PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can start the process from your bank's website.

What bannk did u use?

did use American Education Services?

Members don't see this ad.

so i'm guessing if I have no letter and nothing on nucleus regarding loans that my fasfa just hasn't gone through as fast as all of you.... right?

I used my credit union here in Austin as my GradPLUS lender. Pretty much every bank should have some sort of "Education Financing" thing on their website though.

Lulu: Look under "Banner". How long ago did you do FAFSA and whatnot?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used my credit union here in Austin as my GradPLUS lender. Pretty much every bank should have some sort of "Education Financing" thing on their website though.

Lulu: Look under "Banner". How long ago did you do FAFSA and whatnot?

what bank or lender for STAFFORD MPN?

any updates from anyone on the waitlist? As buffie told me, all I can do at this point is "wait wait and wait"

:luck::luck:

so i'm guessing if I have no letter and nothing on nucleus regarding loans that my fasfa just hasn't gone through as fast as all of you.... right?

I don't have anything on nucleus under banner too.

when I called, I was told to do MPN before they can work on my award letter. Only thing they need for me is MPN.

any updates from anyone on the waitlist? As buffie told me, all I can do at this point is "wait wait and wait"

:luck::luck:

I am on MCG's waitlist. So If they take me off the waitlist, there you go.
As per postings on this website, people with MCAT less than me have been taken offf the list this year. Hence, my chances look slim.

YOU CAN KEEP HOPE.

Hi!

I don't like not know what I'm supposed to be waiting for so can anyone tell me more about this financial aid award letter? Just a few days ago, my FA award got posted on Banner but I haven't received the actual award letter yet.

Will the letter have something for me to accept and return? Is the Master Promissory Note something I receive with the award letter and sign after finding a lender?

Thanks!

If you want to decline some of your award, you will make note of it on your award letter and send it in. If you are accepting the entire award, then you will do nothing.

It was a few weeks after the award showed up on Banner before I got a letter.

There are also instructions with your award letter about how to do your MPN.

So I should wait for everything to show up on banner before figuring out the MPN thing? I haven't seen anything on banner yet about the award amount either at this point...

If you want to decline some of your award, you will make note of it on your award letter and send it in. If you are accepting the entire award, then you will do nothing.

It was a few weeks after the award showed up on Banner before I got a letter.

There are also instructions with your award letter about how to do your MPN.

Thanks. My goodness, most of my questions have been answered by people on this forum! I called the FA office in Philly this morning and the lady told me that it was a very busy time for them and that she would like it better if I called in about a week...I'm so sorry to have inconvenienced her.

Members don't see this ad :)
my mom called earlier today, I'm at a friends house after graduating last week. they sent the letter ot my house. it was actually dated for the 15th but arrived today. :) :) (sorry I'm on my phone)

my mom called earlier today, I'm at a friends house after graduating last week. they sent the letter ot my house. it was actually dated for the 15th but arrived today. :) :) (sorry I'm on my phone)

Congrats! Movement in the list... 'tis good. :)

I'm starting to expand my options and getting ready to submit my AACOMAS 2009 and am growing more interested in this program. The big appeal to me is that my dear friend and 2 goddaughters (now almost 16 and 15yo) moved to Gwinnett County shortly after I moved from Oregon to SC 2 years ago (duh, to be closer to them... :mad: ) Technically they're in Snellville. I've visited a few times and like the area--heck, it's a thriving metropolis compared to the semi-rural part of SC I'm in (at least there's a Starbucks).
I'm intrigued by the DO/PhD Health Policy option, although it looks like so far that's not offered at the GA campus, but I may have read that wrong.
For those of you who are there, or planning to matriculate, what was it about the program that really snared you?
Thanks in advance
Lisa

The #1 selling point for me was small class size. It was a huge factor.

Agree, although we have different ideas of "small"...I was one of 18 in my PA class :eek: Definitely no room to hide there.
I'm for sure more excited about a class of 80 than I am a class of 200 though.
More?
thanks in advance
L.

The #1 selling point for me was small class size. It was a huge factor.

Did you give up on GA-PCOM? Or are you waiting to hear too?

congrats man! glad it worked out for you. have fun getting ready for the next 3 months! I just moved to gwinnett today. wow, im beat, but love our new house and glad to see all the fruits of my labor getting this place ready. anyways, go celebrate!

is anyone looking for a roommate? Im going to be starting the masters program and Im from Fl and I need a roommate. Im 23 female, really nice, I have a sweet dog. Let me know and I can give you my myspace to see if we match up :)

class of 2012: where is everyone living? I'm going up in a week or 2 to checkout appts, it'd be nice to live near everyone else ;)

or if anyone is lookin for a roommate, I'm a 22yr old male, shoot me a PM

How have you shown your interest to GA-PCOM? LOI's? more LOR? Phone calls? Emails?

Any info would be helpful.

Well I sent them an e-mail and bugged them a bit about the waiting list. I only got that previously stated 20% figure for matriculation. Main campus was more vague in their e-mail. It also took about ~1.5 weeks to get responses.

After my interview I sent in a thank you letter and something that would resemble a LOI.

But that inside contact is due to my recommendation being written by a physician whom students rotate with from the school. All I get is a: "He'll get in." Anxiety and wariness leads me to be less trusting of anything at the moment until I can get some concrete evidence.

Like all of us on the waiting list, its like being aimlessly lost in the desert...seeing help in the distance, but not knowing if its a mirage. Depressing really.

Good luck to everyone.

[Edit: Just sent an e-mail to Buffie to find out when we can hear from them about our status. Will update when I get something.]

Well, the e-mail came back and said that the list moves, up until school starts. :( I would have thought that we might have heard until mid-to-late June.

Good luck to all those waiting thus far.

::Off to re-apply for next cycle just in case::

Well, the e-mail came back and said that the list moves, up until school starts. :( I would have thought that we might have heard until mid-to-late June.

Good luck to all those waiting thus far.

::Off to re-apply for next cycle just in case::

keep your hopes up, I got in off the waitlist 1.5weeks ago. Best of luck and keep in contact with the school, it helped me get in (I'm assuming ;))

Hi everyone !
I am planning to travel overseas during Winter Break ( after school starts:D)..Do you think it is a good idea?? I will not have access to my study material the whole Break..I am asking because I am not sure when the exams are for PCOM-GA! some schools have exams after the Winter Break:(
So, any ideas??:confused:

I'm living at an apartment 4.4 miles from school, Madison at River Sound! check it out! the lady also told me that a lot of other students in different years live there also.

I'm living at an apartment 4.4 miles from school, Madison at River Sound! check it out! the lady also told me that a lot of other students in different years live there also.

what is included in the rent and in the apartment?

yeah I'd like to know as well. I'm flying up on wednesday with my mom (she's a real estate broker hehe) to checkout apts. My short list includes MAdison at river sound, Sugar Loaf, and Colonial grand at McGinnis Ferry.

anything else I shohuld checkout within 5mi of the school? Looking for something decent and Cheap. I'm used to living in ****ty college dorms so anything is a step up at this point :rolleyes:

i'm not sure exactly what you mean? amenities? there's a pool, workout, running path...

i'm not sure exactly what you mean? amenities? there's a pool, workout, running path...

Included in the rent: highspeed internet, phone, cable, parking, etc???

Included in the apartment: bed, fridge,microwave, etc..?

If something goes wrong, will they arrange somebody to fix or you have to find it?

The website has a ton of information
For rent, parking is included, hardly any apartments that i looked at had a microwave so no microwave. ceiling fans in all rooms are included and already installed which was great. phone is for sure not included, cable and internet aren't either but you can make sure of that on the website..

48 hour maintenance is available, no furniture, no bed is there, fridge yes..

http://www.equityapartments.com/market/brochure.aspx?page=overview&PropID=575

does anyone know where I should send my final transcripts? Stilllll don't have my binder and really need to get started on things. Thanks

does anyone know where I should send my final transcripts? Stilllll don't have my binder and really need to get started on things. Thanks

i just looked in my binder and it says send it to the PCOM office of admissions. that would be:
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Office of Admissions
4170 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131

if you havent already, do your background check at precheck.com-its like 50 bucks. have it sent to the philly office.

you cant do the medical questionnaire if you dont have the binder, and you need to do financial aid if you have gotten that paperwork in.
hollar if i can help.

i just looked in my binder and it says send it to the PCOM office of admissions. that would be:
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Office of Admissions
4170 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131

if you havent already, do your background check at precheck.com-its like 50 bucks. have it sent to the philly office.

you cant do the medical questionnaire if you dont have the binder, and you need to do financial aid if you have gotten that paperwork in.
hollar if i can help.

aight cool thanks. I got a separate letter about the pre-check thing and did that online already. I'll go ahead and order transcripts now. By financial aid you mean FAFSA stuff on the FAFSA website right? anything else I can do while I'm waiting? I;m goin to Europe in a few weeks and want to get most of it done before then if possible... :rolleyes:

theres actually more financial aid paperwork that the school needs to send you. I think that its about 4 or 5 forms, really easy to fill out. they will also ask for a copy of your parents tax returns, so it would be wise to get a copy of those. maybe you could call the office and see if they can send you a digital copy of the paperwork you need so that you can work on everything faster so your trip doesnt come into play.

i called georgia campus and they told me to send it to georgia campus.

Last edited:
theres no point in submitting ur parents tax return... thats only for the needs-based grants and they already gave those out. they are not giving out grants anymore.

and i sent my transcripts to the philly campus instead of the ga campus. doesnt that get kind of confusing at times?

theres actually more financial aid paperwork that the school needs to send you. I think that its about 4 or 5 forms, really easy to fill out. they will also ask for a copy of your parents tax returns, so it would be wise to get a copy of those. maybe you could call the office and see if they can send you a digital copy of the paperwork you need so that you can work on everything faster so your trip doesnt come into play.

I've already emailed Buffie and the financial aid person at philly atleast 3x each about getting forms via email or fax since I have no binder, neither responded... :confused:

I've already emailed Buffie and the financial aid person at philly atleast 3x each about getting forms via email or fax since I have no binder, neither responded... :confused:

im sorry = (
i too have been ignored many times by PCOM staff. ill hit u up w/ a private message.

do many students live in 5375 Sugarloaf or Colonial grand at McGinnis Ferry? I'm trying to decide between these two and would love some opinions on the commute time during the school season, or any other info you could share. Just looking at the cheapest 1br/1bath that each have

thanks

ps: Texas, I saw a Grady ambulance today while visiting ATL to look at apartments and thought of you becase I remembered reading that you wanted to volunteer there. That's normal, right? ;)

do many students live in 5375 Sugarloaf or Colonial grand at McGinnis Ferry? I'm trying to decide between these two and would love some opinions on the commute time during the school season, or any other info you could share. Just looking at the cheapest 1br/1bath that each have

thanks

ps: Texas, I saw a Grady ambulance today while visiting ATL to look at apartments and thought of you becase I remembered reading that you wanted to volunteer there. That's normal, right? ;)

5375 sugarloaf apts are really nice and it's close to school but I have heard about the crime issues so I don't think I am going to live there. The reserve at sugarloaf apts are really nice as well but it's more expensive.

I would not live in McGinnis Ferry. Traffic on satellite would not be pleasant .

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Lawrenceville-5375-Sugarloaf.html

I think I'm going to try and volunteer there one shift a week, probably at night, on weekends. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure they'll understand if I have to bail. But that sort of thing is theraputic for me. Its only a few hours a week, so I don't think it will hold me back much. It will be a nice break. Plus, with all their financial problems, I'm sure they'd be happy to have any help they can get.

5375 sugarloaf apts are really nice and it's close to school but I have heard about the crime issues so I don't think I am going to live there. The reserve at sugarloaf apts are really nice as well but it's more expensive.

I would not live in McGinnis Ferry. Traffic on satellite would not be pleasant .

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Lawrenceville-5375-Sugarloaf.html

wow didn't realize the crime was so bad! screw sugarloaf! anything else to consider beside colonial grand mcginnis ferry and madison at river sound? I wanted to get a place both near to the school and that has other pcom students living there (and cheap!) suggestions to checkout tmrw?

thanks

hey do any older pcomers remember when their white coat ceremony was?? my brother and his fiance are trying to plan their engagement party in october and don't want it to be the same weekend as the ceremony!! can anyone fill me in?!:):D since they havn't posted the date yet!;)