Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

One question: should I start pathology by reading a regular textbook or can I just jump into Pathoma?

I think starting with Pathoma might be a good idea, especially if you use a more detailed book afterwards, because you will be able to easily fill in the gaps

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing Pathoma throughout MS2, doing the classes I am in as I go and reviewing stuff from M1 in my spare time. Anyone else use another source during the school year? Should I plan on doing RR during my dedicated step studying period?

I plan on using Goljan audio but I am only going to use it during gym time or waiting on the bus time.

Hey, I am one of those going through the videos during M2. At what point should I be rereading what I have watched and annotated? Do you all recommend this to be a weekly activity or something I should not worry about until dedicated study time?

Thanks!

Is anyone else having problems with Pathoma vids right now? Mine just stopped playing in the middle of a lecture and wouldn't start playing again for like half an hour. Now it's playing and stopping and skipping around like crazy...

Here's what I've been doing (and I think it's working really well in helping me understand/retain the material):

1) Read the Pathoma chapter first.
2) Watch the lecture at 1.0x and annotate into the book (and I take pretty extensive notes).
3) Re-read the Pathoma chapter, along with what I've annotated.
4) Read the corresponding section in RR Path.
5) Re-watch the Pathoma lecture at 1.4x or 1.7x (depending on how comfortable I am with the material).

(6) Then, the week before the exam, go over the Pathoma chapters and lecture handouts to pick up additional details covered in class, but that weren't found in Pathoma/RR.)

I also mix in Robbin's Review of Path and WebPath questions along the way (I usually do this when I'm eating). I don't generally go to class or stream class lectures, so studying in this manner doesn't take up as much of my day as it would if I did attend lecture.

I spread this out over the course of a week or two, so I'm seeing the same things everyday/every other day -- this spacing out helps me retain the info, IMO, much better and I wish I did that more with M1 year courses. It's been working out really well so far, IMHO, and not as time-consuming as I initially thought it might be -- doing Pathoma first, before going through RR, makes going through RR a lot quicker, since the conceptual foundation has already been laid down and all I'm really doing is picking up more details and looking at the pictures.

I only wish that Pathoma covered some other topics that classes and RR/Robbin's cover (ex. genetic diseases, nutritional/environmental diseases). It would be great if something like this existed for micro also! But CMMRS definitely helps out in that subject.

Just finished our first round of tests, and I did very very well (which I credit Pathoma). Here's my MS2 workflow:

During Term
1. Watch entire Pathoma section, annotating into the book.
2. listen to class audio and annotate onto syllabus
3. Make Anki flashcards for class lectures
4. Once I feel comfortable with flashcards, Robins Review Questions, looking up wrong answers in Big Robbins to understand why I missed it

Prep for test
1. Relisten to all pathoma, 1.7x, just listen and pay attention
2. Make sure I know Anki cards cold

I have BRS Path and Kaplan Q bank...and I dabble in multiple choice questions if I have time, but by that time, I am not missing questions that will on class tests. I will annotate Kaplan Questions into FA because they give references.

Notice how Pathoma was hit twice? It is awesome!

Thank you all so much for the answering my question. RR AND Pathoma, geez I was going to sell RR today but now I am having second thoughts...

The most irritating thing about pathoma is when the videos don't work!! LIKE NOW!!!!
Support won't get back to you for hours to days.
And I have a very tight schedule!! Frustrating!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If Dr. Sattar made a QBank to go with his book, that would be amazing. Book is already amazing as it is, but having something else to reinforce the material after watching/reading would be :thumbup:

Is it worth it to buy pathoma during ms1?
If neuro (with path) or microID or endocrine organ systems are being taught

get it.. its one of the cheapest and most effective resources that you can get. I think I spent $130 and it will cover me all the way to the end of 2nd year July 2014 which will be post Step 1 exam for me.

get it.. its one of the cheapest and most effective resources that you can get. I think I spent $130 and it will cover me all the way to the end of 2nd year July 2014 which will be post Step 1 exam for me.

I agree, I forked the money up early so I could use it for the neuro shelf first year. I'd just go for it

Unless you're covering a significant amount of pathology/pathophysiology (ex. if you have a systems-based curriculum), Pathoma is a waste for M1 year. Granted, it's still pretty cheap even if you get the 21-month long subscription or whatever, but it's unlikely to be of much use for an M1. If you're worried about neuro, look into "Neuroanatomy through clinical cases" by Hal Blumenfeld. Excellent book. Very, very relevant for M1 year neuro and also covers a lot of neuropath.

I just have to compliment pathoma more...

I'm on my third pass through the videos (first pass after having completed all organ systems), and the information just keeps tying together in new ways with great little pieces of information popping up that went unnoticed/unremembered (even after annotating everything on my 2nd pass through).

<3<3<3 Sattar

I just have to compliment pathoma more...

I'm on my third pass through the videos (first pass after having completed all organ systems), and the information just keeps tying together in new ways with great little pieces of information popping up that went unnoticed/unremembered (even after annotating everything on my 2nd pass through).

<3<3<3 Sattar

Wow, full pass through FA and 3x through pathoma?

Did you use Goljan or only pathoma? How are the qbanks coming ?

Wow, full pass through FA and 3x through pathoma?

Did you use Goljan or only pathoma? How are the qbanks coming ?

Annotating what Sattar says into the pathoma book I mean, not FA. And I'm just starting my 3rd pass, only about 6 chapters into it. I've probably only read 1/3ish of FA, pretty much have only done it A) prior to starting a subject based block of qbank or B) if I feel I start to lose the big picture of what's going on in class or need a quick summary.

Just doing pathoma. I'm sure Goljan is great, but there's just too much in the way of resources to hit everything, and the consensus seems to be that pathoma is enough for path. I own it and have looked at it, and the bullet point format also isn't super appealing to me.

For qbanks, I've done about 500 q's from kaplan, and I'm averaging a little better than 80%. I do all the blocks subject based though, after reviewing the material, so that surely ups the percentage some from what it would be on random. Going to try to get through as much as I can over break then start up Rx on random during spring semester

Last edited:
Annotating what Sattar says into the pathoma book I mean, not FA. And I'm just starting my 3rd pass, only about 6 chapters into it. I've probably only read 1/3ish of FA, pretty much have only done it A) prior to starting a subject based block of qbank or B) if I feel I start to lose the big picture of what's going on in class or need a quick summary.

Just doing pathoma. I'm sure Goljan is great, but there's just too much in the way of resources to hit everything, and the consensus seems to be that pathoma is enough for path. I own it and have looked at it, and the bullet point format also isn't super appealing to me.

For qbanks, I've done about 500 q's from kaplan, and I'm averaging a little better than 80%. I do all the blocks subject based though, after reviewing the material, so that surely ups the percentage some from what it would be on random. Going to try to get through as much as I can over break then start up Rx on random during spring semester

Sounds good.

I've going to do a 2nd run of pathoma. It's pretty sweet.

It actually has showed me how terrible medical education is when I learn something I've been tested on last semester. Med school tries to just teach memory instead of building the foundation to understand. Like all those white cell disorders... Tested on all that but didn't ever understand until after pathoma.

:laugh: I did it before every block's organ during fall semester, and it really sucked when you could tell just how badly a certain topic was presented when you're making the first pass through the lecture notes. Particularly annoying when sources said different "facts." Now that that's more or less over with, pathoma can become the bible of facts

Cant say enough good things about pathoma. I make sure to know the pathoma chapter down cold before each of my exams in m2 and it has been really helpful. In terms of m1 however I don't really see it being very helpful. At least in my m1 year I know it would not have been of much use.

anyone know where i can BUY pathoma? because on amazon it's all sold out and that's the only place i know to buy my books because they ship them internationally(i don't live in the US). So...anyone knw of a good bookstore that ships internationally? :D

anyone know where i can BUY pathoma? because on amazon it's all sold out and that's the only place i know to buy my books because they ship them internationally(i don't live in the US). So...anyone knw of a good bookstore that ships internationally? :D

Why don't you order directly from the pathoma website? It says they ship internationally.

What do you guys think of just watching the videos without taking notes? I kind of just like to chill and write down stuff on a paper to make sure I'm paying attention. Whatever is not in the book isn't that important IMO. What you think

What do you guys think of just watching the videos without taking notes? I kind of just like to chill and write down stuff on a paper to make sure I'm paying attention. Whatever is not in the book isn't that important IMO. What you think

It depends on how you learn as an individual. Some people can't fathom not taking notes, because the process of writing (and, optionally, reviewing later) is part of the way they learn. If you've found that taking notes isn't helpful for you (and it certainly isn't for some), then don't waste your time taking notes. You've been through over a decade of school now; do what's best for you.

Yea I know I guess what I meant was: Is the extra stuff you're taking notes on that essential?

Classmates took the exam recently. Some say Pathoma is enough and some say it's isn't enough. How have people that took the exam in the past 2 months feel using Pathoma solely as the source for learning Path.

What do you guys feel are the weaknesses in Pathoma?

I feel like the Neuro section was pretty lackadaisical and genetics is pretty much omitted.

I may just go with RR for neuro, what are your thoughts?

I feel like the Neuro section was pretty lackadaisical and genetics is pretty much omitted.

Yeah I think the general consensus is that you'll probably need to look at another source for neuro. I'm just planning on reading RR and then using FA for step 1 neuro studying.

Classmates took the exam recently. Some say Pathoma is enough and some say it's isn't enough. How have people that took the exam in the past 2 months feel using Pathoma solely as the source for learning Path.

I took it back in June, and I felt that Pathoma was enough for path. I used it as my sole resource because I didn't like Goljan's videos and Rapid Review was way too much. I used the path in FA as supplement to Pathoma, but there was very little in FA that was not covered by Pathoma. It's a great resource. I have a lot of friends who also used it as their sole resource for path, and they all performed very well.

I took it back in June, and I felt that Pathoma was enough for path. I used it as my sole resource because I didn't like Goljan's videos and Rapid Review was way too much. I used the path in FA as supplement to Pathoma, but there was very little in FA that was not covered by Pathoma. It's a great resource. I have a lot of friends who also used it as their sole resource for path, and they all performed very well.

Thanks, this is what I'm afraid of. When people answer my question, I try to see what they write. Most have been saying just that - "enough". I was hoping somebody would say - "more than enough", lol just for reassurance. I remember when I took my CBSSA I could confidently tell the underclass that Kaplan Pharm was "more than enough" of a resource to use for prep. :)

I was thinking of reading the first 9 chapters from Goljan, his audio, Pathoma, and FA path to cover up the loose ends. I feel that Pathoma doesn't completely dive into the mcc of majority of the things, whereas RR does.

Thanks, this is what I'm afraid of. When people answer my question, I try to see what they write. Most have been saying just that - "enough". I was hoping somebody would say - "more than enough", lol just for reassurance. I remember when I took my CBSSA I could confidently tell the underclass that Kaplan Pharm was "more than enough" of a resource to use for prep. :)

I was thinking of reading the first 9 chapters from Goljan, his audio, Pathoma, and FA path to cover up the loose ends. I feel that Pathoma doesn't completely dive into the mcc of majority of the things, whereas RR does.

Enough is not a bad thing. When I said "enough", I meant that Pathoma covered grounds for pretty much everything on the exam. For me, Goljan's RR would be in the "more than enough" category which is why I didn't use it because it has whatever is on the exam plus unnecessary information. There will always be a few random questions on the exam that aren't covered by Pathoma and even RR. If you do all of UW, Pathoma, and FA, those resources combined will definitely be more than enough to do well on the exam. If you have time and energy for RR, that's great too.

Has anyone found a circulating version of the manuscript *other* than the one with 5billion typos / odd character substitutions? Thanks~

cardio is lacking as well, IMO. have to use Lilly as an adjunct

Really? It doesn't explain the murmurs as well as Goljan or FA but I can't remember doing a Kaplan CV pathology question yet where the answer wasn't in Pathoma somewhere.

yeah, that's what I meant--what is contained within the cardio is good, but what is not mentioned is frustrating. also he doesn't seem to integrate the physio much, which is heavy in cardio.

Edit: Forgot to mention that while there are mentions of pericardial diseases, tamponade/pulsus paradoxus should have at least a few sentences dedicated to it.

Last edited:
yeah, that's what I meant--what is contained within the cardio is good, but what is not mentioned is frustrating. also he doesn't seem to integrate the physio much, which is heavy in cardio.

Edit: Forgot to mention that while there are mentions of pericardial diseases, tamponade/pulsus paradoxus should have at least a few sentences dedicated to it.

Yea, I thought cardio in Pathoma was pretty good too. Except for missing pericardial diseases. I don't know why that was left out. I was also kinda surprised that he spent all of 5 minutes on heart failure -- definitely went to Lilly's for that. I read most of Lilly's during our cardio block -- while it was definitely a good read, I think Pathoma did a good job picking out the important/high-yield stuff from Lilly's. Lilly does give you a better understanding of "why" something happens though, since it covers a lot of normal physio also.

Yea, I thought cardio in Pathoma was pretty good too. Except for missing pericardial diseases. I don't know why that was left out. I was also kinda surprised that he spent all of 5 minutes on heart failure -- definitely went to Lilly's for that. I read most of Lilly's during our cardio block -- while it was definitely a good read, I think Pathoma did a good job picking out the important/high-yield stuff from Lilly's. Lilly does give you a better understanding of "why" something happens though, since it covers a lot of normal physio also.

yeah he kind of rushed through heart failure as well. the congenital heart diseases are explained really well, though, I have to admit. Lilly is great, but really verbose and certain chapters were hard to get through, IMO.

I wanted to use this method and I see that this + goljan audio is they way to go. For "Path" but what are all the resources I need in general for step one studying? im trying to get my plan going. I was intially doing the Taub method but I think these other methods are better for me. Can someone please tell me everything I need?

Goljan audio
Pathoma
First Aid
USMLE world qbank
Kaplan qbank?
somebodys Rx flash cards??

I basically need a break down of everything I need to to go over for step one.. I cant really find all the info in one spot and I need something concrete.

Please if anyone could help