PCOM Biomedical Science Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buzzy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was admitted to Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine's Biomedical Sciences Program, which begins next week. I'm applying to DO schools for 2001, and want to know how competitively the program is viewed by admissions committees. I'm also wondering whether top students are given preference to PCOM's DO program after a year, since the courses are very similar to the first year students. Is this program worth going to in order to gain admission to med school next year? My other option is to work full time in an unrelated field, manage to fit in a grad course or two part-time and hope for the best with the admissions process. Any advise from current PCOM students or graduates would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me know what you hear. I was accepted to (late) and am not sure if this would be good for me. Anyone know???

my personal feeling is that this program was a waste of time and money..i dropped out after one quarter and this was 96..

this program at the core is a money maker only..they will interview the ENTIRE masters class and basically those that rank in the top 10-15% will be offered admission, more if it seems like LECOM is picking up more students than PCOM..in fact, the bottom quarter of the class all got admitted to LECOM i think..

they told us that in order to be offered and interview and admission you needed to maintain a 95% or better GPA on a straight scale..so if you get that far, you are a stud and you deserve to be admitted--but still, some were not.

the coursework is not very challenging and the professors did not really seem to want to be there after hours lecturing to a bunch of paranoid schizophrenid competative wanna be med schoolers who each had their own problems.

furthermore, think of what the masters degree buys you if you for some reason need to go through the 2 yrs...NOTHING..absolutely nothing but maybe a $12/hr job in a lab instead of the $6/hr bottle washer..it is not that great of a resume booster and does not really prepare you for much..

even worse, when you are admitted to PCOM and attend you will not be given credit for those first year courses that you completed IN FULL and did well above the mean in.

the idea of the program is good..if you need to improve your grade point, go for it..however, if you are simply seeking admission to PCOM, i do not think your chances are so much better unless you work hard to make connections and brown-nose the hell out of someone who can get you in there.. there were plenty in my class who did research with faculty in order to accomplish the goal and still were denied.

if you have been denied admission, research why--call up and ask..you are entitled to that...

if you have bad mcats but already a phenomenol gpa i don't think this prgm helps much..in theory it should--you prove you can do the work..but many believe that the two don't correlate..

i sound bitter, but i am for wasting four grand a quarter on a pipe dream that wasn;t going to come true..i was admitted to PCOM but after my experience with the Masters program opted for CCOM which I feel has a stronger didactic and clinical program anyway.

hahnemann offers a similar program and i have heard that it is the same bs..just about the only masters that i have heard of that almost guarantees admission is the one at NOVA which i am not sure even exists anymore..

FYI, CCOM is starting a similar program based on the PCOM model to bring in extra funds..they do not intend to pull out significant admissions from that program either...

the whole thing plays on your paranoia..do what you must, but my advice would be to sit tight and reapply...app volume is still down..shore up the holes in your app ..only if they are in gpa would i do this program..

good luck