PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkles2309

Reaction score
My advisor told me that if I scored anything lower than the 20 percentile rank then pharmacy schools will look at that as a me being “immature” (and in other negative ways) even if I were to retake it and do better... is this true???

Members don't see this ad.

Nah. As long as you qualify for $200k+ in student loans you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
My advisor told me that if I scored anything lower than the 20 percentile rank then pharmacy schools will look at that as a me being “immature” (and in other negative ways) even if I were to retake it and do better... is this true???
If you get an interview at any school, they may ask you why you got the 20%

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really need an adviser to tell you that? That's just common sense. If you performed worse than 80% of all test takers, then that's bad.

............based on what the PCAT “should” be used for what are your own thoughts on this?

Retake it! Look to score anywhere between 50th and 99th. 20th percentile means you scores worse than 80% of PCAT test takers worldwide. That will not guarantee you a spot anywhere, no matter how "lenient" pharmacy schools were on accepting students nowadays. Good luck!

Do you really need an adviser to tell you that? That's just common sense. If you performed worse than 80% of all test takers, then that's bad.
OBVIOUISLY scoring below 20% is terrible. I guess I should rephrase my question for people like you. If I retake the exam will school still look at my first score and judge me from it??

Retake it! Look to score anywhere between 50th and 99th. 20th percentile means you scores worse than 80% of PCAT test takers worldwide. That will not guarantee you a spot anywhere, no matter how "lenient" pharmacy schools were on accepting students nowadays. Good luck!
I definitely plan on retaking it seeing that I wasn’t at all prepared. I guess what I’m trying to say is if I retake the exam will schools still look at my first score and judge me from it even if I score EXTREMELY better than it?

I definitely plan on retaking it seeing that I wasn’t at all prepared. I guess what I’m trying to say is if I retake the exam will schools still look at my first score and judge me from it even if I score EXTREMELY better than it?
They will look at it, but absolutely not judge you on it. [Most] Pharmacy schools actually expect students to make around a 40th-50th, but that depends on the pre-requisite requirements to apply. Don't let your first score define you. Pharmacy schools - or any applicant-based schools in general - LOVE seeing an upward slope in your grades. You can use it to your advantage on your personal statement, mentioning a life-changing experience for the better, and even your interview if you get lucky.

I noticed someone in the comment section mentioned that they might ask you about it in your interview, that is a possibility. If they ask you about it in your interview don't lie about it, just tell the truth. You were under-prepared and wanted to test the waters based off of your knowledge without studying, and it didn't work out. You can even take it a third and fourth time, but set your mind to make sure to score much, much higher on your second try. Save yourself lots of money and stress.

Reactions: 1 user
They will look at it, but absolutely not judge you on it. [Most] Pharmacy schools actually expect students to make around a 40th-50th, but that depends on the pre-requisite requirements to apply. Don't let your first score define you. Pharmacy schools - or any applicant-based schools in general - LOVE seeing an upward slope in your grades. You can use it to your advantage on your personal statement, mentioning a life-changing experience for the better, and even your interview if you get lucky.

I noticed someone in the comment section mentioned that they might ask you about it in your interview, that is a possibility. If they ask you about it in your interview don't lie about it, just tell the truth. You were under-prepared and wanted to test the waters based off of your knowledge without studying, and it didn't work out. You can even take it a third and fourth time, but set your mind to make sure to score much, much higher on your second try. Save yourself lots of money and stress.

I really appreciate you kind words and advice. I definitely plan on studying my BUTT off next time around and not underestimating the material that’s present on the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate you kind words and advice. I definitely plan on studying my BUTT off next time around and not underestimating the material that’s present on the exam.

I offer coaching for pharmacy students applying to schools. I'm a recent graduate who was heavily involved in many activities during school. I can review and edit resumes, help you market yourself to schools, and even conduct a few mock interviews so you are prepared. With this I can include a financial breakdown about the debt you will have afterward (and share mine) as this is very important and most students don't realize the impact it might have. Email me at mackattack027@gmail, I do not charge for a quick talk and overview although I do for some services.

So you know I'm legit go to NYS professional license search and look me up "Connor Mack" selecting pharmacist in the list (just google NYS license lookup)

My CV is attached

Attachments

• Connor CV Final.docx
    34.4 KB · Views: 74
OBVIOUISLY scoring below 20% is terrible. I guess I should rephrase my question for people like you. If I retake the exam will school still look at my first score and judge me from it??

Or maybe this is the reason why you scored as poorly as you did..

You never indicated that you took the PCAT or even what score you had - you just stated what your advisor told you.. and from what i could tell - threw out a hypothetical question..

FWIW; the pcat only measures how good you are at tests.. not as a student.. some of the best students are poor test takers and Vice versa.. just be prepared to speak about your results because that will be brought up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk