Passed USMLE Step 2 CS but should have done things differently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vjqif

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all readers. I had a great pleasure to learn from other people experiences and would like to return with my own story regarding the preparation for a CS exam. I reserved 4 months between Step 2 CK and CS exams. I was able to go over First Aid casebook twice and Dr.Sherazi’s notes once thoroughly and once quickly just a day before the exam. I did not have a study partner. I have a full time job. I was able to squeeze in the studies before and after work and before going to sleep.

A week before the exam I ran one case over with a friend of mine (a case of HTN management from FA book) just to get confident. I was not able to memorize any of mnemonics in the former except (SAFE GARDS, DEATH SHAFT, FEVERCUDSAD and THENFRCSPUBSADID along with PAMHFOSS and PAMIFBIGDEAL).

Chicago notes (Sherazi’s) and FA casebook are complementary. Chicago notes present with an opportunity to develop your own pattern if you have time to practice more. FA case book helped me learn how to type the patient notes. I timed myself with FA’s cases than typed them on a patient note window. Then re-typed as they were presented in the book (50 cases times 2 times 2 = 400 times). This engraves the template in your memory. Keyboard type does not matter but a regular one with sculpted keys helps achieve good speed.

I did not have a study partner. The first encounter is shocking. However, you can always fall back to THENFRCSPUBSAD to get back on your feet. Just survive the first 3 cases, get on a break for 10 minutes, catch a breath and sip coffee. You regain the confidence, awareness as the cases go by, and after the last break you just want to get it done and be out.

If you were able to over all cases in FA book in allocated time (15 minutes for encounter and 10 minutes for typing a patient note) you should be OK with time management.

I've got my results today. CIS and ICE cross borderline area. SEP is no problem.

Here are things I should have done differently. I should have taken the exam earlier (at least 2 days earlier and not on July 17 and not in Philadelphia). I should have taken a commercial course and simulation exams. The reality hits you as an 18 wheeler truck. Simulations should have taken care of that. I should have practiced with a partner and not an imaginative one. I should not have been an old grad with 15 years away from clinical practice... Just kidding. Life is good but I felt I was flying under the seat of my pants.
All the best,
x

Members don't see this ad.

That is great , congratulation
I did mine yesterday ,
I need your help , I am IMG , first of all I was sleeping just view hours the day before exam and my Exam was Afternoon time to 10 pm
Anyway , since my test I felt brain block , I just can remember 10 cases , I forget 2 , I don't know if I did well or bad in exam but All I remember is that:
Mistakes:
1-SP do some head movement in one counter many times ,I didn't ask him why .
2- I forget MMS exam in patient with head trauma ( I did all other neurological examination)
3- five cases I felt my first differential D is ok but I wrote other DD that I feel not accurate .
4- The work up in 3 cases with special exam (like pelvic , rectal ) I wrote it as 3rd diagnostic work up instead of first .
5- I forget to ask pt who is 17 yo about immunization status .
6- some cases I didn't ask the SP other associated symptoms .but I clearly know the diagnosis. I was supposed to review that symptoms.
6- I found 2 SP sitting on chair , I asked while I am standing So difficulty eye contact , also I didn't cover them on the examination.
7- after I did the closure , I remember some Symptoms in 3 cases then I asked the SP.
8 -I was totally exhausted in last 3 cases that affect my confident and speech .
9- I think the SP recognize my fatigue because I was yawning
10-I felt my language has a lot of frequent stoping for thinking , then I talk.

The good things:
1- Knock the door in all encounter.
2- introduces self and clarify role .
3- ask the SP if he feel comfortable .
4- ask the SP how w'd like to be addressed .
- keep good eye contact .
- very good empathy
- try my best in answering the challenging Q.
5- I did good HPI , ROS , PAM HITS FOSS in all cases( Female I did for all of them LMP RTV CS PAP)
All heavy drinker ,I asked them CAGE.
6- I did summarization , transition, paraphrase ,Open Q in all cases.
6- I wash my hand before all examination
I did good physical exam for all Cases gentle , Ask consent , exposure , then thanks the SP .
7- I did closure for all cases , then ask did you understand me , are you agree on my plan, do you have any Question , do you have any concern .
8- I did counseling in all cases.
9- I thank the pt then leave the room.
10- I wrote the notes very well .
What is the percent that I will pass, please !!

Reactions: 1 user
This is the only exam I had no feeling 'pass' or 'no pass'. However, pre-test probability that you pass is 80%. 'Pre-test' is in the context of Bayesian.
I believe that if you follow the typical learning plan (e.g., going through First Aid), then you should pass.
I believe that many IMGs who passed wondered at some point if they failed the exam or passed.
From what I have read at SDN, overconfident folks sometimes fail if attempt to pass without preparation.
Please, suppress your thoughts and live, study, have fun, apply to residencies, get USCE, reconnect with friends.
Remember, 80% of IMGs do pass, and the rest pass eventually. It is just a step and not the wall.