PASSED AUG 2018 NAPLEX--ADVICE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacodynamic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers

I have been using SDN for the longest time since pre-pharmacy (7 years ago) I wanted to give advice to anyone that will be taking the NAPLEX.

Honestly, everyone says this and I AM going to say this again, you cannot be as prepared no matter how much you studied. I used RXprep, tl;dr pharmacy blog, and Minimalist blog.

I honestly focused on CALCULATIONS, BIOSTATS, COMPOUNDING, BRAND/GENERIC HIV, SIDE EFFECTS for ONCOLOGY. The other topics I would just read and know brand generic(easy free points on the exam--TOP 300) and what line of therapy it is used for and also if its an alternative therapy. I would also focus on Labs/Monitoring chapter(know the underline/bolded).

There will be questions that you will not know and probably not even mentioned in the RXprep book, and I assumed those are the experimental questions.

I took the pre-naplex 3 months before the actually NAPLEX made a 48, then I studied on/off for the next 2 months. 3 weeks prior to my NAPLEX, I studied 6-7 hours a day. A week prior to my NAPLEX I decided to take my pre-naplex again and I made a 76. I knew that was a passing score, but I also heard that your NAPLEX can be 10 points + or - from that. So I amped up my studying and made sure I knew the "CORE 5 subjects" like the back of my hand and then reviewed at least other 3-4 disease states a day (just knowing drug therapy and the important underlined words in the RXprep book. The day before my NAPLEX, I just reviewed random topics and did a math quiz from RXprep made a 90% on the math quiz. (side note: I had the RXprep questions bank, did not do about 30 of the chapters quizzes only did important ones or ones I felt that might be my weakness).

I took my NAPLEX on Friday in the morning, make sure you don't chug coffee like I did, you will have the urge to pee so many times (LOL) but USE YOUR breaks and take a snack and water to place in your locker. I took my breaks and I would eat my snack and take deep breathes to calm myself.

During the exam, I swear I thought I was answering every other question wrong. Also if I didn't know an answer I would just guess to the best of my ability and move on and spend time on a questions that I might know. I utilized the highlight and cross-out function to make sure I can narrow down my answer choices. I had about 4 mins left at the end of my exam. When the test was over, I felt HORRIBLE, I was like ugh what did I study, why didn't I study hardcore from the first pre-naplex.

Post NAPLEX-- worst thing is to take the exam on a Friday, you have to wait during the weekend and then beginning of the week to get your score. I would constantly check my score and also would constantly read SDN posts on early indicators etc. My registration was still active but I had the option to purchase the score transfer (early indicator you passed). So I didn't know what that meant, I would check NABP every hour. My friends that took their NAPLEX on previous fridays said they got their score on Tuesday. So on Tuesday I checked every hour, NOTHING. Then Wednesday came along I checked every hours starting from 8amEST. Around 12:21pm, I decided to check early, AND BAM there it was! I PASSED with a 92! I seriously thought I answered about 60% of the questions wrong. All I can say is pray, pray and pray after you exam, I think God really helped me get through the anxiety.

I HOPE EVERYONE LUCK! You guys will do awesome, a little advice my supervisor gave me "if you paid attention to at least 75% of the material from your 4 years of pharmacy school, you should be fine" I believe everyone can pass, just honestly if you go through the RXprep book and know the underline and bolded stuff. YOU will pass!

Here are the names to the blogs I used: I read these blogs when I wanted to just lay around and be lazy etc

(if you google them they should pop up)

Medium : minimalist pharmacist
tldrpharmacy

:) Good luck! message me if you have any further questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Hello SDNers

I have been using SDN for the longest time since pre-pharmacy (7 years ago) I wanted to give advice to anyone that will be taking the NAPLEX.

Honestly, everyone says this and I AM going to say this again, you cannot be as prepared no matter how much you studied. I used RXprep, tl;dr pharmacy blog, and Minimalist blog.

I honestly focused on CALCULATIONS, BIOSTATS, COMPOUNDING, BRAND/GENERIC HIV, SIDE EFFECTS for ONCOLOGY. The other topics I would just read and know brand generic(easy free points on the exam--TOP 300) and what line of therapy it is used for and also if its an alternative therapy. I would also focus on Labs/Monitoring chapter(know the underline/bolded).

There will be questions that you will not know and probably not even mentioned in the RXprep book, and I assumed those are the experimental questions.

I took the pre-naplex 3 months before the actually NAPLEX made a 48, then I studied on/off for the next 2 months. 3 weeks prior to my NAPLEX, I studied 6-7 hours a day. A week prior to my NAPLEX I decided to take my pre-naplex again and I made a 76. I knew that was a passing score, but I also heard that your NAPLEX can be 10 points + or - from that. So I amped up my studying and made sure I knew the "CORE 5 subjects" like the back of my hand and then reviewed at least other 3-4 disease states a day (just knowing drug therapy and the important underlined words in the RXprep book. The day before my NAPLEX, I just reviewed random topics and did a math quiz from RXprep made a 90% on the math quiz. (side note: I had the RXprep questions bank, did not do about 30 of the chapters quizzes only did important ones or ones I felt that might be my weakness).

I took my NAPLEX on Friday in the morning, make sure you don't chug coffee like I did, you will have the urge to pee so many times (LOL) but USE YOUR breaks and take a snack and water to place in your locker. I took my breaks and I would eat my snack and take deep breathes to calm myself.

During the exam, I swear I thought I was answering every other question wrong. Also if I didn't know an answer I would just guess to the best of my ability and move on and spend time on a questions that I might know. I utilized the highlight and cross-out function to make sure I can narrow down my answer choices. I had about 4 mins left at the end of my exam. When the test was over, I felt HORRIBLE, I was like ugh what did I study, why didn't I study hardcore from the first pre-naplex.

Post NAPLEX-- worst thing is to take the exam on a Friday, you have to wait during the weekend and then beginning of the week to get your score. I would constantly check my score and also would constantly read SDN posts on early indicators etc. My registration was still active but I had the option to purchase the score transfer (early indicator you passed). So I didn't know what that meant, I would check NABP every hour. My friends that took their NAPLEX on previous fridays said they got their score on Tuesday. So on Tuesday I checked every hour, NOTHING. Then Wednesday came along I checked every hours starting from 8amEST. Around 12:21pm, I decided to check early, AND BAM there it was! I PASSED with a 92! I seriously thought I answered about 60% of the questions wrong. All I can say is pray, pray and pray after you exam, I think God really helped me get through the anxiety.

I HOPE EVERYONE LUCK! You guys will do awesome, a little advice my supervisor gave me "if you paid attention to at least 75% of the material from your 4 years of pharmacy school, you should be fine" I believe everyone can pass, just honestly if you go through the RXprep book and know the underline and bolded stuff. YOU will pass!

Here are the names to the blogs I used: I read these blogs when I wanted to just lay around and be lazy etc

tldrpharmacy

Thanks for sharing! Did you feel rushed? Did the math problems take longer to do?

Thanks for sharing! Did you feel rushed? Did the math problems take longer to do?

I think I felt rushed at the beginning because all my nerves were hitting me at once and my first question I was scratching my head for a good 5 mins. SO BEST advice I gave myself during the test is, if you don't know it in the next 45-60 seconds guess to your BEST ability and move on, so you have time for other questions like the math questions. Honestly the math was similar to the RXprep, patient case based and just have to look at the patient's profile lab values etc. I think RXprep helped a lot with making me faster at math. I would do math everyday, when I was studying hardcore I would do 1 math quiz at the beginning of my study session and 1 at the end of my study session. I had 90% and above on those quizzes, I think that should be your goal! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDNers

tldrpharmacy

You were exactly right! I literally leaned on your message for support during my 3 day wait for my NAPLEX score. I felt exactly how you did after the test...I felt like I had guessed on way more than I should have. I ended up with a 93! So thankful for posts like yours that helped me keep calm after the test. My test had easy math..CrCl, BMI, BSA and tons of ratio and proportions. Not much Biostats, but SOOO many lab value questions. Thanks, again!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You were exactly right! I literally leaned on your message for support during my 3 day wait for my NAPLEX score. I felt exactly how you did after the test...I felt like I had guessed on way more than I should have. I ended up with a 93! So thankful for posts like yours that helped me keep calm after the test. My test had easy math..CrCl, BMI, BSA and tons of ratio and proportions. Not much Biostats, but SOOO many lab value questions. Thanks, again!!! :)

Yayyy! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :))) thank you!! So happy for you!! :) I am currently studying for my MPJE. Stressed haha! Ready for this hurdle to be over! Good luck to you if you are taking your MPJE!! :))

I have my NAPLEX scheduled in 2weeks. Scared as heck coz I know I won't be able to finish reading all chapters in RxPrep. Any advice would be soooo appreciated. I've got most of the math down but struggling with disease states

I have my NAPLEX scheduled in 2weeks. Scared as heck coz I know I won't be able to finish reading all chapters in RxPrep. Any advice would be soooo appreciated. I've got most of the math down but struggling with disease states

So make sure you know brand and generic and combos for HIV, Oncology side effect treatment(ChemoMan), ID 2,3,4 (1st lines) for all the other disease states I literally would just write down what medications would be used as 1st line and anything significant side effects. :)

Also if google “tahhurs naplex review” there should be forums with notes from 2016 that I used to look at to just review main concepts. You can make your own notes on it. I would highly recommend going through all common disease states and knowing those (HTN, DM, asthma, COPD, Psych etc) and like disease states like cystic fibrosis just know the steps on therapy and what causes the disease(basic- don’t go patho on it), Gout- acute RX(know alternative tx from 1st line). Like those basic questions you were asked during therapetic exams. (Easy points)

Compounding (sterile and non-sterile) know garbing, ISO, excipients (non-sterile) etc basic!

I would recommend doing the drug reference chapter too! Easy points on the exam!

I think you will be fine! 2 weeks is good time, just grind it out. Turn off your phone and social media and get some coffee and GO! :)

Trust me you know more than you think! :)

Reactions: 3 users

Also don’t forget to practice math everyday, just so you have practice :)

Reactions: 1 users
So make sure you know brand and generic and combos for HIV, Oncology side effect treatment(ChemoMan), ID 2,3,4 (1st lines) for all the other disease states I literally would just write down what medications would be used as 1st line and anything significant side effects. :)

Also if google “tahhurs naplex review” there should be forums with notes from 2016 that I used to look at to just review main concepts. You can make your own notes on it. I would highly recommend going through all common disease states and knowing those (HTN, DM, asthma, COPD, Psych etc) and like disease states like cystic fibrosis just know the steps on therapy and what causes the disease(basic- don’t go patho on it), Gout- acute RX(know alternative tx from 1st line). Like those basic questions you were asked during therapetic exams. (Easy points)

Compounding (sterile and non-sterile) know garbing, ISO, excipients (non-sterile) etc basic!

I would recommend doing the drug reference chapter too! Easy points on the exam!

I think you will be fine! 2 weeks is good time, just grind it out. Turn off your phone and social media and get some coffee and GO! :)

Trust me you know more than you think! :)
THANKS!!!

congrats on passing NAPLEX
i need your advice to please : i am a foreign rph graduated 5 years ago . I started working as pharmacy tech in US 3 years ago and started working at the same time on passing my equivalency tests. But, honestly ,I forgot everything about what i studied and barely remember which med belong to which class . I am studying for NAPLEX now and i feel lost . I feel I started pharmacy school all over again and i do not have a single clue how to study. I have rx prep 2016 do you think it is different from 2018 or 2017 edition ?? do i need other books ??

I failed Naplex with 72. Does anyone have by chance Pass Naplex Now question bank to sell it to me on a lower price or to share it with me? I cannot affoard 950$ now. I did Rxprep the book and test bank many times, i do calc 84-96% from Rxprep, I did 120 calc from SDN, i need new calc problems to challenge me. Rxprep calc are too easy now, i already know what they ask and the answers.
My experience was the opposite of what i read here: the exam was doable and i really felt confident i’ll Pass, i knew a lot of them, biostat was easy this time,i really don’t know why i fail. I cried 3 days after i saw my score. I am already an European pharmacist, but i struggle to pass Naplex.
Again, I’m looking to share Pass Naplex Now subscription with someone or to buy it on a lower price.
I need to regain my dignity and i need to be who i was before i came to US - a HAPPY RESPECTABLE PHARMACIST!
Thank you for reading my post and i hope ill find somebody who will resonate with me! Best of luck for all test takers!

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope you find the PNN subscription! If you need any other study material please don't hesitate to ask! Also if you get a chance to look at the the Tahhurs notes. Here is a link:

Here are my notes for Naplex 2016. I wish someone had done this for me. Please, I strongly recommend everyone make their own notes and follow the same steps I followed. I take no resposibility for anyones results from studing my notes. Please STUDY HARD!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9neupfxzzt2ejz/Tahhurs Naplex Review 2016.pdf?dl=0

Good luck!!!

congrats on passing NAPLEX
i need your advice to please : i am a foreign rph graduated 5 years ago . I started working as pharmacy tech in US 3 years ago and started working at the same time on passing my equivalency tests. But, honestly ,I forgot everything about what i studied and barely remember which med belong to which class . I am studying for NAPLEX now and i feel lost . I feel I started pharmacy school all over again and i do not have a single clue how to study. I have rx prep 2016 do you think it is different from 2018 or 2017 edition ?? do i need other books ??

I know that when I saw my boyfriends book which was 2017 from my book it was a little different but not much. Here is a link to a forum I used too if I didn't want to study from RxPrep at times:

Hi guys, I just wanted to share my experience with the NAPLEX in 2018.

I passed using only free resources. Here are my thoughts.

Overall impressions of the exam, very comprehensive. You literally have to have a very broad knowledge base. When it comes to specific topics, nothing stood out because I had a little bit of everything.

The questions were not so much clinical in nature (which is the primary focus of many US PharmD programs including mine) but more so safety, labs, interactions, and a good amount of calculations.

Now, I have to admit going into the exam, I was clueless and had no idea how to prepare. I got a free 2016 RxPrep book from a friend and the book was so overwhelming. It looked thick and I didn't really feel like reading it all to be honest. So I looked at other options and scoured the internet to find resources I could use. The RxPrep question bank was highly recommended but I didn't have the money to pay for it so I kept looking.

Finally, after searching far and few in between, I found three free resources that I used exclusively to help me pass my exam.

1. RxPrep NAPLEX Facebook Group
2. TLDR Pharmacy Blog
3. Minimalist Pharmacist Blog

RxPrep Facebook Group
The Rxprep facebook group is filled with study guides, questions posted by people studying, and is a bit of a support group for those who have passed and failed the NAPLEX. It's definitely a great community to be a part of. I like that people are very responsive, if you have any questions, they are willing to answer and give feedback. They provide a lot of advice and is a great place to start when studying. What I don't like about the group, however, is that it is really more for the foreign pharmacists who need more preparation and support. They recommend months of studying (which is not true for a US PharmD grad) and the overall feel is that you need to study your life away in order to pass. The point I want to make is that this group may not be the best place to "brush up" on what you need in order to be prepared as a US Grad.

The next two blogs are written by board certified US based PharmD grads (I think there's two in TLDR and one in Minimalist Pharmacist) and I have to say that both of these blogs were totally game changers for me.

The TLDR Blog
This blog is amazing! They do an excellent job of providing detailed but relatable and easy to understand blog posts for some of the major topics needed for the naplex. They provide study charts (which you do have to buy at around $4) but the bulk of the information is free to use if you take the time to read through all their posts. I especially like the ID, HIV, and Oncology posts they have which totally was easy to read through, review, and I felt comfortable enough to just use this material for the NAPLEX which was more than enough. Highly recommend!

Minimalist Pharmacist
This is a very unique blog. The concept the blogger wanted to go with is to provide minimalist style blog posts that cover short and succinct material efficiently and minimally. The blog posts are no more than 5-10 minutes reads, they are interesting, engaging, very simple and quite easy to comprehend. The style and design is quite pleasing and overall feel of the blog makes it less a bore to read and more interesting in my opinion. This is pretty new but I think I got more out this blog that any other sources of of material because of how relatable the blogger is. There are also some interesting personal posts, clinical pharmacy related posts, and pharmaceutical industry post. I think the blogger is also an MBA with experience in hospital and industry, not quite sure.

How I Passed NAPLEX.
In total, I skimmed through the old (2016) and sometimes outdated RxPrep book in addition to looking at the study guide in the facebook group for about 7 days and had enough of it.
Then I looked at all of TLDR's post, which took about 3 days. Then lastly, I powered through all of the Minimalist Pharmacist's post for the next 4 days. I did math problems from the 120 here on SDN in between looking through all three sources and took the NAPLEX a 2 days later. No Pre-Naplex, No Practice Exams, No Test bank, nothing other than the three and I --> Passed with no problems.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. Good luck guys!

Hope this helps a little.

I know that when I saw my boyfriends book which was 2017 from my book it was a little different but not much. Here is a link to a forum I used too if I didn't want to study from RxPrep at times:

Hope this helps a little.

i sure appreciate your help

i wanna study for it to take it in the next 6 months but with working 37+ hours i fell it is impossible

i sure appreciate your help

i wanna study for it to take it in the next 6 months but with working 37+ hours i fell it is impossible

I think you can do it! Just try to study everyday, and do math everyday! :) Let me link another forum that might be helpful too: I really this person's forum, they did an awesome job at explaining long term studying etc. Hope this helps!

Hi everyone,

I took my NAPLEX last week and just got an email that I passed with a score of 100 on my first attempt :clap: I've always turned to SDN throughout my pharmacy education, so I wanted to share my experience & tips for studying.

A little bit about myself: I graduated in May 2017, traveled internationally for 6 months, came back to the US in November & that's when I began studying for NAPLEX (~4 months) & MPJE (~5 days). My GPA was ~3.4 with mostly Bs and B+... no, I wasn't the brightest child in my class:wacky: I was good at math so I felt pretty confident with calculations before I began studying. Biostats- I forgot everything from school so I basically had to relearn everything. Other clinical chapters- no foundation, forgot almost everything so I had to re-learn them also:wacky:

Materials I used:
  • 2017 RxPrep book & question banks that my school provided (no lectures).
    [*]2 sets of Pre-Naplex from NABP website.

How I studied :

• First, PRAY. Guys, PRAY. Everyone who failed (those that I know) had major anxiety attacks before & during the exams. I even saw one of Rho Chi student fail naplex on her first attempt due to anxiety. Try to calm yourself. At the end of the day, you'll pass. Praying & relying on God definitely helped me to stay strong whenever I felt overwhelmed. Remember, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26 .
      [*]Second, re-organize and categorize Rxprep chapters into disease states or organs. Here's how I divided:
  1. CORE: Calculations, PK, Biostats, Compounding, Drug References, Immunizations,
  2. ID: Infectious Diseases I-IV, Oncology, HIV, Cystic Fibrosis
  3. Anticoag/CVD: Ischemic Heart Disease, Acute coronary syndrome, Chronic Heart Failure, Arrhythmia, Anticoagulations, etc
  4. Ambulatory Care: Diabetes, HTN, Dyslipidemia, etc
  5. Auto-Immune/Steroids: Thyroid, Steroid/autoimmune, Transplant, Gout, etc
  6. Psych/Brain: Bipolar, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, ADHD, Depression, Sleep, etc
  7. Kidney: Renal Diseases, Critical Care, Anemia, Sickle, etc
  8. Lung: COPD, Asthma, Tobacco Cessation, etc
  9. Others: Peds, Preg, Drug formulations, Osteoporosis, BPH, Labs, IV, Migraine, GI chapters (GERD, IBD, Constipation), sexual dysfunction, etc.

• Where to start:
      1. Study & master "CORE" category chapters from above first (Calculations, PK, Biostats, Compounding, Drug References, Immunizations). No matter what version of exam you'll get, these core chapters will be on your exam 100% like many other SDNers said. You need to know these chapters like back of your hand. I used 2017 version of Rxprep and I found Calculations, Immunizations, PK and biostats to be very helpful. However, Drug references & Compounding sections were not so good. .
        [*]After mastering CORE chapters, try to study 1 section per week. Of course, you won't remember everything when you study first. But just continue. Try to retain underlined/bolded informations from the book. For important chapters like ID & Anticoag, I read like 5-6 times to make sure I know the materials. Some chapters like liver/hepatitis, OAB, BPH, etc I only skimmed through them once. .
        [*]4 weeks before naplex, I took Rxprep's 150Q pre-naplex and got 60%. About 2 weeks before the exam, I took NABP's Pre-naplex and got 73:wacky: 1 week before, I took the second pre-naplex and got 78% :wacky:... honestly, I thought the actual Naplex was much doable than the prenaplex. .
        [*]2-3 days before Naplex, I redid all Calculations & PK problems, re-read ID I-IV chapters, all CVD/anticoag chapters, psych/brain chapters, thyroid &steroid chapters. On the day of the exam, I briefly went over conversions & formulas again, grabbed coffee & a sandwich and got to Pearsonvue an hour before exam..

[*]During the exam
      1. I re-checked all math problems 2-3 times. I requested a hand-held calculator but ended up not using it. Practice using on-screen calculator.
      2. I kind of ran out of time when I had about 10 questions left, so I had to guess answers at the end:confused: You don't want this to happen.. When you don't know an answer to a clinical question, just make a best educated guess and move on.
      3. Take both of your breaks! I got my first break 2 hours in to the exam, and the second one 4.5 hours into the exam.
      4. Be hydrated & eat good breakfast. Drink, eat and use bathroom during breaks.
I hope my tips will help. Again, pray and study hard. If I can pass, you can definitely pass. I'll be happy to answer any question you have:)

Has anyone who took naplex early/mid Aug receive official naplex score in the mail yet? Still waiting on mine and seems like no word :(

Has anyone who took naplex early/mid Aug receive official naplex score in the mail yet? Still waiting on mine and seems like no word :(
:( Took mine 8/8 and still no letter yet here. I thought the naplex letter would take only 2-3 weeks so it's been quite frustrating