Paying for Pod school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
submitted my deposit last week. Now looking at loans to pay for the whole shabang. My wife will be working while I'm in school and will hopefully make enough to cover most , if not all, our modest living expenses during this time.
I am planning for worst case scenario though and assuming that she won't bring home any bacon. How do you guys manage? I was on multiple scholarships for undergrad and had no debt as a result. I find it constitutionally difficult to accept that , as far as living expenses go, I'll be paying 5-8% interest on every calzone, movie ticket, gallon of gas, etc that I pay for while in school. Do you guys even spend money on leisurely activities? What's your view on this? Just looking for some perspective. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
submitted my deposit last week. Now looking at loans to pay for the whole shabang. My wife will be working while I'm in school and will hopefully make enough to cover most , if not all, our modest living expenses during this time.
I am planning for worst case scenario though and assuming that she won't bring home any bacon. How do you guys manage? I was on multiple scholarships for undergrad and had no debt as a result. I find it constitutionally difficult to accept that , as far as living expenses go, I'll be paying 5-8% interest on every calzone, movie ticket, gallon of gas, etc that I pay for while in school. Do you guys even spend money on leisurely activities? What's your view on this? Just looking for some perspective. Thanks.
I've been trying to figure out the same thing. It appears, for Scholl at least, that there is $1700/month factored in for living expenses. Not sure how it is everywhere else, but I imagine there is a similar figure. However, I swear to the powers that be that if they think they can put an interest charge on my calzones.....

Reactions: 1 users
Some people have money. Some people have rich families. Some people have working spouses. Some people live modestly on borrowed money. Others live like rockstars and then desperately count down the days to disbursement.

So yeah, people are borrowing money and doing with it as they please - clothes, toys, phones, bars, etc. Should you try and live frugally? Absolutely. Really question your expenses. Do you need cable TV. How often are you going out to eat. How much should an apartment cost. What are activities that are free.

We can go on about the above all day long. A really terrible way to lose money though is through a divorce. If you do the frugal thing you need to have your wife on the same page as you. She needs to understand what you are scrimping for. Your study schedule needs to include wife time (at least a night a week).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do the frugal thing you need to have your wife on the same page as you. She needs to understand what you are scrimping for. Your study schedule needs to include wife time (at least a night a week).

We've had this conversation and she gets it. Short term sacrifice, long term gain. For richer and for poorer, right? She also knows my debt is now her debt and vice verse. She's totally on board but, I'm hoping she can get a good job(s) down there to alleviate some of the stress. Part of my worry is that after a stressful week at school we can't sit down for a nice dinner out like we do now. I make a solid salary for a 26 year old, where we can dine out once a week comfortably, and our date nights are pretty important for our relationship.

Any current students utilizing or know of any government agencies that are willing to Pay for POD school in exchange for time served in that area after residency?

Any current students utilizing or know of any government agencies that are willing to Pay for POD school in exchange for time served in that area after residency?

Would be great if what you're describing exists. I know different military branches offer service deals where if you serve for X number of years they absorb your debt. But those programs are very limited for pods, as I understand it.

Would be great if what you're describing exists. I know different military branches offer service deals where if you serve for X number of years they absorb your debt. But those programs are very limited for pods, as I understand it.
Yeah, you're right. Hopefully we'll be able to see if there are any scholarships available for years 2-4 once we start and latch on to a few of those.

There is a navy scholarship that we received an email about for POD students here at Scholl. I didn't read the fine print, but I think its something along the lines of what you are seeking.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a navy scholarship that we received an email about for POD students here at Scholl. I didn't read the fine print, but I think its something along the lines of what you are seeking.

Both Navy and Army offer scholarships. However they are extremely competitive, require x amount of years for x years of assistance received (think it was 2 years for every 1 year received), and require a huge amount of paper work (which shouldn't deter you of course, just saying what I know).

Talked to an dental student who went this route with HPSP. Told me to have every single health documentation since the day I was born on hand and ready, and that slots specifically for health services such as dental/opto/pod were a lot less than MD/DO. And even then Navy was seeing a cut in funding so not a lot were being offered in the first place. There were some years where only 1-2 slots for dental/opto nationwide were being offered (can't speak for pods).

As for work after you get done with pod school and finish your x amount of years, a lot of them were usually at VA hospitals. Some were trying to ride it out to get the benefits after x amount of years.