PCAT books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gapagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely new to this, and reading the other threads about other review books have gotten me to panic. :( There's so many different views on the Kaplan and Barron's. :scared:

Should I get like 2010-2011 new edition books or does that not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I am completely new to this, and reading the other threads about other review books have gotten me to panic. :( There's so many different views on the Kaplan and Barron's. :scared:

Should I get like 2010-2011 new edition books or does that not matter?

It shouldn't matter in my opinion. The contents would very likely be identical to the older editions.

Barron is a big no no. Kaplan is overkilled in some parts like biology, and verbal. Get Dr. Collins' materials. Once you take his test w/o sweating, u're set to ace the test. Thanks bye

I second fuji's post. IMO, Dr. Collins' is the best way to prepare for the exam. His exams are strikingly similar in content and format to the real exam. Kaplan is great if you are interested in learning the material ... well, some of the material since it is great for Biology, but minimal for other sections. I'll be surprised if I don't score a composite in the mid-80s from studying with his material. *cowers in fear in case the PCAT gods read this post*

Members don't see this ad :)
I never used Dr Collins, so I have no opinion on it, but...

STAY AWAY FROM BARRONS! (I feel so strongly on the subject that it had to be capitalized). This is my opinion, and my opinion only, but Barrons truly sucks. My biggest gripe with the book is that the "exams" are too easy and will give you false confidence if you try to use them to gauge your performance.

different versions of Kaplan are pretty much the same. Do not need to get the lastest one if you want to save money.

I basically used KAPLAN (borrowed from the library) for math and gen chem. KAPLAN is not good for orgo tho.

I only used Kaplan to prepare for the PCAT (right after taking O-Chem) and I feel like it didn't help me in the Bio area at all. I would recommend the Audio Learn PCAT app. I put it on my iPod Touch and listened to it like a book-on-tape for a few weeks before the PCAT. Driving was boring but educational. :cool:

I used the Kaplan book. But I also had already taken Bio II, Chem II, Orgo mid-II, Physiology, Calc III, and various Gen-Ed courses. I think it helped me most in Verbal Ability. I thought that was going to be my weakest area and so I spent the most time on it. I ended up with a 97 in VA. And by all means I did not read it cover to cover, I loosely browsed the Bio, thumbed through the Chem, and skipped the Math altogether.
I'd recommend it, but I would not rely on it. One book smaller than any one of the 4 or 5 textbooks for the coursework you're supposed to know is not a substitute. I imagine you'd do fine with a used copy, but really, the current edition is $30; I think PharmCAS steals that much from me just for logging onto their site...

Being a graduate student and not having taken the pre-reqs for quite some time I had to purchase several books in order to "relearn" some of the material. Here is my take:

Kaplans: Buy this book. Great in most sections. Overkill in biology (read it lightly). Horrible in Math. Decent in Organic.

Barrons: Avoid this book like the plague.

Dr. Collins: Great resource if you can afford it.

Various purchasable practice tests: I worked through at least a dozen of these. My opinion is that they are great at pacing however the math seemed too easy (especially after taking the PCATS). Either purchase D. Collins or work your way through your calculus book up through basic integrals.