PCAT Score jumping 50

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I remember hearing that if you jumped 50 or more on your percentile for your PCAT scores they automatically cancel your score or something.

What if you did okay you're first time, did worse on the second, but did really good on the third. Like you're best score was less than a 50 jump from your first take but it's more than a 50 jump from your last one do they still cancel it or do they just go by the jump between your highest score and your latest score.

Sorry if that was all confusing...

Members don't see this ad.

no need to apologize. I completely understand your concerns.

To answer your question, invalidation of scores due to "50 point or more jump" applies to PCAT exams taken within a period of 13 months.

For example, if you took the 2008 Jan PCAT and scored 35 composite and for 2008 AUG PCAT, you scored above 85 composite, then you will be notified of the invalidation of your AUG PCAT score (your new scores will not be sent to anyone).

One has 60 days from the last PCAT date to appeal the invalidation by submitting documentation (e.g. transcripts etc..)

The appeal will be reviewed and given an outcome within 30 days.

Details of the process is explicity written in the following link:

http://pearsonassess.com/hai/images...IB_Sections/PCAT08_CIB_Final-After.pdf#page=1

What like what if you got a 50 on the July one, a 35 on the August one, and then a 85 on the October one.

It would be a 50+ jump if you compare it with the August one but if you compare it with the July one it isn't. So what would they do if something that this happened?

What like what if you got a 50 on the July one, a 35 on the August one, and then a 85 on the October one.

It would be a 50+ jump if you compare it with the August one but if you compare it with the July one it isn't. So what would they do if something that this happened?

It is my understanding that a 35 in Aug and 85 in Oct (taken in same year) are exams taken within 13 months and is a 50 point jump. More likely than not, Pearson will flag the jump in score as a questionable score increase and invalidate the Oct score.

If you feel there might be an unwritten exception to the rule, your best bet is to call Pearson and ask them yourself. And let us know what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
onedayiwill,

I am in the same boat as your are. I took the pcat twice and got <25% both times. this time I've spent more time to prepare and think I will do much better now come this stupid 50 point rule by pearson.

I've submitted my application to pharmcas and I really need to do well on pcat this time to get consider now even if I get a good score this oct schools will probably throw my application into the garbage because of this stupid rule. I am aiming for a high score but now if I do get good score it will be invalid and have to retake the pcat again. also, pearson wont refund and you have to pay more $ to retake the pcat. this is bs.

I wonder if it is even realistically possible to raise your score by 50 within 13 months. The verbal and reading comprehension score are hard to raise and would be a drag on the composite. I just don't see someone raising those two scores by that much. That would mean that you would have to raise the other sections by that much more to make up for it. I could see big improvements on bio and chem with lots of study but less so with math. If you are scoring so low on the math exam the first time around, I doubt you are going to knock it out of the park the next time. I think the difference between a really low math score and a really high one is math sense. You can study the concepts but unless you have that math sense you aren't going to get the great score. Likewise, if you do have math sense, you probably got a decent score in the first place. Maybe you missed all the calculus questions because you never took that course but you were racking up the points on the easier concepts.

I bet that Pearson put this rule into place because the chances of legitimately raising your score that much are extremely low.

no need to apologize. I completely understand your concerns.

To answer your question, invalidation of scores due to "50 point or more jump" applies to PCAT exams taken within a period of 13 months.

For example, if you took the 2008 Jan PCAT and scored 35 composite and for 2008 AUG PCAT, you scored above 85 composite, then you will be notified of the invalidation of your AUG PCAT score (your new scores will not be sent to anyone).

One has 60 days from the last PCAT date to appeal the invalidation by submitting documentation (e.g. transcripts etc..)

The appeal will be reviewed and given an outcome within 30 days.

Details of the process is explicity written in the following link:

http://pearsonassess.com/hai/images...IB_Sections/PCAT08_CIB_Final-After.pdf#page=1

That would be called cheating! :laugh:

I wonder if it is even realistically possible to raise your score by 50 within 13 months. The verbal and reading comprehension score are hard to raise and would be a drag on the composite. I just don't see someone raising those two scores by that much. That would mean that you would have to raise the other sections by that much more to make up for it. I could see big improvements on bio and chem with lots of study but less so with math. If you are scoring so low on the math exam the first time around, I doubt you are going to knock it out of the park the next time. I think the difference between a really low math score and a really high one is math sense. You can study the concepts but unless you have that math sense you aren't going to get the great score. Likewise, if you do have math sense, you probably got a decent score in the first place. Maybe you missed all the calculus questions because you never took that course but you were racking up the points on the easier concepts.

I bet that Pearson put this rule into place because the chances of legitimately raising your score that much are extremely low.

I agree. Raising your score more than 50 points in one try is extremely unrealistic. Why are your scores so low? Have you taken all the pre reqs? Were you nervous? I'd never try to make anyone feel bad but I don't understand how you can get less than a 30 even if you damn near guessed on every problem (unless you don't complete every problem which is a must even if they are blind guesses). I studied hard and raised my score significantly so if your determined don't give up I'd just focus on why you did poorly the first time.

So, has this ever happened to anyone? People on here have said not to take the "no score" option. What if someone wanted to take the PCAT, just to get the feel for it (full length, real setting, not the practice tests offered)? Apparently, if your score is significantly different the 2nd time, when given time to actually study, your score can be cancelled.... What exactly would one have to do to challege this, particularily if you didn't study the 1st time, and just used Kaplan or some other book the 2nd time?

Don't do that. If you just want practice, use books and such, or if you must, do the no score option. Even if you don't get your scores invalidated, it's not going to look good to schools to do poorly on your first PCAT test even if it's just practice to you. I'd say to never go into your test without having it firmly in your mind that it's for real, and being fully prepared, but I guess if you have $125 to blow you can do the no score thing.

I just wonder why anyone would want to spend $125 "just to practice the PCAT," when there are other ways to get said practice for less. Unless the person registered for the exam in advance before they found that they were underprepared, but then why did you register in the first place? If you're not ready for the exam, don't take it.

I just wonder why anyone would want to spend $125 "just to practice the PCAT," when there are other ways to get said practice for less. Unless the person registered for the exam in advance before they found that they were underprepared, but then why did you register in the first place? If you're not ready for the exam, don't take it.

I think it could be helpful if you have the $125 bucks to blow. You get the feel of the location, the procedures, and you get to see what is on the actual test. We know that they repeat questions so that could even be an advantage. Sure, you could try to duplicate the conditions as best you can at home but even Pearson's practice test is only an approximation. I had a difficult time simulating the actual testing because the questions were slow to load and you could only see one at a time. I like to scan and skip questions but that was difficult to do taking the test on the computer without eating up all my time.

How the hell can you provide documentation as to why you did so much better? Transcripts? Hardly proof. If you did nothing for one year but study the material, it is absolutely viable to jump 50 points. I just think being asked to provide documentation is funny.

If you think you might jump 50 points and I still have my doubts that people can do this, I bet it would be helpful to take the practice exam close to the time you retake the test. That way you can use it as evidence that you scored better. Presumably you would be getting somewhat similar scores on that as you would on the real thing and you could point to improvement and show that your scores are consistently better than last time.

The "50 point jump" rule, does that apply for individual subject percentiles, or merely the composite? I had a 79th percentile composite score the first time I took the PCAT back in June of 2008, but I only had a 27 percentile on Chemistry (I had not yet taken Organic Chemistry, and my General Chemistry teacher should not have been a teacher, he was terrible and I barely learned anything from him). However, I now have a full year of Organic under my belt from a terrific professor, and am anticipating receiving a substantially higher score for the Chemistry section. Should I be concerned about my scores being cancelled, or would it not matter because my composite score can't improve by more than 20 points?

The "50 point jump" rule, does that apply for individual subject percentiles, or merely the composite? I had a 79th percentile composite score the first time I took the PCAT back in June of 2008, but I only had a 27 percentile on Chemistry (I had not yet taken Organic Chemistry, and my General Chemistry teacher should not have been a teacher, he was terrible and I barely learned anything from him). However, I now have a full year of Organic under my belt from a terrific professor, and am anticipating receiving a substantially higher score for the Chemistry section. Should I be concerned about my scores being cancelled, or would it not matter because my composite score can't improve by more than 20 points?

I am pretty sure that it's your composite that can't jump 50 points. However, to confirm I would call or email Pearson.
From my understanding, you should be fine even if you get a 99 on Chemistry this time around :)

If they're going to implement that they should at least drop your pcat score if the composite drops by 50 the 2nd time around.

I recommend not taking the PCAT without preparing at all just to "see how it is"... There are practice exams offered from the website and those were the most helpful to get a feel for the actual PCAT. The first time I took it I was not aware of the 50 point jump policy and bombed it. However, I jumped up 49 points(composite) from the 1st time and the 4th time taking the exam. I took all 4 PCATs within the 13 month period and if I scored 1 point higher, my score would be invalidated. Just giving you guys a heads up!

what if you just took it in june and got a 33, and then took it in august and got a 60 or so? Has anyone got their score invalidated by a 20 or 30 point increase?

I believe it's only if you increase by 50 or above as the others have been talking about..