Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBV

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I just purchased pathoma and was wondering how have successful students used it as a resource?

Was it a study lectures all week thing and pathoma on the weekends type gig?

Did it behoove you to blow off lectures completely and focus on pathoma?

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

As a supplement to lectures. Watch the pathoma section corresponding to your lecture topic before you study the school material then again about 2 days later. Mix in some Kaplan questions and you're good

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all I just purchased pathoma and was wondering how have successful students used it as a resource?

Any advice?

I found Pathoma to be an extremely useful resource. I used it as a supplement to First Aid and would do the lectures that corresponded to each chapter I was reviewing. However, i suggest you watch a couple and see if you find it helpful and decide what you think would be most useful in terms of integrating it with your other study tools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathoma is not an all encompassing, one stop shop kinda deal but it is an amazing resource. Absolutely one of the best. I watched the vids before an organ system to "preview" the material and did another run through a couple days before the test when I wanted to passively watch videos. You can set it up however you like as long as you're getting through it.

I had multiple questions on Step 1 where I could recall Dr. Sattar's voice and exact video where the material came from.

This is just speaking from the perspective at my school...

It was good for me to see all of the pathology and disorders on a few pages instead of a couple hundred powerpoint slides. It's good for a quick look through to get the quick and dirty facts, but don't expect any details.

I think that's what many of my classmates do. I personally find it more high yield to just study the class materials since that's what is being tested, there is overlap, but the questions are in the details. Sure, it may have some kind of benefit for Step 1, but I'm taking it one step at a time, I gotta do well on the classes right now.

You will fail.

Thanks for the advice everyone. So far so good I really like the pathoma videos and there is a ton of overlap b/w that and lecture looks like a sound investment for sure!

Does Pathoma content get updated from time to time?

Yes. I believe they come out with a new book every year, and the lectures have been updated a few times since first release.

Reactions: 1 user
Does Pathoma content get updated from time to time?
Yup. One of my classmates submitted errata for the book and it was posted on the website within a week

Is this something I should buy during first year or wait until 2nd?

I think Pathoma's a great starting point for studying. It can help you organize the material in your head if you watch it before or immediately after your corresponding lecture. Pathoma definitely did not cover the material in enough depth for either a med school exam or for the USMLE.

I think Pathoma's a great starting point for studying. It can help you organize the material in your head if you watch it before or immediately after your corresponding lecture. Pathoma definitely did not cover the material in enough depth for either a med school exam or for the USMLE.

I actually agree. I find Pathoma to be extremely superficial and not as great a resource as everyone has made it out to be. Which is unfortunate.

Annotate what Sattar says on his videos into the pathoma book. Read over to understand.

Now, annotate pathoma into FA.
(Bonus: annotate Rx and/or UW into FA)
Read FA x3-5.
Continue doing timed questions.

You should receive your finished product by way of a July email with a score report containing a 3 digit number in the upper 200s.

School lectures are worthless, idc where you go to school.

Reactions: 3 users