PCOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HNS said:
Be careful, we might have to be on our best behavior....:cool:

Hehe, actually, he is the head of PCOM's anatomy department. He teaches all us first years...so you better make a good impression...

Just kidding :) He's the head of the architecture department at Carnegie Mellon...teaches ethics and decision making and advises PhD students.

If you think you need to be on good behavior with profs, maybe you've never gone drinkin' with one before :D my dad is super chill...

So who all is coming?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in! I will be there at 12:00 or so with bells on, well not really. I just hope that the weather is good so I can ride the bike. :)

I just went to the Brewery for lunch and to see where it is located. I spoke to some of the staff and they will NOT be taking reservations on Saturday due to some local college graduations. I was, however, told taht a large group shuld be easily accomodated at noon. This works well for us but again I ask, who will be there? I wonder so whomever gets there first can get a table large enough for all of us. So far it looks like er will be 4-6 people. I would love to see more of you if you can make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
surrender903 said:
ill be there!

my real name is Ali :)

I'll also be there :) My real name is Mete. I'll wear...I dunno, an orange shirt :) Ali, are you Middle Eastern?

surrender903 said:
yeah im iranian. :)

Coo' :D I'm turkish (as one would assume...). One of my best friends is Iranian (her name is Pegah). See you Saturday!

Well I guess I will have to decide what I am wearing as well. Actually that might be dangerous, it might not be clean..... I will have a white PCOM hat on and my name is Bert. Yes, Bert, like Bert and Ernie. And I am just your run of the mill white guy with a mustache.

I'll be there wearing a 76er's hat. My name is Robert. I wouldn't worry about the graduations too much for lunch, it's dinner where Manayunk gets slammed this time of year.

HNS said:
Yes, Bert, like Bert and Ernie.

hehe, this cracked me up :) Isn't Bert short for Robert?

not always... bert is a name in itself... like Bertrand.

i really like bertrand...

mete.. yeah i hope to see all of you. im not sure yet if i am driving or what. i have a shaved head... yeah im with robert. dinner is slamming time..

Members don't see this ad :)
guys,
i just noticed you guys talking about a health form. I called my mom to ask if anything came for me and she said she vaguely remembered it, but lost it. can anyone tell me if it was really important or if anything else of pertinence was in there. I just want to make sure there wasn't something in there saying, "we want to make sure you're still coming to pcom, let us know in two weeks or you'll be removed from the class roster." -or soemthing to that effect. thanks guys

Actually the name is even stranger, Herbert. My grandfather's, but it works all the same. I can't wait to finally meet all of you.

umasskid said:
guys,
i just noticed you guys talking about a health form. I called my mom to ask if anything came for me and she said she vaguely remembered it, but lost it. can anyone tell me if it was really important or if anything else of pertinence was in there. I just want to make sure there wasn't something in there saying, "we want to make sure you're still coming to pcom, let us know in two weeks or you'll be removed from the class roster." -or soemthing to that effect. thanks guys

You'll recognize the health form because it comes in a very bright yellow envelope.
And you have 8 weeks from time of receipt to return it.

BklynWill said:
You'll recognize the health form because it comes in a very bright yellow envelope.
And you have 8 weeks from time of receipt to return it.

And trust me you don't want to piss off the school nurse Bernadette. :scared:

Hey my name is matt I will be attending PCOM in the Fall (August I guess), so ar you guys talking about meeting at the manyunk brewery this sat? at noon. I would like to go if I can.

By all means come one down. We shouldn't be too hard to spot, I think there will be a 76ers hat, white PCOM hat, and an orange shirt. See ya tomorrow. :thumbup:

hey you guys,

have fun tomorrow!
Mete- let me know how the apt shopping goes- and how you like chimney hill!

Wish I could go to the brewery- I'll be there in spirit!

:cool:

-Erin

For those unable to make it, we had a blast. We were able to sit outside under an umbrella next to the Schuylkill River, eating lunch, yes some vegitarian, having drinks, and talking about where we come from and where we want to endup. I think that we spent 2 hours there. I only hope that all our classmates are similar to those whom were able to show up.

surrender903 said:
Indeed, a great time was had by all. :) great to meet everyone

Yes yes, good times for everyone. It was great to meet you all :D

Erin, I actually didn't get the chance to check out Chimney Hill. I went over to Manayunk to see how far it was, and because I'm not too sure about havin a car, I didn't want to get a palce that was out of walking distance. But Manayunk is great, its just like a district here in Pittsburgh called Shadyside, nice stores, nice restraurants. I felt like I was at home :) I might be moving into Carlene's apartments of Beekman apts., both on Conshohocken Ave. I think. I'll let you know how it goes :) Hope everything with you is well!

Peace 'n grease PCOMers.

turkdlit said:
Yes yes, good times for everyone. It was great to meet you all :D

Erin, I actually didn't get the chance to check out Chimney Hill. I went over to Manayunk to see how far it was, and because I'm not too sure about havin a car, I didn't want to get a palce that was out of walking distance. But Manayunk is great, its just like a district here in Pittsburgh called Shadyside, nice stores, nice restraurants. I felt like I was at home :) I might be moving into Carlene's apartments of Beekman apts., both on Conshohocken Ave. I think. I'll let you know how it goes :) Hope everything with you is well!

Peace 'n grease PCOMers.

Hey Turk,
I'm moving into Beekman around June 10th. I heard it's a ?nice? place to live from a friend who checked it out. Who knows? The dude moving out of my soon-to-be-apt. said it's a 7 min walk to campus. I don?t mind walking, or running :thumbup: , I just want to minimize the amount of time I have to spend in the future snowstorms. I'm stoked to start a whole new life out in Phillydilly.
Laters skater!

Hey future classmates,

I just got back from Philly checking out aparments. I found a place, albeit very very expensive(at least for me): Executive suites. The prob is my aparmtne twon't be available till August and I need to find a place to sublet for the month of July for the summer program. Does anyone know of any resources I can use to find a temporary housing situation?

Also, Any othe west coasters going to make the trek out to PCOM? Whats your route, maybe we can meet up ad all drive in to Philly together?

indymed said:
Hey future classmates,

I just got back from Philly checking out aparments. I found a place, albeit very very expensive(at least for me): Executive suites. The prob is my aparmtne twon't be available till August and I need to find a place to sublet for the month of July for the summer program. Does anyone know of any resources I can use to find a temporary housing situation?

Also, Any othe west coasters going to make the trek out to PCOM? Whats your route, maybe we can meet up ad all drive in to Philly together?

PCOM Student Affairs office has a book of apartments that can be rented on a monthly basis. Mostly 3rd and 4th years use it while on clinical rotations but I see no reason why you could use it too.

I've been down to in Philly 2 different weekends now doing some apt. searching. After looking at 20+ apt. complexes I have found nothing that seems that great to me yet. Some of the apartments around the school on conshohocken don't seem all that bad, but the neighborhood isn't the greatest either. There are few nice places in Manayunk/Roxborough, but I don't know if I can deal with the drive every morning. Does anyone have any suggestions at all on where to live???

narberth is a cool little town about 2 miles away. it's actually on the montgomery county side of City Ave which is the cheaper of the 2 counties, although rent may be a few dollars higher. although, with a roommate, shouldn't be that bad. rent in philly really gave me "sticker shock" when i saw how high a 1 bedroom apt was compared to the country. but, unfortunately, it's high in all of philly, whether it's manayunk, roxborough, bala cynwyd, etc. i didn't really want to live on conshohocken ave either, just too "busy" for me i guess. narberth is a nice little town, and rent isn't that bad when split between roommates.

Hey guys,

Welcome to PCOM, home of the very masculine "Flame of knowledge". You all are now part of the family, with that comes some privileges and entitlements. For example, you are all entitled to approach any upper classman (including myself) at anytime if you have a question or you just want to say "You know what, I read your post on SDN and it really made me feel welcome. So here's a case of Guinness." Or if you are doubled up on X chromosomes you can certainly use the ole' classic: "Wow, I just figured since you were smart and clever that you couldn't be Hot too. Damn, can I buy you a steak at Ruth's Chris. By the way, my hands are kind of tight...do you mind if I loosen them up by rubbing your back?" You know, whatever.

Nevertheless, my greetings found their way into this thread by design. You see, as a 3rd year medical student I have to start a new chapter in my medical education and "fly the campus coop". So this means that I will be vacating my Schhweet schweeet pad (1/2 block from Main Street dining and nightlife) in the posh Manayunk district. This 4 floor row house comes fully equipped with 2 & 1/2 bedrooms 2 full baths, roof deck, back patio (Tikki torches already in place) washer/dryer, dishwasher, Alarm system, Direct TV, DSL...The top floor bedroom is occupied by my roommate Mike who, in addition to being a former PCOM master's degree student and current member of the D.O. class of 2008, is also a school-renowned home-brewer. (I recommend his chocolate-cherry-stout for the fall!) Anyway, the rent is between $700-$750 depending on which room you want, plus utilities.
I am studying for Boards and then I leave for my first rotation in July, so the room can be available July 1st if need be. If you are interested in hearing more about it or coming by to check out the setup, you can email me at: [email protected]
In all sincerity, congratulations, welcome, and I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming year.

Yours,

Robb
PCOM 2006

Has anyone been over to Student Affairs to look at the private housing list? Is it up-to date? Should I wait another few weeks? Any help/recomedation is greatly appreciated.

anyone get reward letters yet from the financial aid dept? i figured we'd have them by now. kind of anxious to know whether or not i need to apply for alternative loans. speaking of which, does anyone know if you can apply for them throughout the year, or do you have to apply for them before class starts? it would be nice to know that we can apply for the alternative loans after school starts so we can get a feel for how much we'll need. sorry HNS, don't know about the private housing list.

Billy33 said:
anyone get reward letters yet from the financial aid dept? i figured we'd have them by now. kind of anxious to know whether or not i need to apply for alternative loans. speaking of which, does anyone know if you can apply for them throughout the year, or do you have to apply for them before class starts? it would be nice to know that we can apply for the alternative loans after school starts so we can get a feel for how much we'll need. sorry HNS, don't know about the private housing list.

You can apply anytime during the year, no requirement that you get in before matriculation. I know of 3rd years that applied in January when they realized their rotation travel costs were eating their budgets.

Bert, when I was down a couple of weeks ago the housing list had just recently been added to. There were still some old postings but a lot of new ones were from late Apr to mid May.

I think they (pcom) review fa files in June, so hopefully we'll be hearing soon.
I filled out an alternative loan app for "T.H.E." The don't have origination costs, and you can download the app and promissary note here:
http://www.northstar.org/Med/LoanTypes.aspx

I luves bills...

Hey, I have a question: does anyone know when we get class info/schedules, etc? Just wondering.

Just called PCOM about FA and they let me know that I will be receiving $38500. I had an EFC of about $12000 and as I expected, it did not affect the award amount one bit. I suppose everyone could call to find out theirs. I just called to make sure they had everything they needed from me. They said they did, then told me the amount.

PCOM Financial Aid 215-871-6170

Hey raptor5-

Thanks so much for the info!! I just called PCOM and they gave me the same info--I guess everyone can just call the fa office number and find out how much $$$ they are receiving. Now, I have to wait to hear about the alternative loan....

I was wondering if anyone wanted to get together before classes begin. We had a small get together earlier and had alot of fun meeting our new classmates. As most people are starting to move into the area it may be a good time to get together again.

HNS said:
I was wondering if anyone wanted to get together before classes begin. We had a small get together earlier and had alot of fun meeting our new classmates. As most people are starting to move into the area it may be a good time to get together again.

Who from the SDN group is going to be at the financial aid seminar tomorrow? Are you planning on going to the baseball game too?

Rob ill be there, because of summer start, we have a great gang of 20 people in SS1. Going to the game, but not staying long. im up for people hanging out somewhere afterwards. i live close to the city if we want to use that as a launching point. call me if you want to figure something out.

surrender903 said:
Rob ill be there, because of summer start, we have a great gang of 20 people in SS1. Going to the game, but not staying long. im up for people hanging out somewhere afterwards. i live close to the city if we want to use that as a launching point. call me if you want to figure something out.

I am working on the assumption that the game is going to be cancelled. Forecast looks pretty ugly for this afternoon/evening. Might want to get the "where for dinner" conversation going early this afternoon. See ya in a few.

The vision statement that you create will also be utilized during your graduation ceremony. It's a nice touch in that something you created during the initial days of your medical education is remembered as you pass into your practicing years.

I was just browsing the Guide to Student Organizations and I am interested in a lot of different clubs. My question is, with an intense schedule, how many clubs is the typical PCOM student able to handle (on average)? On a related note, why is it emphasized to eventually obtain a leadership role in a club? Is this supposed to be good for landing a residency?

BklynWill said:
I was just browsing the Guide to Student Organizations and I am interested in a lot of different clubs. My question is, with an intense schedule, how many clubs is the typical PCOM student able to handle (on average)? On a related note, why is it emphasized to eventually obtain a leadership role in a club? Is this supposed to be good for landing a residency?

Any leadership position that you can put on your CV will benefit you come residency time. My girlfriend was in about 5 clubs and didn't complain about lack of time for any of them. I have not had time to browse the mailing yet but I plan on joining a few.

Hey ya'll! Was wondering if anyone has recieved any financial aid award letters, schedules for orientation week/academic calendars, etc. I feel like PCOM is keeping us in the dark for too long :)

On a side note, I had a dream last night which I think acted to release some of the anxiety I'm feeling about starting...all my classmates were complete assh*les and I got into a fight with one of them (or should I say, one of YOU) :laugh: It was ridiculous but kinda scary...I can't wait to meet you all :)

turkdlit said:
Hey ya'll! Was wondering if anyone has recieved any financial aid award letters, schedules for orientation week/academic calendars, etc. I feel like PCOM is keeping us in the dark for too long :)

On a side note, I had a dream last night which I think acted to release some of the anxiety I'm feeling about starting...all my classmates were complete assh*les and I got into a fight with one of them (or should I say, one of YOU) :laugh: It was ridiculous but kinda scary...I can't wait to meet you all :)

Well I be sure to pre-emptively scwah up and kick you in tha nutz before your start a fight with me. :smuggrin: I have not received anything official but have heard from a reliable source that orientation week is will be the 10-12 of August. I do have a high level academic calender but it does not distinguish between the rumored differences in the MS1 and MS2 calenders. I totally agree that the lack of non-revenue generating news has been piss poor, though.

Just call the Registar and ask them if you have questions, or stop by. That is what I did and they were glad to tell me the dates for orientation.

Hi all,

I wanted to know where everyone is living and if your living alone or with roommates. I'm trying to find a place fast and I just don't know what to do. Does anyone know anybody looking for a roommate.

Thanks,
Smile80

Smile80 said:
Hi all,

I wanted to know where everyone is living and if your living alone or with roommates. I'm trying to find a place fast and I just don't know what to do. Does anyone know anybody looking for a roommate.

Thanks,
Smile80

Living three blocks away on Balwynne Park Rd. There are a bunch of apts available on the street and there are a bunch of posting on the bullitin board at school of people looking for roommates and places for rent.