PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gonna give them a ring tommo to see if there is any chance, I really hope someone declines an interview or something

Members don't see this ad.

Keep us updated. I am in the same boat. Still no interview invite.

I there in the ditch too. I have been calling PCOM for awhile now, but all they tell me that they are interviewing until the end of March. I hope that means they are still sending out invites until the end because my premed advisor has told me they are a bit behind this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know someone who has an interview in april. I don't know if they are still selecting for interviews.

a few days ago i got a letter from pcom telling me they got all my stuff and my app was complete and i was being considered for an interview (i mailed my supplemental and check a day before the deadline)..so i dont know whether they are still inviting or just sayin thanks for the money but we're all good

PCOM told me they send out interview invites throughout the end of March. Everything should be final by the end of April.

so any word on PCOM's 2008 Match?

Quick question, does anyone know what PCOM's attrition rate is. I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Thanks

If I can remember we lost around 5% our first year. Kind of hard to tell 2nd year b/c of dual degree folks. The big problem was high GPA with low board pass rate but I fell those problems have been resolved since they got rid of back tests and actually forced the students to ACTUALLY study the material.

If I can remember we lost around 5% our first year. Kind of hard to tell 2nd year b/c of dual degree folks. The big problem was high GPA with low board pass rate but I fell those problems have been resolved since they got rid of back tests and actually forced the students to ACTUALLY study the material.

The low board pass rate was only one class that just seemed to screw the exam up. My class had the back test and did better than PCOMs normal pass rate of the (low 90%)

I still haven't heard anything back from PCOM. If they are done sending out interview invites that is fine, but I would like to know. Should I call to see if they are done sending out invites or just wait it out?

i just called the admissions office. the woman who answered said they are still inviting for interviews, but there are only "a few seats left" in the class. thats all i got.

I was wondering what everyone's impressions were of PCOM as they visited the school. What most did you like about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what everyone's impressions were of PCOM as they visited the school. What most did you like about it?

everyone will say the same old "family" crap you always hear, i'll say tradition. can't knock 100+ years of osteopathy in one of the oldest/greatest medical cities.

cheesesteaks and wawa. Oh how i will miss thee

You may want to check out the interview database for some more information as well!

so any word on PCOM's 2008 Match?

I would love to know too but I have heard that students aren't that forthcoming about their results and that PCOM has struggled to get accurate match lists together over the last few years - that's straight from the prez of PCOM from a new student luncheon I went to earlier in the year.

Paging JohnnyG for more insight since he's going into his 4th year there and seems to know the school very well. :D

yea the matchlist isn't nearly as specific as some of those provided by other schools. it doesn't really make a big difference to me, but I do wonder why it's composed so loosely.

I just called admissions. All they would tell me is that I am complete and it is being reviewed by the committee right now. I guess that's better than her telling me they aren't offering me an interview.

The low board pass rate was only one class that just seemed to screw the exam up. My class had the back test and did better than PCOMs normal pass rate of the (low 90%)

Exactly!

Waitlisted. Should be fun waiting even more after waiting 7 months for an interview.

Waitlisted. Should be fun waiting even more after waiting 7 months for an interview.

Booooo! That sucks Ilovethemcat - but keep your chin up. You could get off it very easily - just keep showing your interest! Wishing you the best!

I just refused my acceptance offer from PCOM a couple of minutes ago. Hopefully they will turn around and offer my spot to you! Good luck:luck::luck:

Has anyone that was waitlisted at PCOM called them to ask how the waitlist is going to work this year? Just wondering if someone can shed some light on dreaded wait we have in our futures.

JonnyG or Maximus, do you guys know if the invites are officially done?

I have been looking ALL OVER on facebook to find the PCOM-PA 2012 group but I have not been able to. How come Georgia campus has one Can somebody (NOT ME!) create a group? If we do indeed have one already, can you tell me EXACTLY how to find it?

PLEASE~ thanks~!

That list is so fantastic :luck:

One question I did have was is this list comprehensive? The reason I ask is because the dean had said that it was tough for a while to get a complete list of where everyone is going. He said that some people would give feedback on where their internship was but then not provide info on where they were going to do their residency. Can anyone comment on that?

im so friggen siked for my PCOM interview. i guess having an interview this late means something? lol

Good luck Cabbage, relax and be yourself and you will do fine. PM if you have any questions about it.

Good luck Cabbage! My friend just interviewed y'day and there are still seats left so rock that interview and hopefully take one of those seats!!!

Cabbage, when is your interview?

Thanks for the support! PCOM is my top choice and I would love to live in PHILLY and go to such an awesome school! LONG LIVE THE CHEESESTEAK!

same boat here. been complete since early Oct. and still haven't heard anything from PCOM.

i have my interview tomorrow and am not sure whether to bring up PCOM's research as a reason why I want to go there. I've done research throughout my undergrad and am not sure whether this will be a positive or negative considering most DO schools want to churn out clinicians, not researchers. My reasons for attending: its close to home (within 60 miles), great rotations, excellent network and.....research? i really like some of their research work, but just don't wanna known as a brown noser. oh yeah, how long does it typically take to hear back from them after the interview? i figure since it is so late into the application cycle, it would be quicker? is there any way they can tell you applied to MD schools too? I applied to a few b/c of my parents and have acceptances, but do not wanna go to a MD school. Someone said they know what schools you have applied to?!

When I interviewed there in early February, there wasn't much said about research, but I think that was more a quirk of who happened to be interacting with me that day. I doubt they are research-averse. If they were, they wouldn't fund any!

I think that if you have a strong research background and you are excited about PCOM's research (specific examples of things you found on the PCOM site would surely be a bonus), it could only help you. I don't think you should try and make yourself into the candidate you think they want. They choose to interview you because of what they saw in your application, so you should be THAT person. Don't answer questions with what you think they want to hear, tell them how you really feel in an intelligent manner.

Good luck and you can PM me if you have any questions.

Are they still sending out interview invites?

What is the expected class size for '08?

i have my interview tomorrow and am not sure whether to bring up PCOM's research as a reason why I want to go there. I've done research throughout my undergrad and am not sure whether this will be a positive or negative considering most DO schools want to churn out clinicians, not researchers. My reasons for attending: its close to home (within 60 miles), great rotations, excellent network and.....research? i really like some of their research work, but just don't wanna known as a brown noser. oh yeah, how long does it typically take to hear back from them after the interview? i figure since it is so late into the application cycle, it would be quicker? is there any way they can tell you applied to MD schools too? I applied to a few b/c of my parents and have acceptances, but do not wanna go to a MD school. Someone said they know what schools you have applied to?!

I think LShapley gave you some great advice. When I went to one of the accepted students luncheons, there was a prof there that was doing a ton of neuro research on Parkinson's and was taking some students to a big national meeting where they were going to present that research together. So they really do care about research. If that is one of your genuine interests, you should mention it. They are really proud of all the research opps they give students so they will be pleased to hear about it. But don't frame it as if you are trying to tell them what they want to hear. They'll see your genuine interest for research, and appreciate it, if you talk about it honestly.

What is the expected class size for '08?

Do you mean theclass of 2012 or the class that just graduated. Because apparently 92% of the class of 2012 is filled and that's over 100 people.

This is an entirely different subject but if any PCOM students could reply I'd appreciate it.

I am a PreMed with MCAT 31P, GPA 3.9. My question is whether I will feel out of place at an Osteopathic school since my academic scores are higher than the averages. Are there many students that have scores high enough for MD schools but choose to go to a DO school because of the philosophy of them?

Also, do students generally work part time jobs or just use loans to pay for their food and rent.

Lastly, do you know any former Math or Physics majors at PCOM?

Thanks

If you feel overqualified for a school, then by all means don't apply there. It sounds like you have a superiority complex, which will not make you feel "in place" anywhere you go. But yeah, youre not the only one with a good gpa and MCAT, so dont flatter yourself.

This is an entirely different subject but if any PCOM students could reply I'd appreciate it.

I am a PreMed with MCAT 31P, GPA 3.9. My question is whether I will feel out of place at an Osteopathic school since my academic scores are higher than the averages. Are there many students that have scores high enough for MD schools but choose to go to a DO school because of the philosophy of them?

Also, do students generally work part time jobs or just use loans to pay for their food and rent.

Lastly, do you know any former Math or Physics majors at PCOM?

Thanks

Wow, with scores like those you would be able to teach at PCOM!

Will you feel out of place? Yeah you'll totally be out of place in the sea of cavemen and other idiots at PCOM.

You have a 31 and a 3.9....decent but no big deal, that may be above the averages, but its not that great. I've met 3 other people starting at PCOM next fall with higher MCAT than you.

More than likely I'd wager you wouldnt be #1, blowing the rest of the class away on tests.

Posts like these are idiotic.

Everyone who goes to an osteopathic school isnt smart enough to get into an MD school. We all majored in weird stuff like African Dance too.

For the record, after reading this guy's post, Im inclined to think he's not really a currently (or soon) applying premed. It sounds like it was written by a high schooler or very naive college freshman. Do you have any Math or Physics Majors? Nope, in a class of nearly 250, there are Zero Math or Physics majors. Do students work or use loans to pay for food and rent? I know it's probably been done and God bless the poor guy who did it, but who works during med school? (I'm talking serious part time work, not a few hours of MCAT tutoring for some extra $)

Wow, with scores like those you would be able to teach at PCOM!

Will you feel out of place? Yeah you'll totally be out of place in the sea of cavemen and other idiots at PCOM.

You have a 31 and a 3.9....decent but no big deal, that may be above the averages, but its not that great. I've met 3 other people starting at PCOM next fall with higher MCAT than you.

More than likely I'd wager you wouldnt be #1, blowing the rest of the class away on tests.

Posts like these are idiotic.

Everyone who goes to an osteopathic school isnt smart enough to get into an MD school. We all majored in weird stuff like African Dance too.

For the record, after reading this guy's post, Im inclined to think he's not really a currently (or soon) applying premed. It sounds like it was written by a high schooler or very naive college freshman. Do you have any Math or Physics Majors? Nope, in a class of nearly 250, there are Zero Math or Physics majors. Do students work or use loans to pay for food and rent? I know it's probably been done and God bless the poor guy who did it, but who works during med school? (I'm taking serious part time work, not a few hours of MCAT tutoring for some extra $)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That was just priceless DredPiratRobrts. I couldn't have said it better myself!

anything besides a bio major will make you stand out. I wouldn't say math is better than say english or something else. I know someone with a 4.0 and a 33 MCAT who is starting PCOM in the fall, so your numbers aren't the first...