PCOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UltimateDO

Goin' ho ain't easy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets see if we can get some names together and answer some questions. Look forward to meeting everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm ready to go! just got the physical form in the mail, i thought the undergrad physical was intense, that was nothing compared to this! didn't think about getting every lab test possible b/c of clinicals and rotations. makes sense and it's good they do it, but i'm sure i'll be sick of getting stuck with needles, piss samples, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
good think i'm getting mine done at my FP!

Anyone plan on having their vacation between July 16 and Orientation? This July 6-16 class is ruining one of my last summers :p

I am planning on working right up til Aug. 6, Orientation week is going to be my first break this year :eek: I am however in the area if anyone moving early or doing summer start wants to meet up for a Phils game or something of the like.

how 'bout those phils, did that game last night upset anybody else???

I am actually an Orioles fan and WIP is so much more entertaining when the Philly teams lose so last nights game didn't break my heart. Is anyone doing the summer biochem program? I will be in and around school in June/July (after I move) for Ultimate games :) and to study for the histo lab placeout exam :( if anyone is interested in joining me.

Hey, guys

I might be a fellow student of yours next year...I want to go to my hometown school but i am an alternate there and I have been offered admission to PCOM.

Any of you doing the summer program?...I have to... so I 'll prbably be up there a little early.

I have not gotten any paper about a physical?...when did you get yours?

Look foward to meeting all of you......

I just got my physical forms a couple of days ago. It's probably waiting for you at home today. You attend UM or just a fan? Looking forward to welcoming y'all to the ACC in October :cool:

DOC34- until you accept your admission to PCOM, they probably won't mail the physical forms to you. just guessing though, i really have no idea.
ULTIMATE, please don't tell me your a Ravens fan too! and what's the histo lab placement exam?

Everyone here knows that the Mets are going to take the NL East this year. Anyways, I just received my physical forms in the mail yesterday. I wish they would send some sort of class schedule soon. Does anyone here know when oreintation starts? I don't plan on being in Philly until Aug 1st, as that is when my lease starts. I hope nothing(besides that biohem class) starts before then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I am probably worse than a Ravens fan. I grew up singing "Hail to the Redskins" :cool: . Everything I have heard indicates that orientation starts the second week of August. We will have an opportunity to take a histo practical exam during that week to place out of the lab portion. There are a bunch of recorded presentations and CD-ROMs in the computer labs and library to study. I think its worth it, its a few less hours per week to study that can be spent in anatomy lab :eek:

I sent the $250 deposit...thats all they asked from me...i got the letter abou the summer program....i go to UM now....go canes

a redskins fan and you're coming to PCOM, that's a daring move. just kidding. you should be getting the physical papers shortly then, it seems as though a lot of other people are starting to get them now too. i have also been wondering about a class schedule, or anything with dates on it we should know. last time i called about this (which was a few months ago), all they said was "we'll send them out as soon as we have it set." who knows!

Skins fans are safe as long as we don't wear any paraphenalia at the Linc. I already have my physical stuff done since I was a biomed at PCOM. In talking to Tammi and Deb, they are changing our schedule from what they did last year. A lot of the complaints in the past few years have been that the students are not getting enough time in anatomy and they rush through the last few units and don't get to spend much time on the extremities. My understanding (this hasn't been said explicitly) is that our school year is being extended at the back end for the first year. That will give a couple of extra weeks in anatomy and not compress the other two trimesters. Our summer break will be shorter but we will not be as rushed in anatomy. Just by my own calculation of a 13/14 week first trimester starting Aug. 16th we should finish up right before Thanksgiving with finals. Hopefully we'll get the official word in the next couple of weeks.

UDO, i think the calendar is on the website if you do some searching? ill do some looking tonight and see whats going on. I think im goin gto be sleeping and studying over thanxgiving. not a big holiday for my family so we all just chill.

Lots of stuff to discuss here :)

Issue One - the summer biochemistry program

I didn't take it and I did well. I have friends who took it and they did well (and have told me that the summer course really helped). I guess if your background in biochemistry is weak, this might be helpful. However, keep in mind that Cell and Tissue (your 2nd trimester) isn't just biochemistry. It also includes immunology, microbiology, some pathology, virology, some pharmacology, etc. You might have an easier time in Cell and Tissue if you were exposed to the basics before (either in undergrad or summer program or Biomed). However, it is not a necessity and you won't be placed at a disadvantage if you don't take the summer course. So it really is up to you (since it is your money).

2. Schedule
Most likely in the summer, you will get a letter telling you guys how to access your class website on blackboard. Your schedule will be on your class website. I think I got my schedule around a month before class started (but I could be wrong - it seems like a long time ago). As of right now, I doubt your schedule is ready since they are probably fine tuning it

3. Misc mailings
Stuff from PCOM will come in the mail in trickles. You should have received your health physicals. A letter asking for your white coat size will be mailed - since POMA will be paying for your white coats. Medical/Dental insurance forms will be mailed to you. If you don't want the coverage, you will have to show proof of alternative coverage (like most schools, undergrad or med). Most of the mailings will probably occured during the summer.

4. Housing info
You will get a packet in the mail. It will list places where current PCOM students are living, the rent, and utilities that are included (and also includes driving/walking distance to school). It will also include suggestions on dealing with utilities (such as water, electricity, gas, phone, etc)

5. Baseball
During my orientation, PCOM gave out tickets to a Phillies game at night. A nice way to bond w/ your new classmates. Not sure if they will do the same for your class (i guess it depends on the phillies schedule too).

6. Orientation info mailing
I remember last year that it took a while for the mail detailing orientation to arrive (i think in late July - but again, memory of it could be wrong since it has been a while)

I was once in your shoes - eager to get any info I can. But be patient. All the information will eventually get to you. It will take some time - but take this time to enjoy yourself and your freedom. Coming towards the end of my first year, most of my classmates are burnt out, and eagerly awaiting summer vacation (no test, no reading, no studying, !!!NO TEST!!)

Congrats and my sincere welcome to PCOM 2008

Hope I have been helpful in answering some of your questions/concern.

Now I have to go back to studying even though it is a beautiful spring day - GRRRRRRRR!!

Group_theory
"now accepting karma points"

That post puts me at ease.
If I knew to expect a housing packet, I wouldn't have gone out and secured a place so quickly.
There's an additional room for rent in the house I've found... If anyone is interested in moving to Wynnefield Heights, please let me know...

Hello fellow PCOMers! I will be joining you in August, and am getting excited to start the madness.
As for baseball (start the flaming!), I am a Yankees fan-- (can't help it! I grew up in northern Jersey, and the Mets suck) :rolleyes:
I do have to say, for the past five years, I've lived four blocks from Wrigley Field, and the Cubs enthusiasm is infectious, so I guess I can say that I like the Cubs also...

Anyway, where all you all living/going to live in Philly? I'm moving to Manayunk-- anyone else living in that general vicinity? Are you all coming straight from undergrad? (I'm not, I'm definitely a "non-traditional" student-- just got my 10 year high school reunion info-- EEK! :eek:

have a lovely night, and go yankees! :D

Go Yankees!!! I grew up in PA and trust me, a new stadium is not going to make the Philly's any better. I big waste of taxpayer money. The state foot part of the bill for that one.

Just had my 10 year reunion last year.

DO WE HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES THOSE $250 deposits....
????

besides the 31K in tuition? Don't think so... I'm sure they'll let us know if we owe them any money...

Wow, are we all non-trads? I just had my 10 year last year too. And I thought I was going to be the crusty old man in the class :rolleyes:
To answer your question Erin, I have heard of a couple of other people who are moving to the Manayunk area. I am currently looking in the roxborough/conshy area. BTW sorry about your being a yankees's fan ;)

haven't had the 10 year reunion yet, but it's coming soon. i've been out for 7 years. isn't anybody who is moving to philly a philly sports fan? and the yankees?! i know the phils record isn't much better, but they also don't have a $300 million payroll! seems like everyone coming to pcom in the fall is going to be a non-trad. little different than undergrad..........

DISCUSS YANKEES AND REDSOX ALL YOU WANT...

We PUNKED ALL OF BASBALL LAST YEAR

2 in 6 years my WORLD CHAMPION FLORIDA MARLINS!!!

(Best record in basebal this year so far)
only one loss to a team other than the braves

Oh No! You aren't one of "those" UM fans are you....I can see it's not going to be hard to get up for the UM vs GT game this year.

How do you think I feel. FSU gets their A$$ handed to them just about everytime they play Miami.

Oh No! You aren't one of "those" UM fans are you....I can see it's not going to be hard to get up for the UM vs GT game this year.

How do you think I feel. FSU gets their A$$ handed to them just about everytime they play Miami.

when will financial aid packages be sent out? any info would be appreciated.

-J

I got three versions of the financial aid apps about a month ago. Have you done your FAFSA yet? They are going to want that done before you fill out any PCOM paperwork.

anyone know when we hear from PCOM about financial aid acceptability? when we hear how much we'll be getting, etc??? is it something that's mailed out on a rolling basis as the applications come in or are they all done at the same time. i've tried calling the fin aid dept and don't usually get many answers.

How many people are planning to take the class? Have have you heard anyhting about the books? Of more intertrst is how they figure on 50 hours when you are in clas for 8 hours a day for 9 days. My math is bad but not that bad.

On another note I was wondering how many of us curently live in and around Philly? I love just outside of West Chester and was not sure if people wanted to get toghether for a drink?

From talking to someone in the molecular/Biochem department they said that on the first day (Tuesday) you get a tour, the syllabus, the book, and a student ID. This will be followed by 3 days of classes (Wed, Thurs, Fri.). The following week there is class Mon-Wed., Thurs is an off day for studying and asking questions and Fri there is a test along with a social event.

HNS said:
On another note I was wondering how many of us curently live in and around Philly? I love just outside of West Chester and was not sure if people wanted to get toghether for a drink?

I live in Phoenixville and I think raptor lives in the KofP area. I think there are a couple of city people too. I would be up for anything anywhere. If you want to meet at one of the current student haunts there is the Manayunk Brewing Co. or the Muddy Duck. Just out of curiosity when does the class start?

Those sould like fine places to meet. I have to admit that I have not been much into the student scene for quite a while now and know nothing of Manyunk. You guys will have to decide on a spot and time. I would love to get a room at one of those places so we an mingle with one another and not the throng of others there. I work at odd times so almost any date/time could be good.

i'll be moving to Narberth this summer.

If we get enough people on this then Manayunk Brewing Co. is probably the best bet since we can get away from the noise out onto the patio by the river. It's where we went as a group when we were done with our biomed exams.

What days work best for you guys? Are you ready to offer some dates?

I live in Phoenixville and I think raptor lives in the KofP area.

Royersford Actually. Count me in. Anytime except for Memorial Day weekend. Manayunk Brewing Co. is fine.

I am fairly busy working over most weekends. I am, however, off every Thursday in May. Wow, this is strange, oh well, I will take what I can. Does this work for you guys? Let me know

If you guys if Rofo and Phoenixville want to get together at Pump Town or another fine establishment we could always have little prelimiary get togehter...... :laugh:

Yeahhh. Tuesday & Thursday does not work for me. I have an evening class until June 30, and I know if I go to a bar, I will get blasted and not be in any shape to go to class.