PBPM chances from HYP straight out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveeatinuvas

Reaction score
Hi all! Long-time lurker, first time poster here. I'm a junior at Princeton (providing only for GPA context) with a ~3.85 GPA that hopefully will rise a touch by next fall. Scored 2390 on my SATs and am currently majoring in the social sciences. Have taken absolutely no STEM classes (except one engineering class for a requirement that I believe wouldn't count toward the BCPM GPA) but have recently decided for certain on an interest in medicine. No science research experience, though through our thesis requirements, etc. I will do/have already started doing social science research. I have what I believe is a convincing/compelling personal story for my interest in medicine, but know that's not good enough — I'll be trying to do clinical volunteering over the summer (in addition to a unique non-med internship) and into my senior year. Strong-ish extracurriculars, leadership, etc. but again nothing medically-related. Totally un-hooked.

I've been completely unable to find admitted/matriculated stats for top PBPM programs. I'm interested in Goucher, Bryn Mawr, UVA, Scripps, and maybe GW's new program. Do I have a case to be admitted to one of these? Every program says it's "competitive" but it's always difficult to tell if you just need to be solid or a total world-beater. I've spent an incredible amount of time on SDN and haven't been able to find much anecdotal admit evidence from students with similar profiles to mine, either. I don't want to take time off after undergrad to accrue clinical experience, etc.—I want to get started, and would pick a lower-ranked PBPM program over taking a year off and then trying to get into a higher-ranked one.

Do you think, with the clinical experience I hope to accrue this summer and into next school year (and before summer, if I can find anything), that I'll have a shot at a PBPM schools? Anything else I can do to strengthen my app? I'm not sure how much these programs care about Princeton pedigree, which is about all I have going for me. Please let me know—thanks SO much for any/all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You should have a decent shot based on your stats. I don't know how much they care about Princeton, but the career-changer programs are meant for people who didn't take the medical school prerequisites in undergrad and are looking to get into medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hi all! Long-time lurker, first time poster here. I'm a junior at Princeton (providing only for GPA context) with a ~3.85 GPA that hopefully will rise a touch by next fall. Scored 2390 on my SATs and am currently majoring in the social sciences. Have taken absolutely no STEM classes (except one engineering class for a requirement that I believe wouldn't count toward the BCPM GPA) but have recently decided for certain on an interest in medicine. No science research experience, though through our thesis requirements, etc. I will do/have already started doing social science research. I have what I believe is a convincing/compelling personal story for my interest in medicine, but know that's not good enough — I'll be trying to do clinical volunteering over the summer (in addition to a unique non-med internship) and into my senior year. Strong-ish extracurriculars, leadership, etc. but again nothing medically-related. Totally un-hooked.

I've been completely unable to find admitted/matriculated stats for top PBPM programs. I'm interested in Goucher, Bryn Mawr, UVA, Scripps, and maybe GW's new program. Do I have a case to be admitted to one of these? Every program says it's "competitive" but it's always difficult to tell if you just need to be solid or a total world-beater. I've spent an incredible amount of time on SDN and haven't been able to find much anecdotal admit evidence from students with similar profiles to mine, either. I don't want to take time off after undergrad to accrue clinical experience, etc.—I want to get started, and would pick a lower-ranked PBPM program over taking a year off and then trying to get into a higher-ranked one.

Do you think, with the clinical experience I hope to accrue this summer and into next school year (and before summer, if I can find anything), that I'll have a shot at a PBPM schools? Anything else I can do to strengthen my app? I'm not sure how much these programs care about Princeton pedigree, which is about all I have going for me. Please let me know—thanks SO much for any/all advice!

You are exactly the type of applicant programs like Goucher, BM, etc are looking for: career changers with a history of high academic achievement and high standardized test scores. These programs look for students with your profile because they have a high likelihood of matriculating to medical school - hence the 99% acceptance rate that they advertise and can justify charging high tuition rates. Are you a sure thing? Who knows. But you’ve got a good shot.