PC Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The problem: I need to get one for P1 at UF.
So we get a 12% discount on Dell, but a friend said I am better off with other offers on the web.
Does anybody have any advise on the matter? I don't want to spend too much. I basically use computer for word processing, email and web surfing.
I don't play games on my computer. I don't know anything about PCs.
Tell me what you like
what you hate...
what I should make sure I buy.
What to stay away from...
H E L P! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this, but here's the truth from a guy who made his living in computers for 12 years:

There are two manufacturers of processers: AMD and Intel

About 5 major manufacturers of hard drives: Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Fujitsu, Hitachi

Motherboard chipsets: Intel, Via, in just about everything.

All of the companies you have heard of DO NOT MAKE ANYTHING. Your laptop will be some collection of these corporations parts, and all of them fairly equal.

Bottom line: Go by price for the features you are looking for and a good service plan.

If you want a great deal and don't need quite so much support, you can be very happy with an E-machine laptop. If you want a bit more phone support etc go with Dell.

Also, look for reviews of specific model numbers online, especially if buying something overstock or used. All companies have models that had heat issues or something they worked out later. Some will be slightly quieter than others, that kind of thing. For the most part there is nothing really to just stay away from and very little reason to spend a lot more than you have to either.

You can get a great laptop that will far exceed your needs for under a grand at http://www.tigerdirect.com and they ship extremely quickly.

Dell's support supposedly has gone really downhill over the past 5 years.

I would go with a Toshiba laptop. Maybe tablet if you like those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check out places like Anandtech (http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40&entercat=y) or Fatwallet.com for deals on laptops. They are always posting specials for this kind of thing.

I agree with the previous poster about tigerdirect.com, we purchase nearly all of our computer stuff there.

Also, be sure to look at all the back to school ads. If you just need a basic laptop you should be able to get a pretty good deal closer to school time.

Don't buy the laptop for UF. You will not use it. At St. Pete, you can either go into the Collaborative Commons to use computers & A/V equipment free of charge, the Information Commons to use computers free of charge, or the library. When you give presentations, there will be a laptop set up already. You will not be able to use yours. I would invest in a thumb drive though, for ease of transferring your presentation.

They made us bring our laptops one day. We didn't use them. They just wanted to see how many people actually bought them.

If you really want one, though, St Pete campus has Dell's that they give you for free. You just need to write an essay on why you want one. When the semester is over, you give it back.

Thank you all so much!
I am definetly going to wait on this one...and I am thinking not to get one.
I have an Apple at home and serves me well for all my needs. I don't want to have to spend more money for something I will not use.
Than you...

usi said:
Thank you all so much!
I am definetly going to wait on this one...and I am thinking not to get one.
I have an Apple at home and serves me well for all my needs. I don't want to have to spend more money for something I will not use.
Than you...

Usi,

I use a Mac at home, too. But, UF's lectures will only run on a PC. They are coded specifically for Media Player and in the usual Microsoft fashion, Microsoft put some Windows specific routines into Media Player. They then release Media Player for other platforms and don't put in those routines. This makes certain videos unavailable for any platform except Windows.

UF did some experimenting last year and some of their higher resolution videos played on my Mac. Chances are you'll have to pick up a cheap PC for watching at home, or you can watch the lectures on campus since you're close.

If you do decide on dell, you can get really good coupons from www.gotapex.com (a deal site)

STAY AWAY from Gateway. My laptop is a piece of crap. In one year, I have sent it in 3 times and they haven't even fixed everything. Don't get gateway!!!!!!! My husband bought a dell at the same time as my gateway and he hasn't had one problem at all with it.

These are still consistent with my points. I have a friend that bought a new E-machine and the rear hinges cracked, completely cosmetic but frustrating just the same. I have another student who's sent their dell in twice for screen problems. My head pharmacist at CVS has a brand new Sony Vaio and it only recognizes the CD-Rom about one in 3 boots.

You can get unlucky or lucky, but it won't be by brand. Make sure you have a good service plan, period.

RxRob said:
You can get unlucky or lucky, but it won't be by brand. Make sure you have a good service plan, period.

That's true. Brand does not matter. I use a Toshiba and bought the extended warranty from them. It covered everything, even spilling soda in the keyboard. (not that I did that). My problems started when I downloaded Service Pack 2. There were conflicts. Microsoft had me uninstall it, but my laptop wasn't right. I had to wipe out everything and reinstall. What a pain.

the point of my post is that i sent it in 3 times to gateway and its still not fixed. gateways customer service sucks. they will mail it back to you super fast (1 week only), but the problems are still not fixed. they also make you pay $30 bucks each time you mail it in to mail it with insurance. Where I am from, there is not a gateway store or anything, so you have to mail it in to get it fixed. Imagine my frustration after paying to mail it in, not having it for a week, and then it still not being fixed.

also, if you want to extend your warranty for 1 year, which i did b/c my laptop is a pos, they made me buy the 2 year extended warranty and gave me some bs story about how i can't buy the one year warranty and have to buy the 2 year. even the upper managers stuck with this lame story.

my husbands in IT and he's done everything he can to get gateway to fix my laptop and not screw us on the warranty and shipping.

dgroulx said:
Don't buy the laptop for UF. You will not use it.

This is mostly true unless you don't have a desktop. You will still need something to watch lectures, complete assignments and whatnot. I prefer a desktop because you can get a much bigger monitor.

Thank you guys,
I think I will need the PC to watch those lectures.
Also I wont have to fight my daughter for computing time on the Mac.
I am thinking about Dell and I will use those cupons

Thank you sooo much again! I am terrified to buy anything used though...