Past medical student considering returning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavoirFaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

To give an overview of my situation, I attended VCOM as a DO student from 2012-2013 and ended up withdrawing due to an arrhythmia of unknown origin and various personal reasons. I was very shaken by it and it has taken several years to find answers to questions I had then. I have had an ablation and I consider the health issues I have to be treated and under control. When I was withdrawing they were asking me if I had an ablation yet but it ended up taking years of going on and off of beta blockers and calcium channel blockers before I met the electrophysiologist who did the ablation.

I have been working as a database developer for 5 years but lately have reconsidered returning to finish what I started. I called VCOM and according to COCA's accreditation standards returning students (like those in my situation) have to return within 2 years. There was no way I was ready to return then.

Do you have any advice for returning after withdrawing? I took the MCAT in 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

To give an overview of my situation, I attended VCOM as a DO student from 2012-2013 and ended up withdrawing due to an arrhythmia of unknown origin and various personal reasons. I was very shaken by it and it has taken several years to find answers to questions I had then. I have had an ablation and I consider the health issues I have to be treated and under control. When I was withdrawing they were asking me if I had an ablation yet but it ended up taking years of going on and off of beta blockers and calcium channel blockers before I met the electrophysiologist who did the ablation.

I have been working as a database developer for 5 years but lately have reconsidered returning to finish what I started. I called VCOM and according to COCA's accreditation standards returning students (like those in my situation) have to return within 2 years. There was no way I was ready to return then.

Do you have any advice for returning after withdrawing? I took the MCAT in 2010.

Very unique situation, and adcoms and faculty will most likely be able to offer some transparency.

Did VCOM say anything about giving you preference if you reapplied with a new MCAT? Biggest concern here is that you’ve been out for a while and might need to demonstrate you can still take upper level science courses.

Another concern is checking that box on the app that asks if you’ve matriculated to a medical school in the past, if you were to go through the process again. Best of luck!

Very unique situation, and adcoms and faculty will most likely be able to offer some transparency.

Did VCOM say anything about giving you preference if you reapplied with a new MCAT? Biggest concern here is that you’ve been out for a while and might need to demonstrate you can still take upper level science courses.

Another concern is checking that box on the app that asks if you’ve matriculated to a medical school in the past, if you were to go through the process again. Best of luck!

Thanks. I didn't ask about re-applying to VCOM with a new MCAT. I only asked about returning directly. I assume likely all schools will require a new MCAT score at this point.

Hi all,

I think that it might be worth getting in some more clinical exposure just to demonstrate that you desire to be around patients hasn't changed, Don't know about the expiration dates on your pre-reqs, so contact schools to determine this. Also, you'll probably need to get new LORs.

A candidate in your situation is one who has the best chance of returning to med school. Good luck, and do keep in touch with us!
Chances will also be best with VCOM. Call them first!

Reactions: 1 user