Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I didn't touch RR or pathoma during the school year and just started my boards studying last week with pathoma. I was hoping to avoid RR all together if possible (it doesn't loook like that is going to happen). I've noticed that pathoma is pretty focussed on the same pathology that first aid is focussed on (which is good in some ways) but as you mentioned, first aid actually has more detail on a decent number of diseases which is kind of scary to me and I definitely know the feeling of twiddling my thumbs as he explains some very simple concept for 3 minutes for the 3rd time. Anyways, I'm not unhappy with pathoma but I'm wondering where I should go from here. I really want a score in the high 240's or 250s. Should I do one more read through after the video lectures and then try and begin to plow through RR- this is going to be really tough to do with the amount of time I have. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

I take most of this back. I now have 3 weeks left of studying and have put goljan on the shelf for good (I read a whole 3-4 pages from it). I did half of Kaplan Q Bank, then began Uworld. I'm halfway through with my FIRST pass on UWorld and (of course using first aid as well) getting 70% average (random blocks, only giving myself 50 min) which sounds like it tends to translate into 240s. Maybe my classes filled in the gaps well or something but I'm really leaning toward feeling justified in not wasting my life with goljan. Who knows... maybe I'll bomb the real thing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I only experimented with Goljan for a few chapters.

Just think of it with something you're already done with...like MCAT books. I used Berkeley Review, because I like the style. Was there that much different between it and Kaplan. Probably not.

These are professional board review sources. They probably all sit down to write their material with very similar outlines of what to cover.

Pathoma is clear, concise, and conceptually driven. If there's a piece of biochem or molecular bio or whatever that will serve to explain the pathology then he works it in to the introduction to a disease. But it's only to conceptualize the pathophys.

Goljan likes to take longitudinal tacts to show you how interconnected subjects can appear simultaneously. So that when you see a micro question stem that suddenly becomes a cell bio question you're prepared to make the link.

Personally I like making sweeping reviews with multiple reps through a particular section of pathology. So that when I think lungs and an obstructive disease I have differentials that I'm already familiar with. My mind likes to group things like this.

Pathoma allows you to get reps in on a topic in short order. So I went with it.

Unlike many on here I like vagina more than I like a 270, so that's how I prioritize things. Kidding....sort of. But if your tense about it this far out you might want to analyze the methodology of people going for > 2 SD's from the mean.

I used Pathoma all year. It's awesome.

:laugh: at the last part. That was hilarious!

Would it be a good idea to remove the binding of Pathoma and integrate it into the appropriate sections in FA?

I really don't see the point. Just have both on your table at the same time?

I guess the point would be to consolidate all the necessary info into one 'Master' binder. Seems a bit taxing, but I have heard of previous students integrating other books/notes into FA. So, why not Pathoma?

I guess the point would be to consolidate all the necessary info into one 'Master' binder. Seems a bit taxing, but I have heard of previous students integrating other books/notes into FA. So, why not Pathoma?

Again, I don't see the point. It's not like Pathoma is too thick to find info quickly. I can find anything I want in Pathoma in 10 seconds or less without using the index even.

Here's an idea. Take some superglue and stick pathoma onto the cover of your FA binder. Boom done. You heard it here first! :idea:

Again, I don't see the point. It's not like Pathoma is too thick to find info quickly. I can find anything I want in Pathoma in 10 seconds or less without using the index even.

Here's an idea. Take some superglue and stick pathoma onto the cover of your FA binder. Boom done. You heard it here first! :idea:

It sounds like you're having difficulty understanding the concept. I would like to make a 'Master' binder with pages from Pathoma, class notes, diagrams from Lippincott's Biochem, etc. Making the sections into organ systems would allow for better organization, not just to create a "bigger" book.

Get it yet? hope so..

I tried reading most of this thread, which took me more time than ill admit. I will be beginning 2nd year soon. My plan so far is to try to integrate using FA, Pathoma, and Goljian during the school year and hopefully by the end of the year when crunch time begins I'll have a good sense what resources I should put all my effort in. My only question is what about the other material tested on for the USMLE? It seems like Goljian and Pathoma mainly just focus on pathology. Do you get the rest from FA and Uworld? or are there other sources you need for the other topics. What % of step 1 would you say is covered by pathoma/Goljian. Thanks! Hope this isn't a stupid question.

It sounds like you're having difficulty understanding the concept. I would like to make a 'Master' binder with pages from Pathoma, class notes, diagrams from Lippincott's Biochem, etc. Making the sections into organ systems would allow for better organization, not just to create a "bigger" book.

Get it yet? hope so..

Oh I get it. I just think it's crazy. Let me rephrase: it's a lot of work just to make something a little more convenient. Annotating is one thing, but if you're spending so much time actually physically inserting other books into FA, you've jumped the shark. It's like the person who spent hours making the most perfect notes he can for a class. Totally inefficient and missing the point.

Members don't see this ad :)

Get it yet? hope so..

I think a lot of what ppl are saying is that you can't use the index in the pathoma book if you do that. I personally use the index more than I use the rest of the book, so it wouldn't work for me so well.

But, we don't all use books/notes the same way, so hell, if making a "master binder" is what's going to get you to go to bed with a smile on your face every night, then you go ahead and knock yourself out man. Don't listen to anyone. Life is too short :D

I tried reading most of this thread, which took me more time than ill admit. I will be beginning 2nd year soon. My plan so far is to try to integrate using FA, Pathoma, and Goljian during the school year and hopefully by the end of the year when crunch time begins I'll have a good sense what resources I should put all my effort in. My only question is what about the other material tested on for the USMLE? It seems like Goljian and Pathoma mainly just focus on pathology. Do you get the rest from FA and Uworld? or are there other sources you need for the other topics. What % of step 1 would you say is covered by pathoma/Goljian. Thanks! Hope this isn't a stupid question.

yes to your questions! that's why you have FA and Uworld! :luck:

Oh I get it. I just think it's crazy. Let me rephrase: it's a lot of work just to make something a little more convenient. Annotating is one thing, but if you're spending so much time actually physically inserting other books into FA, you've jumped the shark. It's like the person who spent hours making the most perfect notes he can for a class. Totally inefficient and missing the point.

I guess we just have different outlooks on some things. For me, it's not all that strenuous to organize paper into simple sections. Oh, and I never knew that making perfect notes for a class was so inefficient and "misses the point", even if it gets you the grades/scores you want. :idea:

I think a lot of what ppl are saying is that you can't use the index in the pathoma book if you do that. I personally use the index more than I use the rest of the book, so it wouldn't work for me so well.

But, we don't all use books/notes the same way, so hell, if making a "master binder" is what's going to get you to go to bed with a smile on your face every night, then you go ahead and knock yourself out man. Don't listen to anyone. Life is too short :D

+1

The videos on the site not only require java (which you ipad wont play) but also use a special player I'm sure would not be able to be opened on your ipad.

Is it possible to complete all of pathoma videos in 10 -12 days? my boards is end of July 25 so just wanted to knoiw if its worth my money?

Depends on your pathology knowledge. If you been through a whole pathology course before you should have no problems finishing the book in 12 days. I re did pathoma in 2 days.

Is it possible to complete all of pathoma videos in 10 -12 days? my boards is end of July 25 so just wanted to knoiw if its worth my money?

More than enough. The first time I went through Pathoma, it took me 3.5 days on 1.7x speed. You have enough time to watch it 2-3x.

I'm going through systemic pathology with Pathoma during the last 3 days before my test just to sit back and review. It's definitely helpful, but I doubt you could use this effectively as a primary study tool. I've been reading Robbins and Goljan throughout the year so Pathoma is a nice refresher, but I don't think his course provides the nuance required to reason through many of the questions on NBME 11-13.

Pathoma is more like someone explaining bullet points in FA to you, but often the detail is not even up to FA levels. That said, it did fill in some gaps in my knowledge. I just don't think it's as rave-worthy as I've been hearing all year long. For example, if I hadn't read RR and Robbins path for the ovarian and testicular pathology, I would have been utterly lost during the Pathoma section on these topics.

Out of the video lecturers I've used this year, Raymond stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Sattar is very logical and concise, but lacks depth.

I'm taking my test Friday so hopefully all precious hours I'm putting into Pathoma will pay off!

Last edited:
I'm going through systemic pathology with Pathoma during the last 3 days before my test just to sit back and review. It's definitely helpful, but I doubt you could use this effectively as a primary study tool. I've been reading Robbins and Goljan throughout the year so Pathoma is a nice refresher, but I don't think his course provides the nuance required to reason through many of the questions on NBME 11-13.

Pathoma is more like someone explaining bullet points in FA to you, but often the detail is not even up to FA levels. That said, it did fill in some gaps in my knowledge. I just don't think it's as rave-worthy as I've been hearing all year long. For example, if I hadn't read RR and Robbins path for the ovarian and testicular pathology, I would have been utterly lost during the Pathoma section on these topics.

Out of the video lecturers I've used this year, Raymond stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Sattar is very logical and concise, but lacks depth.

I'm taking my test Friday so hopefully all precious hours I'm putting into Pathoma will pay off!

That's strange. Many 250+ scorers haven't been touching Goljan. I guess you get the depth on your own. Review materials can't always give you depth, so being logical and concise is possibly the best you can ask for. Goljan doesn't seem to be concise from what I've seen.

That's strange. Many 250+ scorers haven't been touching Goljan. I guess you get the depth on your own. Review materials can't always give you depth, so being logical and concise is possibly the best you can ask for. Goljan doesn't seem to be concise from what I've seen.

Agreed, didn't touch goljan all year and I've been hitting 260+ on the NBME with just pathoma for path

it's been my experience that he sometimes simplifies things so much that you convince yourself that there's gotta be more. I've also noticed that his informal way of lecturing makes it seem like he isn't covering much depth. Then when you listen to him the 2nd time, you'll notice stuff you totally overlooked. Or sometimes you miss a practice question and you're thinking to yourself that that wasn't in pathoma. Hearing him lecture about the topic for the third time, you'll notice that he did talk about it. But that's my experience, and I guess it may be different from yours. I've been using pathoma since day 1 of year 2, so I've been fortunate to have had the time to go through each lecture (normal speed) at least 7-10 times over the last year.

it's been my experience that he sometimes simplifies things so much that you convince yourself that there's gotta be more. I've also noticed that his informal way of lecturing makes it seem like he isn't covering much depth. Then when you listen to him the 2nd time, you'll notice stuff you totally overlooked. Or sometimes you miss a practice question and you're thinking to yourself that that wasn't in pathoma. Hearing him lecture about the topic for the third time, you'll notice that he did talk about it. But that's my experience, and I guess it may be different from yours. I've been using pathoma since day 1 of year 2, so I've been fortunate to have had the time to go through each lecture (normal speed) at least 7-10 times over the last year.

You watched each lecture 7-10 times? Holy crap. Wouldn't doing questions be more beneficial after a significant # of passes?

Well my sense is that there are a fair number of questions on the NBMEs that test one step beyond fact recall. For those questions, I've found that having a decent background in Robbins and Goljan have helped me. Reading about the details also keeps things interesting.

Pathoma has been especially good for bringing out the confusing comparisons that often occur in medicine, like x tumor has a feature, y tumor has a similar feature, but this is how they differ. Dr. Sattar does that really, really well.

Pathoma lectures are brilliant there's no doubting that, but I found it lacking in some departments. The Heart Valvular Diseases in particular, I found them quite weak in Pathoma which came into spotlight when I continually got Valvular Diseases questions wrong in UWorld.

But then there are some areas where Pathoma is absolutely fantastic, like the Hematology chapters, and the Renal Chapter.

I gotta say, Pathoma has really strenghened my pathology, and I am better off after it than I was before it.

Do you guys suggest doing Pathoma and supplementing Golgian Audio - Cardio lectures to fill in the gap for vulvular diseases?

which is better for cardio path/phys? Golgian audio or pathoma?

You watched each lecture 7-10 times? Holy crap. Wouldn't doing questions be more beneficial after a significant # of passes?

For example, we would be in the GI block, so I would listen to pathoma's GI lecture once a day for the first 5 days or so. At that point, I would have a very solid foundation in GI. I would then go through our class syllabus, and find myself literally flying through it, just filling up gaps in my knowledge. I didn't go to lecture, so I had lots of free time.

I'd listen to it again while studying for our term 1 final, again for the term 2 final, and again for the NBME year 2 final our school gave us.

I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I got almost all honors in year 2. I'm not a very smart guy, so I'm pretty sure it's because of the way I studied.

Pathoma lectures are brilliant there's no doubting that, but I found it lacking in some departments. The Heart Valvular Diseases in particular, I found them quite weak in Pathoma which came into spotlight when I continually got Valvular Diseases questions wrong in UWorld.

But then there are some areas where Pathoma is absolutely fantastic, like the Hematology chapters, and the Renal Chapter.

I gotta say, Pathoma has really strenghened my pathology, and I am better off after it than I was before it.

word, I agree that cardio was lacking. I also found neuro lacking.

For example, we would be in the GI block, so I would listen to pathoma's GI lecture once a day for the first 5 days or so. At that point, I would have a very solid foundation in GI. I would then go through our class syllabus, and find myself literally flying through it, just filling up gaps in my knowledge. I didn't go to lecture, so I had lots of free time.

I'd listen to it again while studying for our term 1 final, again for the term 2 final, and again for the NBME year 2 final our school gave us.

I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I got almost all honors in year 2. I'm not a very smart guy, so I'm pretty sure it's because of the way I studied.

Nothing ridiculous about it. I watched each section at least 2-3x with my path class during M2, I did another pass during my dedicated time so far, and I will probably do another pass of the videos alongside another pass of FA (my test is in 2.5 weeks). I feel like each pass really helps to make connections and solidify things.

Nothing ridiculous about it. I watched each section at least 2-3x with my path class during M2, I did another pass during my dedicated time so far, and I will probably do another pass of the videos alongside another pass of FA (my test is in 2.5 weeks). I feel like each pass really helps to make connections and solidify things.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I totally agree about how each pass solidifies things even more. I'm honestly not sure how I would've managed M2 without pathoma.

Do you guys suggest doing Pathoma and supplementing Golgian Audio - Cardio lectures to fill in the gap for vulvular diseases?

which is better for cardio path/phys? Golgian audio or pathoma?

Read Lilly for valvular diseases if you have a decent amount of time before your test! The chapter will take you maybe 2 hours to read, then do some questions, refer back to the text, etc. Lilly is just absolutely amazing for cards. Use online auscultation sites for additional help with the sounds. I don't remember if Goljan really talked about valvular diseases.

Well, interesting strategy. I've actually found my biggest flaw is not enough repetition.

I think that's the difference in strategies between Goljan + Pathoma. The idea that we should cover a ton of information at the expense of repetition. OR to cover much less (i.e. the essential) but use tons of repetition.

It's an interesting decision we need to make as we learn.

Read Lilly for valvular diseases if you have a decent amount of time before your test! The chapter will take you maybe 2 hours to read, then do some questions, refer back to the text, etc. Lilly is just absolutely amazing for cards. Use online auscultation sites for additional help with the sounds. I don't remember if Goljan really talked about valvular diseases.

I've heard this a few times. Any other pathology gem books out there?

Well, interesting strategy. I've actually found my biggest flaw is not enough repetition.

I think that's the difference in strategies between Goljan + Pathoma. The idea that we should cover a ton of information at the expense of repetition. OR to cover much less (i.e. the essential) but use tons of repetition.

It's an interesting decision we need to make as we learn.

I've heard this a few times. Any other pathology gem books out there?

I don't know of anything better than Lilly for cardio. Well, there's Braunwald's but you don't wanna read that.

And I agree with you that there's a trade-off between depth and breadth. I've managed to score in the 250s-260s on my NBMEs by focusing on depth, but I'm aware that there are some definite holes in my knowledge (anatomy and cell bio in particular).

it's been my experience that he sometimes simplifies things so much that you convince yourself that there's gotta be more. I've also noticed that his informal way of lecturing makes it seem like he isn't covering much depth. Then when you listen to him the 2nd time, you'll notice stuff you totally overlooked. Or sometimes you miss a practice question and you're thinking to yourself that that wasn't in pathoma. Hearing him lecture about the topic for the third time, you'll notice that he did talk about it.

Yes I found there are alot of points almost hidden within the lectures and I only picked up on some of them when going through some lectures again in my dedicated prep time.

I've actually found my biggest flaw is not enough repetition.

I think you don't do enough repetition because you realize how annoying it is. When we are studying, I think we all need to get the feeling that we're moving along. With repetition, you never get that satisfaction. It was honestly torture to listen to a lecture after listening to it twice. It still is. But I promised myself this year that I was going to skip depth and aim for repetition instead.

It was very scary in the beginning when I'd see my classmates walking around with Robbins or RR, while I was carrying around the pathoma book which looked like a freakin magazine. But I realized quickly that they'd know 100 pages superficially, and I would know 10 pages like the back of my hand. After I saw that my method worked for the first few courses, I rode that wave until the end.

I think you don't do enough repetition because you realize how annoying it is. When we are studying, I think we all need to get the feeling that we're moving along. With repetition, you never get that satisfaction. It was honestly torture to listen to a lecture after listening to it twice. It still is. But I promised myself this year that I was going to skip depth and aim for repetition instead.

It was very scary in the beginning when I'd see my classmates walking around with Robbins or RR, while I was carrying around the pathoma book which looked like a freakin magazine. But I realized quickly that they'd know 100 pages superficially, and I would know 10 pages like the back of my hand. After I saw that my method worked for the first few courses, I rode that wave until the end.

:thumbup: Good advice, thanks.

Solid Advice...what are thoughts of annotating lecture notes onto Pathoma?? Is there that much additional depth needed to "pass" the course which is really my goal, while destroying board-related questions? I plan on using Goljan audios for the integration as well. I TOTALLY agree with you about keeping it conceptual and repetitive while making the TIME to do the problems (GT, Robbins Q and A book) while adding the integrative component (Goljan audios)...does that sound rational?

Annotating is such a waste of time IMO @ least before you start studying for the boards during the dedicated step 1 period. You don't know whats high yield or not. If your using Pathoma/GT/FA i doubt there is anything that is left out. You start annotating when you do your UWORLD questions.

Went through Pathoma x3 luved every second of it

I meant for classes dude LOL...i also don't mind printing out a color copy of pathoma and using that for my classes and annotating my lecture notes onto them

Hello Pathoma users, I finally purchased the program.:thumbup:

I was going over how the content is laid out in Pathoma + RR Path. I'm curious if I could get some input.

I noticed that Pathoma skips things like immuno path and nutritional deficiencies. Would it be helpful to use the RR chapters in this case as supplements? For the most part, everything else seems to line up pretty well. I did hear that Pathoma was a bit weak on the neuro path, any comments on that?

To simplify: If you wanted/needed to add a few RR chapters to Pathoma where it is weak, what would those be? If you honestly think Pathoma is sufficient in these areas, I would like to know that too. I'm not looking to know everything or get a 260+, I'm just trying to get a strong score so I have options during residency applications. Thanks!

Pathoma covered everything but the biochemical pathology including nutrition. Content wise his neuro section is adequate its just not explained as well as his other chapters. He does cover immuno somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd chapter.

Hello Pathoma users, I finally purchased the program.:thumbup:

I was going over how the content is laid out in Pathoma + RR Path. I'm curious if I could get some input.

I noticed that Pathoma skips things like immuno path and nutritional deficiencies. Would it be helpful to use the RR chapters in this case as supplements? For the most part, everything else seems to line up pretty well. I did hear that Pathoma was a bit weak on the neuro path, any comments on that?

To simplify: If you wanted/needed to add a few RR chapters to Pathoma where it is weak, what would those be? If you honestly think Pathoma is sufficient in these areas, I would like to know that too. I'm not looking to know everything or get a 260+, I'm just trying to get a strong score so I have options during residency applications. Thanks!

The only section in RR I would read is his bullets on all the vitamins.

Finished DIT today, and recived my Pathoma textbook today! SO excited to start!!! I"m going to do cardio first since that is my weak subject, then renal and then respiratory. Is it ok to go out of order? Or do you guys think I should start from the beginning?

Finished DIT today, and recived my Pathoma textbook today! SO excited to start!!! I"m going to do cardio first since that is my weak subject, then renal and then respiratory. Is it ok to go out of order? Or do you guys think I should start from the beginning?

Geez. U already finished DIT? Are you ms1 going ms2?