PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought so...

He seemed pretty bright and like a good lecturer... maybe thats bc I've had so many ****ty (=smart but awful lecturers) profs up here at State...?

At any rate, I am in a real pickle.

Currently, I am getting a D in my biochem metabolism course. In order to graduate, I need at least a C. I need to graduate to complete my matriculation requirements to PCOM. A few weeks ago, I talked to Marsha Williams and she said it would be OK if I dropped biochem and changed my major to Life Science (which doesn't require this particular biochem class)... however, I am wondering if it will really hurt my mentality going into med school and/or if it will put me at a disadvantage. The next exam is AFTER the late-drop period, so if I decide to continue in the course and fail to raise the grade to a C, I no longer meet degree requirements. I am really unsure of what to do at this point... would I have to take the biochem course over the summer if I dropped this... I took intro biochem last semester and got an A-...

Should I drop or should I push onward knowing that I would be risking it all?
risking a med school acceptance + undergrad graduation vs. dropping a class that will mean nothing in the long run....drop it...a few clicks online and problem solved

Members don't see this ad.

Should I drop or should I push onward knowing that I would be risking it all?[/QUOTE]

dude, you've already come so far, don't risk having to take a summer course. Graduate on time and walk with your class knowing that your BS major won't matter once you are a physician. Take some time to relax and spend time with some hobbies and reading up on some stuff before August. If I were in your boat (which I'm not), I'd say its a no brainer. I'd hate to see all your work get screwed by a difficult term final or something and still end up with a D.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are funny

I tell ya...Fogel is much smarter than you think.

I never would doubt his brillance. It is nice when you go to a question for the boards and don't have to bother with all the detail since you have been trained in the uniqueness of diseases

I never would doubt his brillance. It is nice when you go to a question for the boards and don't have to bother with all the detail since you have been trained in the uniqueness of diseases

Won't be a problem since the questions on COMLEX won't bother to give you pertinent details either :laugh:

Got my binder in the mail this week from PCOM... it's so organized and easy to use. I'm going to use it to look up some apt complexes today before I make the trek to philly later today.

Anyone know of any places within 1-2 miles of campus that I could get a single for <800/mo?

so anyone else get a bad feeling after a PCOM interview and still got accepted?? One of my interviewers really killed it for me and now I don't even want to look forward to what might be coming my way in mail, whenever it does :( It was weird. It really made the entire interview that I was looking forward to a bit uncomfortable.

aww im sure u did well.. good luck
i am so nervous for the mail too!

I know how you feel, AMathews. After the interview I kept thinking of all the things I should have said differently, but then it was my first interview. I think we all have such high expectations for ourselves. For Maximus, I second everyone's opinion on dropping. Marsha Williams was one of my interviewers and I was very impressed. She knows PCOM admissions inside and out. I would value whatever she advises.

Question: I know "delayed decision" is different than a hold for grades or a wait list, but does anyone know the actual definition of delayed decision and how to increase chances of acceptance in this status? My apologies in repeating this question from an earlier thread but nobody nailed it and I'm optimistic that some PCOMers might know (U also submitted earlier but I think I made an error as I didn't see it, but we may see a dup).

Sorry for the "s" that I added on AMathew (and "U" should be "I"). It's Friday.

so anyone else get a bad feeling after a PCOM interview and still got accepted?? One of my interviewers really killed it for me and now I don't even want to look forward to what might be coming my way in mail, whenever it does :( It was weird. It really made the entire interview that I was looking forward to a bit uncomfortable.

When did you interview? who interviewed you?

Wow! What did he/she say or do that was so bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview? who interviewed you?

I interviewed yesterday. I was the one who asked you "hey, are you JPHazelton". I dont feel comfortable about saying the interviewer's name on here, just because I think it might be inappropriate. But SHE was not a DO, not a student nor an admissions staff. I'm guessing that sort of narrows it down since there were only three interview groups with 2 person per group. I felt uncomfortable because in the 20 something minutes of the interview, she must have looked up at me maybe twice. The rest of the time she kept looking at my packet she had. She asked me like two questions, one of them which she repeated four times. And it wasn't like one of those "why do you want to be DO" kind of questions where you can get creative with your answer. It was a factual question and I kept answering the same thing, changing my format of the answer but not the content because there was no other way of answering it, but I didn't know what else she wanted to hear from me. Got me all flustered. :( On top of that, I know PCOM has my most recent transcript, but I guess the interviewers didn't have it. So when I was telling them about my post bac classes, they were like I'm sorry, we have no record of it and that got me bummed a little because my post bac grades are excellent and might have made them look at me differently. What made me feel a little better was that I wasn't the only person who felt that way. Someone else who had the same interviewer came back and had similar thoughts about her interview.

I don't know. I was so excited about the interview. And i was ready to take anything thrown towards me, good or bad, and make the best of it. but I don't feel so confident anymore *sigh*:(

I interviewed yesterday. I was the one who asked you "hey, are you JPHazelton".

Oh! A lot of girls ask me that so I cant keep track. I AM more impressive in person though, arent I? ;)

I dont feel comfortable about saying the interviewer's name on here, just because I think it might be inappropriate. But SHE was not a DO, not a student nor an admissions staff.

:confused:

No idea. You can PM me the info.

I'm guessing that sort of narrows it down since there were only three interview groups with 2 person per group. I felt uncomfortable because in the 20 something minutes of the interview, she must have looked up at me maybe twice. The rest of the time she kept looking at my packet she had. She asked me like two questions, one of them which she repeated four times. And it wasn't like one of those "why do you want to be DO" kind of questions where you can get creative with your answer. It was a factual question and I kept answering the same thing, changing my format of the answer but not the content because there was no other way of answering it, but I didn't know what else she wanted to hear from me. Got me all flustered. :(

Dont always go by a certain interviewer. You sometimes cant tell

On top of that, I know PCOM has my most recent transcript, but I guess the interviewers didn't have it. So when I was telling them about my post bac classes, they were like I'm sorry, we have no record of it and that got me bummed a little because my post bac grades are excellent and might have made them look at me differently.

Make sure they get the info before your file is reviewed.

What made me feel a little better was that I wasn't the only person who felt that way. Someone else who had the same interviewer came back and had similar thoughts about her interview.

These late season interviews are tough. A lot of the interviewers are a little more skeptical about applicants because of the late "I didnt get into an MD school" surge. About a month ago PCOM was swamped with applications. No one is clueless as to the reason. Admissions knows why.

I don't know. I was so excited about the interview. And i was ready to take anything thrown towards me, good or bad, and make the best of it. but I don't feel so confident anymore *sigh*:(

Nothing you can do now. Just make sure your file is complete and keep your fingers crossed.

<my fingers have been crossed since monday>
soo soo nervous.. :oops:

Good luck to everyone who just interviewed.:luck: :luck:

amatthew: Try not to stress out about it. I am sure it will be fine. :luck: :)

MaximusD: DROP THAT CLASS AND GRADUATE!!! :D

I interviewed yesterday. I was the one who asked you "hey, are you JPHazelton". I dont feel comfortable about saying the interviewer's name on here, just because I think it might be inappropriate. But SHE was not a DO, not a student nor an admissions staff. I'm guessing that sort of narrows it down since there were only three interview groups with 2 person per group. I felt uncomfortable because in the 20 something minutes of the interview, she must have looked up at me maybe twice. The rest of the time she kept looking at my packet she had. She asked me like two questions, one of them which she repeated four times. And it wasn't like one of those "why do you want to be DO" kind of questions where you can get creative with your answer. It was a factual question and I kept answering the same thing, changing my format of the answer but not the content because there was no other way of answering it, but I didn't know what else she wanted to hear from me. Got me all flustered. :( On top of that, I know PCOM has my most recent transcript, but I guess the interviewers didn't have it. So when I was telling them about my post bac classes, they were like I'm sorry, we have no record of it and that got me bummed a little because my post bac grades are excellent and might have made them look at me differently. What made me feel a little better was that I wasn't the only person who felt that way. Someone else who had the same interviewer came back and had similar thoughts about her interview.

Relax, and hopefully everything will work out for the best. I am sorry that I couldn't be there in person to support you. I spoke to your friend and she told me that you were interviewing Thurs, and unfortunately that was right before our cardio exam. I was still with you in spirit though! :)

Sooooo

I was looking at a few apt complexes, and on the surface I think that I like the Presidential City Apts the best... although admittedly, I wasn't able to look at Beekman bc they had rented out their models. I was looking at their classic 1 bedrooms. They're going to contact me this week with availability.
I was reading the reviews online and people complained of roaches/mice but I take these ratings sites with a huge grain of salt. My current apt complex at state college got a 17% positive review but I've had no problems other than with the hot water heater...

Any comments from current PCOMers? After consideration, I'd like to stay really close to PCOM for the first year... ie. walking distance so I ruled out Manayunk for now.

Sooooo

I was looking at a few apt complexes, and on the surface I think that I like the Presidential City Apts the best... although admittedly, I wasn't able to look at Beekman bc they had rented out their models. I was looking at their classic 1 bedrooms. They're going to contact me this week with availability.
I was reading the reviews online and people complained of roaches/mice but I take these ratings sites with a huge grain of salt. My current apt complex at state college got a 17% positive review but I've had no problems other than with the hot water heater...

Any comments from current PCOMers? After consideration, I'd like to stay really close to PCOM for the first year... ie. walking distance so I ruled out Manayunk for now.

Another option is to look across the street into Montgomery County and see if there are decent apartments. Also, if you're willing to hike (or drive), look at housing areas near St. Joseph university

I can't even begin to imagine what traffic will be like when Target opens up

Sooooo

The majority of people move out of Presidential their second year. There are really nice and reasonably priced apartment on Montgomery Ave in Bala Cynwyd/Narberth/ardmore/bryn mawr.

Sooooo

I currently live in Presidential. And I have several things that you may want to consider.

First the pros:
1. Its very close to campus
2. The rent is pretty decent
3. It's quiet and a pretty good area

Now, the cons:
1. The parking situation is terrible (hard to find parking if you come home anytime after 8pm usually, and it gets worse when it snows)
2. I've heard from others that you only want to live in the 1 of 2 buildings and luckily I live in one of the two. Even so why is it that usually only one elevator out of 3 is ever working. And maintenance never fixes the elevators until the 3rd one goes down as well.
3. The bathroom's seem to have an uncanny knack for plumbing problems. A friend of mine in the same bldg had to come up to use my bathroom because her plumbing became unexplicably back-up, and the same thing has been occurring intermittently in my apt. Maintenance comes by to "fix" the problem, but within 2 days it reoccurs.
4. 3am fire alarms... need I say more
5. Its either 105 degrees or 20 degrees in the apartment. We don't pay for heat, and we can't control it either apparently. It got so bad one time this winter that even with all the windows in our apartment open we had to resort to AC to cool the place down! :eek:

I could go on but I think you get the idea. If you want to know more just ask.

Sooooo

besides beekman (where I'm at and will be for a 3rd year), greenbriar fits the bill for what you're looking for

Don't fall into temtation to rent at Presidential. Sign a lease at a smaller, better kept apartment complex. (Beekman)

I live at Henry on the Park for a few years. Not too bad.

Don't fall into temtation to rent at Presidential. Sign a lease at a smaller, better kept apartment complex. (Beekman)

Correct! Run away..... Run far away and never return. Presidential is a trap, and I am amazed that I actually pay rent for some of the crap that I've had to put up with. You live and you learn!

At the PCOM brunch yesterday, one of the speakers (I think it was Dr. Schure) said that they received over 8,000 applications this year.. Anyone know how many they received the years before? Just trying to gauge how much of an increase it was this year from years past. I think in previous posts, people were saying that PCOM received around 4,000. i'm not sure about the validity of that, so correct me if i'm wrong.

At the PCOM brunch yesterday, one of the speakers (I think it was Dr. Schure) said that they received over 8,000 applications this year.. Anyone know how many they received the years before? Just trying to gauge how much of an increase it was this year from years past. I think in previous posts, people were saying that PCOM received around 4,000. i'm not sure about the validity of that, so correct me if i'm wrong.

When I applied in 2001 it was under 4,000

The past few years PCOM has been pushing 5,000

This year PCOM main was over 5,000 and with Georgia added in, over 8,000

PCOM main handles all the applications.

I see some of the admissions people as patients in the OMM office...you premeds are working them hard this year...all sorts of back and neck problems!

He mentioned that it was 8k for both campuses combined. I would imagine that PCOM-Ga gets between 2-3 thousand applications, leaving a total of 5-6 thousand of those for PCOM-Philly. Still a record, but not as dramatic as going from 4k to 8k. Either way, it's still the most competitive, applied-to DO school in the nation.

He mentioned that it was 8k for both campuses combined. I would imagine that PCOM-Ga gets between 2-3 thousand applications, leaving a total of 5-6 thousand of those for PCOM-Philly. Still a record, but not as dramatic as going from 4k to 8k. Either way, it's still the most competitive, applied-to DO school in the nation.

Its nice to see that there is still room for them to grow in terms of applications. In the past it out lead the other schools AND you didn't have the luxury of pushing a button to add another school. The common app has just increased PCOMs popularity (thank god i already got in).

I was just recently given an acceptance to PCOM after a delayed decision, very excited. After reading this thread I am scared though, as my last name is FOGEL. LOL I have a feeling Dr. Fogel is going to have it out for me.

PS - sorry to change the subject

I was just recently given an acceptance to PCOM after a delayed decision, very excited. After reading this thread I am scared though, as my last name is FOGEL. LOL I have a feeling Dr. Fogel is going to have it out for me.

don't worry...you will just be another "gentleman in the red hat" to him

Uh oh!

I disagree with Taus...I think you are in for it!

doh......(goes to start studying patho immediately)

don't worry...you will just be another "gentleman in the red hat" to him

I like it best when he mistakes people, i.e. someone is wearing stripes and he says plaid. Or better yet, when he mistakes a "she" for a "he".

The best part about Fogel's classes are the $1 bills he hands out when he thinks you're too stupid to know the correct answer, and you suprise him by knowing it! (in fact this morning he handed out 92 cents to someone (he was out of $1 bills)

So the summer biochem course... good idea or waste of time.. I would have to skip a vacation, pay an extra month of rent, and pay 700 dollars..

I would much rather pay someone much much less for their old notes :)

I'm not "in the know" yet. When does that class start Max?

I am still waiting for the binder, should arrive soon I guess.

So the summer biochem course... good idea or waste of time.. I would have to skip a vacation, pay an extra month of rent, and pay 700 dollars..

I would much rather pay someone much much less for their old notes :)
thats way too much to give up for what you get in return (ie the pleasure of paying to take biochem in your last truly free summer ever)

sorry onstarr...there were def a lot of good applicants put on hold/waitlist this year.

have you gotten in elsewhere?

Best of luck!!

yea so far unecom & touro
but pcom really did it for me. :love:
hopefully the waitlist starts to move once the 2nd deposit is due.

I posted this in the Osteopathic section too, but I am wondering if anyone here would have any information for me. Can anyone tell me if PCOM allows you to do 4th year rotations in areas other than Pennsylvania? The website says "Third and fourth year clinical clerkships take place in 32 affiliated hospitals, five health care centers and in numerous outpatient facilities and physicians' offices, in both rural and urban settings throughout the state". I would like to do all my 4th year rotations in NY and CT because thats where I eventually want to get a residency, does anyone know if this would be a problem?

I posted this in the Osteopathic section too, but I am wondering if anyone here would have any information for me. Can anyone tell me if PCOM allows you to do 4th year rotations in areas other than Pennsylvania? The website says "Third and fourth year clinical clerkships take place in 32 affiliated hospitals, five health care centers and in numerous outpatient facilities and physicians' offices, in both rural and urban settings throughout the state". I would like to do all my 4th year rotations in NY and CT because thats where I eventually want to get a residency, does anyone know if this would be a problem?

You are allowed to do any non core rotation where ever you want. That is at least three your third year (selectives, amb surgery, elective). Then all you electives for fourth year. Currently St. Barnabas takes a PCOM student for every rotation for every month so that is another way to get to NY. It really wont matter if you do your rotations in a certain spot. It can't hurt though

Currently, during your fourth year at PCOM, you are required to rotate within the PCOM network for a maximum of 5 months. That leaves 1 selective, 5 electives, and 1 vacation month to rotate wherever you please. This is in addition to the 1 selective and 1 elective during your third year. St. Barnabas Hospital is in the Bronx and is also in PCOM's network. Basically, if you want to get back to NY or CT, you have ample opportunities to make it happen.

(edit: sorry for the redundancy, my post was moved here by a mod)

Wow! The faculty and staff whipped us today in trivia bowl, but seriously some of the questions were far out. For example what is the only state with a monument to an insect. And what is the cash value of an oscar's statuette?:laugh:

Wow! The faculty and staff whipped us today in trivia bowl, but seriously some of the questions were far out. For example what is the only state with a monument to an insect. And what is the cash value of an oscar's statuette?:laugh:

I see my classes record of never winning ANYTHING continues. We may have to drug the first years for the powderpuff game and softball game. oops shouldn't have mentioned that.