MD & DO pathway options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeikeike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm currently an undergrad junior in college. My goal is to get into an anesthesiology program somewhere in nyc, (probably suny downstate). As is stands my application probably isn't going to be good enough. I'll probably graduate with about a 3.3 GPA about 2 straight years of research, with a paper published under my school's name, (and hopefully with another under a collaboration in my lab). I haven't done much volunteering though i'm starting that this summer, and in terms of leadership roles I am opening up a store with my family. I feel like my GPA is probably the most important hole in my application and I'm worried that, that along with what I can only assume to be an average MCAT score (taking that in about a year) won't be good enough for any school. If I were to do a thesis based master's would that improve my odds? What about a standard class based masters?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like my GPA is probably the most important hole in my application and I'm worried that, that along with what I can only assume to be an average MCAT score (taking that in about a year) won't be good enough for any school. If I were to do a thesis based master's would that improve my odds? What about a standard class based masters?

Thank you,
If you are considering MD programs, Master's degree grades are not averaged into the gpa and are not considered to be representative of academic prowess. DO schools may see things differently, though.

So i'm currently an undergrad junior in college. My goal is to get into an anesthesiology program somewhere in nyc, (probably suny downstate). As is stands my application probably isn't going to be good enough. I'll probably graduate with about a 3.3 GPA about 2 straight years of research, with a paper published under my school's name, (and hopefully with another under a collaboration in my lab). I haven't done much volunteering though i'm starting that this summer, and in terms of leadership roles I am opening up a store with my family. I feel like my GPA is probably the most important hole in my application and I'm worried that, that along with what I can only assume to be an average MCAT score (taking that in about a year) won't be good enough for any school. If I were to do a thesis based master's would that improve my odds? What about a standard class based masters?

Thank you,
Your GPA is fine fotr DO. If you're boning for the MD, then aceing (GPA 3.7+) a SMP of DIY post-bac is required, along with an MCAT of 513+