PCOM- Atlanta, Georgia Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Texas, which address did you send your letter of intent to?

Members don't see this ad.

if it helps, at the luncheon Saturday they said there were still about 8 spots left and that they expected that number to increase after the April 15th deposit deadline. Good luck to those waiting. I got my big deposit in the mail today. It stings but feels good at the same time.

i just declined today. so that makes at least 9. :)

Drjds: I think I faxed it. Don't remember the number, but I remember I had to dig for it. The adcom was meeting like a week after my interview, so I had to get it in quick. I went to 3 other schools that next week, and then I was convinced I wanted to go to GA-PCOM, so I sent the letter.

It turned out that the adcom had met earlier than they said they would, and my acceptance was in the mailbox when I got back from my KCOM/KCUMB/DMU trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tex, did you send it to the GA campus or the main campus?

Technology requirement at GA-PCOM?

When I asked the student tour guide as to what kind of technological equipment is needed, she had stated that a laptop that can run Microsoft Office applications (especially powerpoint) would be sufficient. I suggested a tablet, and her response was that it was expensive and overkill, but you get what will help you best with your studies. Paper handouts are given out before/at the beginning of class (although they had expressed some delays in students getting handouts at times). And seeming that there is a recording of class lectures for future playback and review, it would probably be best to have sufficient graphical power that can smoothly play video files. I especially love the unlimited printing in that computer lab.

How long did it take you guys to get a response after your interviews? A student aide said 4-6 weeks....does that hold true for most everyone?

for those waiting to hear back, I interviewed the last week of FEBRUARY and still have not heard back, so I would expect a pretty good wait unfortunately. good luck to everyone.

to those waiting, I would venture to say dont expect to hear anything until after the 15th. After then the adcom will know exactly how many seats are still available and can send out a final batch of acceptances before moving to waitlist. Being so close to the deposit deadline, that makes the most sense. Hold tight til then and good luck.

I haven't recieved my binder yet.

Can any one post the total cost per year?
If possible, please break it down into tuition fees, supplies, books, etc..

Thank You

I haven't recieved my binder yet either MDpride.

I called up the Philly office today and they said as soon as they get your student payment (250 + 2000) they send out a binder.

I sent in my payment around 4/1 and they just recieved it on the 7th of April. That same day they sent out my binder...or so they claimed they did...so I should be getting it soon and if I get it before you, then I'll def. let you know of the breakdown!:)

tuition and fees 36,429 (estimated- the true figure will be published in the spring of 08)
books and supplies 1800**
instruments & equipment 1000**
class dues 175
health insurance 2300
total = $41,704

** students may spend more or less on books, supplies, instruments, and equipment than listed.

health insurance - u dont have to buy theirs... u can buy your own.

you are also eligible for up to 8k in grants... if you submit a copy your/your parents income tax return. its all based on NEED.

I haven't recieved my binder yet either MDpride.

I called up the Philly office today and they said as soon as they get your student payment (250 + 2000) they send out a binder.

I sent in my payment around 4/1 and they just recieved it on the 7th of April. That same day they sent out my binder...or so they claimed they did...so I should be getting it soon and if I get it before you, then I'll def. let you know of the breakdown!:)

same here--- I sent in my payment around 4/1 and they just recieved it on the 7th of April. They recieved 2000 usd yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi and congrats to the class of 2012. I just paid my deposit :(

I was looking to get a group together to look into renting a house/apartment. We could be roomies. Since I live far away I can't actually check out apartments, but I will be looking online to see what is a available. I'm sure many of you are in the same predicament. Maybe we can hook up with someone who is in the area. Just PM me or E-mail me at [email protected], and lets see if we can get something going.

I am wondering how many spots will open up after April 15th. I still need to pay my $2000 deposit.
Good luck to those of you who have not heard back yet.

I am wondering how many spots will open up after April 15th. I still need to pay my $2000 deposit.
Good luck to those of you who have not heard back yet.

plz don't send it!

kthx! :)

I interviewed there last year...I went to UGA and lived 5 minutes from the campus, so it would have been conveniant.

I liked the interview experience on the whole. It was a small interview group, like 4 of us, and practically half of the student body stepped in to talk to us...which was nice. And for a single building medical school, it was the nicest I had interviewed at. They really did a number on that building to get it to that point.

Also, I worked at Gwinnett Medical for many years, and got to see the very first rotations of the school come through my ER...PCOM became the first medical school to open up rotations there...which is great for you guys because the hospital is 10 minutes away.

It is the second busiest ER in the state next to Grady, and was in the process of opening up other rotations on site.

I ended up deciding to go elsewhere, but I made friends with a few 3rd years from there and keep in touch with them. They seem to be happy with the rotation sites...not bad for being the 1st group to go through many sites.

If I accept finaid package from PCOM, is it possible to change school ,incase I get off MCG waitlist?

Is accepting FINAID package same as paying tuition?

When can college take money from FINAID toward tuition?

Hey anyone who is a First-Year... I was wondering the date/week of your finals? My brother is getting married in April of 2009 and I was curious as to how close finals were to his big day :)

Anybody dropped out (not sent the deposit in)?

Any received "Precheck" letter in mail?

What's a "precheck" letter? I did receive one that said they received my deposit...

are you talking about the background check? I havent received that yet, but it should be coming in soon. I saw that my 2000 dollars is missing from my bank account, so i guess they got it :)

precheck /backgrnd check letter is enclosed with $2000 acknowledgement envelope.

precheck /backgrnd check letter is enclosed with $2000 acknowledgement envelope.

Got the letter with the background check info today. Will take care of that soon. More transcript requests too...bahhh

Counting down the days until I don't have to work anymore.

Obviously, I'll still be working, but it will be for myself, and it will be a challenge.

I like my jobs, but they are kind of mindless, and not very challenging. I'm better when I know I always have to be on my toes.

Counting down the days until I don't have to work anymore.

Obviously, I'll still be working, but it will be for myself, and it will be a challenge.

I like my jobs, but they are kind of mindless, and not very challenging. I'm better when I know I always have to be on my toes.

24 days left of teaching middle schoolers for me.....cant wait to be done working. I still have 19 days of sick leave, but since i cant use them all, im gonna take a day off every week for the rest of my time. That means no work tomorrow. nice!

I need to look into my options for cashing out my PTO at the hospital. I can use that money for my move. I will probably have 70-80 hours accumulated.

Yeah, i asked if i could cash out my days but they wont let you unless you've worked over 20 years or something. I cant even give the days to my wife since she teaches too...lame. I guess I need to use as many as I can. I'm sure the extra cash you get will be useful for the move. Did you get the letter about precheck and how it costs $50 to have a company tell PCOM that we're not criminals? Thats robbery! Matriculating is expensive...2000 plus 346 for a chest x-ray (i'm TB exposed, and insurance wont cover the cost of the xray), i got my physical for free, 50 for background check, 20 or so for transcripts, the bills keep coming :/

I like how TX residents have the highest cost for background checks. I guess we have more laws to break here.

If we were an anarchist society, this would be unnecessary.

Hey anyone who is a First-Year... I was wondering the date/week of your finals? My brother is getting married in April of 2009 and I was curious as to how close finals were to his big day :)

I'm not a first year, but I can help answer your question :) This week and Monday of next week the first years are taking their mid-terms. Finals aren't until the end of May/early June. Hope this helps!

I haven't received my binder yet.:mad:

You guys think I can get in with a 2.0 and a 35 MCAT score?

There's something you don't see every day.

Probably not.

Hi! I'm in the process of going down our "checklists"--just got my 2nd dose of hep b yesterday.

I have a few questions about financial aid. (I just called the school but fin aid was in a meeting) Were we supposed to receive info or a packet from the financial aid office? If you received a packet, what all was included it in? Also, was this before and/or after you submitted your fafsa? I'm wanting to choose a lender but I'm not sure if I should be waiting for info from the school first.

gracias!

anyone here back from interview yet? I interviewed end of Feb. and STILL nothing!! Sent in a letter, called couple weeks ago, and was supposed to hear back soon after that but still nothing :(

hate waiting!!

i haven't heard anything yet either. i interviewed on March 26th

Just a week ago was the deadline for the 2 G's. They're probably waiting a little longer to see if deposits from any stragglers come in, and then they're going to figure out how many spots they can offer, sift through what they've got on the table, and start accepting again.

NO BINDERS YET

But received FINANCIAL AID pckg yesterday.

i already submitted my FAFSA in Feb. before I got interview.

You have to fill two Entrance related form and personal info form which include what program and what year you applying for and more.

They require you to submit PHOTOCOPY of PARENTS TAX if you wann get considered for INSTITUTIONAL loan/grant.

i haven't heard anything yet either. i interviewed on March 26th

Hey girl, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard back yet either! I wonder if any of the guys from our interview day have. Didn't they say if you didn't hear back in 4 weeks then you should call?

NO BINDERS YET

But received FINANCIAL AID pckg yesterday.

i already submitted my FAFSA in Feb. before I got interview.

You have to fill two Entrance related form and personal info form which include what program and what year you applying for and more.

They require you to submit PHOTOCOPY of PARENTS TAX if you wann get considered for INSTITUTIONAL loan/grant.

Thanks for the help! I finally got a hold of some financial aid people this morning. They said they'll send a packet out to me.

I interviewed back in October and it was really exciting to receive the binder (early Feb). The only thing that you might really need in that binder is the "Medical History Questionnaire"--you need all your immunizations up-to-date, get a physical and about 5 blood titers to prove immunity.

*Just a side-note: I went to my County Health Department to get my shots for $10 a pop. Not too shabby...

Hey girl, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard back yet either! I wonder if any of the guys from our interview day have. Didn't they say if you didn't hear back in 4 weeks then you should call?
i have emailed buffie but have not recieved a response. i think that they said 4-6 weeks. let me know if you hear anything

Just a week ago was the deadline for the 2 G's. They're probably waiting a little longer to see if deposits from any stragglers come in, and then they're going to figure out how many spots they can offer, sift through what they've got on the table, and start accepting again.

ya thanks man, thats what Buffie told me a few weeks ago. Just hoping for some good news soon

I also interviewed in Feb. and have yet to hear anything back. I called admissions and they said they would make decisions at the end of this month..:confused: Hopefully no one pays the deposit lol :) jk

Crunch time, baby! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Hey if any of you have already been accepted and are looking for housing I have a room in my house a few miles from school that i am looking to rent out. I am in the 2009 class and will be traveling for a good deal my last year. I have plenty of space and all of the essentials. Let me know if you are interested.

Ouch!!! I think it was being a gymnastics coach that gave it away for me. why do people do stupid stuff on company owned computers? ??? dont they watch dateline or the news?