Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

Any codes available right now? Hoping to buy it within the next couple days...I don't think my school received a code.

Thanks!

I just finished going through the cardiac pathology chapter and this is some golden stuff!! the lectures are not bloated with tons of unnecessary info and after going through it my FA book was nicely annotated with extra info and other things were starred that I had perused over (i read the FA chapter and then listened to the lectures, worked well). The quality of the book and pictures dont lend themselves to looking like some cheap, part-time activity of a doc looking to make a quick buck on desperate board studying students (even though it may be a part-time project of the doc). I know its only the first chapter I've done but I'm already loving it and definitely think 100 bucks is a steal.:thumbup:

I have both and read both along with FA and my concurrent path classes. Pathoma is high yield PATHOLOGY of systems (with a little pathobiology). Rapid Review is more than that. It is integration of pathology with physiology, micro, genetics, pharm, biochem, all the subjects of FA basically. It teaches you to think like a question is worded on a step 1 test - secondary and tertiary. Also, RR covers chapters like path of genetic diseases, nutrition, etc. Yes, you can get most of that in FA but it is not as well integrated. I'd say RR gets you to think like the test (equivalent in just doing a bunch of questions if that's how you learn best).

When it comes time to cram, I will be using mostly FA and pathoma for review just because it is shorter (although the margin notes and boxes in RR will be a def must).

Also Goljan audio is pretty cool. If you listen to the audio you will see how RR is written in a similar way - multi-step analysis of the problems. I don't want to argue with anyone since I think all are great products (just look at the rating RR got in the back of the new FA and you'll understand) but just understand that they are not equal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have both and read both along with FA and my concurrent path classes. Pathoma is high yield PATHOLOGY of systems (with a little pathobiology). Rapid Review is more than that. It is integration of pathology with physiology, micro, genetics, pharm, biochem, all the subjects of FA basically. It teaches you to think like a question is worded on a step 1 test - secondary and tertiary. Also, RR covers chapters like path of genetic diseases, nutrition, etc. Yes, you can get most of that in FA but it is not as well integrated. I'd say RR gets you to think like the test (equivalent in just doing a bunch of questions if that's how you learn best).

When it comes time to cram, I will be using mostly FA and pathoma for review just because it is shorter (although the margin notes and boxes in RR will be a def must).

Also Goljan audio is pretty cool. If you listen to the audio you will see how RR is written in a similar way - multi-step analysis of the problems. I don't want to argue with anyone since I think all are great products (just look at the rating RR got in the back of the new FA and you'll understand) but just understand that they are not equal.
yes, of course. If you thought I was replacing the entire cardiac chapter of FA with the pathoma cardiac chapter you grossly misunderstood my post. The Pathoma cardiac chapter perfectly complements the PATHOLOGY section of the FA cardiac chapter. Comparing the two cardiac chapters shows theres nothing pathoma lacked and in fact better explained many things (if you are really wanting to understand the basis of a particular pathology.) You can't get by with using FA exclusively for everything that youre gonna face on boards if you want to know as much as you can and Pathoma is a good addendum for the pathology portion.

yes, of course. If you thought I was replacing the entire cardiac chapter of FA with the pathoma cardiac chapter you grossly misunderstood my post. The Pathoma cardiac chapter perfectly complements the PATHOLOGY section of the FA cardiac chapter. Comparing the two cardiac chapters shows theres nothing pathoma lacked and in fact better explained many things (if you are really wanting to understand the basis of a particular pathology.) You can't get by with using FA exclusively for everything that youre gonna face on boards if you want to know as much as you can and Pathoma is a good addendum for the pathology portion.

I know you didn't mean that. I was directing my comment to people who think that RR is simply filled with 400 pages of superfluous info that is unnecessary (compared to the length of Pathoma). I point is that this is not the case. Almost everything in RR is testable but most if not all of that information is contained in FA + Pathoma combined. RR has stuff that is not in Pathoma but not because it is low yield but rather because I believe Dr. Sattar meant for you to learn from FA and other resources. RR often outlines a disease as the key physiology being tested, key pathology, the diagnosis, microbiology/embryology/biochemistry if relevant, and the treatment. You need to know all of that to do well. But you can get it all using just FA + Pathoma. It's just another approach.

I know you didn't mean that. I was directing my comment to people who think that RR is simply filled with 400 pages of superfluous info that is unnecessary (compared to the length of Pathoma). I point is that this is not the case. Almost everything in RR is testable but most if not all of that information is contained in FA + Pathoma combined. RR has stuff that is not in Pathoma but not because it is low yield but rather because I believe Dr. Sattar meant for you to learn from FA and other resources. RR often outlines a disease as the key physiology being tested, key pathology, the diagnosis, microbiology/embryology/biochemistry if relevant, and the treatment. You need to know all of that to do well. But you can get it all using just FA + Pathoma. It's just another approach.

I agree with you. It's a question of style. And how given the Step endgame. One approaches this vast amount of material.

I like to integrate myself when failing to answer questions correctly. The sting of that punch to my nose stays with me longer. With GT and UWorld you get interactivity of facts integrative problem solving respectively. With pathoma you get punchy crisp clarity.

I like my passive listening in short stacked sessions. So pathoma was made for me. I use first aid as a reference only. Again. Too passive for me.

I've listened to Goljan audio and read his text. But it just takes too long. Given that I work out for 90 minutes each day--something all of us sedintary f'ers should do--Goljan got cut.

Goljan is good. But the field is no longer dominated by him. There's lighter faster fighters in the game now. We have options.

I agree with you. It's a question of style. And how given the Step endgame. One approaches this vast amount of material.

I like to integrate myself when failing to answer questions correctly. The sting of that punch to my nose stays with me longer. With GT and UWorld you get interactivity of facts integrative problem solving respectively. With pathoma you get punchy crisp clarity.

I like my passive listening in short stacked sessions. So pathoma was made for me. I use first aid as a reference only. Again. Too passive for me.

I've listened to Goljan audio and read his text. But it just takes too long. Given that I work out for 90 minutes each day--something all of us sedintary f'ers should do--Goljan got cut.

Goljan is good. But the field is no longer dominated by him. There's lighter faster fighters in the game now. We have options.

I agree with you about the "punch crisp clarity". It's so much easier and satisfying to navigate Goljan once one acquires that clarity, and Pathoma gives you exactly that.

I wish I found this sooner. Dr. Sattar is great. I've used everything out there since my exam is in 3 days...EEK!!!...

I used Goljan audios during school. I've been through Pathoma a couple times. It has definitely cleared some things up for me. I highly suggest going through it slow the first time (normal speed) and then a couple times at 1.4x or 1.7x speed.

My last two NBMEs were 240 and 242. I hope I can stay there this Friday.
Not sure what to do with myself. Going over some micro today, a bit of Pathoma, a bit of Dr. Raymon, and 1st Aid.

We'll see...

Last edited:
I wish I found this sooner. Dr. Sattar is great. I've used everything out there since my exam is in 3 days...EEK!!!...

I used Goljan audios during school. I used RR as a supplement during live lectures of Goljan via Falcon Review and I've been through Pathoma a couple times. It has definitely cleared some things up for me. I highly suggest going through it slow the first time (normal speed) and then a couple times at 1.4x or 1.7x speed.

My last two NBMEs were 240 and 242. I hope I can stay there this Friday.
Not sure what to do with myself. Going over some micro today, a bit of Pathoma, a bit of Dr. Raymon, and 1st Aid.

We'll see...

Minus the live lectures of Goljan and Dr. Raymon (never heard of it) that is basically my study strategy + UW. Hope it works out! Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I'm currently an MS2 and looking for some Pathoma add ins. I use and love Pathoma, bc of all the above points. I even draw out his diagrams on a piece of paper! I've been using it mainly with systems and it helps me understand things really well. I usually run through Pathoma, but in some cases it doesn't go over stuff that is taught my classes so I use RR to supplement it. I also use kaplan/costanzo for phys (time dependant) and kaplan Pharm for each block.

My question is; What else should I be doing to prep for boards.
I have Kaplan Q bank (never used it)
I got DIT (got a good deal on it, but I don't know how good/bad it is, anyone?)
I have RR+ Goljan audio's supplement pathoma
Pathoma
Kaplan vids/notes
FA 2012 (untouched, not a big fan bc it has all the facts but none are explained)

I just need guidance to see where I stand based on the right tract.

I hear about GT etc and just wonder if maybe DIT isn't such a good idea. I can still return it because I'm in the grace period. (Goal USMLE score is 245)

Last edited:
Hey all,
I'm currently an MS2 and looking for some Pathoma add ins. I use and love Pathoma, bc of all the above points. I even draw out his diagrams on a piece of paper! I've been using it mainly with systems and it helps me understand things really well. I usually run through Pathoma, but in some cases it doesn't go over stuff that is taught my classes so I use RR to supplement it. I also use kaplan/costanzo for phys (time dependant) and kaplan Pharm for each block.

My question is; What else should I be doing to prep for boards.
I have Kaplan Q bank (never used it)
I got DIT (got a good deal on it, but I don't know how good/bad it is, anyone?)
I have RR+ Goljan audio's supplement pathoma
Pathoma
Kaplan vids/notes
FA 2012 (untouched, not a big fan bc it has all the facts but none are explained)

I just need guidance to see where I stand based on the right tract.

I hear about GT etc and just wonder if maybe DIT isn't such a good idea. I can still return it because I'm in the grace period. (Goal USMLE score is 245)

Pathoma + RR/Goljan + BRS phys used to explain and expand the concepts in FA, which is what I'm basically doing is pretty time consuming. I think that I will use CMMRS for the micro part of FA. I know people that got DIT and cancelled it as soon as they started using Pathoma. My advice is don't spread yourself to thin. If you master FA using the other things as needed you should be set.

For Micro I know I will use flashcards to just memorize it.

How should I use FA/Q's? I find that by the end of getting through Pathoma + RR (and I do everything audio or not) + Pharm I have no time for Questions or FA.

I wasn't a great student last year, I did well in biochem but my weakest subject is definitely anatomy. I don't remember much of biochem either. I had thought that DIT would fill in those gaps. Any idea on that?

Also any word on GT?

That is very helpful. However I'm still wondering about DIT vs GT as an overall review course. If anyone has any idea please let me know.

In terms of vids/audio, I've learned the most from:

1. Dr. Raymon: Pharm vids, his old school biochem vids, also used Dr. Seastone's biochem vids.

2. Kaplan Path is absolute garbage. Make sure you do Pathoma!

3. Kaplan Immuno/Micro is lengthy but Dr. M is really good.

4. Kaplan Behavioral is good

5. Kaplan Physio isn't really that good. Too much talking/joking and not enough teaching/integration.

Dr. Raymon live is absolutely amazing if you get the chance. He is an amazing integrator.

RR has a ton of info but so dense and if you have the time to tear through it its worth it.
Otherwise use it as a reference or towards the end of your studies because its too overwhelming as an initial study source.

After you've absorbed and have truly understood the material then hit First Aid as a checklist. First Aid doesn't teach. But it does list everything you need to know. Thats why I think DIT is terrible in terms of teaching. That Brian Jenkins guy doesn't add anything. He just reads First Aid to you. So if you're going to use it use it at the very tail end before you sit for your exam as a structured/disciplined method for getting through First Aid in 15 days.

I really think to get a solid baseline know Pathoma inside and out. From there fill in the other gaps & details with other resources.

I'm taking Step 1 in 48 hours.....so scared :(

Last edited:
Dr. Raymon does live lectures for Kaplan. He does an integration usually at the tail end of a session.

Hi Pathoma users. I've heard good things about your program, wondering if I went over Pathoma through the summer before M2 (before I take Path), if that would be a good idea.

I'm reading that Pathoma has a really good overview, and I figure if I use it before the course in a free month, I could have a good foundation. Thoughts?

Hi Pathoma users. I've heard good things about your program, wondering if I went over Pathoma through the summer before M2 (before I take Path), if that would be a good idea.

I'm reading that Pathoma has a really good overview, and I figure if I use it before the course in a free month, I could have a good foundation. Thoughts?

It would do you a lot of good. Do one chapter at a time. Don't worry if you don't understand some of the stuff in there. You will understand them in due course. When you do finish the book with the lectures you will have a really good overview/understanding of pathology. It'll be an awesome start. Just make sure you read the text first before you listen to the lecture.

Not a bad idea. Especially since you get it for a year when you purchase it, so you'll be able to use it for board study. In that case I'd wait just a bit so you can use it right up till the end of board study. I'm currently using it and I love it.

Excellent idea. I wish I had done that.

How do you guys use Pathoma + RR? Do you read RR first then watch Pathoma videos, or do you watch the videos and THEN read RR?

Is the Pathoma textbook useful? I might be using it for my 2nd or 3rd pass on systems, but I'm not entirely sure it'll be better than RR, what do you think?

LOVE Pathoma. Thanks so much everyone for this recommendation. His simplified diagram of the coagulation cascade was the easiest way I have ever learned it. Thanks!!

How do you guys use Pathoma + RR? Do you read RR first then watch Pathoma videos, or do you watch the videos and THEN read RR?

Is the Pathoma textbook useful? I might be using it for my 2nd or 3rd pass on systems, but I'm not entirely sure it'll be better than RR, what do you think?

I watch the videos & take notes on to the pathoma book. Then go through the text with the notes. Once I have a decent understanding I go for RR.

Pathoma explains what RR doesnt. I just memorize RR.

There are a few things in each chapter that are left out in pathoma but present in RR. I guess Dr. Sattar didnt think they were super high-yield anymore. But the pathoma book is definitely an easier read and organized better then RR.

I disagree. You'll forget it. I found Pathoma much more useful to use as I went along with my courses. A lot of the videos can be watched in 8-15 minutes on specific topics and I'd just watch them before attending the related medical school lecture. Made them easier to understand.

I watched Pathoma first then went through RR. The textbook is extremely useful because that's what you should be annotating and using to review... sure you can watch the videos again but you'll want to quickly flip through the book throughout the year.

I'm going back and re-reading Pathoma and RR right now. For the most part, I can either infer a lot of what is in RR just from Pathoma, or I am actually able to point out the mechanism that Goljan decided to not mention. Goljan does add a lot of micro, physio, pharm etc, but those are things that I have picked back up from reviewing BRS or First Aid or Kaplan (it's not that much of a jump to make the connections). It feels like wasted time going through RR again to be honest (reviewing Pathoma has been more than sufficient so far) but I'm going to complete it since I started it.

I disagree. You'll forget it. I found Pathoma much more useful to use as I went along with my courses. A lot of the videos can be watched in 8-15 minutes on specific topics and I'd just watch them before attending the related medical school lecture. Made them easier to understand.

Thank you! Someone on this forum is normal. Please do not start studying year 2 things, especially pathology during your only time off in med school. Pathoma is great to get a general over view but that is what you can pick up pretty quickly using pathoma when you are actually learning the material in school. Details will be forgotten. I feel like almost everyone on this thread sound like they are in a Pathoma cult. It's a good book to get concepts that can be a bit confusing and to get some high yield points in pathology on Step 1 but geez it is not that amazing...

My advice to the 1st year which I wish I had done is to review things you already learned in FA. Annotate biochem/embryo and such in First Aid while it is still fresh and then transfer it over when you get the new first aid. Do not waste time pre-reading for the year of material you haven't had yet.

Thank you! Someone on this forum is normal. Please do not start studying year 2 things, especially pathology during your only time off in med school. Pathoma is great to get a general over view but that is what you can pick up pretty quickly using pathoma when you are actually learning the material in school. Details will be forgotten. I feel like almost everyone on this thread sound like they are in a Pathoma cult. It's a good book to get concepts that can be a bit confusing and to get some high yield points in pathology on Step 1 but geez it is not that amazing...

My advice to the 1st year which I wish I had done is to review things you already learned in FA. Annotate biochem/embryo and such in First Aid while it is still fresh and then transfer it over when you get the new first aid. Do not waste time pre-reading for the year of material you haven't had yet.

Thanks. I am already doing this kind of, using GT for 1st year material.

My goal wasn't to pre-read for classes I haven't had, but instead to get a good overview of an important topic.

Last edited:
I'm terrible at Path. Failed the test on cardiovascular/lungs. Almost failed test on Leukemia/kidneys/skin.

Is Pathoma adequate for learning the material or do I need to spend more time with class notes/Robbins beforehand?

I'm terrible at Path. Failed the test on cardiovascular/lungs. Almost failed test on Leukemia/kidneys/skin.

Is Pathoma adequate for learning the material or do I need to spend more time with class notes/Robbins beforehand?

Do Pathoma (learn everything on those topics really well from his lecs and book), then re-read your class notes - they should all make sense to you now but your notes should have a lot more detail. Then maybe re-watch pathoma and everything he's saying should also make sense at that point. I do a little more than that for Step 1 studying (i.e. incorporate Goljan and then RR for reference and read First Aid) but there's no way you can fail those subjects if you get both your notes and Pathoma down.

I know this may have been asked but wanted to find out anyways. Do you guys think using Pathoma alone enough for Step 1 studying or should I also incorporate RR Goljan along with Pathoma. I see some people just use either or both together but RR is veryyyyy long and detailed so I don't want to be missing stuff. Does Pathoma cover everything that is needed for Step 1?? I heard RR is too detailed and might be way too overwhelming?? Any thoughts???

I know this may have been asked but wanted to find out anyways. Do you guys think using Pathoma alone enough for Step 1 studying or should I also incorporate RR Goljan along with Pathoma. I see some people just use either or both together but RR is veryyyyy long and detailed so I don't want to be missing stuff. Does Pathoma cover everything that is needed for Step 1?? I heard RR is too detailed and might be way too overwhelming?? Any thoughts???

Personally, I dont think Pathoma alone is sufficient. It covers all the super high-yield material but doesnt contain the mid-yield stuff thats in RR. Pathoma covers almost everything there is in FA. You may need to review a few things in RR once your done with Pathoma but its not much.

Personally, I dont think Pathoma alone is sufficient. It covers all the super high-yield material but doesnt contain the mid-yield stuff thats in RR. Pathoma covers almost everything there is in FA. You may need to review a few things in RR once your done with Pathoma but its not much.

I don't disagree. But. In the end your medical education is your own. If you're a 1st year and you're already honing your step1 approach. Then you probably are going all out for a competitive specialty.

I manage passing grades with multiple runs on high yield materials that begin with Kaplan videos and end with GT and pathoma. Multiple repititions. With no regard whatsoever for any word uttered by a lecturer of any sort.

So I end up losing points on utter nonsense and the step2 relevant stuff that the professors who took their boards in the Carter administration just think you should know as if you're about to making crucial patient management decisions on transplant patients tommorrow.

If--by the odd chance--that you like vaginas and keeping a man's body instead of a human jellyfish. Or that you have no trouble occupying your mind with--god forbid--no medical things. Then. These materials can be drunk down straight. No chaser.

And board scores in the 220's or better. And a life. Are yours for the taking.

Otherwise. Just study everything and stop f'n worrying your head over it.

People who push the outter envelope of step performance just get after it all day long. Doesn't matter which resources they use. They'll still be on top.

Do both. Pathoma first and RR second. I think pathoma is really good for understanding and categorizing but sometimes he skips a lot of details to keep it high yield. Add on RR to get the complete experience. RR is great once you have the basics from pathoma down. Not that intimidating either. Plus it helps review biochem, micro, etc. People say they can get that elsewhere but it's best served in context IMO.

Do both. Pathoma first and RR second. I think pathoma is really good for understanding and categorizing but sometimes he skips a lot of details to keep it high yield. Add on RR to get the complete experience. RR is great once you have the basics from pathoma down. Not that intimidating either. Plus it helps review biochem, micro, etc. People say they can get that elsewhere but it's best served in context IMO.

Exactly! Do Pathoma to help you understand the high yield concepts. Then use these high yield concepts to study your course work. Then use all that knowledge to see all the trees of the forest, both high-yield trees and other mid-yield trees by using RR. Then go to FA and you will see how every word in there has a lot more meaning than is written - and that is what you must know... how you decide to get there is up to you.

Exactly! Do Pathoma to help you understand the high yield concepts. Then use these high yield concepts to study your course work. Then use all that knowledge to see all the trees of the forest, both high-yield trees and other mid-yield trees by using RR. Then go to FA and you will see how every word in there has a lot more meaning than is written - and that is what you must know... how you decide to get there is up to you.

Right. I was using hyperbole for effect. The point being is you take any real usmle assassin. And drop them into the jungle with an iphone and a first aid book and they'll come out with their 250. Or whatever has got yall's panties bunched up so tight.

The point of this or that book is what do I or he or she like about it...and so on.

Not. What does some random person think I should combine with some other random person's recommendation so that I can end up in integrated plastics like on TV.

Ring-ring. Oh. Freshman. This call is for you......"Most of us will just be ordinary docs. So just take it easy on yourself. And study effectively to the degree you want to perform. There's innumerable ways of skinning a cat."

So I end up losing points on utter nonsense and the step2 relevant stuff that the professors who took their boards in the Carter administration just think you should know as if you're about to making crucial patient management decisions on transplant patients tommorrow.

If--by the odd chance--that you like vaginas and keeping a man's body instead of a human jellyfish. Or that you have no trouble occupying your mind with--god forbid--no medical things. Then. These materials can be drunk down straight. No chaser.

I honestly laughed my ass off at those two pearls of wisdom of yours

Are y'all annotating Pathoma into FA? (e.g. relevant explanations, missing info, etc.)

I've been using each all year but have only recently started annotating FA, and it's becoming pretty dense with just Pathoma's tidbits. Am I better off leaving the two books separate as I ramp up for Step 1?

just ordered this and started on it today. Did chapter 4, loved it, watched the video and annotated as i went along. went to watch video for chapter 5 and its running like garbage. download cant keep up with the video, so its having to stop every 10 seconds.... basically making it unusable. if i pop over to youtube I'm instantly downloading at 500kbps and videos run great, so the problem seems to be their servers. not to mention when i first started the video, it just hang for about 5 minutes and then started at a slow speed, making me feel like their servers are having trouble.

anyone else had any trouble with the servers? and is this a common problem? is it something on my end? 3 months till step 1 and i cant really afford to waste time with technical problems like this.

Edit: Their servers did crash. Ran like garbage for a few hours and then they switched to back up server. But you cant speed up the lectures with the backup server, so a 85 minute lecture turns into a 120 minute lecture. This is my first day every using this, pretty scary that it failed.

unfortunately, the knee jerk reaction by companies trying to protect their products from pirates means a worse user experience. Instead of being able to download the lectures and watch them at my convenience, I'm reliant on their seemingly unreliable servers.

Last edited:
just ordered this and started on it today. Did chapter 4, loved it, watched the video and annotated as i went along. went to watch video for chapter 5 and its running like garbage. download cant keep up with the video, so its having to stop every 10 seconds.... basically making it unusable. if i pop over to youtube I'm instantly downloading at 500kbps and videos run great, so the problem seems to be their servers. not to mention when i first started the video, it just hang for about 5 minutes and then started at a slow speed, making me feel like their servers are having trouble.

anyone else had any trouble with the servers? and is this a common problem? is it something on my end? 3 months till step 1 and i cant really afford to waste time with technical problems like this.

are you watching it on a MAC?

Contact the support and they will put you on a MAC server. Just let them know whatever type of computer you are using and they are pretty quick about fixing the problem.

I was thinking about annotating outside sources into FA but realized it was to time consuming and cumbersome. I'm only doing it for uworld now and going to just keep pathoma separate. I suppose one could put FA in a binder and cut the pathoma binding and add the relevant sections to each system.