Paying $1300 to take the writtens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProRealDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I signed up to take the written boards last december and my credit card was charged $800. Today, I tried to schedule a date and they want another $525???

WTF? I thought it was only $800 bucks total.

Members don't see this ad.

So I signed up to take the written boards last december and my credit card was charged $800. Today, I tried to schedule a date and they want another $525???

WTF? I thought it was only $800 bucks total.

Ask if they accept food stamps.

Thanks for the replies DM and INTBR. Do they know these are residents not attendings taking the test. That's an entire paycheck for many of us. *&$@#!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies DM and INTBR. Do they know these are residents not attendings taking the test. That's an entire paycheck for many of us. *&$@#!

Yeah, bro', those fuggers don't care. They make cash off residents who just slaved away >80hrs/wk x 4 years.... Mudderfuggers, that's what they are. In meantime, CRNA's are making >1.5x what an internest makes, go figure...

Yeah, bro', those fuggers don't care. They make cash off residents who just slaved away >80hrs/wk x 4 years.... Mudderfuggers, that's what they are. In meantime, CRNA's are making >1.5x what an internest makes, go figure...

LOL yeah the ABA ought to come up with a certification/recert system for CRNAs and charge the **** out of them. There is no reason that money should go to whatever CRNA organization it currently goes to.

The other dirty little secret is that the orals are always held at some super expensive hotel or resort. Guess who pays to put all those examiners up in the lap of luxury for a week? Why do you think the testing fees are so high? This year the orals are at the Ritz-Carlton in Atlanta. Hotel rooms are $300 (this is steeply discounted from retail) and the hotel is an hour cab ride away from the airport.

Honestly, would anyone taking the orals care if this was at the Motel 6 next to the airport? We're not going there for some vacation, and I really resent the way-nicer-than-necessary accommodations for the examiners and the remote location necessitating higher transportation costs for the examinees.

Hotel rooms are $300 (this is steeply discounted from retail) and the hotel is an hour cab ride away from the airport.

Ridiculous, isn't it?

Anyone know of a cheaper place close by (though someone nicer than Motel 6)? I've got a reservation at the $295 rate but if there's no hot tub in the room to justify the price I'll probably cancel it.

I am staying at the Residence Inn - Buckhead Lenox Park at $159/night for a one bedroom suite. I pretty much always stay at the Residence Inn when I travel. I am renting a car and I am driving to the test.

There is a mall across the street from the Ritz-Carlton so I will park there in the morning and walk across the street. (I assume the RC will charge an arm and a leg for valet parking.)

Thank you ABA for not only charging me an arm and a leg for this test, and giving me the privilege of flying across the country to take it, but also for scheduling me on a F***ing Wednesday. Hello, I am flying from the west coast. Couldn't you at least schedule me on a Monday or Friday so I can preserve a little more of the pittance of vacation time that I am granted.

Flying in the night before and flying out the evening of the test so I only have to take 2 days of vacation time. At least I have accumulated enough miles from interviewing and putting things like the ABA exam on my mileage card to rack up enough miles for a first class ticket. :thumbup:

- pod

Board certification is always a financial scam. I said that to my program director (a name person in EM) when I was a resident, and she tried to say it wasn't. I gave her some numbers (which kind of surprised her) and she quickly changed her tone and agreed with me that, yeah, it's quite a scam.

"Bend over"

"Hi Ben, nice ta meetcha!"