PCAT 2012 revisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papatangeh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I met with the admissions advisor for harding COP, and she told me the 2012 PCAT is going to change a bit.

In the Chemistry section, they will remove 18% of gen chem and adding 18% of biochem

In the biology section, they will remove 15% of gen bio and add 15% of anatomy.

I don't know if this is completely true or not...but please update if you know anything about this.

I took the PCAT last september and did really bad, and will re retaking on january 11th....so I am hoping to get as much help on it.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Will these changes apply to the January 2012 PCAT? or are they changes made to the July 2012 PCAT and beyond? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)

Huh... So according to page 8 on that link they are getting rid of the Ecology,Plants, Algae and Fungi, and Animals category from bio and upping health/a&p. Can't say I blame em necessarily. Interesting and good to know.

Also, does anyone know a good review tool for the biochem part? I'm going to be taking that next fall, and I was planning on taking that July test during the summer.

edit: It also looks like they are changing up how the percentiles play out. "The new norms will reflect the performance of a more recent PCAT examinee population than the current norms. The new percentile ranks will be based on the performance of all first-time PCAT examinees who took the test from June 2007 through January 2011."

Great link. Thanks for the interesting reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh... So according to page 8 on that link they are getting rid of the Ecology,Plants, Algae and Fungi, and Animals category from bio and upping health/a&p. Can't say I blame em necessarily. Interesting and good to know.

Also, does anyone know a good review tool for the biochem part? I'm going to be taking that next fall, and I was planning on taking that July test during the summer.

:scared::scared: but according to the site, In biology "diversity of life forms" is not removed I got confused after reading new syllabus of pcat does "diversity of life forms" includes some portion of ecology,evolution,algae,fungi and all that stuff. And health is very big topic exactly what is included in health.
and please explain what is included in medicinal microbiology,microbial ecology i have never touch microbiology in my life.

Last edited:
:scared::scared: but according to the site, In biology "diversity of life forms" is not removed I got confused after reading new syllabus of pcat does "diversity of life forms" includes some portion of ecology,evolution,algae,fungi and all that stuff. And health is very big topic exactly what is included in health.
and please explain what is included in medicinal microbiology,microbial ecology i have never touch microbiology in my life.

I hadn't noticed that. There is actually a slight increase in diversity of lifeforms too. I guess what we need answered is what each of those sections entails. What they probably are doing is just lessening the amount of attention students have to pay towards the different animal and plant and fungal processes, while not removing it entirely. So rather than being a full 35% of the bio portion of the exam, animals and plants and everything else take up a cumulative 17% - about half of what it used to be.

Haha and if you add up all the percentages beneath the bold headings, it adds up to 101% :p

Woah..so where's a good place for me to study biochem basics from? I won't have taken biochem by July

Woah..so where's a good place for me to study biochem basics from? I won't have taken biochem by July

I'm presuming Kaplan (and similar) will release an updated study guide for the new format, and they'll probably give a decent coverage of biochem "basics."

Based on what's presented in the webinar, I don't know how indepth their biochem and A&P questions will go. We'll have to hear more from the first test-takers to figure out if you "need" to take those courses before taking the PCAT. Right now, these aren't pre-reqs at all programs, so this might cause a shake-up if you end up needing to actually take them, regardless of what school you're applying to.

I'm presuming Kaplan (and similar) will release an updated study guide for the new format, and they'll probably give a decent coverage of biochem "basics."

Based on what's presented in the webinar, I don't know how indepth their biochem and A&P questions will go. We'll have to hear more from the first test-takers to figure out if you "need" to take those courses before taking the PCAT. Right now, these aren't pre-reqs at all programs, so this might cause a shake-up if you end up needing to actually take them, regardless of what school you're applying to.
Well, I'm going to take biochem 1 and 2..but next fall:hungover:efinitely not before the july testing date. As for A&P, I'm currently studying the endocrine system in online videos..I don' think it should go too in-depth, right? I mean, know the basic functions of the systems, as in adrenal glands:epinephrine,norepinephrine,glucocorticoids,mineralocorticoids...not much. Anyways, does this new format take affect January or July?

This is completely ridiculous! Why would they include biochemistry when majority of the schools don't even require it? All the schools I plan on applying to do not require it therefore I'm not taking it. This puts me in an unfavorable situation!

Do any of you think the old versions of Dr.Collins won't be sufficient enough to study since there is new updates? Also do you know if he will update his study packet to include them?

Wow I'm really mad though because I already took the test before and did horrible, imagine with completely new material that I don't plan on taking by the June test!

Also do you know if the official PCAT practice test will include the changes??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is completely ridiculous! Why would they include biochemistry when majority of the schools don't even require it? All the schools I plan on applying to do not require it therefore I'm not taking it. This puts me in an unfavorable situation!

Do any of you think the old versions of Dr.Collins won't be sufficient enough to study since there is new updates? Also do you know if he will update his study packet to include them?

Wow I'm really mad though because I already took the test before and did horrible, imagine with completely new material that I don't plan on taking by the June test!

Also do you know if the official PCAT practice test will include the changes??

Calm down buddy. Remember they said they will add 18 % biochem to the CHEM section which I'm sure will be just some simple sugar structures, amino acid structures, as well as the few reactions of carbohydrates at the end of orgo II....nothing too bad, it's the stuff that we already learned at the end of orgo II. They wouldn't come and ask about anything in the real biochem like details on the kreb's cycle, calvin cycle...etc.

Calm down buddy. Remember they said they will add 18 % biochem to the CHEM section which I'm sure will be just some simple sugar structures, amino acid structures, as well as the few reactions of carbohydrates at the end of orgo II....nothing too bad, it's the stuff that we already learned at the end of orgo II. They wouldn't come and ask about anything in the real biochem like details on the kreb's cycle, calvin cycle...etc.

So would old Dr. Collin packets be sufficient enough to study with? Do you know if the new packets will include the biochemistry?

So would old Dr. Collin packets be sufficient enough to study with? Do you know if the new packets will include the biochemistry?

There are no new packages....what he does is update his material regularly after each PCAT exam (figure out why) and you can order that update for 20 dollars...it's usually couple of papers. I don't know what year are you using but I'm using the latest package with the latest update from the september PCAT.

To be honest, I can't trust Dr. Collin's CHEM section for the new biochem material. The only question in chemistry about biochem that I saw: What is the name of the above structure or amino acid...and it's always glycine (the simplest amino acid). That's for the questions...as for as the notes go, all I saw regarding biochem is simply the reaction of dehydration synthesis to make peptide bond and the structure of zwitterion ion....I would expect the 18 % biochem to involve more than that.

My best advice is to grab your text book and do a quick review about the major reactions of biochem as well as the structures of simple molecules like galactose mannose, glucose, fructose...etc.

There are no new packages....what he does is update his material regularly after each PCAT exam (figure out why) and you can order that update for 20 dollars...it's usually couple of papers. I don't know what year are you using but I'm using the latest package with the latest update from the september PCAT.

To be honest, I can't trust Dr. Collin's CHEM section for the new biochem material. The only question in chemistry about biochem that I saw: What is the name of the above structure or amino acid...and it's always glycine (the simplest amino acid). That's for the questions...as for as the notes go, all I saw regarding biochem is simply the reaction of dehydration synthesis to make peptide bond and the structure of zwitterion ion....I would expect the 18 % biochem to involve more than that.

My best advice is to grab your text book and do a quick review about the major reactions of biochem as well as the structures of simple molecules like galactose mannose, glucose, fructose...etc.

From what I've read on the above link, the biochem changes will occur from July 2012 PCAT therefore I would assume Dr. Collins would not really have any of the biochem material in the September 2011 update. I wanted to know if he would include the Biochem in his Jan updates? Is it worth it to buy a brand new one with Jan updates or should I try buying an older one such as the September edition for less from one of my friends?

From what I've read on the above link, the biochem changes will occur from July 2012 PCAT therefore I would assume Dr. Collins would not really have any of the biochem material in the September 2011 update. I wanted to know if he would include the Biochem in his Jan updates? Is it worth it to buy a brand new one with Jan updates or should I try buying an older one such as the September edition for less from one of my friends?

If you can get the september package from your friend, definitely do that. The update are not new notes...they are only about 2 or 3 papers of new questions. I don't think it's worth it to spend 330 dollars just to get the january update plus the older package that you would get from your friend any way. Plus, you can always buy the update from any one selling it if you want.

I will let you know if my january PCAT actually have a lot of questions on the biochem or not just so you have an idea of what the update of january might be like.

If you can get the september package from your friend, definitely do that. The update are not new notes...they are only about 2 or 3 papers of new questions. I don't think it's worth it to spend 330 dollars just to get the january update plus the older package that you would get from your friend any way. Plus, you can always buy the update from any one selling it if you want.

I will let you know if my january PCAT actually have a lot of questions on the biochem or not just so you have an idea of what the update of january might be like.

Okay great! Thank you so much for your help :) I will def PM you after the jan test for more feedback. Again thanks!

Okay great! Thank you so much for your help :) I will def PM you after the jan test for more feedback. Again thanks!

I will be registering for his course this year and I have last year's packet (from a friend) and I will let you know. That is probably later this year though.

let me know too! lol

So I took the PCAT today, did pretty good in sciences but not too good in the english sections. I got much better than what my school needs for admission. Any ways, the test did not have any extra biochem...it was just like Dr. Collin's notes. All I remember asking about biochem in the chem section was just one question, not more. It was pretty weird and I just randomly guessed, and I still got 95 % in chem lol.

Any ways, make sure you guys time yourself because the time is so limited in the exam that you need to be adapted to doing problems fast.

So we don't have to study plants and ecology at all?

bumping this.

That's the impression I got from reading the above.

I have a Dr. Collins studyguide from 2010 I believe and it has a decent amount of questions over plants/ecology/fungi/eco-systems/primary producers, etc... wondering if I need to worry about this for 2012 PCAT

I need to do exceptionally well on my PCATs...

to make up my low GPA (2.95 -majored in Biochemistry) I messed up in community college with a VERY low gpa, when moved away from home to a university, i learned how to effectively study, i made the time, but studying was hard :scared:. i was recommended by a genetics professor at university to get tested. I was diagnosed with dyslexia, a reading disorder, kinda brought my super hyper, optimistic, happy outlook on life-- a bit down. did some research and learned that some of the greatest minds had dyslexia. i quickly rose from it and still totally want to be a pharmacist with all my heart! it just makes me study even harder now!!

I have a large volume of volunteer hours, numerous leadership positions, volunteered at a pharmacy for 4 summers, i make monthly trips to mexico where i run a pharmacy at a free clinic (letter from the CEO), i have 2 yrs ochem research (letter from PI-also asistant dean of the chem/biochem dept.), i was offered a letter of rec from the Vice-chair of the college of natural science and math (also my Pchem professor) and the last letter from my amazing pharmacist.

I took a Kaplan course on-site in june, now studying more on my own everyday 7hrs/day 6days/wk until september. now that there are changes to the PCAT i am terrified i won't do well...im scared that because my numbers are so low, schools won't look at my extra curricular...

i am applying to 26 schools. i know, a lot.
also because i am taking it in sept, scores won't be up til oct, do you think that's too late??

advice??

I think that your experience will outweigh your GPA. My university GPA is a 3.1 and my community college GPA is a 4.0. I work in a pharmacy, am getting my tech certification, and try to volunteer at a non profit as much as I can. I am getting my associates of science and a bachelor of arts. As for my PCAT, I did the same kind of studying you did, not with Kaplan, but with Barrons, Learning Express and Princeton Review. I took it for the first time in July. I absolutely freaked out and didn't have my test scored. However, I feel like I over-prepared for it, and the questions seemed oddly easy. Basically, review, but don't psych yourself out!

Hey guys donot worry keep the hopes alive there isnot much biochem....just some stuructual questions

I need to do exceptionally well on my PCATs...

to make up my low GPA (2.95 -majored in Biochemistry) I messed up in community college with a VERY low gpa, when moved away from home to a university, i learned how to effectively study, i made the time, but studying was hard :scared:. i was recommended by a genetics professor at university to get tested. I was diagnosed with dyslexia, a reading disorder, kinda brought my super hyper, optimistic, happy outlook on life-- a bit down. did some research and learned that some of the greatest minds had dyslexia. i quickly rose from it and still totally want to be a pharmacist with all my heart! it just makes me study even harder now!!

I have a large volume of volunteer hours, numerous leadership positions, volunteered at a pharmacy for 4 summers, i make monthly trips to mexico where i run a pharmacy at a free clinic (letter from the CEO), i have 2 yrs ochem research (letter from PI-also asistant dean of the chem/biochem dept.), i was offered a letter of rec from the Vice-chair of the college of natural science and math (also my Pchem professor) and the last letter from my amazing pharmacist.

I took a Kaplan course on-site in june, now studying more on my own everyday 7hrs/day 6days/wk until september. now that there are changes to the PCAT i am terrified i won't do well...im scared that because my numbers are so low, schools won't look at my extra curricular...

i am applying to 26 schools. i know, a lot.
also because i am taking it in sept, scores won't be up til oct, do you think that's too late??

advice??

A good and best advice I can give you is not to go there expecting to make 90 above percencent, just go there to do your best and make sure not to freek out.....Freeaking out during the exam is not benefical as I have experienced it personally....every thing in the Pcat is modererate and you know atleast 90% of it because of education you recieved all these years.....so keep hopes alive and just go with the mind of doing your best.
;)

I think that your experience will outweigh your GPA. My university GPA is a 3.1 and my community college GPA is a 4.0. I work in a pharmacy, am getting my tech certification, and try to volunteer at a non profit as much as I can. I am getting my associates of science and a bachelor of arts. As for my PCAT, I did the same kind of studying you did, not with Kaplan, but with Barrons, Learning Express and Princeton Review. I took it for the first time in July. I absolutely freaked out and didn't have my test scored. However, I feel like I over-prepared for it, and the questions seemed oddly easy. Basically, review, but don't psych yourself out!

thanks everyone for the positive support! I will remain calm and focused

jlbaldiga996, thank you. Did you take the PCAT this past July? it seems like you studied from a variety of sources which made you feel over-prepared, i feel like i wont feel like that at all just using Kaplan. I do plan on taking the Pearson Practice tests but i am not sure if that is enough. Do you think you can explain how the chem and bio questions were like? I am even iffy about the verbal and writing section... i havent studied for it much because i've been focused on the sciences.

Thanks so much in advance!