PAT Cube counting question: cubes connected diagonally not allowed? (Picture inclueded)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabe1122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the cube in question is indicated by the arrow in the picture. How is it possible for me to assume that there is a cube there with two sides exposed here? It is not offering any other support to any of the other cubes, so I assumed it was just an empty space.

I could not find any rules stating that cubes couldn't be connected diagonally. Does someone know if this is true or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Cube counting.jpg
    Cube counting.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 122
I noticed this on another question on CrackDAT PAT, and it's one of the reasons I stopped using it for cube counting. I don't think this is allowed, because how the hell are we supposed to assume it's there? If there were other blocks on top of it, that's one thing, but there is literally no way for us to tell.

I saw one very similar to this on CDP where the diagonal was NOT counted. A little consistency would be nice. Are we to assume there's a gap space between the cubes? As in, aren't all the cubes supposed to be touching?

That is actually very tricky. We have to assume that there is a cube behind there because it is a rule that the cubes must be connected face to face and not diagonally.

Members don't see this ad :)
CDP always had some really weird optical illusions on their cube counting questions that always bothered me a little bit, especially since you will never see anything remotely like it on the real DAT.

All the cubes on the bottom layer must be connected by their faces, not their vertices. Otherwise it's a discontinuous structure. You won't find a bunch of a illusions on the real DAT, I think cube counting is the easiest section once you understand the rules.