Pcom Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awsome raptor5, see you in class this Summer! I'd like to buy a condo near campus, but I'm unfamiliar with the prices and the area around PCOM. I'd like to sell a condo after graduation - lucky you- since rent is a waist of money. I'd rather be sinking my cash into something I own. However, I want the ease of getting to school in 5 min so I'm looking at a place on Belmont called Beekman... anyone have some info about that street?
The infrastructure in Cali is user friendly compared to you all back East. We've got 10 lane freeways in some areas. I'm sure going to miss all of these lanes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to my future classmates. I'm also in the process of trying to find an apartment complex to move into. So far I have come up with Beekman and Duffield House. Does anyone have any info about these two complexes in regards to reputation and proximity to the school as well as how safe the Wynnefield area is. Any info would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks,
Keith

Members don't see this ad :)
You may already know this, but if you go onto PCOM's website and look under housing there is an updated list of apartment complexes. I know I had looked at their housing info before but the updated info is more detailed and has more apartment complexes.

Beekman is really close to campus, I checked the Yahoo driving directions and its .3 miles away from campus. Duffield is only a slightly longer commute at 1.2 miles. That is really good proximity.

Beekman sounds great since all of the utilities are included in the rent. Plus it's so close to campus. I figure heat and AC are expensive and it's nice to know that it's one less bill to worry about sending.

Does anyone know if Beekman is furnished or has any furnished units? For me that would be preferable because I hate lugging furniture around, and I really dont feel its worth it.

Hey all,
I've interviewed/been accepted at several DO schools, but
have not heard from PCOM. Anybody got an opinion? Did
you all interview at several schools? I'm stumped!

Thanks!

I highly recommend living in manayunk. Very short drive to school with plenty of bars/restaurants within walking distance (there is life outside of school). Go to philly.com and check the classifieds for apartments. Also, check mainlinetimes.com - that's where I found my first manayunk apartment.

Do any of youknow someone in the PCOM area that knows whata re the good places to live. Do you know of any good places to live please let me know. Thanks

PCOM 2008

Hey everyone, congrats to being accepted. PCOM is an amazing school and I think I will be attending this august too but I wont make a decision until this summer. Im just concerned about how much PCOM. Now im just getting antsy because I have the year off and have been accepted since november and I am eager to start.

Does anyone know on average how much PCOM is the first and second year besides that you can take out 38500 maximum.

Thanks,

KeddisDO

There is a thread out there specifically about PCOM finaid. I think the max is 54500 you can borrow through student loans. 38500 max for stafford. PCOM should be about 31-32K for the year plus books and everything else. If someone else remebers seeing that thread please post it.

Raptor5

As a future PCOM, Class 2008, I am wondering if all the recent Hospital closings in PA is something to be worried about?

Is it something to be worried about?

What about our core rotations?

Will we have enough spots fo everyone?

Thanks, Patch

It's future PCOM Student

And For not Fo

From talking to 4th year students and clinical faculty, people are actually glad MCP Hospital is closing.

It was a hostile environment for DO students, residents, and faculty to work in. There were communication breakdown between hospital admin and everyone else, and issues were never addressed or solved. Hospitals such as Frankford, Pennsylvania, Einstein were very much friendlier than MCP. Of course, I'm only a first year so I'm just relaying what I've been told by 4th years and some clinical faculty.

It is also my understanding that there are plenty of spaces in southeastern PA to absorb all the extra students (Drexel and PCOM) - so you are still require to do core rotations around this area.

Here is a list of Clinical Affiliates where you do your core rotations

http://www.pcom.edu/Clinical_Education/Affiliate_Lists_/affiliate_lists_.html

If you are still concern, contact the Director of Clinical Education and relay your concern and asked what's going on (explain you are a potential 1st year PCOM student and worried about hospital closings)

Hope I helped

To me it means more rotations at Lehigh Valley. Yeah. Very DO friendly hospital.