. Pretty nice.

I always just look at people's avatars, custom titles and statuses. I think I pay attention to the latter two because it interests me what vet school people are going to and when they will graduate. And I'm also happy for them when I see their status change to veterinary student or veterinarian.

I was always curious what the differences between vet school and undergrad anatomy were. Is it like comparing big Millers to something like this?
I'd say we're learning anywhere from 25-80 structures per lecture and we have three anatomy lectures a week. When you're learning muscles, you have less structures but more info to know about them. When you learn bone features, you'll learn tons at once.

And then there's lab.... Which is easier and harder than lecture at the same time.

Anatomy is a beast... But I like it

Anatomy is a beast... But I like it

I feel the same way. Even though I've decided not to pursue vet school and no longer have a reason to know anatomy...sometimes I will still pull out my anatomy books. It's fun to see how many structures I can commit to memory in a few sessions. I've gotten fast but I doubt I'm vet student kind of fast. Still though, it's rewarding to be able to go through a bunch of numbered diagrams and be able to quickly spit out the names of all the structures :D

I know I don't know anything compared to a vet, but what I do know makes me very happy. I love knowing the names of things! And it's fun when I go to the vet because we can use anatomy terms with each other :D And if I don't know what something is, she'll tell me :D I love my vet.

Naming the crap is half the battle. Actually finding on the lump of a specimen is the other half. Doing both at the same time... bleh.

Oh, I have no doubt! I've been wanting for years to take an animal anatomy class, just to have that experience, but the opportunity has yet to arise.

The closest I've been able to get is books full of dissection photographs and that 3D virtual anatomy thing. But I'm sure it's not the same as cutting open your own cadaver and poking around lol

I say take anatomy and take it for a grade. If you take it pass/fail you will put forth half the effort because it is not for a grade and then you won't get much out of the class. In vet school, you will be taking anatomy with 7 or 8 other classes that also require a lot of studying. You might as well get used to juggling now plus everything I learned in a semester of undergrad anatomy was pretty much covered in the first 3 weeks of school FY.

Whoa! I didn't realize first years had to take anatomy with THAT MANY other classes. It seems like vet school anatomy would be tough just to take by itself.

How do you veterinary students do this? You sure you're mortal? If you say yes, I don't know if I'll believe you :p lol

Vet students = super humans whose special ability is studying lol

Whoa! I didn't realize first years had to take anatomy with THAT MANY other classes. It seems like vet school anatomy would be tough just to take by itself.

How do you veterinary students do this? You sure you're mortal? If you say yes, I don't know if I'll believe you :p lol

I have five to six classes total per quarter, but yeah, that's why everyone talks about how important it is so do something, literally anything, other than vet school because finding the time to do things like cook, laundry, exercise, talk to your non-vet school friends, etc goes out the window because you're in classes all day and you have to fit sleeping and studying in there, too. It's intense. The end. Back to my flashcards.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have five to six classes total per quarter, but yeah, that's why everyone talks about how important it is so do something, literally anything, other than vet school because finding the time to do things like cook, laundry, exercise, talk to your non-vet school friends, etc goes out the window because you're in classes all day and you have to fit sleeping and studying in there, too. It's intense. The end. Back to my flashcards.

But don't most vet students find a way to make it through that hell? Sounds pretty amazing to me.

But don't most vet students find a way to make it through that hell? Sounds pretty amazing to me.
Sure but it doesn't mean we won't complain about it ;) it is amazing. I'm happy to be in this position.

It's not amazing IMO. It sucks. Getting in and getting out are the amazing parts. The way I get through (undergrad as well) is by putting on blinders and just trucking on through. Maybe it's just me, but you lose track of what date it is, current events, everything outside of the veterinary school bubble. You just go to class, study, sleep. You try to squeeze in time for clubs, wet labs, etc (all of which are part of your veterinary school bubble). It becomes very difficult to see non-school friends, family or SO's. Heck, I'm only on noobie rotations and I didn't even realize Halloween was coming up until yesterday. I just lose track of everything but veterinary school.

I just lose track of everything but veterinary school.
This strikes me as really, really unhealthy. If you're like this only a few months into vet school, it's going to be a very long difficult four years. I know this has been beat over the head, but you really need to connect with the real world again.

This strikes me as really, really unhealthy. If you're like this only a few months into vet school, it's going to be a very long difficult four years. I know this has been beat over the head, but you really need to connect with the real world again.
I never made a huge point of reading the newspaper at any time during my life. I think it's fairly normal to lose track of time when your days are strictly scheduled, you are doing the exact same thing every day, and you just know that you need to prepare for that test in a week. A few weeks ago, one of our profs made a reference to something that was going on somewhere. It was kind of funny when all he got in response was ":lame::shrug:."

I never made a huge point of reading the newspaper at any time during my life. I think it's fairly normal to lose track of time when your days are strictly scheduled, you are doing the exact same thing every day, and you just know that you need to prepare for that test in a week. A few weeks ago, one of our profs made a reference to something that was going on somewhere. It was kind of funny when all he got in response was ":lame::shrug:."
nope. not really all that normal. Please find a hobby OUTSIDE of vet school so you don't go insane or burn out.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't think she means reading the newspaper. I think she means just putting the "vet school" aside and doing something else. Whether that is reading the newspaper, going to the movies, going bowling, whatever. Your life shouldn't be classes, study, exams, labs, wet labs, sleep, eat.... you need to fit in "real" life.

There was a lot that burnt me out first year but part of what contributed to all of the burn out was that I did exactly the above. All vet school, all the time. As soon as I said, eff this, I felt a decent amount of relief and my grades improved.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think she means reading the newspaper. I think she means just putting the "vet school" aside and doing something else. Whether that is reading the newspaper, going to the movies, going bowling, whatever. Your life shouldn't be classes, study, exams, labs, wet labs, sleep, eat.... you need to fit in "real" life.

There was a lot that burnt me out first year but part of what contributed to all of the burn out was that I did exactly the above. All vet school, all the time. As soon as I said, eff this, I felt a decent amount of relief and my grades improved.

Bingo. And I think a lot of people find when they study less and try to do non-vet-school things, their grades tend to improve. I couldn't imagine not remember Halloween because I LOVE Halloween and I still have photos of me and a classmate running around the school dressed like River Song and the Doctor. Not saying you have to like Halloween, but just that amazingly, vet school can coexist with other things.

So yeah... Talk to people who don't go to vet school. Call your parents back home. Play video games. Go for a run or a swim or a bike ride. Make a costume. Read a fiction book. Watch a movie. Colour. For the sake of your mental health, do SOMETHING not related to vet med.

Bingo. And I think a lot of people find when they study less and try to do non-vet-school things, their grades tend to improve. I couldn't imagine not remember Halloween because I LOVE Halloween and I still have photos of me and a classmate running around the school dressed like River Song and the Doctor. Not saying you have to like Halloween, but just that amazingly, vet school can coexist with other things.

So yeah... Talk to people who don't go to vet school. Call your parents back home. Play video games. Go for a run or a swim or a bike ride. Make a costume. Read a fiction book. Watch a movie. Colour. For the sake of your mental health, do SOMETHING not related to vet med.
And yet, every year, the new vet students don't believe the veteran vets on this crucial piece of advice.

And yet, every year, the new vet students don't believe the veteran vets on this crucial piece of advice.
I agree but as a first quarter vet student, it's hard to know how much time to put into vet school in order to pass. Since I've passed my first round of exams, I've been easing off a bit and enjoying life a little more. For me, going the movies and going hiking with my dog are the best ways to unwind. But when you're just starting and everything is overwhelming and exhausting, it's easy to fall into the trap where you don't balance school and regular life because you're not sure if or how you're going to pass. The "how to be a vet student" learning curve is steep.

I agree but as a first quarter vet student, it's hard to know how much time to put into vet school in order to pass. Since I've passed my first round of exams, I've been easing off a bit and enjoying life a little more. For me, going the movies and going hiking with my dog are the best ways to unwind. But when you're just starting and everything is overwhelming and exhausting, it's easy to fall into the trap where you don't balance school and regular life because you're not sure if or how you're going to pass. The "how to be a vet student" learning curve is steep.
oh for sure. We're trying to make it less steep. Every year we say it. Every year every student is like "nah, they aren't talking about me, I'm a special snowflake..."

But when you're just starting and everything is overwhelming and exhausting, it's easy to fall into the trap where you don't balance school and regular life because you're not sure if or how you're going to pass.
And we're trying to pull you out of that trap. We're not saying "ditch studying altogether". We're saying "Hey, maybe you should set aside an hour a day to go do something you want to do." Maybe you leave the hour after getting home from school for whatever you want to do. Or you don't study past x o'clock in the evenings. Or something. We're just telling you that we've all been there, and it will be okay if you cut back. We've made those mistakes, we're trying to prevent you from doing the same.

oh for sure. We're trying to make it less steep. Every year we say it. Every year every student is like "nah, they aren't talking about me, I'm a special snowflake..."
So true.
"Four hours of sleep the night before a test should do it."
"I've eaten nothing but ramen and frozen pizzas this week. Should be fine."
"I can't enjoy spending time with my SO because I'm so preoccupied with school."

I'm guilty of all of them. SDN is a great resource for bringing perspective to our noobie vet student lives. I'm a pretty laid back person and I have no residency goals but I still fell prey to vet school stresses and staying on top of it is a daily struggle that has to be figured out by every student.

And we're trying to pull you out of that trap. We're not saying "ditch studying altogether". We're saying "Hey, maybe you should set aside an hour a day to go do something you want to do." Maybe you leave the hour after getting home from school for whatever you want to do. Or you don't study past x o'clock in the evenings. Or something. We're just telling you that we've all been there, and it will be okay if you cut back. We've made those mistakes, we're trying to prevent you from doing the same.
My main mistake is that it is super difficult for me to focus sometimes (most of the time...). What could take me 2 hours can sometimes take twice as long or more. Yeah, an hour a day of netflix would be great, but not when it takes me forever to fill out a study guide just so I can use it to study.

I will say that if my SO wasn't 6 hours away, I would absolutely spend as much time with him as possible. I've already decided that I won't let residency goals or vet school in general destroy our relationship. Luckily, he understands that I'm hesitant to leave my pets in the care of someone else or drive home during my academic quarters (at least for now, until I get my feet on the ground).

My main mistake is that it is super difficult for me to focus sometimes (most of the time...). What could take me 2 hours can sometimes take twice as long or more. Yeah, an hour a day of netflix would be great, but not when it takes me forever to fill out a study guide just so I can use it to study.

I will say that if my SO wasn't 6 hours away, I would absolutely spend as much time with him as possible. I've already decided that I won't let residency goals or vet school in general destroy our relationship. Luckily, he understands that I'm hesitant to leave my pets in the care of someone else or drive home during my academic quarters (at least for now, until I get my feet on the ground).
sounds like you may have reason to see someone about focus issues

Agreed. And it's possible that over-studying is making you mentally fatigued which is compounding the focus issues. I had classmates that could study 3-4 hours in a row easily. I couldn't. Two was my max. After that, it doesn't matter how hard I tried, I could not concentrate, and any study time past that 2 hour mark was essentially wasted time.

I've been tested for several learning disorders before, never tested positive. I'm not sure if that would change now that I'm a few years older, but it's always something I've struggled with. Compounded with the fact that all three of my pets got sick within the first month of school, I was fairly distracted to a point where I'm not sure that much would have changed

I've been tested for several learning disorders before, never tested positive. I'm not sure if that would change now that I'm a few years older, but it's always something I've struggled with. Compounded with the fact that all three of my pets got sick within the first month of school, I was fairly distracted to a point where I'm not sure that much would have changed
Focus issues/ time management issues aren't necessarily learning disorders.

I can be like that (inefficient). Couple things I tried .... Studying in smaller increments. If you can focus well for 1 hr, then study for 1 hr, take a break, come back. Give yourself a smaller defined goal than "complete the study guide" - if you're taking too long to do the desired task, make the task smaller. Try changing your study location. Turn on music if it's off, turn it off if it's on. Go somewhere quiet if it's loud, loud if it's quiet. Try and change the time of day you study (I know, that one is easier said than done.)

I had to try pretty much all those things at different points.

I can be like that (inefficient). Couple things I tried .... Studying in smaller increments. If you can focus well for 1 hr, then study for 1 hr, take a break, come back. Give yourself a smaller defined goal than "complete the study guide" - if you're taking too long to do the desired task, make the task smaller. Try changing your study location. Turn on music if it's off, turn it off if it's on. Go somewhere quiet if it's loud, loud if it's quiet. Try and change the time of day you study (I know, that one is easier said than done.)

I had to try pretty much all those things at different points.

I can also be super inefficient as well, and I realized that for me, time pressure is the only thing that will ever make me efficient. So I purposefully procrastinate until i have no choice but to focus 110% and be super efficient. Then I can study 20 hrs straight and learn as much stuff as it would take me 50+ hrs under normal circumstances. Only way it will ever work for me. No matter how early I start studying and how much time I put into it, I will always finished right before the deadline. So I just learned to push back my start time to the latest I could. I studied best between 5pm and 4am. I'm literally useless between 10am and 3pm. Therefore I slept during the day and studied throughout the night.

It really is a matter of figuring out how to manipulate your habits/limitations/strengths to make things work for YOU. Kinda like saving money or going on a diet.

Reactions: 2 users
Talk to people who don't go to vet school...Play video games.

*raises hand* I'm not a vet student. I'll talk to you, pinkpuppy! You like Attack on Titan or DBZ? Do you like Smash Bros or Mario Kart? Want me to spam you with my 3D music videos? (lol) PM me :D

And it's possible that over-studying is making you mentally fatigued which is compounding the focus issues.

This is the story of my life. I love learning and think studying is awesome, but if I go after it at the expense of everything else, my focus gets so bad that I can't study at all.

I'm still figuring out the best balance for me but I am finding that taking time out for regular exercise and regular interaction with fun people has a HUGELY POSITIVE impact.

So it's like, I lose time by doing those things, but really I gain time because it makes me able to study so much more than I could have otherwise. You could think of it like an investment with a big return.

I can also be super inefficient as well, and I realized that for me, time pressure is the only thing that will ever make me efficient. So I purposefully procrastinate until i have no choice but to focus 110% and be super efficient. Then I can study 20 hrs straight and learn as much stuff as it would take me 50+ hrs under normal circumstances. Only way it will ever work for me. No matter how early I start studying and how much time I put into it, I will always finished right before the deadline. So I just learned to push back my start time to the latest I could. I studied best between 5pm and 4am. I'm literally useless between 10am and 3pm. Therefore I slept during the day and studied throughout the night.

It really is a matter of figuring out how to manipulate your habits/limitations/strengths to make things work for YOU. Kinda like saving money or going on a diet.
This is also something that needs work, lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, seriously. It's embarrassing to say that a 30 question study guide takes me the majority of one night. I find that I actually crank stuff out faster if I've got my earbuds in and am trying to cram things in between classes. When I get home, things become much more difficult.

This is also something that needs work, lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, seriously. It's embarrassing to say that a 30 question study guide takes me the majority of one night. I find that I actually crank stuff out faster if I've got my earbuds in and am trying to cram things in between classes. When I get home, things become much more difficult.

There you go - you already know how to make yourself more efficient. Work at school. If you have an hour break - use it to study instead of studying at night.

(I also did some of what MB said - procrastinate and then buckle down when there was no other option. Not sure it's the BEST technique, but I survived.)

There you go - you already know how to make yourself more efficient. Work at school. If you have an hour break - use it to study instead of studying at night.

(I also did some of what MB said - procrastinate and then buckle down when there was no other option. Not sure it's the BEST technique, but I survived.)

That was me too. Procrastinate and then get it done. I can be crazy efficient when I *have* to be. I'd study from 9 or 10pm to 3am and put everything in my brain. Sleep 4 hours. Lather, rinse, repeat. I could do that for a week straight and then I'd have to recharge with extended sleep. I wouldn't say it's good or comfortable, but it did the job.

A lot of my problem was flat out falling asleep if I was studying something I wasn't interested in. I could be well rested and well intentioned, but I'd get a few pages and then I'd want to nod off. I needed the pressure of "must read this or else" to keep me going.

Even now - out of school, I can be totally well rested and spry. Then I'll sit down to read something I don't care about and zzzzzzzz. Luckily I know my cure for insomnia. I'll just pull out some of my old vet school books.

I know other people are the total opposite and study in advance, they would never do an overnighter. Whatever works for you.

I am pretty sure our special ability is to take a relentless beating (jk). I am definitely stressed (way MORE than first year) and I think second year has been extremely taxing on so many fronts compared to FY even though 2nd year I am taking 7 classes compared 9 classes FY. I find that second year of vet school (thus far) is root memorization. If you can memorize obscene amounts of information quickly, then I guess you have the potential to do alright. On Saturday I slept for close to 18 hours due to being so tired from staying up late and studying these past couple of months. I try to do things outside of vet school, but it is hard because the thought "I should/could be studying always enters your mind..." I have heard some people getting rid of facebook, so when they want to take a break it actually involves them getting up, not just merely staying at the computer. I do lose track of time when I am in school and really have no concept of what is going on outside of school... some may suggest that is unhealthy, but I don't own a TV (and that is def. a large source news). I have had numerous friends in medical school and the same thing happened once they started school, you rarely heard from them for 3 -4 months at a time.

I, as well, pretty much put on the blinders and hunker down for the **** storm that ensues for 4 months. Vet school is doable, it is just hard and stressful. The failure rates are not that high, we only lost 1 or 2 to failing grades, the other classmates left because vet school was not for them or a medical reason.

I will say that even first semester of 2nd year is considered to be one of the most challenging, it is my favorite thus far. I am really finding that the material is very applicable and I am starting to get most of the practice NAVLE questions right because I actually know the answer vs. just guessing. (I had to add something positive in the end, so my whole post didn't seem like a downer).

I am pretty sure our special ability is to take a relentless beating (jk). I am definitely stressed (way MORE than first year) and I think second year has been extremely taxing on so many fronts compared to FY even though 2nd year I am taking 7 classes compared 9 classes FY. I find that second year of vet school (thus far) is root memorization. If you can memorize obscene amounts of information quickly, then I guess you have the potential to do alright. On Saturday I slept for close to 18 hours due to being so tired from staying up late and studying these past couple of months. I try to do things outside of vet school, but it is hard because the thought "I should/could be studying always enters your mind..." I have heard some people getting rid of facebook, so when they want to take a break it actually involves them getting up, not just merely staying at the computer. I do lose track of time when I am in school and really have no concept of what is going on outside of school... some may suggest that is unhealthy, but I don't own a TV (and that is def. a large source news). I have had numerous friends in medical school and the same thing happened once they started school, you rarely heard from them for 3 -4 months at a time.

I, as well, pretty much put on the blinders and hunker down for the **** storm that ensues for 4 months. Vet school is doable, it is just hard and stressful. The failure rates are not that high, we only lost 1 or 2 to failing grades, the other classmates left because vet school was not for them or a medical reason.

I will say that even first semester of 2nd year is considered to be one of the most challenging, it is my favorite thus far. I am really finding that the material is very applicable and I am starting to get most of the practice NAVLE questions right because I actually know the answer vs. just guessing. (I had to add something positive in the end, so my whole post didn't seem like a downer).

That's great that despite how tough things are, you were still able to look at the bright side! A positive yet realistic attitude is powerful!

And I'm glad that you're able to get a little enjoyment out of vet school!

That's great that despite how tough things are, you were still able to look at the bright side! A positive yet realistic attitude is powerful!

And I'm glad that you're able to get a little enjoyment out of vet school!

:thumbup: