PCOM 1st year Financial Aid/ Scholarishps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SenseiDoc19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any scholarships that were available for first year students at PCOM. I know that there are several merit based ones for the subsequent years but i was not able to find many for first year students. I am from the Philadelphia area so i was wondering if anyone would know where would be a good place to look around for small scholarships. Also i know that PCOM requires you give the school your parents tax returns so that they can establish your financial aid package but my concern is that my parents do well for themselves however they are not helping with my med school tuition. Also what is the average financial aid that is given to each student?

Members don't see this ad.

My parents are middle-class, you could even say lower when compared to a lot of my classmates. It didn't help me so much. I would say if anyone got a needbased/academic scholarship it is usually less than $5000. There are a few big scholarships, but if you didn't get them with your acceptance you won't be getting them (AFAIK).

Do most students get any tuition relief in their finaicail aid package? i mean like a couple thousand? The reason being in the CIB it says the average financial aid per student is around 7000.

Did you look on the website for scholarships? Yeah there aren't a lot, but I believe they will let you know if you'll receive a merit based scholarship. You would probably have better luck trying to search out scholarships on your own.

As far as financial aid goes, I'm pretty sure I didn't get any tuition relief. I didn't have to submit my parents info because I'm married and have been living on my own for a few years now. My husband and I made ok money last year, but nothing extravagent and I didn't get any tuition relief. I haven't talked to any of my classmates about financial aid so I'm not sure how common or uncommon it is to get help.

Unfortunately debt is a necessary evil for most people going to medical school, so it's best to try and save money beforehand and not take out a lot of loans for living expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM PA financial aid office is a disaster when it comes to helping needy students.

That office really does PCOM a great disservice. And yes, I hope you're reading!! :mad:

I wouldn't count on getting anything. Some scholarships are available for a few thousand here and there while you're a student.... But plan as if it will be all on you.