Pay for a re-score on boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gr80n1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did not pass my peds boards (first time). BY 2 POINTS!
My question is:
Has anyone paid for the re-score ($250) and passed?
Does this ever happen?
I can accept the fact that I did not pass... but if I did not have to take the test again that would be awesome!

Thanks!

PS.
If anyone else out there wants to talk about not passing and bounce ideas around about getting past this bump let me know

Members don't see this ad.

there is another thread under failed pediatric board 2016 you may be able to get some ideas from. I also asked your question on there. I missed by 5 points myself so it would be nice to know if its worth the money. With the old scoring we would've passed. I believe the new scoring criteria has only been in play for the last 2-3 years. there is some talk of it changing again next year but that won't help us this year unfortunately :(

I suspect the chance of a re-score being successful is exceptionally low. Back when it was a pen and pencil exam, the scantron reader could mistake erases and marks if they had not been done cleanly, thus requiring a by-hand scoring. Now that things are electronic, I don't think the chance of the computer misinterpreting what you clicked is very possible. I would rather suggest, take a breather and realize that it is not the end of the world and that others are in the same boat (also knowing that a test is not a reflection of your ability to take care of patients) and use that money either toward a different studying resource or toward the exam again. In the end, do what you feel is the best way to spend that money, but I can't imagine the computer being wrong about which answers were clicked.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is another thread under failed pediatric board 2016 you may be able to get some ideas from. I also asked your question on there. I missed by 5 points myself so it would be nice to know if its worth the money. With the old scoring we would've passed. I believe the new scoring criteria has only been in play for the last 2-3 years. there is some talk of it changing again next year but that won't help us this year unfortunately :(

The old scoring was scaled, so it could only be applied to that year, so that a set percentage of people failed every year. They have now changed it to a set cutoff that doesn't change year to year, so more people in a given year could theoretically pass.

Reactions: 1 users
. With the old scoring we would've passed. I believe the new scoring criteria has only been in play for the last 2-3 years. there is some talk of it changing again next year but that won't help us this year unfortunately :(
I don't think you or anyone else wants the old system back. I highly doubt that more than 25% failed the exam this year based on the set cutoff.

Reactions: 2 users
I failed by three points, paid for the rescore, and it was a moot point. I even called prior to doing so and was told it has never happened.

I missed it by 1 point last year... I was told a rescore wouldn't change anything as they don't review content.

I switched to PBR and used that 1 point as my motivation- improved my score by over 20 points and scored above the mean this year for a pass

I failed by three points, paid for the rescore, and it was a moot point. I even called prior to doing so and was told it has never happened.
Did you mean your score changed by a point? I missed by a point, so considering a rescore.

Did you mean your score changed by a point? I missed by a point, so considering a rescore.
I failed by one point my first attempt, paid for the rescore. It did not change. I know you’re going to do it anyway because it’s “worth a shot,” but it isn’t worth it. The computer doesn’t lie and they’re not going to rescale the test.

I had a friend that tried to get it rescored. But it didn’t work out for her. I think she was off by 3-5 points on her initial score.

I failed by one point my first attempt, paid for the rescore. It did not change. I know you’re going to do it anyway because it’s “worth a shot,” but it isn’t worth it. The computer doesn’t lie and they’re not going to rescale the test.
What did you do differently the second time around? I used PBR, 3 years PREP, Medstudy questions, ABP practice exam. I'm bummed because I second guessed myself last couple minutes each block and changed to the wrong answer for at least 20 questions. Also made me lose time in the last block for the last 5 questions. I felt prepared to take the test but left Prometric defeated. I know that I def need help in the test taking strategy aspect. Current plan is to stick to the same resources and add in addition q-banks to build confidence and timing. Any advice?

My spouse failed the boards twice doing that same method: PREP + Medstudy + Practice Exam. She did the Cleveland Clinic Pediatric Review course this year virtually and she thought it helped her a lot. I would recommend.

My spouse failed the boards twice doing that same method: PREP + Medstudy + Practice Exam. She did the Cleveland Clinic Pediatric Review course this year virtually and she thought it helped her a lot. I would recommend.
I did medstudy Qbank, reviewed Zitelli (almost all histo and pictures on the exam come from this source), and did the Cleveland Clinic Board Review. I highly recommend an intensive review like CC because they hit a lot of high points and cover the deeper material adequately to get a good base for your QBank review going.