PAT: tfe hint questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sw1sschez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read some tips on how to do the TFE and I am not really sure what this guy meant. Can you guys explain it to me?

.Given the End and Top views, you look for the Front view. Scan your eyes across the screen to count how many lines you will get and look for the difference between lines that will appear solid or dotted. Remember lines that are running parallel will only show as one line in the Front View.

I don't get the parallel line part. What is he talking about them merging as 1 line?

When they give you the Front View and End View and they are asking for the Top View. Again I try to go with just one view to find the answer. Using the Front View you will be able to see how many dotted and solid lines you will get in the Top View. Usually this will be enough to find the answer. Again, Scan your eyes downward to determine how many lines you will have anything on top will make a solid line and anything "inside" the figure will make a dotted line. Any lines that are above/below each other will make just one line.

I don't get this combining of lines things again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the easiest way to go about it is how it's meant to be done... visualizing the 3d structure in your head. Some people are just naturally better at it than others, but if you practice, I see no reason why you can't become proficient at it.

"tricks" like line counting are meant to give you an average score... just like anything, if you want to do well at it, you need practice and more than just some "trick" you can learn in an hour.

what he meant by parallel lines was that when you look dirrectly at a line with another line behind it (dirrectly behind it) it will appear as a single line, because the lines overlap. If that still doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to better explain.

In my opinion, the easiest way to go about it is how it's meant to be done... visualizing the 3d structure in your head. Some people are just naturally better at it than others, but if you practice, I see no reason why you can't become proficient at it.

"tricks" like line counting are meant to give you an average score... just like anything, if you want to do well at it, you need practice and more than just some "trick" you can learn in an hour.

what he meant by parallel lines was that when you look dirrectly at a line with another line behind it (dirrectly behind it) it will appear as a single line, because the lines overlap. If that still doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to better explain.

Eh, I still dont see it. I know that a line behind another line will be seen as 1 line obviously, but that only works for the top horizontal lines right? And only if they are solid? Sorry I am lousy at visualizing. I am reading advice and then jumping into doing the CDP problems. I just wanted to mentally prepare myself rather than jumping in. Thanks.