PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude, you didn't go to mitt or U-CLA.

Call it what you want. I end up saying PCOM just because people tend to understand it better when you say it like that

There are schools that shorten though. Penn State-Delaware County was always referred to as "Delco" by my friends that went there.

People say SUNY-Whatever and not S-U-N-Y-whatever. Just depends.

Members don't see this ad.

A good friend of mine finally decided to go to PCOM (released her seats at LECOM-FL, TOURO-NY, and NOVA-Southeastern). She is about to do the PreCheck application for PCOM but is worried -

she has two felony charges from like three or four years ago (she wouldn't tell me what for... but she did get arrested for like an hour) that eventually did not turn into convictions - one was nolle prosequi, the other dropped.

She's wondering how PCOM will react to this news? I told her to come on here and find out but she has no time with finals - so what should i tell her? She obviously answered "no" to the AACOMAS and PreCheck questionnaire's when they asked if she had been convicted, because she hadn't been - but does anybody know how PCOM will react to this? They never asked about charges, only convictions.

Members don't see this ad :)
A felony charge is not a felony. A background check isn't going to show charges, just convictions. Innocent until proven guilty, all that. If you want to be sure, order a background check for yourself so you can see it before it goes to PCOM.

A felony charge is not a felony. A background check isn't going to show charges, just convictions. Innocent until proven guilty, all that. If you want to be sure, order a background check for yourself so you can see it before it goes to PCOM.

remember, it is for a "friend" :D

So I guess the class of 2012 got their letters about taking the summer biochem course recently and I had a question from any current PCOMers - is it worth taking? I just took biochem but it was a bit of a joke and I really didn't learn much. And about a year ago, I took a biochem/cell bio course which was great but don't remember much from it. I mean I remember the basics like protein structure, function, certain pathways...etc but not a ton. Would it be worth going through this course or just waiting it out until I actually have to take the class? I'm not trying to be a gunner or anything because I certainly am not wanting to give up two weeks of my summer but I just wanted to know what some senior PCOMers thought.....

although I'm not a med student I've read that we should just wait to take the class and enjoy our summer. Why stress yourself out two weeks earlier than you have to?

although I'm not a med student I've read that we should just wait to take the class and enjoy our summer. Why stress yourself out two weeks earlier than you have to?

You're totally right udsoccer - I think I'm just panicking since I learned NOTHING in this biochem class that I took this semester and I have a handful of friends that are repeating Biochem and/or A&P this summer so I'm just spazzing out!

I understand. It will be 3 years since I took any kind of biochem so you are not alone. I've concluded that everyone will be in the same perdicament once medical school starts....stressed out over lots of material and scared....its really easy to feel this way but we'll all get through it....We'll just adapt and if it was that hard then there wouldn't be doctors:)

I'm fairly certain that PreCheck will show the charges because an arrest was made, even though no conviction occured. A friend of mine paid for one himself via PreCheck at the beginning of this application cycle to see what would show up - that way he would have time to talk to his lawyer and maybe get the charges expunged.
tlvuong4 said:
remember, it is for a "friend"

i think it is a friend - the OP is a guy - he's going to VCOM I think?

So I guess the class of 2012 got their letters about taking the summer biochem course recently and I had a question from any current PCOMers - is it worth taking? I just took biochem but it was a bit of a joke and I really didn't learn much. And about a year ago, I took a biochem/cell bio course which was great but don't remember much from it. I mean I remember the basics like protein structure, function, certain pathways...etc but not a ton. Would it be worth going through this course or just waiting it out until I actually have to take the class? I'm not trying to be a gunner or anything because I certainly am not wanting to give up two weeks of my summer but I just wanted to know what some senior PCOMers thought.....

The biochem for medical school is completely dumbed down. taught well, just had to be taught to a people who dont need a complex understanding of it. The biochem program is a waste of time except you get to meet people earlier than if you waited. Your time would be better spent relaxing or earning some extra cash.

Hey, does anyone know how the waitlist works? If I interviewed in early April and got onto the waitlist, does that mean I'm at the end of the line? Also, do they reject anyone once you have an interview or is everyone just placed on the waitlist (meaning is the waitlist really big)? Thanks

Hey, does anyone know how the waitlist works? If I interviewed in early April and got onto the waitlist, does that mean I'm at the end of the line? Also, do they reject anyone once you have an interview or is everyone just placed on the waitlist (meaning is the waitlist really big)? Thanks

I believe that some people do get straight up rejected. I am also on the waitlist. Have you heard of any movement? When I called a week or two ago they said that they had not yet removed anyone form the waitlist! I kind of find that hard to believe, but maybe they wait until May 15 when most MD schools have their deposit deadline. Anyone know anything more about the waitlist??

Also I do not believe that interviewing late necessarily puts you at the end of the waitlist because according the the admissions counselor I talked to, their wait list in not ranked at all. Instead they review the entire list when they go to pull anyone off of it. Seems like a crazy way to do things, but I am sure there must be some reason for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, that's nice to know... so once the waitlist gets moving then just about anyone has a chance of getting in. I haven't heard of anything, but the school does make it sound like a lot more people than expected are choosing to go to PCOM this year.

Just got my PCOM rejection letter in the mail the other day... still haven't heard a peep from NYCOM or UMDNJ SOM.

:mad:

Just got my PCOM rejection letter in the mail the other day... still haven't heard a peep from NYCOM or UMDNJ SOM.

:mad:

Sorry Phenol. I still haven't heard from a handful of schools either including NYCOM. It really ticks me off when they do that.

I am hoping that other things have come through for you :D

Hi,
Im an upcoming 3rd yr at PCOM and I just wanted to try to give a little encouragement. 5 people in my class were accepted into med school the week we started classes!! I.E the week leading to the start or actually the day of first day of classes! I also interviewed VERY late and still got in. Keep up positive thoughts...Continue to call/email the admissions--to keep your name in their mind and be polite!! Let them know that this is your top choice school and you really are excited to go there. Not gonna lie...some say you need to tell them youre really interested in Prim care...I am not going into a prim care field but I do know they like to hear that. And once your in...you dont have to do it. Second....If you know friends already there...have them swing by admissions and talk you up or mention you...Recommendations from Classmates already there def helps....
If you dont get in this year...DEF pick the school you want...If its PCOM...go and speak to their admissions lady...Talk about why you want to be there...what you can do to improve. They like initiative and developing a real relationship with them. Befriend her and keep in touch with her all next yr and I can "almost" guarentee youll get in....
In any case...Best of luck guys...Keep your heads up! If you want to be a doctor you will get there!!! Keep at it....Its rough but theres still nothign else Id rather do...And Im saying this after I had a crying session last night over boards and how much studying Im doing! :) Best of Luck!

I am currently a student at PCOM. If you need any advice about the area or places to live just PM me.

I am a pre-osteo from Utah, but I am worried about having my 5 year old go to school in Philly, how is crime there? Also, do you stay put for years 3 and 4 or do you move all across the country?

I am a pre-osteo from Utah, but I am worried about having my 5 year old go to school in Philly, how is crime there? Also, do you stay put for years 3 and 4 or do you move all across the country?

There is no reason what so ever to live in philly while at PCOM. the school is part of the line that make sup the border of philadelphia so live in the suburbs. Which have good schools. The crime is that of a major city but not really an issue at the school. Unlike alot of schools PCOM actually took the time to find rotatons near the school. You dont move at all. The people who move usually go closer to home.

In what area do most PCOM students live, generally?

I think that varies...I think you have a chunk that live near the school on city ave or the streets off of it. Then there is a group that lives in Manyunk/Roxborough. I am sure that there several people that live on the Main Line in Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Ardmore...etc. In fact, that's where I am thinking of living. That's about 5-10 mins from PCOM. And I'm sure there's a small percentage that commute from Center City Philly. Those seem to be the major neighborhoods from what I've seen...

There is a very nice atmosphere on the Main Line - it is suburban, safe, family oriented, friendly, with lots of good schools. These include the Narbeth, Wynnewood, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Ardmore area - they have lots of private and strong public schools in the area and there is a large population of professionsl that live there.

It looks like I'll be living around the main line somewhere.

What are we expected to wear to class next year? I know the whole gym shorts thing for OMM, but are we supposed to be looking semi-professional and no shorts kind of thing, or does it not really matter? If that's the case I need to get some big boy clothes fairly soon

What are we expected to wear to class next year? I know the whole gym shorts thing for OMM, but are we supposed to be looking semi-professional and no shorts kind of thing, or does it not really matter? If that's the case I need to get some big boy clothes fairly soon

From what I've seen on campus, you can wear whatever. There is no dress code. Whenever I was there most people were in jeans and a lot were in sweats.

1st triumester of first year, you really aren't allowed to wear scrubs outside of the anatomy lab. the other year people complained that students were going to the cafe in scrubs after lab and no way to tell if they were clean scrubs. but yeh wear whatever you want. there are always one or two people who dress totally professional...........................never knew why but it works for them.

saw on local news yesterday: PCOM commencement given by the mayor, who was also given an honarary degree by PCOM

saw on local news yesterday: PCOM commencement given by the mayor, who was also given an honarary degree by PCOM

are you telling me that i only had to become the mayor to receive a degree from pcom?? that sounds way easier than the impending 4 years of medical education.

are you telling me that i only had to become the mayor to receive a degree from pcom?? that sounds way easier than the impending 4 years of medical education.

he is an interesting mayor. I remember that he hosted a public viewing at the mayor's office for The Wire finale. then, he was recently at the sex and the city premiere in philly and admitting that he can get teary eyed.

To all current PCOM students-

I have a quick question. I was thinking about getting a tablet pc for school this fall. Do you think it would be worthwhile? I know some schools are more tech savy than others, I wasn't quite sure if PCOM students were using them or not. I have a newer macbook that works great, but feel that a tablet would be nice for lecture and labs. Any comments?

To all current PCOM students-

I have a quick question. I was thinking about getting a tablet pc for school this fall. Do you think it would be worthwhile? I know some schools are more tech savy than others, I wasn't quite sure if PCOM students were using them or not. I have a newer macbook that works great, but feel that a tablet would be nice for lecture and labs. Any comments?

waste of money. The only real lab we have is anatomy and I would burn anything i bought into the lab. As for class a macbook will be fine even then you dont need it.

does anyone know anything about waitlist movement at pcom? does anyone know approximately how many students were accepted off the waitlist last yr?

does anyone know anything about waitlist movement at pcom? does anyone know approximately how many students were accepted off the waitlist last yr?

I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone been accepted off the list recently?

for people still scrounging for a place to live, i found a place on the border of east falls / manayunk called Dobson Mills. It's pretty pricey (but brand new) - some of the floorplans are pretty spacious - of course more affordable if you have roomates!! a lot of availability left.

Hello All,
I am attending PCOM's Open House session next week and was looking for any advice from anyone who has attended an open house. I'm suspecting business casual is appropriate attire. Should I bring resumes or anything with me as well?
Thanks for any input!

Hello All,
I am attending PCOM's Open House session next week and was looking for any advice from anyone who has attended an open house. I'm suspecting business casual is appropriate attire. Should I bring resumes or anything with me as well?
Thanks for any input!

Business casual is nice and you don't need to bring anything with you. It's a very informal session that introduces the school to you and what the community is like. I would introduce yourself to the director of admissions and say that you will be applying but other than that, just go in with the sense that you are getting your first look at the school.

Hello All,
Thanks for any input!

DEFTINITELY introduce yourself to the director of admissions (Deborah Benvenger) and the assistant DOA (Marsha Williams). They are the two people that need to be on your side.

Thank you for your responses and for your tips! I will definitely take your advice and introduce myself. I'm really excited about the open house as PCOM is my top choice, I'm totally impressed with the facilities that I've been able to view on the website and can't wait to see the real thing.

How long did it take to get an interview and then get accepted from the time you submitted your primary application?

I had my app in before they started sending secondaries (think i was complete aacomas side by august/september). Got the secondary maybe late september/early october, was interviewed late october/early november, was accepted late november/early december.

I want to say I got my acceptance before thanksgiving but I just dont remember. My brain is fried :confused: lol

I had my app in before they started sending secondaries (think i was complete aacomas side by august/september). Got the secondary maybe late september/early october, was interviewed late october/early november, was accepted late november/early december.

I want to say I got my acceptance before thanksgiving but I just dont remember. My brain is fried :confused: lol

Same here!