PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^ aww sorry to hear!
I hate getting those mails :(

Members don't see this ad.

So I was at work and my mom calls me and tells me "you have one of those small thin envelopes from PCOM..can I open it" And as much as I didn't want to hear her say it as I was pipetting DNA into 6 different PCR plates, she said it - I got rejected :( The tears in my eyes were instantaneous, to the point that I couldn't even see the wells properly, and I hope to god I pipetted into the right wells. The hope left just as soon as it had started. Looks like I won't be seeing any of you fine people next year. Thank you for all the support and help though. I truly appreciated it, and I think regardless of where I'll be, I made some great connections here. Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting to hear for better news :luck:

That really stinks! Still here to support you in whatever you decide to do for the future. Did you apply elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
red_shirt.jpg

can anyone post what kinds of things you should be looking for? what to wear? This COULD be my first open house. So nervous?

:eek: :scared: :oops: :love:

So I was at work and my mom calls me and tells me "you have one of those small thin envelopes from PCOM..can I open it" And as much as I didn't want to hear her say it as I was pipetting DNA into 6 different PCR plates, she said it - I got rejected :( The tears in my eyes were instantaneous, to the point that I couldn't even see the wells properly, and I hope to god I pipetted into the right wells. The hope left just as soon as it had started. Looks like I won't be seeing any of you fine people next year. Thank you for all the support and help though. I truly appreciated it, and I think regardless of where I'll be, I made some great connections here. Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting to hear for better news :luck:

I'm so sorry -- if it makes you feel any better I got one from PSU-HMC (a top choice of mine) two days ago as well. We were all hoping to have you as a classmate...

Don't fall off the PCOM planet, bc you're fun to talk to! Wil you be going elsewhere or can we possible expect you as a MS-1 our MS-2 year?

What a bummer, AMathew. The only good thing is that the PCOM interview sure does give a person an opportunity to think about the strategy for the next interview. I kept thinking about all the additional things I should have said. But you WILL have a next interview. You seem very bright and energetic so I know it is only a matter of time for you. Don't give up, keep on pipetting that DNA and it will pay off. You will definitely take away some good lessons and experience to make you a tough contender, in the near future. Sounds like you gave it 100% and you can be proud of that! Go celebrate that part!

:confused:
i just got a letter saying that the admissions committee agreed to see my 3rd term grades (i'm in pcom biomed) and april 2007 mcat scores.

question 1: i decided not to take the april mcat (it's today...) that will look bad?
q-2: when i interviewed late march, they said the class was 97% full, does this give me a chance? grades will probably come out end of may...

:confused:
i just got a letter saying that the admissions committee agreed to see my 3rd term grades (i'm in pcom biomed) and april 2007 mcat scores.

question 1: i decided not to take the april mcat (it's today...) that will look bad?
q-2: when i interviewed late march, they said the class was 97% full, does this give me a chance? grades will probably come out end of may...

u probably need to tell them about not taking the mcat sooner than later. Most biomeds are in the same boat with needing to show how they do third term. They tend to find a way to get them in to the class

I'm so sorry -- if it makes you feel any better I got one from PSU-HMC (a top choice of mine) two days ago as well. We were all hoping to have you as a classmate...

Don't fall off the PCOM planet, bc you're fun to talk to! Wil you be going elsewhere or can we possible expect you as a MS-1 our MS-2 year?

awwww thank you (and ruralDO)!! you all are so incredibly awesome and sweet, and I am definitely going to regret not being able to go to school with some of you and meet others. About where I'd be next year, I have no idea...being an indian girl, im on a time constraint...where i need to get married sooner than later (and believe me, somehow i have no say in any of this:smuggrin: ) I was really hoping to get into a med school this fall, but in case I don't, I might be forced to take another less time consuming route. According to my parents, they gave me 6 years (4 undergrad + 2 working) but this is it, either i get in med school this year or I'm to do some accerelated nursing program or something....but no more "wasting time". Its a bit disconcerting to see your life long dream slowly being slipped away :(

So whether I'll be an MS1 next year? Only time will tell. Got my fingers crossed on Touro now:scared:

awwww thank you (and ruralDO)!! you all are so incredibly awesome and sweet, and I am definitely going to regret not being able to go to school with some of you and meet others. About where I'd be next year, I have no idea...being an indian girl, im on a time constraint...where i need to get married sooner than later (and believe me, somehow i have no say in any of this:smuggrin: ) I was really hoping to get into a med school this fall, but in case I don't, I might be forced to take another less time consuming route. According to my parents, they gave me 6 years (4 undergrad + 2 working) but this is it, either i get in med school this year or I'm to do some accerelated nursing program or something....but no more "wasting time". Its a bit disconcerting to see your life long dream slowly being slipped away :(

So whether I'll be an MS1 next year? Only time will tell. Got my fingers crossed on Touro now:scared:

Perhaps you need to stand up for yourself. Certain cultural traditions have no place in the modern world, in my opinion. You are not "just a woman"... you are a human being with rights.

If you want to be a doctor, please, PLEASE do not settle for anything else. You will only be doing yourself and future patients a disservice.

In psychology we discuss decatastrophizing -- if you don't listen to your family what is the WORST that could happen? What could you possibly lose if you DO listen and give up on becoming Dr. Matthews?

It's obviously your decision and I intended no disrespect... I am just voicing my disagreement and upset for the possibility that you may not be able to realize your dreams.

Let me know if there is anything I can do. Best of luck with Touro!!!

Sometimes I get the feeling that Indian parents living here in US are more conservative than in India. My cousine in India talked her parents that she wanted to do her masters in engineering and did not want to get married, and her parents agreed. She just completed her masters and getting married at 26. I wish you all the best and hope you get accepted to Touro.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck with touro.... and maybe you should use the argument that you can meet a fellow indian med student, or get arranged while in med school and marry.... you don't have to wait till after you graduate. Good luck, wish you the best, don't give up on your dream... your parents might get mad at you, but if they'll get over it eventually bc they love good luck! again:)

good luck with touro.... and maybe you should use the argument that you can meet a fellow indian med student, or get arranged while in med school and marry.... you don't have to wait till after you graduate. Good luck, wish you the best, don't give up on your dream... your parents might get mad at you, but if they'll get over it eventually bc they love good luck! again:)

ahh if only my life was that simple. the problem is, i already have a bf, and he's a first year resident. But his INDIAN parents dont want him to get married before I am doing something professional. So the two of us are kind of stuck in the middle, with no where to go.

Thanks again Max for your support. But Indian parents, especially the ones who recently immigrated here such as my parents, are the most difficult to deal with. They are sooo immersed in trying to keep the indian culture alive (which I don't have a problem with) that they have to do things a certain way, and anything that goes against the way it needs to be done, is wrong. According to my parents, girls who are not married by the age of 24 (and 25 if you really want to push it), might as well kiss a good marriage goodbye. And I'm turning 24 soon...I don't agree with it, but i have to live with it because these are my family's cardinal rules. You gotta love being an immigrant!

ahh if only my life was that simple. the problem is, i already have a bf, and he's a first year resident. But his INDIAN parents dont want him to get married before I am doing something professional. So the two of us are kind of stuck in the middle, with no where to go.

Thanks again Max for your support. But Indian parents, especially the ones who recently immigrated here such as my parents, are the most difficult to deal with. They are sooo immersed in trying to keep the indian culture alive (which I don't have a problem with) that they have to do things a certain way, and anything that goes against the way it needs to be done, is wrong. According to my parents, girls who are not married by the age of 24 (and 25 if you really want to push it), might as well kiss a good marriage goodbye. And I'm turning 24 soon...I don't agree with it, but i have to live with it because these are my family's cardinal rules. You gotta love being an immigrant!

Soo...what happens if you take another year off, reapply, and get married later? Do they not speak to you or something? Is having a "good marriage" in your parent's eyes more important than a dream career? Especially when you can get married later and have both. Maybe I just don't get it because I'm not Indian, but it seems wrong to sacrifice all this for your parents' twisted view about marriage. What if you didn't have a boyfriend at all? How would you get married.

hey amatthew, i hope everything works out for you, but just remember, everything happens for a reason! not getting into PCOM may just mean there is something better out there for you. lots of luck :luck:

hey amatthew, i hope everything works out for you, but just remember, everything happens for a reason! not getting into PCOM may just mean there is something better out there for you. lots of luck :luck:

I believe she has already said that she is in agreement with these ideals. It is not for us to judge or try to change. I know people believe that certain ways of thinking are not right or correct, however, maybe they are there for a reason?

I think differences and uniqueness are what make this world a beautiful place to live in. To each their own, and it does not seem like she is being forced to live this way. No need to continue trying to convince her on how you think she needs to be living her life.

I believe she has already said that she is in agreement with these ideals. It is not for us to judge or try to change. I know people believe that certain ways of thinking are not right or correct, however, maybe they are there for a reason?

I think differences and uniqueness are what make this world a beautiful place to live in. To each their own, and it does not seem like she is being forced to live this way. No need to continue trying to convince her on how you think she needs to be living her life.

I agree,

A more western based advice has already been given. Without judging other's cultures I think we need to let her decide what she desires to do.

Hopefully there'll be another time!

I don't agree with it and I'm allowed to voice my opinions. Amathew thanked me for my input... why can't you do the same? I think she's perfectly capable of speaking for herself. I think that she'd be dissapointed to not become a doctor and I was trying to express my upset that she would let anything come between her and that dream.

I'm confident that Amathew is going to be just fine, though... let us know if you hear some good news from Touro!!

I agree,

A more western based advice has already been given. Without judging other's cultures I think we need to let her decide what she desires to do.

PS we ascribe to a particular set of beliefs because we believe in them. I believe that people have the freedom to make their own decisions within reason. I believe that it is a universal right, not a societal one... She has expressed her decision to stay within her cultural norms and that's awesome, but I just wanted to make sure that that was the case... She had sounded quite dissapointed and it frustrated me to the point that I was unwilling to ignore it..

I don't agree with it and I'm allowed to voice my opinions. Amathew thanked me for my input... why can't you do the same? I think she's perfectly capable of speaking for herself. I think that she'd be dissapointed to not become a doctor and I was trying to express my upset that she would let anything come between her and that dream.

I'm confident that Amathew is going to be just fine, though... let us know if you hear some good news from Touro!!

Not trying to start an argument here. I just felt too many people were trying to do what you were doing. If one person does it and she responds, that is ok, but when 3 or 4 people are doing it, its a bit excessive imo.

ok folks, I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you for showing your concern, and I'm sure if I was in any of your situation, I'd feel that I'd need to say something as well. Yes, it is true..I do have the choice to decide what's best for me, and regardless of what I do, I'm hoping thats what I'm meant to do in the end. Please please, lets not start an argument because of me and my personal problems. Let's not forget, this is after all the PCOM network...lets talk about PCOM. So how about that open house this saturday, eh?

ok folks, I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you for showing your concern, and I'm sure if I was in any of your situation, I'd feel that I'd need to say something as well. Yes, it is true..I do have the choice to decide what's best for me, and regardless of what I do, I'm hoping thats what I'm meant to do in the end. Please please, lets not start an argument because of me and my personal problems. Let's not forget, this is after all the PCOM network...lets talk about PCOM. So how about that open house this saturday, eh?

Sorry -- my bad.

I got all of those PCOM emails from both PCOM and my undergrad advisors... it was nice to think that i am finished with that whole process... the mcat, the applications, etc...

granted, I am still waiting to hear from Drexel and Jeff...+pissed+

what is this accelerated nursing thing? sounds interesting...

Please please, lets not start an argument because of me and my personal problems. Let's not forget, this is after all the PCOM network...lets talk about PCOM.

I agree. My suggestion is to dump the Indian boyfriend and marry MaximusD. I seem to recall him posting that he broke up with his fiance. By marrying him you can play the "married couple can't attend med schools in different cities" angle on reapplication next year. He's not Indian, but I bet he dressed up as one as a kid. Whether or not you keep him depends on how he performs (in the classroom, of course).

don't worry....so will probably half your class at PCOM....I think its actually an admissions requirement here;)

Along with turning down temple................................I had to bust on it.

what is this accelerated nursing thing? sounds interesting...

its a program for those with a bachelor's degree to get a BSN in one year. Not my cup of tea, if you ask me, but hey...lots of people are doing it, and you are set to a good lifestyle a year after you're in. So I can see why people go for it. A bunch of schools in Philly offer it...Drexel, Jeff, Temple, Penn to name some.

its a program for those with a bachelor's degree to get a BSN in one year. Not my cup of tea, if you ask me, but hey...lots of people are doing it, and you are set to a good lifestyle a year after you're in. So I can see why people go for it. A bunch of schools in Philly offer it...Drexel, Jeff, Temple, Penn to name some.

wow... that's pretty interesting, i will have to take a look !! the only problem i have with nursing is that I would hate to take orders knowing that IF I had extra years of school, I would be the one barking at others... :smuggrin:

wow... that's pretty interesting, i will have to take a look !! the only problem i have with nursing is that I would hate to take orders knowing that IF I had extra years of school, I would be the one barking at others... :smuggrin:

i wouldnt necessarily say barking...but asking politely (that's why I'd be the beloved doctor :D ) Unless ofcourse you're a surgeon in which case you're doing nothing but barking in order to be heard in the OR. But yea....I'd hate to be the one taking all the orders...but then I read this book called My Sister's Keeper (a great book I must say!!) where the family had a daughter with leukemia, and they kept turning to the nurse for answers to all their questions, and the nurse had a far deeper relationship with the kid than her doctors. I want to have that form of relationship with my patients (granted I ever become a doctor) :smuggrin:

i wouldnt necessarily say barking...but asking politely (that's why I'd be the beloved doctor :D ) Unless ofcourse you're a surgeon in which case you're doing nothing but barking in order to be heard in the OR. But yea....I'd hate to be the one taking all the orders...but then I read this book called My Sister's Keeper (a great book I must say!!) where the family had a daughter with leukemia, and they kept turning to the nurse for answers to all their questions, and the nurse had a far deeper relationship with the kid than her doctors. I want to have that form of relationship with my patients (granted "when"I ever become a doctor) :smuggrin:

I choose to keep the faith!:thumbup:

are you allowed to do your rotations at allopathic sites during your 3rd or 4th year for your electives???

I guess we can call roxborough and chestnut hill Osteopathic hospitals....and I think part of the Pinnacle system is a mostly Osteopathic hospital...but I could be wrong

Could be though in reality im just making a statement that in pa it doesn't really matter. My point was more too how people just don't understand how it works in philly and most of the pa schools. Outside of penn, no one can support their students in house and we all mix on our rotations.

Could be though in reality im just making a statement that in pa it doesn't really matter. My point was more too how people just don't understand how it works in philly and most of the pa schools. Outside of penn, no one can support their students in house and we all mix on our rotations.
gotcha...if my brain wasn't fried from studying renal phys all day then I may have picked that up....

btw....so thats the reason penn students are the only ones in the city who don't rotate w/ the other schools....I thought it was just b/c they are so much better then everyone...my bad...

gotcha...if my brain wasn't fried from studying renal phys all day then I may have picked that up....

btw....so thats the reason penn students are the only ones in the city who don't rotate w/ the other schools....I thought it was just b/c they are so much better then everyone...my bad...

actually believe it or not some of PCOM's rotation sites are also Penn rotation site ... I've rotated with a few of them :)

(ie St Luke's Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Hospital, etc)

and if you rotate at St. Barnabas (which is in danger of being removed from the PCOM network), you may rotate with Cornell students. They're really on their game and I had fun with that.

and if you rotate at St. Barnabas (which is in danger of being removed from the PCOM network), you may rotate with Cornell students. They're really on their game and I had fun with that.

Hi BklynWill, why do you say it is in danger of being removed?

I hope everyone had a good time!

Hey peoples! Sorry I missed out on the titties conversation, it's entertaining nonetheless...

I am applying this summer and I am uber interesed in the D.O./M.P.H. program. Has anyone completed this program? Is there anyone in it right now? Here are my questions:

1. Do you take time off med school to get the master's?
2. What are the electives like?
3. How many people are in the program?
4. Do you feel separated from the other classes?

I have many more questions, but I think I'll just start here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a titty-rific day! :)

Hey peoples! Sorry I missed out on the titties conversation, it's entertaining nonetheless...

I am applying this summer and I am uber interesed in the D.O./M.P.H. program. Has anyone completed this program? Is there anyone in it right now? Here are my questions:

1. Do you take time off med school to get the master's?
2. What are the electives like?
3. How many people are in the program?
4. Do you feel separated from the other classes?

I have many more questions, but I think I'll just start here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a titty-rific day! :)

!. Master's is done over five years. your second year (classroom) is split over two years to allow you to take your master classes.
2. We have a good amount of electives. Whatever you want to do.
3. The numbers are usually 5-8. Not positive.
4. They leave their regular class behind and become part of the class behind them. You won't graduate with the people you went through the biggest bonding experiences with like anatomy.

As far as I know, no regular posters from PCOM are in a joint degree program.

Thanks, that was helpful.

!. Master's is done over five years. your second year (classroom) is split over two years to allow you to take your master classes.
4. They leave their regular class behind and become part of the class behind them. You won't graduate with the people you went through the biggest bonding experiences with like anatomy.

I am on an independent joint degree and it is not a DO/MPH...so I won't be of help anyway...until I graduate that is...but that's another story...ok 10-4 :sleep: