Past DUI (2016) and residency (2023)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Premed559

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been digging around and have found different answers online but my situation is this: I was convicted of a DUI in 2016 but was able to get into medical school regardless. I will be starting in Fall of 2019. I plan to have my record expunged next month and hope to one day practice in CA.


I was wondering even if I get it expunged will this affect my chances of matching into a residency program in the future? Will it affect my ability to obtain a medical license?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The medical school took you in after knowing your DUI status. Keep you nose clean. Do well in school and you should match. Who knows if it will really impact your chances for a specific residency that you would be competitive for , considering there will be significant distance in terms of time for you.

My suspicion is that certain programs may choose to look over you, and others may look past your past.