Paying for Med-School through the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShinyDome19

Evil in the making...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since DO schools are so damn exspensive, I am interested in paying through one of the military programs. However, I have looked over the web pages for each of the branches and none of them say exactly the steps you have to take to enter one of the programs once you have been accepted...except to contact a medical recruiter...which is not really something I want to do until I have an acceptance in my hand (I have had bad experiences with military recruiters in the past).

So I am wondering if someone on here, who has been accepted into one of these programs, can give me a brief run down on how it goes? For instance, are these programs competitive? Do you need a specific GPA/MCAT or anything to qualify, or just an acceptance from a med school.

Thx.

Mods - Sorry, I know theres a forum for this, just thought I would post here to avoid the flames from all the pre-allopaths since I mentioned i am interested in D.O.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The general consensus (so I've read) is that it is not very competitive--they are having a hard time meeting their numbers. There is no minimum score. You need only have an acceptance and meet the physical requirements. They are the same physical requirements as anyone entering the military (there is no special weight chart for physicians).

I have not entered the program, but I plan on talking to a recruiter once I get accepted. You do need to realize that it is the military. Many pre-meds seem to think that you won't be deployed, or be expected to be a leader, or be told what to do/where to be. You might be deployed, you will be an O-3 (officer), and the military is a very special environment with lots of bureaucracy and very little logic. It has its advantages and its disadvantages--you will be fine as long as you are realistic. My husband was in the infantry, so I am intimately familiar with the worst side of the military, and am prepared to face that (hoping, distantly, that it will be better).

It has to be about more than money to you, is the bottom line. Serving the country must be one of your priorities. The military is not a "free ride," and it is not fun unless you come into it with the lowest expectations possible.

No worries about the forum thing. The rules aren't set in stone as to where you should post a question like this. This is a fine place for your question. We just prefer you don't post it in multiple places, which makes it harder for people to discuss. Carry on. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Since DO schools are so damn exspensive, I am interested in paying through one of the military programs. However, I have looked over the web pages for each of the branches and none of them say exactly the steps you have to take to enter one of the programs once you have been accepted...except to contact a medical recruiter...which is not really something I want to do until I have an acceptance in my hand (I have had bad experiences with military recruiters in the past).
The first step is always the recruiter...to get any paperwork rolling you must go through them. Some are less than pleasant but so far all the ones I have met with are tolerable. Waiting till you have an acceptance isnt bad either but please look into it more thoroughly before continuing. Military docs who are suffering through the commitment with bad attitudes are no good for patients.
Go to the Military Medicine forum under Residents and Attendings, find the HPSP thread, pros and cons sticky, and others, and just read.

So I am wondering if someone on here, who has been accepted into one of these programs, can give me a brief run down on how it goes? For instance, are these programs competitive? Do you need a specific GPA/MCAT or anything to qualify, or just an acceptance from a med school.
Brief run down...not competitive. I have been told some branches do fill spots though. Like the previous post said, there is no minimums. If you get accepted to medical school, MD or DO, and are physically fit for service then you are set. I have personally not seen physicians who are overweight, but I am told it happens. From what I have gathered from docs and my mom who is active duty in a med group, docs have to meet PT standards like everyone else, especially to get promoted.
Thx.

Mods - Sorry, I know theres a forum for this, just thought I would post here to avoid the flames from all the pre-allopaths since I mentioned i am interested in D.O.

No one in the milimed forum is going to attack you for going DO, one of the greatest physicians I have met is a DO in the military. They will go after you though for not knowing what youre getting into and excitedly talking about paying for medical school. While it seems like a good deal to a poor college student you need to know the worst case scenarios before you sign up. For example, once you complete medical school, if you choose to go HPSP (the scholarship that pays for your school, books, etc and gives you about a 1900 stipend every month) you owe the branch one year of service for each year in school, with a minimum of 3 years. During this commitment you will go where they send you, and will most likely get deployed, 6 months in the AF and Navy and 12 in the army are the norm.

Also you dont just get to pick your specialty, like everyone else you allpy and have to match but there are limited slots in the military residencies and you may not get your pick. You would either have to choose another specialty or serve as a GMO.

There is way too much to put here...just spend a week or so reading through the threads at your leisure...once youve read your fill and still have questions then the milimed forum is your best bet...good luck!

No, it isn't competetive but you stats should be decent and you need to try to get your packet in to the first board which meets in January.
Yes, you need to try to talk to docs that were either in or are in the military. If you meet with an HPSP recruiter he will give you a lot of contact info for current docs in the branch you are interested in and you can contact them.

You definitely need to know what you are getting in to though. Dont just make it about the money or you will be miserable.

There are military residencies available but you can match and go civilian if you dont get into a military one. But if you match civilian and military then the military may make you take theirs instead, depending on if all of their spots get filled or not. Also, the Navy has the highest chance of having you go GMO, which can delay your entry into a residency.

I got most of this info from a HPSP recruiter, because I was considering it, but now not so much, since I remember why I left the military in the first place....

I am considering the military route but I noticed there are two programs. For the Navy there is the HPSP and the FAP. Does anyone know the ups and downs of these programs? I believe FAP is for those who want to work as Reservists but I don't know more.

I am considering the military route but I noticed there are two programs. For the Navy there is the HPSP and the FAP. Does anyone know the ups and downs of these programs? I believe FAP is for those who want to work as Reservists but I don't know more.

Navy has 3 programs...HPSP like I mentioned above
HCSP, you are responsible for your own tuition but you earn E7 active duty pay and benefits through school, not a bad deal if you have a cheap state school...same commitment as HPSP
FAP, you go through medical school incurring loans and for residency you sign on, you do whatever residency you want with the military supplementing your residency income and helping you pay back med school loans and you owe 3 years after residency I believe.
All branches have HPSP and FAP, HCSP is unique to Navy. Again, like I told them OP, go read the military medicine forum, there you will get every detail, good and bad, and be able to speak with people currently in these programs, not just pre-DO who think we know what were talking about.

I didnt mean to make it sound like I am interested in the military route soley for monetary reasons. However, how one is going to pay for medical school is a big issue, especially since I am married to a wife who has significant school debt as well. I grew up in a military family (father was a West Point grad.), which settled down outside of Ft. Hood after leaving the military, so I am somewhat familiar with military lifestyle (atleast army life).
Thanks for giving me some feedback on the entry requirements and what not though. I will go check out the forums you suggested Teacherman84...appreciate the help everyone.

I'm doing the Army HPSP now so I can tell you about the process if you have specific questions. I got into it with a 3.0 27Q. It's not competitive but the spots can fill up quickly so don't wait until May to start the process. I personally know people who were told the Army ran out of 4 year scholarships so they would have to do a 3 or 3.5 year scholarship. The process is pretty simple and straightforward. You can apply to HPSP without an acceptance in hand, but you won't be accepted into HPSP without an acceptance. They will just put you on a hold list for the time being. You can also be accepted into the HPSP and still decline it. You have until the moment you sign the HPSP contract to decline it. Once you sign the contract when you are commissioned, then you are in.