PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree with above

You will have between 6-7 months (total 3rd/4th years) to rotate anywhere you want (electives and selective)

Some of the places PCOMers have gone in the past (that I know of...probably more)

- All 50 states (including Hawaii and Alaska)
- Canada
- India
- Ecuador
- Honduras
- Australia
- New Zealand

Members don't see this ad.

You current second years have issues!

Though you arent the worst class currently enrolled! :laugh:

(hmm...who is it....hmmm)

You current second years have issues!

Though you arent the worst class currently enrolled! :laugh:

(hmm...who is it....hmmm)

It couldn't be us sweet lil ol' 1st years! :D We spend our free time trying to save the world alongside our mentor super Fogel.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So.....How YOU doin?

Sorry bored at work today

any of you going to the upcoming open house?

can anyone tell me what the best time to send a letter of intent would be? I know for sure post-interview, but should you wait until you hear back from them to send one? For example, I want to send a letter to PCOM (hello, in love with the school!!) but I don't know whether I should wait until I hear back from my interview. I mean, I don't want to wait until I get a rejection letter to think that maybe if I had sent a letter of intent, it would have made a difference. But then, I don't know what the normal practice of the time period for a letter of intent is.

Help, please :)

Send it now.

ugh I just signed a 40,500 dollar promissory note... someone get me a beer, stat.

NO doctor talk until you have taken your first anatomy exam.

Until then, doctor talk and wearing scrubs is looked upon as "wanna be" attitude.

That is all.

ugh I just signed a 40,500 dollar promissory note... someone get me a beer, stat.

Welcome to the party, but hey I thought it was BYOB!:D

Its not official until you get that refund check. Ask for a beer during Orientation, there will be lots to go around. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Its not official until you get that refund check. Ask for a beer during Orientation, there will be lots to go around. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm counting on it lol.

You'll be dissapointed, [dont know if you want your real name on here] DO Sig Guy... I went with presidential, but I will buy you a 12-pack of your favorite brew if you keep your disdain/dissapointment to a dull roar lol... Hopefully I'll be able to find something better after I've spent some time in philly, but I talked to a few people who liked their experience there so I'm still hopeful.

Anyone know a good place in philly to buy inexpensive non-used furniture?

NO doctor talk until you have taken your first anatomy exam.

Until then, doctor talk and wearing scrubs is looked upon as "wanna be" attitude.

That is all.

That sounds like me seeing as I "wanna-be" a doctor :smuggrin:

good point though i'll try to make the transition from dorky premed to med student with a little more humility and grace in the future :laugh:

ALSO: Does disbursement of financial aid usually occur prior to the first day of classes? Should I have some extra money saved up in anticipation of delays?

I got an offer for free scrubs from Midwestern the other day in the mail... I thought I told them that I'm going to PCOM...?? I've sent them like 8 emails letting them know coupled with at least 2 phone calls. I'm kind of pissed, because I wanted someone to get an interview slot to fill the space...

What all does PCOM give its students for free? In another thread I was informed that POMA (sp?) gives PCOM (and LECOM) students free Littmann III Steths...

Does PCOM make a provision for purchasing a new laptop or does that have to come out of "personal expenses"?

I'm counting on it lol.

You'll be dissapointed, [dont know if you want your real name on here] DO Sig Guy... I went with presidential, but I will buy you a 12-pack of your favorite brew if you keep your disdain/dissapointment to a dull roar lol... Hopefully I'll be able to find something better after I've spent some time in philly, but I talked to a few people who liked their experience there so I'm still hopeful.

Anyone know a good place in philly to buy inexpensive non-used furniture?

That sounds like me seeing as I "wanna-be" a doctor :smuggrin:

good point though i'll try to make the transition from dorky premed to med student with a little more humility and grace in the future :laugh:

ALSO: Does disbursement of financial aid usually occur prior to the first day of classes? Should I have some extra money saved up in anticipation of delays?

I got an offer for free scrubs from Midwestern the other day in the mail... I thought I told them that I'm going to PCOM...?? I've sent them like 8 emails letting them know coupled with at least 2 phone calls. I'm kind of pissed, because I wanted someone to get an interview slot to fill the space...

What all does PCOM give its students for free? In another thread I was informed that POMA (sp?) gives PCOM (and LECOM) students free Littmann III Steths...

Does PCOM make a provision for purchasing a new laptop or does that have to come out of "personal expenses"?

cheap furniture: ikea

disembursement was shortly before classes (I think..) but have money saved up just in case....they'll be plenty of things to buy for your new apt that you won't have planned for no matter how hard u try

you get the littman stethoscope and a white coat (if things havent changed)

no provision for a laptop...and you really don't need a new computer if the one you have still works...there are also plenty of computers on campus

Members don't see this ad :)
cheap furniture: ikea

disembursement was shortly before classes (I think..) but have money saved up just in case....they'll be plenty of things to buy for your new apt that you won't have planned for no matter how hard u try

you get the littman stethoscope and a white coat (if things havent changed)

no provision for a laptop...and you really don't need a new computer if the one you have still works...there are also plenty of computers on campus

My desktop is nice enough (it was our old family computer, but I upgraded it to over a gig of memory) but my laptop is over 4 years old and is in bad shape (no really, i've used it hard). Is it possible to request a provision for a laptop just as a MS1? Doesn't seem right that other schools either 1. offer an included laptop or 2. provide for a laptop in educational loans and pcom wouldn't...

My desktop is nice enough (it was our old family computer, but I upgraded it to over a gig of memory) but my laptop is over 4 years old and is in bad shape (no really, i've used it hard). Is it possible to request a provision for a laptop just as a MS1? Doesn't seem right that other schools either 1. offer an included laptop or 2. provide for a laptop in educational loans and pcom wouldn't...
well....if your definition of requesting a provision is that you don't mind taking our more private loans.....then sure...otherwise...don't count on it....also there is nothing wrong w/ having a desktop in med school

also...the estimated budget (ie way above tuition) should provide enough wiggle room to pay for a decent laptop if you really think you're gonna need it....btw my loans paid for an all-inclusive vacation to the carib over winter break....thank you very much uncle sam

well....if your definition of requesting a provision is that you don't mind taking our more private loans.....then sure...otherwise...don't count on it....also there is nothing wrong w/ having a desktop in med school

also...the estimated budget (ie way above tuition) should provide enough wiggle room to pay for a decent laptop if you really think you're gonna need it....btw my loans paid for an all-inclusive vacation to the carib over winter break....thank you very much uncle sam

That's hilarious. Very nice!

BTW, I'm not a gamer or anything stupid. A "nice" laptop to me would be a Sony Vaio for ~12-1300 from Best Buy...

Loans aregiven out prior to classes started but after the first of the month, so you need to have money to pay a good deal of your august bills. I took out more loans for a laptop because I figured it would be worth it for away rotations. It was a brilliant idea this trimester since they expect us to be at school.

I can count the hours I spent on the computer 1st & 2nd year on one hand (SDN not included)

save your money and skip the laptop

Or join the military and spend my tax dollars

Hey, good luck to those who are studying for COMLEX (and USMLE ;) )

As for furnitures,

Target is set to open soon (dunno when the open date it) ... it will be conveniently located between the school and Presidential (man, traffic along City Avenue and Belmont, Mont, Presidential, and I-76/Lincoln Drive will be HELL)

There are two Ikeas within very short driving distance from school (in Conshohocken and South Philly)

I believe there is a local furniture store somewhere south on City Ave (near St Joes)

There's always Walmart

I'm sure there are a few furniture stores in Manayunk/Roxborough/Chestnut Hill

I'm counting on it lol.

Yea I am! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yea I am! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey I looked around a little in the area... I did find some better spots, but I read some bad things about security. Came down to the layout/cost/utilities... But I told them I'm not signing the lease until I see the apt at the beg. of June. That's still plenty of time to ditch if need-be...

Do (O)MS-2 classes start back up before or after MS1 classes?

Hey I looked around a little in the area... I did find some better spots, but I read some bad things about security. Came down to the layout/cost/utilities... But I told them I'm not signing the lease until I see the apt at the beg. of June. That's still plenty of time to ditch if need-be...

Do (O)MS-2 classes start back up before or after MS1 classes?

They start the same day I believe. You guys will be there 1 week earlier for Orientation. Most likely i'll be there during orientation week helping your class out.

While I was interviewing at PCOM I talked to a guy who said there were some sort of anatomy flash cards or something. He said if you wanted to start studying anatomy early these were the cards to get because they had pretty much everything you needed to know.

Was wondering if something like these exist and if I could get the name of them for the purchase sometime in the near future?

Thanks

While I was interviewing at PCOM I talked to a guy who said there were some sort of anatomy flash cards or something. He said if you wanted to start studying anatomy early these were the cards to get because they had pretty much everything you needed to know.

Was wondering if something like these exist and if I could get the name of them for the purchase sometime in the near future?

Thanks

They are called Netter's Flashcards. I thought they were a waste. To each his own. :cool:

They are called Netter's Flashcards. I thought they were a waste. To each his own. :cool:

They are a waste when you are studying anatomy.

3 years later they are GOLD! :)

Thanks

Dont study anything early. You will just screw it up. Besides anatomy is soo much easier when you can visualize it in the actual body. You will be one of those people who mispronounces everything too.

The only thing you should do before M1 is earn some extra cash and make a might butt groove in your couch because you will not be doing much of that anymore.

Alright, thanks for the info everyone!!

Guess I will just take JonnyG's wonderful advice and kickback for awhile.

Dont study anything early. You will just screw it up. Besides anatomy is soo much easier when you can visualize it in the actual body. You will be one of those people who mispronounces everything too.

The only thing you should do before M1 is earn some extra cash and make a might butt groove in your couch because you will not be doing much of that anymore.

My responses to this post:

:laugh:

and then

:scared:

Have you looked into housing yet bc Sig Nu Guy really thinks that we should all live at presidential :smuggrin:

HAHA very very very funny Max. When you are pissed that it is 90 degrees in your apt in Febuary, i'll make sure to telly you "I TOLD YOU SO". :laugh: :laugh:

DANGGIT JP!!!

You werent my proctor today!! We only have one more OMM Practical, hopefully i'll get lucky. ;)

HAHA very very very funny Max. When you are pissed that it is 90 degrees in your apt in Febuary, i'll make sure to telly you "I TOLD YOU SO". :laugh: :laugh:

He will just join the masses of PCOM second years that move out of Presidential city their second year.

He will just join the masses of PCOM second years that move out of Presidential city their second year.

I guess people have to make mistakes to learn. :rolleyes:

But Max might be in the minority of people that really like Presidential. They only allow those people the opportunity to talk to potential tenents.

I guess people have to make mistakes to learn. :rolleyes:

But Max might be in the minority of people that really like Presidential. They only allow those people the opportunity to talk to potential tenents.

"Max" is, of course, just shorthand for "MaximusD" and is in no way representative of my actual name ;)

I can't help but notice your dripping sarcasm... what did i say about disdain!?

PS

795/mo
1357407.jpg

vs.

850/mo
1357414.jpg

I can't imagine needing a separate dining room and kitchen for any purpose...

"Max" is, of course, just shorthand for "MaximusD" and is in no way representative of my actual name ;)

I can't help but notice your dripping sarcasm... what did i say about disdain!?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. "Max" its all love man!

But not when I play you in Ping Pong. Game on B!tches!!!

Yeah I am not going to live in the Presidential, like a few other places better.

And I am all for this Ping Pong stuff, a little rusty, but after a few games I will be smokin you both!!!

Thanks

They were helpful when I needed to go places and did not want to carry with me big books in order to review. They are not pretty much everything you need to know though...

NEWS: I worked with the facebook techs to create a new facebook network for PCOM. Go to Account then to the Networks tab. On the right side of this screen, you should see an area to enter a new school email to add a college network. Enter your PCOM email address([email protected]) into the blank and join the network.

NEWS: I worked with the facebook techs to create a new facebook network for PCOM. Go to Account then to the Networks tab. On the right side of this screen, you should see an area to enter a new school email to add a college network. Enter your PCOM email address([email protected]) into the blank and join the network.

Niceeeeeeeeeeee

Yo MaximusD, JP, gang,

We just started a PRE-SOMA here at Temple U. Have any interest in attending a meeting? We have our first, I want to call it a preliminary jump-start meeting to curb your expectation for a rousing turn out (though you never know) coming up April 25th, 4:30pm-6pm.
I'd love it if you guys wanted to make an appearance, our Director of Pre-Allied Health will be there, our advisor Dr. David Wald, an ER D.O. PCOM alumn from Temple Hospital/Medical most likely, and one or two reps from SOMA at PCOM.
Lemme know! Open invite to anyone who has interest, just give me a heads up and we'll getcha involved.
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the open house.

Cheers,
Xan

Yo MaximusD, JP, gang,

We just started a PRE-SOMA here at Temple U. Have any interest in attending a meeting? We have our first, I want to call it a preliminary jump-start meeting to curb your expectation for a rousing turn out (though you never know) coming up April 25th, 4:30pm-6pm.
I'd love it if you guys wanted to make an appearance, our Director of Pre-Allied Health will be there, our advisor Dr. David Wald, an ER D.O. PCOM alumn from Temple Hospital/Medical most likely, and one or two reps from SOMA at PCOM.
Lemme know! Open invite to anyone who has interest, just give me a heads up and we'll getcha involved.
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the open house.

Cheers,
Xan

sounds interesting!

I didn't feel like reading all 3 pages of this forum, so bear with me if this has already been posted.

Do any of you PCOMers have any match data for the school, I can't find it anywhere on their web-site.

It is a very nice looking school, except for that awful smell coming from the gym. OH WAIT THAT'S JUST THE SIXERS. (it had to be said)

So I was at work and my mom calls me and tells me "you have one of those small thin envelopes from PCOM..can I open it" And as much as I didn't want to hear her say it as I was pipetting DNA into 6 different PCR plates, she said it - I got rejected :( The tears in my eyes were instantaneous, to the point that I couldn't even see the wells properly, and I hope to god I pipetted into the right wells. The hope left just as soon as it had started. Looks like I won't be seeing any of you fine people next year. Thank you for all the support and help though. I truly appreciated it, and I think regardless of where I'll be, I made some great connections here. Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting to hear for better news :luck: